December 11, 2017, 08:24:35 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 593943 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5640 on: May 30, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »

High of 92 today

Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

It has it's uses:

When people ask my height, 6 foot 1 has a much better 'oomph' to it than 186cm, which sounds dorkish, in a weird way.

"Before talking about someone behind their back, you should walk a mile in their shoes... That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

With kilometers, the joke just doesn't ring as well.

There's no excuse for tiny measurements though. Measuring the action height on my guitar in
3/16ths, 1/8th, 4/5ths of an inch etc... Just use millimeters, for Pete's sake.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5641 on: May 30, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #5642 on: May 30, 2017, 01:50:25 PM »
In the UK we use a weird mix of both though which can get confusing, I wish we would fully switch.

Canada, too. I'm 5'7" and 180lbs. It's 100km from Barrie to Toronto. This steak is 16oz, as is my draft beer. But, my bottle is 330ml. 

My body temperature is 37 degrees but my favourite band is 98 Degrees.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5643 on: May 30, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
Is it simply being stubborn that America will not catch up with the rest of the world and use metric instead of imperial, and use celsius when measuring temperature?

It infuriates me that I have to constantly convert a measurements when reading american books or websites.  It's like they think no one else outside of America will read it or perhaps they simply don't give a crap if anyone does.

I'm sorry. I'm an American. I can't hear you. You'll have to speak up and lose the accent.

92^F is a little over 33^C, buy the way. And despite my stubborn and imperious (i.e. American) proclivities, I'd be in favor of switching to metric just for the sake of never having to spell Fairenhite ever again.

Is "buy the way" also an Americanism? 
Kapitalist pigs!  >:(
Not merely an Americanism.  It's The American Way.

Pear and Hite is okay.

Alcohol that tastes good? Sissy stuff!

I can't help but prefer fahrenheit when talking about hot temps. its' so satisfying to say 90-100 degrees when you're sweating your balls off.

What kind of balls we talkin here? You're awfully close to appropriating male culture here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:55:27 PM by donovan »

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5644 on: May 30, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »

Same with parts of Canada. Usually body measurements are taken using the imperial system. Maybe cuz having a 31 waist sounds smaller than 79cm...

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #5645 on: May 30, 2017, 02:08:41 PM »
If I click on a fitness article and read that someone reduced their weight by a stone I immediately stop reading. Not worth the effort.

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #5646 on: May 30, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
Korean Netflix.  Why does it say that it has LOTR:TTT Extended Edition when it is definitely not the extended edition?  :cry: >:(
I'm broken hearted.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5647 on: May 30, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

High of 92 today

It's habit for me unfortunately, didn't mean to swing my star-spangled wang in anyone's face. I am not proud.

lol yes it doesn't quite feel right to say 30C when your face is melting off but yes it's a silly system

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5648 on: May 30, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
If I click on a fitness article and read that someone reduced their weight by a stone I immediately stop reading. Not worth the effort.

shedding stones from your body does sound tough, though, much like 100 degrees sounds horrendously hot.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #5649 on: May 30, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »

shedding stones from your body does sound tough, though, much like 100 degrees sounds horrendously hot.
Second Seinfeld meme of the day, hot damn.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5650 on: May 30, 2017, 03:20:18 PM »
today is taking for-******-ever to end.

sometimes i feel like an inmate who has been in the prison system for so long, that even though it sucks and no one in their right mind would choose jail over freedom, they feel like they they can't make it on the outside and prefer to stay incarcerated because at least they don't have to start over and they already know where they stand among the other prisoners and they have adapted and they dont like the outlook of having to re-adapt to another type of life. / i watched the shawshank redemption last night and got all deep

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5651 on: May 30, 2017, 03:23:22 PM »

Second Seinfeld meme of the day, hot damn.

Oof. Imagine how tough it would be if one of those 'stones' were 14 pounds (~20231KRW). :shocked:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5652 on: May 30, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »
today is taking for-******-ever to end.

sometimes i feel like an inmate who has been in the prison system for so long, that even though it sucks and no one in their right mind would choose jail over freedom, they feel like they they can't make it on the outside and prefer to stay incarcerated because at least they don't have to start over and they already know where they stand among the other prisoners and they have adapted and they dont like the outlook of having to re-adapt to another type of life. / i watched the shawshank redemption last night and got all deep

Yikes.

I got hit with a bunch of laminating work this afternoon, so I at least had something to do for most of the day.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5653 on: May 30, 2017, 03:26:14 PM »
Why can't I find more about the 3 teens that were idiots in Hongdae last week? kljsdfhlksdjf

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5654 on: May 30, 2017, 03:52:01 PM »

Pear and Hite is okay.

Alcohol that tastes good? Sissy stuff!

Ooo, pear?? I am all about them girly dranks that are pleasant to the taste.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend

Offline jddavis7

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5656 on: May 31, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
My COT wants an explanation for every little thing that ever happens in any video I show.  :rolleyes:

For example, I showed the kids a video of Mr. Bean shopping and being his weird self. My COT asked me "Why is doing [weird thing]?" Uhhhh, it's Mr. Bean he does weird things for humor, I can't explain that. Or the other day I was showing a stop-motion Lego animation to the kids, and I had to explain to him what stop-motion was for 5 minutes and then he explained it to the kids, even though I explicitly heard them say "ooh, stop motion."

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5657 on: May 31, 2017, 08:49:42 AM »
Some days I think I will make it through my contract easy peasy, and other days, throwing myself in front of a bus seems like a far easier option than having to deal with the bullshit I face  as a GET.

Too many face palm desk moments in one morning.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5658 on: May 31, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »
My COT wants an explanation for every little thing that ever happens in any video I show.  :rolleyes:

For example, I showed the kids a video of Mr. Bean shopping and being his weird self. My COT asked me "Why is doing [weird thing]?" Uhhhh, it's Mr. Bean he does weird things for humor, I can't explain that. Or the other day I was showing a stop-motion Lego animation to the kids, and I had to explain to him what stop-motion was for 5 minutes and then he explained it to the kids, even though I explicitly heard them say "ooh, stop motion."

Weird things for humor. Isn't that the basis of all Korean variety and comedy shows?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5659 on: May 31, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Gaaaaaaaaaaah I just have a really hard time accepting the idea that I have to give passing grades to students that failed 3 years ago, when I wasn't even here.