September 22, 2017, 01:47:16 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486209 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5720 on: May 10, 2017, 01:30:28 PM »
i have no classes today because it's sports day. my office is right near the gym, and because of the rain they've moved sports day from outside to inside the gym.

i'm trying to study for a korean-language test i have in 2 weeks and it is SO. DAMN. LOUD.

and i think i've heard every song by TWICE at least 394 times in the last 90 minutes since school started.

why does everything in this country have to be done at 537 decibels? even in class when we play songs or stuff off the textbook CD my co-teachers will blast the volume so loudly that it literally hurts my ears.

koreans genetically have a higher rate of myopia, do they have a higher rate of hearing problems too? or maybe they just get permanent hearing damage when they're younger from the sheer loudness of everything around them that they can't hear properly for the rest of their lives and thus it's a viscous circle of having to have everything at maximum volume all the time.

It is the same with the volume on the ringtones and message alerts.  On full power.  If it isn't full power on everything, you're not going to hear it or notice it.  Like the supermarkets that have the guy shouting into his microphone about the things on sale, on absolute full whack so much so the feedback makes it almost unintelligible.  I have sensitive hearing and there is nothing more likely to turn me off something than loud noise.  Korea is an unbelievably noisy country.

YoungMin

« Reply #5721 on: May 10, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
I feel so emotional right now that i'm not the only one who notices/complains about the noise here. I thought it was just me being me.

When the wife watches anything Korean on her phone it is deafening.

Phones in the office/bus/train full blast KA TALK KA TALK KA TALK.

2 people having a conversation. Sounds like world war 3 is going to erupt but they're actually talking about something pleasant.

Does my head and my ears in.

Try and do a running dictation with your students. They don't understand the concept of whispering.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5722 on: May 10, 2017, 02:22:04 PM »
so i'm bored and actually did some research on this.

this study found that 37.4% of koreans 12 years or older have hearing loss
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28196098

this one found that the hearing loss rate was 22.73%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25216153

so around one-quarter to one-third of Koreans have hearing loss.

compare that to around 15% for Americans, and koreans definitely do in fact have impaired hearing compared to the US, at least
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick-statistics-hearing

Offline wanderingskald

• Adventurer
« Reply #5723 on: May 10, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »
I mentioned this earlier in thread, but I'll just post another endorsement:

Audio Technica m50x.  Buy them.  Wear them at school, on the bus, at home.  Insulate yourself from the chaotic cacophony that is Korea. 

I also recommend getting earplugs for bed time, I personally need them as I have a lovely ajesshi neighbor who likes to let everyone on my floor know who likes to expel phlegm throughout the night in his bathroom (The echo makes it only worse).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:31:13 PM by wanderingskald »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5724 on: May 10, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »
I'm thinking I may want to pack it in half way through my contract.

I can't even anymore.

Also listening to my CT teach the kids, "May I shit here?" is driving me nuts.

"Pleaj, shit down!"

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5725 on: May 10, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »

compare that to around 15% for Americans, and koreans definitely do in fact have impaired hearing compared to the US, at least

loud noise begets hearing loss begets louder noise begets more hearing loss :huh:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5726 on: May 10, 2017, 02:56:42 PM »

loud noise begets hearing loss begets louder noise begets more hearing loss :huh:

and more hearing loss begat aids, hearing aids. and this aid begat battery sales.

Ezekiel 12:51
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline sbk

• Explorer
« Reply #5727 on: May 10, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »
It is the same with the volume on the ringtones and message alerts.  On full power.  If it isn't full power on everything, you're not going to hear it or notice it.  Like the supermarkets that have the guy shouting into his microphone about the things on sale, on absolute full whack so much so the feedback makes it almost unintelligible.  I have sensitive hearing and there is nothing more likely to turn me off something than loud noise.  Korea is an unbelievably noisy country.

Yes i have sensitive hearing too and i hate all the loudness i hear here. So many PA systems at street festivals are ear blistering loud or the election trucks and sprukers in supermarkets selling things. I remember when we used to have Kims Club in my town and they always played the worst unrecognizable western pop music that i had never heard before and had the loudest announcements i have ever heard. People just seemed to be cool with it all.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5728 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »

Yes i have sensitive hearing too and i hate all the loudness i hear here. So many PA systems at street festivals are ear blistering loud or the election trucks and sprukers in supermarkets selling things. I remember when we used to have Kims Club in my town and they always played the worst unrecognizable western pop music that i had never heard before and had the loudest announcements i have ever heard. People just seemed to be cool with it all.

Spruiker

From our crowdsourced Open Dictionary. (Australian English) someone who tries to persuade people to buy something, use a service, etc often in a dishonest or exaggerated way.

Did you mean this? Or did you misspell speaker? hahahahaha

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5729 on: May 10, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »

Not sure I get this one. A joke? Ezekiel chapter 12 only goes up to verse 28.

Offline sbk

• Explorer
« Reply #5730 on: May 10, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »

Spruiker

From our crowdsourced Open Dictionary. (Australian English) someone who tries to persuade people to buy something, use a service, etc often in a dishonest or exaggerated way.

Yes i am an Aussie

I meant Spruker not speaker.

haha. I was going to say before that if people did loud announcements and bad music in supermarkets back in Sydney there would be instant complaints.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5731 on: May 10, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »

Not sure I get this one. A joke? Ezekiel chapter 12 only goes up to verse 28.

12:51 is the time my voice
Found the words i sought...
Is it this stage I want?

J. Casablancas 2:4

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5732 on: May 10, 2017, 03:16:10 PM »

and more hearing loss begat aids, hearing aids. and this aid begat battery sales.

himself begotten by Buzzi, but as a priestly (Son of) man did no begetting of his own.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:37:32 PM by donovan »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5733 on: May 10, 2017, 03:18:33 PM »
Spruiker
     Funnily enough, both "spruiker" and "speaker" have Germanic roots. Probably from the Dutch "Spraak, spreek, and spreuk" which are variation of "speech" or "to speak".

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5734 on: May 10, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »
Spruiker
     Funnily enough, both "spruiker" and "speaker" have Germanic roots. Probably from the Dutch "Spraak, spreek, and spreuk" which are variation of "speech" or "to speak".

Like in South African; scryf

A South African was giving an Afrikaans test to show us (teacher training) what it's like learning another language. I was the only one to get them all right. Skryf................ like a scribe? So, writing. It's amazing how close Dutch, Afrikaans and German can be to our language. 

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5735 on: May 10, 2017, 03:35:39 PM »
Is it this stage I want?

A Lil' B song?

You should become a rapper- Lil' C.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5736 on: May 10, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »
Is it this stage I want?

A Lil' B song?

You should become a rapper- Lil' C.

I had a stroke.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5737 on: May 10, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5738 on: May 10, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
OK, found it... Still, become a rapper. Based waygookin! Lil' C! 

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5739 on: May 10, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
OK, found it... Still, become a rapper. Based waygookin! Lil' C!

I used to dabble in hiphop with my buddy in high school. He still raps. Really well.

http://www.youtube.com/3NToxs4PGj0?t=3m51s

My homie is the one in red, Revelation (sticking with the biblical theme! hahahaa)

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment