December 11, 2017, 01:27:21 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594466 times)

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5680 on: June 01, 2017, 10:08:40 AM »
Get to school today. None of my textbook CDs or DVDs will work. None of my downloaded textbook resources will work. Check programs. All adobe and Shockwave players, Flash players, GOM and all that shit has been uninstalled. I try and prep my song for grade 3. MS media player is also gone.  I tell my CT that I am not sure why all those programs were removed, but I need them to lesson plan and to actually do my lessons. He walks away shrugging. I ask if I can download Adobe and any of the others that I will need and he says he will need to ask the Principal. What am I missing here? I am clearly missing something. I admit I do not understand technology in Korea. I just don't, from IE to Ahnlab and now this.

I was about to complain about my sulking CT again and how she's being passive aggressive but I read your post and cringed.

LOL, although I do feel your pain too. I am particularly irritated by adults that sulk. It is one of the few times that I will say "oh, just f*%king grow the f*%k up."

To add to my woes of trying to discuss the flash/shock wave issue - I get told that I can't have adobe because we need a licence for it because the computers are networked, if this is true ok, but I am only using it as a end user with it on my C drive not on the network drive??? Please can someone with some kind of technological know-how help me out here.... (oh yeah, but it is on his computer, and the other classroom computer), I checked, so I just really don't understand. I will just work on the other computer for now, even though it means standing.. I guess that is good for my back.

* EDIT No, I am not an idiot. Shockwave player is free. Nothing has changed we don't need a fekking licence. Gaaawwwwwwwwd strooth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:13:44 AM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5681 on: June 01, 2017, 10:13:09 AM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was a total failure in class.

lol that always stings when you try to introduce something you think is cool and the students are like "what is wrong with you"
It really does. Share a little bit of your soul and they throw it back at you. Haha.

There was one kid that thought it was funny though and laughed throughout, so I guess there's that.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5682 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »
I'm a bit sick, throat's been killin me since the dustball concert that was PSY at JeonbukDae, and to top it off i blew out my neck while sleeping... Living in the middle of nowhere means no chiropractor nearby to sort out my neck so one of the teachers offered to take me to one of those oriental medicine places. I told her no acupuncture and she just said okay and giggled... I don't trust her and with this slight cold I don't trust myself to not sneeze with a neck full of needles......

Oh and to top it off another teacher said that because I can't move my head side to side, I look like Mr Bean when I turn  :cry:

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5683 on: June 01, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
The teacher next to me is snoring.. loudly.

Online Elegy

• Adventurer
« Reply #5684 on: June 01, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
Apparently one of my travel schools is getting rid of their NET (me) next semester and will be using the NET from the middle school right next to elementary. Okay, fine, I get that they might want to save money or whatever, but no one informed me about it until a random 3rd grade teacher mentioned it in passing to me in the hallway. Come on, Korea, it's not that hard to freaking tell your employee of the past 4 months something like that so I don't find out off-hand in the middle of the day.

And it was my favorite school.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5685 on: June 01, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »
... Living in the middle of nowhere means no chiropractor nearby to sort out my neck so
If it's any consolation there are barely any chiropractors anywhere in Korea. Big city or small. It's oriental medicine or nothing.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5686 on: June 01, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
... Living in the middle of nowhere means no chiropractor nearby to sort out my neck so
If it's any consolation there are barely any chiropractors anywhere in Korea. Big city or small. It's oriental medicine or nothing.

Fair enough, I know my friend goes to one in Seoul. I know a lot of people think its BS but I always went to one back home. I'd go like once a month, went since I was a kid so the dude cut me a deal so I could afford it through university. I miss being able to get a monthly visit in :C my current state makes me miss it more :C

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5687 on: June 01, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »
Got invited to go to a beer festival. I thought "cool! I can try a variety of beer and maybe stumble upon something I've never had before!"

Check out the link and it's a beer festival put on by Hite and that's ALL they will be serving. Wtf? That is not a beer festival, that's a Hite festival.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #5688 on: June 01, 2017, 03:05:09 PM »
Got invited to go to a beer festival. I thought "cool! I can try a variety of beer and maybe stumble upon something I've never had before!"

Check out the link and it's a beer festival put on by Hite and that's ALL they will be serving. Wtf? That is not a beer festival, that's a Hite festival.

My buddy and I were biking from the airport to Muuido and we saw signs for "WORLD BEER FESTIVAL/THIS WEEKEND/MUUIDO"

Holy shit! What luck! We didn't even know about it, what fortune!

We get to the beach and there's 3 fridges that you'd find in a self bar. Selection wasn't terrible, but the hype for a World Beer Festival was quickly doused.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5689 on: June 01, 2017, 03:13:16 PM »
You just missed a craft beer festival in Gapyeong. There's a pool party/craft beer event going on sometime in june... i think the 24th? It's by the same people but it doesn't have as many beer vendors. look up Good Times ROK. They do the craft beer festival every year and it's like 10,000won for 3 beer tickets if you get the early-bird. Free to just go to.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5690 on: June 02, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
My Friday school is literally the worst. The kids don't want to do anything, and my co-teacher does nothing to make sure they do their work. He literally lets them sit around or sleep the whole period if they want. Or if they pay enough attention to play a game, he gives them all the answers. How am I suppose to have any authority if he has no authority? This is the school that makes me count down the days I have left.

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5691 on: June 02, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »
Also, the high schoolers are having some kind of fun event going on right outside the English room window complete with yelling, loud music, and a PA system. How the hell am I supposed to keep anyone's attention?  :cry:

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5692 on: June 02, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
Back to the gym... on the treadmill and the woman on the treadmill near me was listening to some insanely annoying Korean comedy podcast or something. It was a man pretending to be a woman or something else. Most obnoxious thing I've ever heard. She had it on full volume and no headphones.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5693 on: June 02, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
Back to the gym... on the treadmill and the woman on the treadmill near me was listening to some insanely annoying Korean comedy podcast or something. It was a man pretending to be a woman or something else. Most obnoxious thing I've ever heard. She had it on full volume and no headphones.

Take out your phone, load up some Cannibal Corpse, Racer X or Slayer and return the favour.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5694 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Had to 'edit' a few student's speeches as their speech contest is coming up. A few paraphrased extracts from one of my favourites:

Hangul
- Hangul is the best writing system in the world
- It's better than other foreign languages
- Other foreign languages have changed over time, Hangul is the only language which has remained
  the same.
- You can sound out any word.
- Unlike other languages, Hangul is Scientific.
- Korea has the highest literacy rate in the world.

Last year, this boy, a really bright and likeable kid, did another speech about kimchi. Pretty much the same tune on how it's God's gift to the world. Most of the essays were the same, glorifying different aspects of Korea and claiming how much better it was than anywhere else. The only different essays were a few speeches on their asspirations... Kind of incredible that 5/6 girls all have the same dream of becoming pastry chefs.

It never fails to amaze me; Korean kids giving a speech on how superior Korea is, to other Koreans... in English.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5695 on: June 02, 2017, 10:50:09 AM »

Sound out 광안리 or 설날 the way they're written, and Koreans will laugh at you.  :cry:

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5696 on: June 02, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
The sucky muscle massage-ish machine thing they used on my neck yesterday left a giant hickey on my neck :'( The meds make it easier to actually turn my head right now, but I look like I got throat punched :'( Surprised the students haven't pointed and gawked at it yet... My makeup skills aren't quite good enough to mask it :'(

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5697 on: June 02, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
The sucky muscle massage-ish machine thing they used on my neck yesterday left a giant hickey on my neck :'( The meds make it easier to actually turn my head right now, but I look like I got throat punched :'( Surprised the students haven't pointed and gawked at it yet... My makeup skills aren't quite good enough to mask it :'(

No need. They wear those suction cup marks with pride around here.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5698 on: June 02, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »

Sound out 광안리 or 설날 the way they're written, and Koreans will laugh at you.  :cry:

try 정로 or 박물관 too. the other day we were talking about 'lost and found' in english class with my 4th graders and one student wrote the translation as 분신물 instead of 분실물.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5699 on: June 02, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Had to 'edit' a few student's speeches as their speech contest is coming up. A few paraphrased extracts from one of my favourites:

Hangul
- Hangul is the best writing system in the world
- It's better than other foreign languages
- Other foreign languages have changed over time, Hangul is the only language which has remained
  the same.
- Unlike other languages, Hangul is Scientific.
- Korea has the highest literacy rate in the world.

Last year, this boy, a really bright and likeable kid, did another speech about kimchi. Pretty much the same tune on how it's God's gift to the world. Most of the essays were the same, glorifying different aspects of Korea and claiming how much better it was than anywhere else. The only different essays were a few speeches on their asspirations... Kind of incredible that 5/6 girls all have the same dream of becoming pastry chefs.

It never fails to amaze me; Korean kids giving a speech on how superior Korea is, to other Koreans... in English.

And then I wonder why I meet adults who tell me I don't have to worry about being hit by a car in Korea because Koreans have 정.

The brainwashing that goes on here is so embarrassing.