February 25, 2018, 07:52:59 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 721958 times)

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5540 on: May 23, 2017, 05:42:56 PM »
Have to decide whether to renew or not.  Guess I may as well.  LDR crumbled so I don't have that to go back to anyway  :cry:

At least I'll have some sweet savings after another year.   :undecided:
I know the feeling.

I'm still on the fence.  I could use the money, but the thought of another Korean winter + homesickness gives me pause. 

I'm surprised my school hasn't pressed me for an answer yet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 05:54:56 PM by denimdaze »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5541 on: May 24, 2017, 09:11:57 AM »
Had a crap-ton of stuff I needed to bring to school this morning, so I took a cab.

Driver tried to take some weird route that probably would have doubled the time it would have taken. Stopped him and made him take the usual route, which he acted like he didn't know but I'd noticed that I didn't always have to tell him when or where to make turns.

Then he tried to short-change me and, when I called him out on it, he acted like I must have dropped that extra 1k won bill he didn't actually give me.

It's one thing to think I might overlook a 100 won coin, but an entire bill? I've noticed that whenever I get a dishonest cab driver around here that they try to do things that implies they think I'm a complete idiot. I don't need to speak fluent Korean to do basic math, wtf.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #5542 on: May 24, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
I hate fire drills here. I don't see the point in how they conduct fire drills at all.
It seems like an activity merely to check the alarms work because it's not an exercise in practing proper evacuation procedures. The teachers don't exercise any kind of authority, the kids leave in a disorganised rabble and stand outside barely in their classes often running around with many lined up way too close to the building. There is no headcounts or register taken, no coordination to have the students leave and re-enter the building in an organised fashion and way too much time wasted entertaining the kids with a demonstration of how the fire truck's hose works. Is that not a waste of time for the fire service? Back home the fire service goes to schools but it's to educate hear groups on fire safety, not to show how high they can shoot water into the air.
In the event of any kind of emergency situation these kids are dead because they don't know how to evacuate calmly and will end up getting trampled. Or dying from smoke inhalation because they don't seem to know how smoke works.

ETA. Your kids come to school to learn, not to nap because they are sick. I'm not here to coddle your sick kids I'm here to try to improve their English and give them exposure to foreigners. If your kid is so sick they are going from class to class doing nothing but napping on the tables maybe don't send them to school. This goes for things like insomnia. If your kid is suffering so much from stress or insomnia that they are completely unresponsive in school and falling asleep at the back of the class maybe give them some time off school to rest and address the problem.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:39:32 AM by jomi »

Online denimdaze

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5543 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:43 AM »

ETA. Your kids come to school to learn, not to nap because they are sick. I'm not here to coddle your sick kids I'm here to try to improve their English and give them exposure to foreigners. If your kid is so sick they are going from class to class doing nothing but napping on the tables maybe don't send them to school. This goes for things like insomnia. If your kid is suffering so much from stress or insomnia that they are completely unresponsive in school and falling asleep at the back of the class maybe give them some time off school to rest and address the problem.

But then, how will the teacher and other students know the student is diligent?

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5544 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
Had a crap-ton of stuff I needed to bring to school this morning, so I took a cab.

UFOs are just unidentified flying objects if it was a missile then I'd run but the object was probably just a poo filled balloon.

The only abuse I've experienced is when Elon Musk walks into my apartment and drops an upper decker...which is at least once a month.

Some (most?) of these are horseshit and are overgeneralized, but there is something about it.

Lotta 똥 references today. Animal poop. Aerial poop. Poop in large quantities. Sneaky poop.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:35:13 AM by donovan »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5545 on: May 24, 2017, 11:26:55 AM »
Some of the PPTs on here send me into a rage. A quiet inside my head rage but a rage nonetheless.  (BTW I know, I'm still grateful that people upload but come on people.....)

Pictures with watermarks so obvious you can barely see the original image, shocking lack of creativity, no thoughtful use of colour or font, Outdated use of KPOP idols or cartoon characters (Every other thing ppt has to feature Bart Simpson or Mario) and many more horrible things.

I just saw one PPT that had a colour scheme of BROWN. 

:evil: >:( :cry: :blank: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 11:29:11 AM by Pennypie »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5546 on: May 24, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  After having lived in Korea I can never see or hear this word the same way every again without snickering. 

Some of the PPTs on here send me into a rage. A quiet inside my head rage but a rage nonetheless.  (BTW I know, I'm still grateful that people upload but come on people.....)

Pictures with watermarks so obvious you can barely see the original image, shocking lack of creativity, no thoughtful use of colour or font, Outdated use of KPOP idols or cartoon characters (Every other thing ppt has to feature Bart Simpson or Mario) and many more horrible things.

I just saw one PPT that had a colour scheme of BROWN. 

:evil: >:( :cry: :blank: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Yeah, a lot of PPTs I end up swapping out images for ones that are more my style.  I like hunting for pictures though. 

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #5547 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:07 AM »

Sleeping at the back of class and refusing to do any work is not delivery it's annoying and a waste of my time and probably more harmful to the child's education than if they were kept off school while sick.
Astonishing but kids tend to do better in school when they aren't sick and have adequet rest, who knew

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #5548 on: May 24, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

Sweet reference.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5549 on: May 24, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
Some of the PPTs on here send me into a rage....
...horrible things!...
Hahahhaha. I know - some of them are so miserable.
You should check mine out: they're filled with...
Comic Sans!
:evil:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5550 on: May 24, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »
...horrible things!...
Comic Sans!

I love comic sans! It's a misunderstood font.  ;D

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5551 on: May 24, 2017, 12:40:54 PM »
I use comic sans all the time, because it looks a lot like handwritten versions of the letters they're learning. Some fonts have the versions of lower case a and g that they aren't taught, or just look dull. Comic sans 4 lyfe.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5552 on: May 24, 2017, 12:52:58 PM »
...horrible things!...
Comic Sans!

I love comic sans! It's a misunderstood font.  ;D

I use comic sans all the time, because it looks a lot like handwritten versions of the letters they're learning. Some fonts have the versions of lower case a and g that they aren't taught, or just look dull. Comic sans 4 lyfe.

Comic Sans is the best font for elementary level EFL education.

Comic sans due appreciation.  >:(

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5553 on: May 24, 2017, 12:55:41 PM »
Comic Sans!
Comic Sans is the best font for elementary level EFL education.
It's also a really thick font, so it's very easy to see on the monitor from anywhere in the room, especially if you use contrasting colours (like white text with black outlining).

* Hey, Pennypie, ... notice the watermarks? :D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:08:03 PM by kyndo »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5554 on: May 24, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
I never understood the hate that Comic Sans gets from the public at large, I've always loved it.

Lotta 똥 references today. Animal poop. Aerial poop. Poop in large quantities. Sneaky poop.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,106562.msg706021/topicseen.html#new

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #5555 on: May 24, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
I never understood the hate that Comic Sans gets from the public at large, I've always loved it.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,106562.msg706021/topicseen.html#new

Keep pushin' 'em out!

Poop (<--Arial poop!)

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5556 on: May 24, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »
I use Goudy Stout font and I punish any student who cant read it. My classroom my rules.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5557 on: May 24, 2017, 01:10:24 PM »
I use Goudy Stout font and I punish any student who cant read it. My classroom my rules.
I've seen some powerpoints here where the students would probably have been better off if the teacher had used the wingdings font.  :sad:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Single
« Reply #5558 on: May 24, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »
How's this for a ppt? *shudders*

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5559 on: May 24, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
How's this for a ppt? *shudders*

Thanks for embarrassing me here in front of everyone ahole.. >:(

I just thought kids need to learn about RWBY. If not now, then when?

And yes the soundtrack does KICKASS!