September 21, 2017, 09:29:40 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485067 times)

YoungMin

Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5800 on: May 15, 2017, 01:27:35 PM »
http://english.hankyung.com/business/2017/03/23/0823141/brazilian-rotten-chicken-scandal-spreads-to-koreas-fast-food-franchisers

I sure hope you two are kidding about eating at Mom's Touch...

They use BRF from Brazil.

If you read the news, (I'll stop there, as it doesn't sound as if you know and I don't wish to "spoil" it for you)

Didn't read your article but my jalapeno chicken fillet burger is 국내산 so fall back bro.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5801 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:25 PM »
i don't understand the logic behind most people here putting their chopsticks/spoons directly onto the table before/while using them yet throwing out a piece of food that falls off a dish onto the table. i mean, just decide if the table is dirty or if it isn't! if it's dirty... put a goddamn napkin under your eating utensils.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 02:59:24 PM by sevenpm »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5802 on: May 15, 2017, 02:55:06 PM »
I hate that they insist on starting sentences with "Because" here. Every goddamned book that has a lesson about "Why ... ?" will have everyone starting their answers with "Because". Drives me nuts!! I mean, I get it: "Why? Because." it's a nice little lesson plan, but it's completely redundant putting "Because" at the beginning of a sentence that's a response to "Why?". Some might argue it's completely incorrect because "because" is a conjunction that's to be used mid-sentence to separate clauses.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5803 on: May 15, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
I hate that they insist on starting sentences with "Because" here. Every goddamned book that has a lesson about "Why ... ?" will have everyone starting their answers with "Because". Drives me nuts!! I mean, I get it: "Why? Because." it's a nice little lesson plan, but it's completely redundant putting "Because" at the beginning of a sentence that's a response to "Why?". Some might argue it's completely incorrect because "because" is a conjunction that's to be used mid-sentence to separate clauses.

It's especially annoying because most kids then think that in order to use because, it MUST be at the start of the sentence. I'm sure the logic is something like: because = 왜나하면. 왜나하면 always occurs at the beginning of a sentence, therefore because should likewise always be at the beginning of a sentence.

Then again, ALL conjunctions cause a lot of trouble for students here, in their writing at least. So, and, but; I almost always find these used to begin a sentence, and even when they're used between two clauses, the comma is hardly ever properly placed, if it's there at all. I understand that it's hard to know when to use a comma, but using conjunctions as a connector of two clauses seems pretty straight forward. Perhaps it's out of some insecurity of doing it incorrectly, so they opt for the 'safe' route of dividing the thought into two sentences separated by a period, but actually making it ungrammatical in the process. Or maybe they're being ungrammatical stylistically as a way to casualize their relationship with you. Do they call you Lurch or Mr. Lurch?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:48:17 PM by donovan »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5804 on: May 15, 2017, 03:52:51 PM »
Had Mom's Touch once. The chicken was pink and covered in enough batter to choke a horse. Word is they're all like that. There are a billion decent chicken places in Korea, I have no idea how this franchise survives.

My guess is they survive because it's delicious fast food junk. 

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5805 on: May 15, 2017, 03:54:48 PM »
I'm at an in-between place right now where I feel like I've been put under with an anesthetic but not given enough of it to completely knock me out, so it's like I'm aware of everything going on but I'm unable to react to any of it.

I stared at this white space for a solid 5 minutes thinking of who the **** knows what because I don't.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5806 on: May 15, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I'm at an in-between place right now where I feel like I've been put under with an anesthetic but not given enough of it to completely knock me out, so it's like I'm aware of everything going on but I'm unable to react to any of it.

I stared at this white space for a solid 5 minutes thinking of who the **** knows what because I don't.

Oh I relate so much.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5807 on: May 15, 2017, 05:57:13 PM »

The Upside-Down
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5808 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »
I think today I realized I'm not actually handling the culture shock well. I'm just very very good at blocking it out usually, but it creeps back when one thing after another hits me with stress. Sighhh.

Offline karminiteacher

• Explorer
criminal charges
« Reply #5809 on: May 15, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »
Hi. I'm pressing chargers against a foreigner who attacked me. I wanted to know what the repurcussions would be for him in terms of staying in Korea or his visa??

Offline cracker

• Veteran
« Reply #5810 on: May 15, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
Posted by: karminiteacher
« on: Today at 06:47:36 PM » Insert Quote
Hi. I'm pressing chargers against a foreigner who attacked me. I wanted to know what the repurcussions would be for him in terms of staying in Korea or his visa??

Loss of job and deportation. 

http://www.korea4expats.com/article-legal-help-korea.html

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5811 on: May 16, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
i don't understand the logic behind most people here putting their chopsticks/spoons directly onto the table before/while using them yet throwing out a piece of food that falls off a dish onto the table. i mean, just decide if the table is dirty or if it isn't! if it's dirty... put a goddamn napkin under your eating utensils.

This is funny. I usually use a napkin under mine, but I think I may have to point it out the next time I see it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5812 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10:09 AM »

This is funny. I usually use a napkin under mine, but I think I may have to point it out the next time I see it.
I always put a napkin under my utensils and those eating with me, but I agree with you. I have noticed a lot who do not.

I was out eating dinner with my bf and I dropped my fork and quickly picked it up and kept using it. My bf snickered and mentioned something about Americans and the 5 second rule.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5813 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:05 AM »
I was out eating dinner with my bf and I dropped my fork and quickly picked it up and kept using it. My bf snickered and mentioned something about Americans and the 5 second rule.
    I used to get comments like this all the time (I'm clumsy). Now, I just immediately go on and on and on about the 'hygiene hypothesis' and how overly sterile environments can lead to all sorts of auto-immune disorders such as allergies and asthma and blablabla. I'm not entirely convinced all of it is true but it does tend to prevent people from commenting the next time I inevitably drop something.  :smiley:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5814 on: May 16, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
Something that kind of annoys me is when students say how interested they are in English, and that they like it and that they want to be English teachers, but then do diddlysquat in class and just sit there, or sleep, or chatter away the whole time.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5815 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:29 PM »
Yesterday's lunch was great. Gamja tang, Vienna sausages, mushroom/beef/veggie stir fry. Today's lunch was noodles, rice and doughy soup. I guess they used up all the protein on Monday. It's carbs for the rest of the week.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5816 on: May 16, 2017, 02:11:14 PM »
Something that kind of annoys me is when students say how interested they are in English, and that they like it and that they want to be English teachers, but then do diddlysquat in class and just sit there, or sleep, or chatter away the whole time.
I know. I think what they really mean is they like classes without homework and where they can get away with not studying.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5817 on: May 16, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
Literally i have blocked all his numbers and texting, how did the 변태 get a call through??!!  >:( >:( >:( Why is he trying to bother me again!!? 

Offline Athena

• Explorer
« Reply #5818 on: May 16, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »
Has anyone ever taught camp at an unknown school before??

My school is having construction so all summer vacation activities have been cancelled. My coteacher called the office of education and was told that we can't just do a 4 week camp in winter vacation, I have to go to another school. On top of that, not sure about the budget and she said there's a chance I might not have a coteacher either...

Now I'm super nervous because I'm being thrown into a completely unknown situation and have to go to some school I never been to..

I wish they'd just canceled the camp and call quits due to my school's problem

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5819 on: May 16, 2017, 03:38:22 PM »

I always put napkins under my utensils because I try to at least be a little bit consistent with what I find dirty, but I've met maybe 1 or 2 people who do the same but dropped food on the table is almost always a no-go. I guess I shouldn't be surprised when it's the same people don't bother using soap or disinfectant when eating their ssam and think just a splash of water will do.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment