October 17, 2017, 04:50:17 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518846 times)

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5560 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »
Sometimes, communicating is really annoying...I really wanted to ask, "Do you not realize that I am basically trapped here until the bus comes and you are making me super uncomfortable? Do you not see that?"
I feel bad for the person who was trying to talk to you on the bus...
...I'm sorry you feel bad as the American community in Korea, and I hope don't feel isolated wherever you are.

Chinguetti's comments sound much more helpful here. I would *try to* ignore all the rest. There are stories like this that pop up all the time on waygook, so don't feel like it's just you. Unfortunately, they tend to attract as many unsympathetic comments as supportive ones.

I assumed it was a 20 something man and a 20 something woman who were both Americans in a small town in Korea. I was wrong, but under my initial assumption, I don't feel like my post was that bad. Unless you've lived in a town that only has a CU, then you don't really understand how starved for language you can be. So when you see someone your age and possibly from the same country, you're going to be a bit bolder than normal.

Hahaha, a CU? What is that! Ahahaha

I live in a teeny tiny town...

CU, GS25, 7/11 and Family Mart(rip) are all the same. Just a convenience store. I don't get your laughter.

Ah, sarcasm is easily missed on the internet. 

There literally is not even a convenience store where I live.  That's how small my town is.

I missed the moving text. My bad.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5561 on: April 21, 2017, 02:04:33 PM »
Had to return an Amazon order yesterday, which meant the dreaded trip to the post office. I foresaw difficulty and I was right...

- Once finished, she asked if I could write the address in Korean... Lady, this is an international
  parcel. Most people outside Korea can't read Korean. She then went to her computer, typed out
  'War and Peace' and said English was fine.

This is so absurd. hahaha, This is why everyone should know the Roman alphabet if you work in the public sector. You don't need to know English, but you have to know that Sanbon means 산본.

Jesus Christ, hahahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5562 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:51 PM »
The post office is such a pain in the arse here.

Sometimes doing anything is such a pain in the arse. Being an adult is a pain in the arse....Adult stuff with paperwork is a pain in the arse.

With the post office i do appreciate they are open past 4 though.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5563 on: April 21, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/04/international-fans-demand-apology-from-sbs-for-hong-hyun-hees-blackface-comedy-skit

:huh: :rolleyes: :huh:

Korean "gag people" have international fans?

Why is there an international blackface scandal stemming from Korean entertainers every month these days?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5564 on: April 21, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
http://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/04/international-fans-demand-apology-from-sbs-for-hong-hyun-hees-blackface-comedy-skit

Why is there an international blackface scandal stemming from Korean entertainers every month these days?
My guess is international fans living in Korea? Or the koreaboos living abroad?

It seems like they just don't care. I have seen a few things like this out and about in the past.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5565 on: April 21, 2017, 02:55:28 PM »
Had to return an Amazon order yesterday, which meant the dreaded trip to the post office. I foresaw difficulty and I was right...

- For returns, you print out a customs invoice and Amazon return address form and affix them to the package, which I did. There's also a space to write your address, which I did.

This is normal.

- The lady at the counter then gave me a form to fill out the shippers address and destination
  address. I showed that these addresses were already written on the box. Why would you need to
  affix a second return address on it? I decided this was a fight I wasn't going to win and wrote
  these addresses.

This is the customs form, as well as their copy of the shipment details. Lots of countries do this. Then there's a carbon copy that they can pull out for you, one for the post office, one on the parcel, and another for customs if they need it.

- Once finished, she asked if I could write the address in Korean... Lady, this is an international
  parcel. Most people outside Korea can't read Korean. She then went to her computer, typed out
  'War and Peace' and said English was fine.

That's unusual - I've never had that happen at a post office before.

- The she wanted a phone number for the destination address. I told her it's an Amazon commercial 
  , there's no need for a contact number. Again, she began typing 'Dante's Divine Comedy' and
  settled on no phone number.

Again, 100% normal for EMS or Air Parcel post. They don't need a phone number but it's recommended when possible. And they will accept it without one.

- As I left, she affixed the shipping address I wrote, next to the shipping address on the box. So,
  now the box had duplicates of both addresses affixed to it.

Which is why either 1) you don't need to put addresses on the box before you go to the post office, or 2) if one of the addresses is somehow damaged, there's a backup, so the odds of it being undeliverable are a lot lower.

The entire process took 25min.
That's a really long time.

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5566 on: April 21, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »

They had their own brand of umbrella a while ago (green/purple design) and it was branded as the CUmbrella.

Very unfortunate.

Please, please tell me you have pictures of this.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5567 on: April 21, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »

It seems like they just don't care. I have seen a few things like this out and about in the past.

I saw this happen at a church during a Christmas talent show where one group was singing "I Will Follow Him" with the corresponding scene from the movie Sister Act playing on the screen behind them. The big gag was the conductor turning her face to the crowd, revealing her Whoopi Goldberg blackface. Sure, the average Korean just doesn't know why that might be offensive. But given the several high-profile blackface incidents recently, you'd think entertainers would know better by now. Perhaps the gag woman was as surprised as I was that she had an international following and didn't expect the skit to reach beyond Korean shores.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5568 on: April 21, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »
Sure, the average Korean just doesn't know why that might be offensive.

I always wonder if Koreans would be offended if a foreign celebrity put on tan makeup and squinted their eyes and picked their nose in public and hocked loogies in an attempt to be act like a caricature of Korean stereotypes. Because it feels like they would.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5569 on: April 21, 2017, 03:18:23 PM »

I saw this happen at a church during a Christmas talent show where one group was singing "I Will Follow Him" with the corresponding scene from the movie Sister Act playing on the screen behind them. The big gag was the conductor turning her face to the crowd, revealing her Whoopi Goldberg blackface. Sure, the average Korean just doesn't know why that might be offensive. But given the several high-profile blackface incidents recently, you'd think entertainers would know better by now. Perhaps the gag woman was as surprised as I was that she had an international following and didn't expect the skit to reach beyond Korean shores.
Given the international appeal of a lot of Korean things, like kpop and kdramas, and the amount of foreigners living here, the entertainment world should at least have an inkling of how this would be perceived. There was that politician last year who made the dark skinned comments about a foreigner and got a ton of backlash. There have been other comedy shows that have done blackface and gotten. The Thai(?) laundry commercial... I feel like the show not expecting anyone outside of Koreans to see it is a bad excuse since everyone can see things like that now.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5570 on: April 21, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »

I always wonder if Koreans would be offended if a foreign celebrity put on tan makeup and squinted their eyes and picked their nose in public and hocked loogies in an attempt to be act like a caricature of Korean stereotypes. Because it feels like they would.

Yeah, that would obviously be offensive. But what if a foreign celebrity dressed up and put on makeup to look like a particular K-pop star and performed the song acting in slightly exaggerated manners of the actual star. That's a straight spoof. That's not obviously offensive, and some people might find it funny. A lot of what makes blackface offensive is not just the content but the history associated with it. A history much of the world will be unaware of. In the talent show that I witnessed, the joke was simply OMG She's black (but she's not really black!). It's not a very funny joke, but at the same time she wasn't up there trying to portray black people as ignorant or buffoonish.

I didn't watch the comedy skit so I don't know if that was nearly so *innocent*. Probably not, since buffoonery seems to be the only joke in town when it comes to gag shows. That on top of the overt prejudice you find here against people with darker skin tones.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:39:23 PM by donovan »

Offline gflips

• Adventurer
« Reply #5571 on: April 21, 2017, 03:42:59 PM »

I assure you that any adult Korean with at least 80 points of IQ is aware of what blackface means, and that it is offensive to black people.

What they don't understand, and what is surprising to them, is that anyone cares what black people think. They are particularly perplexed at the fact that a higher race like Koreans shouldn't be allowed to mock an obviously inferior race like Africans. They are also unable to fathom how people can let an inferior race like black people criticize Koreans, and don't at all understand why African people are even permitted to make public criticism, or listened to when they do.

So, yes, they don't really "understand," but not in the way one might think.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5572 on: April 21, 2017, 03:56:07 PM »

They had their own brand of umbrella a while ago (green/purple design) and it was branded as the CUmbrella.

Very unfortunate.

A guy showed it to me years ago on his phone. I wish.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5573 on: April 21, 2017, 04:12:12 PM »

Very unfortunate.

A guy showed it to me years ago on his phone. I wish.

"Don't be surprised by the sensitized rain."

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5574 on: April 21, 2017, 04:55:33 PM »
As far as cars turning off, a lot of high-end cars automatically turn off when idling at a stop. Its new tech.

I live in the arse-end of Korea. It's not new tech out here.

That's cool that cars do it automatically now though. At least as long as they manage to start up quickly afterwards. Also, I was always under the impression it took more fuel to start a car than to let it idle for some minutes. I imagine ignition tech has improved since then.

Argh! Now I'm not ranting in the ranting thread. More ranting!

Actually, if your car is going to be idle for more than around 30 seconds, then it is more fuel efficient to turn it off. That would be  inconvenient though, right?  :lipsrsealed: :undecided: I watched some show where they tested it, but can't remember where I saw/read it. :)

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5575 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
As far as cars turning off, a lot of high-end cars automatically turn off when idling at a stop. Its new tech.

That's cool that cars do it automatically now though. At least as long as they manage to start up quickly afterwards. Also, I was always under the impression it took more fuel to start a car than to let it idle for some minutes. I imagine ignition tech has improved since then.

Actually, if your car is going to be idle for more than around 30 seconds, then it is more fuel efficient to turn it off. That would be  inconvenient though, right?  :lipsrsealed: :undecided: I watched some show where they tested it, but can't remember where I saw/read it. :)

It's more fuel efficient but it's harder on the battery and the starter.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5576 on: April 21, 2017, 05:14:42 PM »

Westerners don't get it.

They got brainwashed with the logic-error that tribalism = racism.

Now they are screwed. Tribalism exists in evolutionary biology, it is real, and can never be removed. Racism is a made up concept. Labeling evolution "evil", and then trying to get rid of it with social conditioning (progressivist "logic"), is 1) stupid, because 2) it will never work, and has never worked.

Koreans are smart because they aren't yet brainwashed.  :azn:

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5577 on: April 21, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »

Westerners don't get it.

They got brainwashed with the logic-error that tribalism = racism.

Now they are screwed. Tribalism exists in evolutionary biology, it is real, and can never be removed. Racism is a made up concept. Labeling evolution "evil", and then trying to get rid of it with social conditioning (progressivist "logic"), is 1) stupid, because 2) it will never work, and has never worked.

Koreans are smart because they aren't yet brainwashed.  :azn:
I agree that tribalism is hardwired into the human psyche.
I disagree that the majority of folk conflate xenophobia with racism.
Generally speaking, those that do are hillbillies who don't particularly see the problem of either.

Also, to clarify, do you consider 'blackface' to be an expression primarily of tribalism?

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5578 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:32 PM »

It's more fuel efficient but it's harder on the battery and the starter.

Right. Batteries here cost an arm and a leg too. I changed my battery and it was around 130,000 won...Fun times

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5579 on: April 21, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
I disagree that the majority of folk conflate xenophobia with racism.

Also, to clarify, do you consider 'blackface' to be an expression primarily of tribalism?

I don't see why we would make any distinction? Tribalism is a natural thing. "Xenophobia" and "racism" are human labels, of that natural thing. Koreans just seem like normal people to me, who never got brainwashed. Making fun that "that other tribe over there" is totally natural behavior. Personally I don't care.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment