November 19, 2017, 11:56:42 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564885 times)

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #560 on: August 25, 2016, 04:01:01 PM »
Oh get out of here with your, "Well I would never make that mistake" condescension.

Yeah, I would never check my class to make sure all of the desks were there.

Dude are you for real? Life isn't always Point A to Point B and repeat. Things, as you know, happen. Plus, I'm pretty sure no one in a venting thread has time for brilliant solutions from Monday morning quarterbacks.

????? I'm agreeing with you.

Apologies! I was reading a  :rolleyes: that wasn't there. OOPS @ ME.

:laugh: It's hard to tell in text sometimes when a person is being sarcastic or sincere. I can see how this particular one could have been interpreted both ways. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #561 on: August 26, 2016, 09:47:48 AM »

I simply don't know how far it goes and that scares me away from things like getting into close relationships with people. From what I see/hear it seems like people are just living in a fantasy world of their own making for the sake of saving face or whatever.

I'm a big fan of never saying never, but that's the reason I wouldn't go local. Before I came here I never really understood the importance of a shared culture. Not lying about every single thing in life is a really important bit of culture for me.

The thing that is really just pissing me off the most is there is simply no need for them to lie about simple little things. "I forgot to blah blah blah. I'm sorry". How simple is that? It's even easier than lying!!!!!!

SAME.

I was so silly and thought that things such as not lying, not cheating (yes prostitutes count), and generally trying to live an honest life were shared among modern cultures. Boy was I wrong.

I also wonder if they think I'm a fool for being honest about things. I don't make up lies to cover my ass at work or inflate my self-worth. If I forgot something or made a mistake, I admit it. Maybe they're like "why isn't this idiot saving face she's so embarrassing!" as I'm sitting here wondering why they are so damn corrupt.

Relax. Where would humanity be without lying? I guarantee you nobody got anywhere telling the truth. It's a fact of life. Honesty means losing contacts, friends, and even family. So, what's left? Days of being alone. Doing what you want when you want to do it. Actually? it sounds do-able.

I'm not sure what kind of life you live where telling the truth would hinder your existence on a regular basis. Yikes.

Imagine a world without all those little white lies we tell others (and ourselves) so that the social wheels keep turning and folks don't end up murdering one another.

What would happen if you just told your co-worker that they look fat lately and should put down that fourth doughnut? It's the truth, but do you say it? Well, maybe in a Korean workplace ... :laugh:

Or maybe you tell your best friend that they were actually the one that was wrong in their recent relationship and that that's why their ex broke up with them. Maybe it's the truth, do you say it though? Probably not, you call the ex a scumbag, say everything will be alright and go out for drinks arm in arm...

We all lie to:

A) save face at some point
B) say what others want to/need to hear
C) go along to get along at work

The only difference is the cultural boundary of how and when to lie is different here in Korea than in the "West". So it seems shocking when Koreans lie about something we would never feel the need to. Annoying? Yes. Is it that different from other cultures? No.

You wrote all that to just restate the obvious. And yeah where to draw the line isn't a small difference. It's actually a pretty big one when it comes to just about anything. We all lie, but where someone draws the line says a lot about their character in my opinion. If someone asks me my opinion on their clothing & they actually WANT my opinion, I give it honestly. If someone genuinely wants my opinion on their love life, I give it to them!

Haven't you ever known someone who exaggerates their stories or twists them to the point their word can't be trusted? Those people are not fun to be around vs someone who lies and tells you they like your new haircut when they really don't. It's all a matter of degree and the degree to which people lie here is uncomfortable to me. I expect adults to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. It's how I was raised, but "the truth" doesn't seem to be held in high regard here. I really don't feel the need to lie to just get through my day and the people who do feel the need aren't people I'd really like to be around.

I don't really understand the point of responses like this though. I've seen people spit back home a couple of times so does that mean I can't be tired of the hacking I can hear from my window and gobs of phlegm that litter the streets?

No one said Koreans invented lying so... no need to waste your time.

