October 19, 2017, 03:26:41 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521398 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5640 on: April 28, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
Apparently, my wife and I were invisible for a while yesterday.

We went to the Samsung store in Seorae Maul (usually a very foreigner-friendly area) to pick up a vacuum cleaner.  All the staff (3 people) were busy waiting for other customers.  We waited ~20 minutes, but didn't mind that part... they were busy serving people who were there before us.  Another customer comes in at about 20 minutes, and waits.  When one salesman sees his customer to the door, he looks our way makes eye contact with my wife, and proceeds to the person who just came in.

We left.  I waved dismissively on the way out.

Next we went to Paris Croissant for supper, as we do about once a month.

About 10 minutes in, the lady who entered ahead of us (we followed her up the stairs) was served, and we had not even been given menus. We waited about 5 more minutes before leaving.

On the way out, I asked the lady at the cash (downstairs) if I could talk to the manager.  She said "Can I help you?"  I told her my story, and then walked out.  She chased me saying "so sorry", sticking her head out the door behind us.

"The time for sorry was about 15 minutes ago!"

Epilogue:

We had a great supper at Brioch Doree, and went to Homeplus to get a (non-Samsung) vacuum.

Might just be their best haughty French impression. Working in the French village has gone to their head.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:57:26 AM by donovan »

YoungMin

« Reply #5641 on: April 28, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
I laminated for the first time yesterday and was feeling all  8) for figuring out another machine in Korean but somehow I fed something through and it spiraled into the machine and now someone has to come fix it because I am a dumb foreigner.  :-[

Year 10 England work experience...College Library.

Laminating game is pretty lit.  8)

Laminating for school work experience?

I only progressed as far as the automatic stapler on the printer/copy machine at my local council offices.

I've always been ahead of time.

9-5 at the college library working for free was very enjoyable  :lipsrsealed: especially when there was always that bellend who got paid for doing his work experience. My dewey decimal game is pretty strong too.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5642 on: April 28, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
I laminated for the first time yesterday and was feeling all  8) for figuring out another machine in Korean but somehow I fed something through and it spiraled into the machine and now someone has to come fix it because I am a dumb foreigner.  :-[

Year 10 England work experience...College Library.

Laminating game is pretty lit.  8)

Laminating for school work experience?

I only progressed as far as the automatic stapler on the printer/copy machine at my local council offices.

I've always been ahead of time.

9-5 at the college library working for free was very enjoyable  :lipsrsealed: especially when there was always that bellend who got paid for doing his work experience. My dewey decimal game is pretty strong too.

College library?  Pfft, ya battyboy!

Ah, secondary school work experience, what a wonderous thing.  I did mine in a local Hilton hotel for two weeks.  It was the hotel I went back to work for five years during my sixth form and university holidays.  Good days!!  Thing was, I remember asking one of the porters I was working with how much he got paid.  I think he said 3.25 an hour or something like that.  I told him my dad paid me more for cutting the grass.  When I went back there again during sixth form to work properly, he told me he wanted to knock me out for saying my dad paid me more than him.  Good mates!!!  Both driving Austin Montegos.  His was 2 litre turbo, mind, mine just 1.6hl.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5643 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »

I've literally done the exact same thing. Not #based.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5644 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
They won't let me use the laminator at my school unsupervised, even though I know how to use it better than they do.

But I guess it makes it harder for them to blame the foreigner if/when it finally craps out (the thing is like 100 years old). Could be they're also afraid of it blowing up and injuring me... not sure if the plan is shield me with their bodies, should that happen, but whatever.

Kind of thinking about getting my own laminator to keep in my office, they've got some decent personal use ones that are far more affordable than I'd originally believed a good laminator would be.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5645 on: April 28, 2017, 01:03:39 PM »

I've literally done the exact same thing. Not #based.

