November 19, 2017, 02:52:38 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564310 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5920 on: June 06, 2017, 10:13:53 PM »
I was the token NES at a speech contest where the criteria used to judge students were:
* they need to be taught by the judges, if they're not in their classes they're dismissed because they don't know their personality.
* they to smile at the judges in classes and in the hallways
* they have to have a teacher, "...like [their] face,"
* they can't be as good as or better than the judges at English - that's bad for school morale,
* and lastly, but just as important if not more so, they need to have a speech title that is a standard essay/morals topic in Korean schools but with a body of [sometimes incomprehensible, often mispronounced, sometimes made-up] nouns and adjectives strung together in no particular order in a meaningless body of text that is delivered at auctioneer speed.

EDIT: I forgot to add context: the KTs loved him because he spoke so fast (like auctioneer-fast) it meant his pronunciation was the best in the group and that meant his English was the best and he should win.

This is the first time since the contest started I'd been asked for my opinion but the teachers had been making slight digs at me since I got there. Turns out they didn't want me there but the VP did and they were BITTER.
KT1: ... but you gave him the lowest score!
Gidget: But you just said it doesn't matter what I thought or scored because you are going to change my scores to match yours anyway. So it's all OK.
KT1: But you gave him the lowest score!
KT3: I think she wants to know why you scored him like that.
Gidget: Oh! Uh, he gave the worst speech I've ever heard an-
KT1: You are wrong. His title was amazing!
Gidget: The title was good but the rest was gibberish.
KT1: What?
Gidget: Gibberish. Um, nonsense. It was nonsense. It was a bad presentation and it didn't make any sense.
KT2: No. You didn't understand it because you are American.
Gidget: Uh-
KT1: Yes. You only understand American English. We are KTs. We have to understand many students with many different accents because our students are so good many of them go overseas to study.
KT3: He is a science student, too. So he has to be smart. And he is good-looking and kind in class. It makes it harder to understand him.
KT1: It is a failing with you American teachers. You only understand American and know American. Our students learn English as a second language. Their accents aren't the same as yours. You never understand other accents from other countries.
KT2: Yes, you shouldn't judge our students by your American standards.
Gidget: I'm South African.
KT2: What?
Gidget: You introduced me to everyone as South African, too.
KT2: Then why are you judging by American standards? You should learn a second language then you would know how difficult it is.
Gidget: No.
Gidget: South African. I'm from South Africa. It's a multicultural country. Everyone knows at least 2 languages. Most people know more. I know 3. We're used to people with accents, the important thing is communication.
KT1: You don-
Gidget: He has a low score because he spoke too fast. He made up words. He mispronounced most of the rest. He forgot his speech several times and when that happened he turned and rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers at us. No one else did that. But more than anything else his speech isn't a speech because there aren't any articles, pronouns or verbs.
KT1: It's because he studied in Australia for 3 months. You just don't understand their accent or words.
Gidget: They'd fail him, too. They like verbs.
KT3: What do you know about Australia?! Australia is far away from South Africa and America. I went to Australia for 3 months to study! He is a science student. They would love him.
Gidget: My cousins were born in Australia. 2 of them are teachers there. I also have friends in Australia. I've visited there. I've lived there. No one speaks like that and if a student spoke like that in a speech contest they'd fail him and bring his family in for a conference. His 'sentences' have no verbs. In his entire speech, a double-leaded page in 14 point, there are 7 verbs. Even if he put verbs in, it still wouldn't make sense because the speech is made up of random words!
KT2: I know the problem! Gidget is marking the content.
Gidget: Wait, what?
KT1 & 3: Why? The content? Why the content? Are you reading the speeches?
Gidget: Uhm, just his. I wanted to know what he was saying and I couldn't understand his speech.
KT1: But why are you marking the content?!
Gidget: The rubric has content on it.
KT2: Oh, that doesn't count for anything. That's for the vice-principal.
KT1: In Korean: Really! I don't like NTs. They make everything so difficult and complicated. So is everyone OK? He wins.
KT2: In Korean: He's a good student. He is always quiet and he doesn't sleep in English class and he doesn't argue with me about English. He always says hello to me in my class.
KT3: In Korean: He always says hello to me in the hallyway, too.
KT1 & 3 agree and remark on his looks and and how KT 1 taught him last year. They also spend some time commenting on his title and how it was the best title out of all the other contestants.
KT3: Gidget, he wants to go to a famous high school and he needs the English prize to get in. Also, we like him. He is a good student.
KT2 asks KT1 and 3 in Korean what to do about my score sheets because my scores are in Korean.
Gidget: It's OK. KT1 told me to write it in pencil and not pen so she would be able to change my scores when I went home.
KT1: ...You understand Korean?
Gidget: I understand enough.

I admit I was a tad bolshy but I'm not going to take part in speech contests again. They suck the soul out of me.

Dude! Either I'm Jeff Goldblum, staring at a monumental pile of BS, or you're working with a bunch of folks whose brains are comprised of nothing but the above... I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I'm fairly level-headed and emotionally stoic, but I'd have gone to war with these mullets. Kudos for showing more restraint than most sane people would be able to muster.
I'm judging a speech contest on Thursday and though mine isn't close to the absurdity of yours, it's still going to be nauseating.

I've 'edited' all 9 of the speeches, the errors ranged from bad to incomprehensible. What bugged me more was the content, the only one I'll probably award the highest score to is one of the shorter ones of the girl speaking about her family. The language isn't fancy, the length isn't long, but at least it's original. The other essays are of 5 girls, yes 5 girls, all delivering a speech on how the want to become pastry chefs.... What an amazing coincidence, all striving for the same career path. The other one is definitely the longest, but it's completely dull; it explains how Hangul is the most sophisticated writing system in the world. Last year he spoke about how kimchi was the greatest food on Earth.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5921 on: June 07, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
When you feel a pebble in your shoe and you keep taking it off to find the bugger but never can and it turns out the damn thing was in your sock the whole time and how in the **** did it get in there?

In other news, I spent a couple of hours last night tweaking the lesson for my grade 2 cuties and turning it into a work of art. Now I've just been told that they're skipping this lesson and going right into the next chapter. I mean, I'm prepared for it. But it's like I'm tossing them pop-tarts instead of the double-fudge chocolate chip cookies I slaved over, and I can't eat them myself. GIVE ME MY LIFE BACK

Online Savant

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5922 on: June 07, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »
I hate being out in Korea on rainy days. Having to slalom my way past the masses who have an umbrella in one hand and a smartphone in the other, not looking where they're going or whose coming their way. Idiots!

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5923 on: June 07, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »
I hate being out in Korea on rainy days. Having to slalom my way past the masses who have an umbrella in one hand and a smartphone in the other, not looking where they're going or whose coming their way. Idiots!
My pet peeve is when I'm standing on the sidewalk and get splashed by cars speeding past.  >:(

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #5924 on: June 07, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »
I was the token NES at a speech contest where the criteria used to judge students were:
* they need to be taught by the judges, if they're not in their classes they're dismissed because they don't know their personality.
* they to smile at the judges in classes and in the hallways
* they have to have a teacher, "...like [their] face,"
* they can't be as good as or better than the judges at English - that's bad for school morale,
* and lastly, but just as important if not more so, they need to have a speech title that is a standard essay/morals topic in Korean schools but with a body of [sometimes incomprehensible, often mispronounced, sometimes made-up] nouns and adjectives strung together in no particular order in a meaningless body of text that is delivered at auctioneer speed.

EDIT: I forgot to add context: the KTs loved him because he spoke so fast (like auctioneer-fast) it meant his pronunciation was the best in the group and that meant his English was the best and he should win.

This is the first time since the contest started I'd been asked for my opinion but the teachers had been making slight digs at me since I got there. Turns out they didn't want me there but the VP did and they were BITTER.
KT1: ... but you gave him the lowest score!
Gidget: But you just said it doesn't matter what I thought or scored because you are going to change my scores to match yours anyway. So it's all OK.
KT1: But you gave him the lowest score!
KT3: I think she wants to know why you scored him like that.
Gidget: Oh! Uh, he gave the worst speech I've ever heard an-
KT1: You are wrong. His title was amazing!
Gidget: The title was good but the rest was gibberish.
KT1: What?
Gidget: Gibberish. Um, nonsense. It was nonsense. It was a bad presentation and it didn't make any sense.
KT2: No. You didn't understand it because you are American.
Gidget: Uh-
KT1: Yes. You only understand American English. We are KTs. We have to understand many students with many different accents because our students are so good many of them go overseas to study.
KT3: He is a science student, too. So he has to be smart. And he is good-looking and kind in class. It makes it harder to understand him.
KT1: It is a failing with you American teachers. You only understand American and know American. Our students learn English as a second language. Their accents aren't the same as yours. You never understand other accents from other countries.
KT2: Yes, you shouldn't judge our students by your American standards.
Gidget: I'm South African.
Gidget: You introduced me to everyone as South African, too.
KT2: Then why are you judging by American standards? You should learn a second language then you would know how difficult it is.
Gidget: No.
Gidget: South African. I'm from South Africa. It's a multicultural country. Everyone knows at least 2 languages. Most people know more. I know 3. We're used to people with accents, the important thing is communication.
KT1: You don-
Gidget: He has a low score because he spoke too fast. He made up words. He mispronounced most of the rest. He forgot his speech several times and when that happened he turned and rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers at us. No one else did that. But more than anything else his speech isn't a speech because there aren't any articles, pronouns or verbs.
KT1: It's because he studied in Australia for 3 months. You just don't understand their accent or words.
Gidget: They'd fail him, too. They like verbs.
KT3: What do you know about Australia?! Australia is far away from South Africa and America. I went to Australia for 3 months to study! He is a science student. They would love him.
Gidget: My cousins were born in Australia. 2 of them are teachers there. I also have friends in Australia. I've visited there. I've lived there. No one speaks like that and if a student spoke like that in a speech contest they'd fail him and bring his family in for a conference. His 'sentences' have no verbs. In his entire speech, a double-leaded page in 14 point, there are 7 verbs. Even if he put verbs in, it still wouldn't make sense because the speech is made up of random words!
KT2: I know the problem! Gidget is marking the content.
Gidget: Wait, what?
KT1 & 3: Why? The content? Why the content? Are you reading the speeches?
Gidget: Uhm, just his. I wanted to know what he was saying and I couldn't understand his speech.
KT1: But why are you marking the content?!
Gidget: The rubric has content on it.
KT2: Oh, that doesn't count for anything. That's for the vice-principal.
KT1: In Korean: Really! I don't like NTs. They make everything so difficult and complicated. So is everyone OK? He wins.
KT2: In Korean: He's a good student. He is always quiet and he doesn't sleep in English class and he doesn't argue with me about English. He always says hello to me in my class.
KT3: In Korean: He always says hello to me in the hallyway, too.
KT1 & 3 agree and remark on his looks and and how KT 1 taught him last year. They also spend some time commenting on his title and how it was the best title out of all the other contestants.
KT3: Gidget, he wants to go to a famous high school and he needs the English prize to get in. Also, we like him. He is a good student.
KT2 asks KT1 and 3 in Korean what to do about my score sheets because my scores are in Korean.
Gidget: It's OK. KT1 told me to write it in pencil and not pen so she would be able to change my scores when I went home.
KT1: ...You understand Korean?
Gidget: I understand enough.

I admit I was a tad bolshy but I'm not going to take part in speech contests again. They suck the soul out of me.

i dont believe this happened
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5925 on: June 07, 2017, 10:37:07 AM »
close your mouth when you chew you gawdam savage.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5926 on: June 07, 2017, 11:30:40 AM »

Rain be damned.  Still biked it today.

My pet peeve is when I'm standing on the sidewalk and get splashed by cars speeding past.  >:(

I'd be more than peeved by that.

close your mouth when you chew you gawdam savage.

Now that's a peeve.

I was the token NES...
i dont believe this happened

It is improbably precise

Either I'm Jeff Goldblum, staring at a monumental pile of BS, or...

The most obscure reference I've ever seen. Oi vey.

When you feel a pebble in your shoe and you keep taking it off to find the bugger but never can and it turns out the damn thing was in your sock the whole time and how in the **** did it get in there?

The ones in your sock are not nearly as bad as the ones that get in your eye imho
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:33:49 AM by donovan »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #5927 on: June 07, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »

This is a very timely reference. Hey hey.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5928 on: June 07, 2017, 12:05:37 PM »

Thank you, Based God~

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5929 on: June 07, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
I don't know why, but every time I'm supposed to have a meeting with the principal, I start to get so nervous I feel sick. Even though I KNOW it's nothing bad, it still happens. I guess it goes back to my teachers pet days and the principal meetings automatically meant something wrong was up.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5930 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
I don't know why, but every time I'm supposed to have a meeting with the principal, I start to get so nervous I feel sick. Even though I KNOW it's nothing bad, it still happens. I guess it goes back to my teachers pet days and the principal meetings automatically meant something wrong was up.
I practically lived in my principal's office. Mostly for talking in class too much. Was constantly told how it would mess up my life.
Joke's on him though! Guess what I'm getting paid buckets full of money for, Mr. Strukoff!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:43:11 PM by kyndo »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5931 on: June 07, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
Waygook.org user Gidget clearly exaggerated a little bit, but - it's mostly believable.

Every time I've scored an English quiz, I always gave the highest score to someone who spoke clearly, had an original, not-plagiarized speech, and spoke loudly and confidently, with minimal reading from his or her paper.

Also, whoever had a speech that was either relevant or interesting, or entertaining.

I always kept things like the student's personality in class, English grades, etc separate from my speech scoring.

And Korean teachers always, always disagreed with me for reasons like: that student doesn't behave well in class, or his English scores aren't good, so he can't beat someone who does better on tests, or on one occasion they just said we should give a student first place because otherwise his mother will complain. Also, some teachers mistakenly said a student won in a previous year, and so secretly disqualified from placing.

Completely ridiculous and absolutely unfair.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5932 on: June 07, 2017, 12:51:42 PM »
Lol a former student of mine was definitely the best at English in his class but he was also the worst behaved.  Mostly I think he was bored/hormonal (same class as a student who couldn't read English at all... so... ) so I tried my best to balance things and keep him engaged but he was still kind of a butt. 

Is it just my classes, or do the boys always seem way moodier than the girls?  (mostly middle school but also some elementary as well)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5933 on: June 07, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
Lol a former student of mine was definitely the best at English in his class but he was also the worst behaved.  Mostly I think he was bored/hormonal (same class as a student who couldn't read English at all... so... ) so I tried my best to balance things and keep him engaged but he was still kind of a butt. 

Is it just my classes, or do the boys always seem way moodier than the girls?  (mostly middle school but also some elementary as well)

It's not just you, the boys are moodier in different ways tho. If they're bored or angry I find they just shut down completely. They just decide to give up immediately. It's either "i assume I know this, thus I don't need to pay attention" or "I'm too angry that Jinsu has a cooler spinner than me so I need to let everyone know I'm angry by giving everyone the silent treatment.
The girls on the other hand shut down by weeping until they get attention from their friends. But I haven't had nearly as many girls do that.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5934 on: June 07, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5935 on: June 07, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »

Well, there it is.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5936 on: June 07, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

It's not just you, the boys are moodier in different ways tho. If they're bored or angry I find they just shut down completely. They just decide to give up immediately. It's either "i assume I know this, thus I don't need to pay attention" or "I'm too angry that Jinsu has a cooler spinner than me so I need to let everyone know I'm angry by giving everyone the silent treatment.
The girls on the other hand shut down by weeping until they get attention from their friends. But I haven't had nearly as many girls do that.

I find it interesting how some of the biggest bullies in my classes are also the biggest try-hard nerds. It's rarely the athletic kids who pick on others at my schools. It's the kids who are middle-class and above average academically who who constantly make fun of the kids who are less academically inclined.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5937 on: June 07, 2017, 01:35:12 PM »
Some people have earned being, "Hero of Waygookistan" but I do feel there are those that carry this title when they are more "Gobshite of Waygookistan".

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5938 on: June 07, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
(Based God, please tell me he's not talking about me. :cry: :cry:)

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5939 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »

I find it interesting how some of the biggest bullies in my classes are also the biggest try-hard nerds. It's rarely the athletic kids who pick on others at my schools. It's the kids who are middle-class and above average academically who who constantly make fun of the kids who are less academically inclined.

The nerds are the rockstars in this culture.

"Getting a job at Samsung Electronics" is the life they all dream of.