I'm surprised at your moral objection to lying, considering you admit to lying yourself. Is there a specific moral code to lying? What lying is acceptable and what is not? Please enlighten us as to the right way to lie.

I'm surprised you think there is NO moral code to lying. Everyone has to make one for themselves. That said.. who the hell raised you? I love coming onto waygook and seeing the low moral standards others set for themselves. It's fascinating.

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #562 on: August 26, 2016, 10:32:20 AM »

I simply don't know how far it goes and that scares me away from things like getting into close relationships with people. From what I see/hear it seems like people are just living in a fantasy world of their own making for the sake of saving face or whatever.

I'm a big fan of never saying never, but that's the reason I wouldn't go local. Before I came here I never really understood the importance of a shared culture. Not lying about every single thing in life is a really important bit of culture for me.

The thing that is really just pissing me off the most is there is simply no need for them to lie about simple little things. "I forgot to blah blah blah. I'm sorry". How simple is that? It's even easier than lying!!!!!!

SAME.

I was so silly and thought that things such as not lying, not cheating (yes prostitutes count), and generally trying to live an honest life were shared among modern cultures. Boy was I wrong.

I also wonder if they think I'm a fool for being honest about things. I don't make up lies to cover my ass at work or inflate my self-worth. If I forgot something or made a mistake, I admit it. Maybe they're like "why isn't this idiot saving face she's so embarrassing!" as I'm sitting here wondering why they are so damn corrupt.

Relax. Where would humanity be without lying? I guarantee you nobody got anywhere telling the truth. It's a fact of life. Honesty means losing contacts, friends, and even family. So, what's left? Days of being alone. Doing what you want when you want to do it. Actually? it sounds do-able.

I'm not sure what kind of life you live where telling the truth would hinder your existence on a regular basis. Yikes.

Imagine a world without all those little white lies we tell others (and ourselves) so that the social wheels keep turning and folks don't end up murdering one another.

What would happen if you just told your co-worker that they look fat lately and should put down that fourth doughnut? It's the truth, but do you say it? Well, maybe in a Korean workplace ... :laugh:

Or maybe you tell your best friend that they were actually the one that was wrong in their recent relationship and that that's why their ex broke up with them. Maybe it's the truth, do you say it though? Probably not, you call the ex a scumbag, say everything will be alright and go out for drinks arm in arm...

We all lie to:

A) save face at some point
B) say what others want to/need to hear
C) go along to get along at work

The only difference is the cultural boundary of how and when to lie is different here in Korea than in the "West". So it seems shocking when Koreans lie about something we would never feel the need to. Annoying? Yes. Is it that different from other cultures? No.

You wrote all that to just restate the obvious. And yeah where to draw the line isn't a small difference. It's actually a pretty big one when it comes to just about anything. We all lie, but where someone draws the line says a lot about their character in my opinion. If someone asks me my opinion on their clothing & they actually WANT my opinion, I give it honestly. If someone genuinely wants my opinion on their love life, I give it to them!

Haven't you ever known someone who exaggerates their stories or twists them to the point their word can't be trusted? Those people are not fun to be around vs someone who lies and tells you they like your new haircut when they really don't. It's all a matter of degree and the degree to which people lie here is uncomfortable to me. I expect adults to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. It's how I was raised, but "the truth" doesn't seem to be held in high regard here. I really don't feel the need to lie to just get through my day and the people who do feel the need aren't people I'd really like to be around.

I don't really understand the point of responses like this though. I've seen people spit back home a couple of times so does that mean I can't be tired of the hacking I can hear from my window and gobs of phlegm that litter the streets?

No one said Koreans invented lying so... no need to waste your time.

I'm surprised at your moral objection to lying, considering you admit to lying yourself. Is there a specific moral code to lying? What lying is acceptable and what is not? Please enlighten us as to the right way to lie.

I'm surprised you think there is NO moral code to lying. Everyone has to make one for themselves. That said.. who the hell raised you? I love coming onto waygook and seeing the low moral standards others set for themselves. It's fascinating.

I was raised by a loving but strict pack of wolves. Now, I know what you're thinking. Oh, he was raised by wolves so that's why he thinks it's ok to lie. But let me ask you. Have you ever seen a wolf lie?

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #563 on: August 26, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »
I was raised by a loving but strict pack of wolves. Now, I know what you're thinking. Oh, he was raised by wolves so that's why he thinks it's ok to lie. But let me ask you. Have you ever seen a wolf lie?
Every time they stop to rest!  :smiley:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #564 on: August 26, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »

Wolves blend in well with their natural habitats to fool prey. They're basically liars by nature.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/27/article-0-16A9F9F4000005DC-882_964x581.jpg

Offline Somebody

• Super Waygook
« Reply #565 on: August 26, 2016, 11:22:13 AM »

Wolves blend in well with their natural habitats to fool prey. They're basically liars by nature.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/12/27/article-0-16A9F9F4000005DC-882_964x581.jpg

Well, ok. But if you look at it that way then we are all liars because our armies use camouflage, too.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #566 on: August 26, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »
Why does muggy/rainy weather instantly mean, "Open the windows and let the molten steam roll in."?!  :cry:

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #567 on: August 26, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »

Well, ok. But if you look at it that way then we are all liars because our armies use camouflage, too.

Am I a liar because I blend in here? Lol.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #568 on: August 26, 2016, 12:51:40 PM »

Am I a liar because I blend in here? Lol.

You're the biggest liar of them all. :wink:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #569 on: August 26, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

There is a difference between deceit and lies.
One doesn't necessarily need to lie in order to deceive.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #570 on: August 26, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
This students in my first class after lunch today just trickled in, so I didn't have a complete class until five or six minutes after it was supposed to have started. That in and of itself is nothing out of the ordinary, and hardly worth a rant in here.

What got me was when one of the very last students to show up asked me if he could go get a drink of water as soon as sat down. I told him no, of course, because he had more than enough time during lunch and the 6 minutes it took him to get to class to stop and have something to drink.

After I told him no, though, he turned to my CoT and asked her in Korean if he could go get some water. I understood him, of course, and snapped at him (you can take the man out of the military, but...). Luckily my CoT backed me up on it, though it's a bit sad that I even need a CoT to back me up on it. That he even considered asking her to be a viable option says a lot about our status and authority here.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #571 on: August 26, 2016, 02:17:33 PM »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #572 on: August 26, 2016, 02:18:08 PM »
What got me was when one of the very last students to show up asked me if he could go get a drink of water as soon as sat down.

This drives me insane. You're already late, just drink some water or piss before you come to my class. I'm not going to be more mad that you're 8 mins late versus 6 mins late.

DERP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #573 on: August 26, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
My name is Chinguetti.
Every time I see your posts now I sing

Knees weak, arms are heavy
There's kimchi on her apron already,
Ajumma's Chinguetti

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #574 on: August 26, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »
Sooooo the routine teacher medical exam I just did now includes anal probing. It wouldn't have even been so terrible if my coteacher spoke English. I didn't understand which hole they wanted me to shove it in  :cry:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #575 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
Sooooo the routine teacher medical exam I just did now includes anal probing. It wouldn't have even been so terrible if my coteacher spoke English. I didn't understand which hole they wanted me to shove it in  :cry:

Wait.... what? No.  :shocked:

Offline sinhead

• Adventurer
« Reply #576 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »

Holy moly... nothing to add here except that is traumatising, and I hope you're ok!!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #577 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline SkidMarx

• Veteran
« Reply #578 on: August 26, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »

This has been phasing in and out for years. When I first arrived in Osan in 2012 and did my medical check, they handed me a Q-tip and told me to have at it (in a public restroom too, how gauche). Subsequent years in other cities (Seoul and Yongin) didn't require that at all.

I don't know what they were looking for in 2012 but they sure as hell didn't find it up my ass.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #579 on: August 26, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »
I'm not too traumatized, I got to probe my own self in the bathroom. It was just so awkward leading up to it. My coteacher just kept asking "is it possible?.. Inside you?" Over and over. Eventually she translated the word anus. And when I asked what it was testing for she didn't understand.