I'm sure if I had been wearing a tie, that would've been laminated too.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5646 on: April 28, 2017, 03:01:21 PM »
I came across this after reading the laminating posts.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5647 on: April 28, 2017, 03:07:39 PM »
So I finally got tired of not knowing my students names and faces after 8 months of trying. But I only see them once a week and they're always wearing masks so I get confused. Plus I'm horrible with that kind of things anyway. I decided to ask my CT for a student list so I can finally get a handle on this nonsense. The following is the conversation we had:

Me: Can I please have the student list for all the classes? I'd like to start paying attention to each student.
CT: I don't know... we've never done that.
Me: It would really help me keep track of the students. :undecided:
CT: That's private information.
Me: Oh, I just want the class roster that all the other teachers have, with the students names and pictures. :undecided:
CT: That's private information. Only teachers should have that.
Me: ...I am a teacher? :lipsrsealed: :rolleyes:
CT: That's private information. We've never done that.
Me: So is it not allowed?
CT: ...You don't need their names or to know what they look like to teach the lessons.
Me: I guess not, but I think it would help me teach better.
CT: That information is only for teachers.
Me: But I am a... oh never mind.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5648 on: April 28, 2017, 03:22:43 PM »
So I finally got tired of not knowing my students names and faces after 8 months of trying. But I only see them once a week and they're always wearing masks so I get confused. Plus I'm horrible with that kind of things anyway. I decided to ask my CT for a student list so I can finally get a handle on this nonsense. The following is the conversation we had:

Me: Can I please have the student list for all the classes? I'd like to start paying attention to each student.
Me: Oh, I just want the class roster that all the other teachers have, with the students names and pictures. :undecided:
CT: ...You don't need their names or to know what they look like to teach the lessons.

That's unpleasant. I always make sure that I have the class lists and seating charts for every class, and have never had a problem getting that. Your co-teacher seems difficult.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #5649 on: April 28, 2017, 03:24:35 PM »

I went through that too. The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem. The second year someone must have taken issue with it and I couldn't get a copy. The irony was that other teachers left their copy out on their desks. Several times I witnessed 2nd and 3rd year students flipping through the first grade pictures and making fun of them. The teachers didn't have a problem with that. :rolleyes:     

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5650 on: April 28, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »

Back during my hagwon daze, we didn't have an actual laminator -- we had packing tape and scissors. Basically, we would laminate cards, pictures and posters by very carefully layering packing tape over it. I became *really* good at that considering all the room decorating I did. Managed it so that each strip of tape only overlapped the previous by a few millimeters.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5651 on: April 28, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
LDEstrada,

Sorry, but you don't need the phone numbers of your students.  IMHO, that is  an odd request.

Suggestion:

Make a seating chart stencil and simply assign responsibility to each class captain for getting it filled out and updated when need be (this keeps your coteacher out of the loop).

Then you will be able to address them by their given names from then on.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5652 on: April 28, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
LDEstrada,

Sorry, but you don't need the phone numbers of your students.  IMHO, that is  an odd request.

Suggestion:

Make a seating chart stencil and simply assign responsibility to each class captain for getting it filled out and updated when need be (this keeps your coteacher out of the loop).

Then you will be able to address them by their given names from then on.

I didn't see anywhere in his post that he was requesting phone numbers....

But your idea of getting the class captain to do it is a good one.

Anyhoo, my handler at each school I teach at gave me the relevant files with photos and names for each grade so that I can call students by their names. It was not an issue at all. I also teach alone so it really helped in the beginning to identify trouble makers and problem students and discuss the issues directly with the home room teachers.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5653 on: April 28, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
Pecan, if you read my post you'll see that I requested the basic student list that all the teachers have that only has the students names and associated picture. No phone numbers were mentioned by me at all.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5654 on: April 28, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5655 on: April 28, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
Pecan, if you read my post you'll see that I requested the basic student list that all the teachers have that only has the students names and associated picture. No phone numbers were mentioned by me at all.

Also, my classes don't have assigned seating. They're well behaved and don't need it. It has been made clear to me that I am only to assign seats if my students misbehave. And in the case of my school I agree. I have no trouble controlling them so assigning a seating chart would be unnecessary rule making just for the sake of rule making.  Besides, that wouldn't help nearly as much as having their school pictures, (like all the other teachers do) when it comes to being able to associate faces with names. Although I appreciate the idea.

Offline LDEstrada

• Waygookin
« Reply #5656 on: April 28, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »

That was insulimted who wrote that.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5657 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Wow,  I have never been in a classroom with "free" seating.

That would be interesting.

Best of luck.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #5658 on: April 28, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »
The first year I asked I got the names and pictures and phone numbers with no problem.

That was me. I said that. I didn't ask for the phone numbers but that is part of the document that they produce and give to all the other teachers. I suspect that is why they consider it private information.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5659 on: April 28, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
Right.  Yes, I know that was you.

I don't see why any teacher in their right mind would be opposed to providing the names and pictures only.

As you stated, it is the phone numbers that are contained within that file that are the issue regarding privacy.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment