November 19, 2017, 11:45:37 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564861 times)

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5780 on: May 25, 2017, 08:28:45 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5781 on: May 25, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
One of my favorite classes with some of my best (if not brightest) students are turning into zombies. They used to be so enthusiastic: speaking English, smiling, laughing, having fun, learning. Now, they come to class every Thursday morning looking like their favorite puppy has died and I'm lucky to be able to get more than mumbles out of them. Even their homeroom teacher has been all scowly and menacing the past month. What is going on?

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5782 on: May 25, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »
One of my favorite classes with some of my best (if not brightest) students are turning into zombies. They used to be so enthusiastic: speaking English, smiling, laughing, having fun, learning. Now, they come to class every Thursday morning looking like their favorite puppy has died and I'm lucky to be able to get more than mumbles out of them. Even their homeroom teacher has been all scowly and menacing the past month. What is going on?

This is normal for the last month or so before the vacation. The kids need a break, and the teachers do too. After summer vacation, the homeroom teacher will probably be back to normal. The kids... it depends. Puberty will decide whether the break was enough or not.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5783 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.
have you tried uninstalling ahnlab and the other bloatware? i did with my school computer, and now it runs at normal speed, rather than like a potato

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5784 on: May 25, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.
have you tried uninstalling ahnlab and the other bloatware? i did with my school computer, and now it runs at normal speed, rather than like a potato

They let you do that? I get handed a checklist periodically that ensures my computer is loading with all that crap. If something isn't there, some 'tech' (and I use the term loosely) will come around and make sure my computer is running like a potato.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #5785 on: May 25, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

They let you do that? I get handed a checklist periodically that ensures my computer is loading with all that crap. If something isn't there, some 'tech' (and I use the term loosely) will come around and make sure my computer is running like a potato.

Mine is also mandatory.

I should have invested in a second computer.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline maximmm

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5786 on: May 25, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

I have to wonder - have none of the PS computers been upgraded in the past 5 years, or is it just my province?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5787 on: May 25, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
AhnCrap is basically impossible to uninstall. it just re-installs itself when you reboot the computer.

and every month i have to do some check using a program called 내PC - which is actually a piece of crap itself - and if i don't have all the mandatory 'security' garbage on my computer then it gets flagged.

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5788 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:09 AM »
AhnCrap is basically impossible to uninstall. it just re-installs itself when you reboot the computer.

and every month i have to do some check using a program called 내PC - which is actually a piece of crap itself - and if i don't have all the mandatory 'security' garbage on my computer then it gets flagged.

I installed AVG on one of the classroom PCs and not only did it find 42 threats that the Korean software couldn't, it flagged the Korean software itself as a threat!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5789 on: May 25, 2017, 09:50:57 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

Mine is also mandatory.

I should have invested in a second computer.
Do what I did: partition the hard drive. Stuff one partition with all the crap, then do a clean English language windows installation on the other.
Just write down all the IPs and gateways etc you need in order to hook up to the school's network and set it up in your new partition.

Log into the other partition once or twice a month to keep all the spyware/malware/bloatware up to date, and everything should go just fine.

It's basically having two computers in one.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:52:46 AM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #5790 on: May 25, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
Do what I did: partition the hard drive. Stuff one partition with all the crap, then do a clean English language windows installation on the other.
Just write down all the IPs and gateways etc you need in order to hook up to the school's network and set it up in your new partition.

Log into the other partition once or twice a month to keep all the spyware/malware/bloatware up to date, and everything should go just fine.

Online oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5791 on: May 25, 2017, 09:59:25 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

i work in an after school program, so maybe the tech guy doesn't give af about my computer. 

kobayashi: yes, i had to force uninstall it. it's mostly gone, but some of it still lingers for some reason. a program that you CAN'T uninstall? in 2017? absolutely unbelievable.

i like kyndo's idea

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5792 on: May 25, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This is literally me!
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #5793 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »

It doesn't help that the computer is in Korean. I'd have a hard enough time in English let alone Korean.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5794 on: May 25, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »

Come on, he did the Half-Windsor knot when he dressed himself this morning!!  Have you tried doing that with paws?  I know I have.

gidget

« Reply #5795 on: May 25, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
From a functional standpoint, Impact does everything comic sans does, only better. Shame it's overused. Really, the best font to use for body text is something with high readability and little flourish, because you want to reserve that for headlines and other dividing marks.

Down with Impact!!

There's a difference between designing for the man on the street and designing for the classroom. Impact is a bad font to use for kids who are learning to read or who have any kind of reading/visual problem/difficulty because anything in Impact comes across as a sea of black. It's not just the weight, Impact's ascenders and descenders are not long and tall enough, kerning and leading are also problematic.

Comic Sans is an alternative that's available to everyone that's never thought they could, or thought to, get other free fonts themselves. It's so much better than Impact in so, so many ways.

It's the same reason you never use deep blacks on whites or vice versa, and you're extremely careful how you use reds, oranges and greens, and you only use fonts with the round 'a'.

If anyone is interested, a better alternative to impact - although the ascenders and descenders and letter differentiation is still not quite good enough is: http://www.dafont.com/kg-blank-space.font and http://www.dafont.com/kg-what-the-teacher-wants.font

An alternative to Comic Sans: http://www.dafont.com/kg-miss-kindergarten.font. http://www.kimberlygeswein.com/?s=penmanship&submit.x=0&submit.y=0 and you can also look for the fonts Kingthings Clarity and Chinacat.

..Unless you're designing for middle school and high school where the kids who can't/don't know how to read, or just don't care, sleep. Then you can design what and however you like because your audience has changed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:25:09 PM by gidget »

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5796 on: May 25, 2017, 10:42:31 AM »
Uuuuuuuuuugh.

This computer sucks.

I have to wonder - have none of the PS computers been upgraded in the past 5 years, or is it just my province?

They upgraded ours this year. Hilariously, they run like garbage anyway because they skimped on RAM (who puts 2gb in a new machine?!?) and overloaded them with crap running in the background. The CPU is decent at least.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5797 on: May 25, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
From a functional standpoint, Impact does everything comic sans does, only better. Shame it's overused. Really, the best font to use for body text is something with high readability and little flourish, because you want to reserve that for headlines and other dividing marks.

Comic Sans is an alternative that's available to everyone that's never thought they could, or thought to, get other free fonts themselves. It's so much better than Impact in so, so many ways.

I've become a fan of Taffy. 

I also don't quite understand all the hate on Comic Sans.  Sure it's not the best, but it's certainly far from the worst.  To each his/her own, though. 

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5798 on: May 25, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Down with Impact!!
... Impact comes across as a sea of black. It's not just the weight, Impact's ascenders and descenders are not long and tall enough, kerning and leading are also problematic.

You've convinced me.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5799 on: May 25, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
Undertale ruined Comic Sans for me with their terrible pun.