September 25, 2017, 06:58:33 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490412 times)

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5400 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
health declined when sugar and white flour were introduced.

You got a source on that?

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5401 on: April 18, 2017, 06:43:31 PM »

LMAO, the internet is so hilarious.   :huh:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5402 on: April 18, 2017, 07:16:02 PM »
Morphologically speaking, humans (like most other primate) are omnivores. As such, we can more or less eat whatever they like.

That's not really the point.

Homo sapiens CAN SURVIVE eating a lot of different things. But are more adapted to certain foods (meat, and plants not including grains). This is easily proven, as for every single culture that has ever existed, all over the planet — health declined when sugar and white flour were introduced.

Your theory—destroyed!
    :huh:
     Um, all that I pointed out was that humans are omnivores. No theories postulated to be destroyed.

So long as I'm not the main course, I'm pretty laissez faire about what other folk choose to eat. :undecided:

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5403 on: April 18, 2017, 07:22:20 PM »
Um, all that I pointed out was that humans are omnivores.

People misinterpret "omnivore" with "being able to eat anything with equal results". The existence of a metabolic syndrome epidemic sweeping the planet contradicts that.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5404 on: April 18, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
Loki88,

I don't envy you.

I used to get an earful from a former colleague and friend that went through the same struggles/battles.

Thankfully for him, his wife was much more assertive and firm with her mother (that is a razor's edge to navigate).

How many more years do you think you will have to endure?

Years. Pff, our plane tickets are booked for June.

I'm just worried about leaving fir more than 30 seconds because I come back to the temp set to 30 and my son is wrapped in multiple blankets panting fir breath.

He was actually hospitalized Monday night and she still doesn't ****** get it. My wife is too scared to do anything about it.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5405 on: April 18, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
Loki88,

I don't envy you.

I used to get an earful from a former colleague and friend that went through the same struggles/battles.

Thankfully for him, his wife was much more assertive and firm with her mother (that is a razor's edge to navigate).

How many more years do you think you will have to endure?

Years. Pff, our plane tickets are booked for June.

I'm just worried about leaving fir more than 30 seconds because I come back to the temp set to 30 and my son is wrapped in multiple blankets panting fir breath.

He was actually hospitalized Monday night and she still doesn't ****** get it. My wife is too scared to do anything about it.
No doubt, she has the best of intentions.  She is simply unable to see how wrong-headed she is.

Two practices you'll want to put an end to: laying the child on the hard floor and having their legs spread out around the backs of their mothers/grandmothers (old school back strapping).  Both cause irreversible damage and deformity: flat-head cranium/Plagiocephaly and bowed legs (two generations+ suffer from the above).

Be mindful.

As for your wife, don't be too tough on her.  Postpartum depression can take its toll.

Hang in there Loki.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5406 on: April 19, 2017, 12:17:19 AM »

LMAO, the internet is so hilarious.   :huh:

No, seriously. I'm 95% sure that sugar and flour have done way more good than harm for the average human being. If your post was serious - and it's hard to tell when you're so flippant - you need some proof to back up such a claim.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5407 on: April 19, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »
No, seriously. I'm 95% sure that sugar and flour have done way more good than harm for the average human being.

Umm. The internet is so weird sometimes I don't even know, uhh what to say. It's probably all the sugar, destroying the minds of people.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5408 on: April 19, 2017, 12:59:29 AM »
This is easily proven, as for every single culture that has ever existed, all over the planet — health declined when sugar and white flour were introduced.
"White flour" dates from around 1870, when steam-driven mills came about during the Industrial Revolution.

Avg world life expectancy in 1870 was 29.7 years.  Today, it is 71.4 years. 

It is verifiably untrue that "health" (assuming that has anything to do with, y'know, being alive) has declined since the introduction of white flour.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5409 on: April 19, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »

"White flour" dates from around 1870, when steam-driven mills came about during the Industrial Revolution.

HA!!! You guys crack me up. Riiiight, because life span is a proxy for health.  :rolleyes:

Internet people always say that...

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5410 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »

HA!!! You guys crack me up. Riiiight, because life span is a proxy for health.  :rolleyes:

So do medical people, at least in that life expectancy is the most widely used measure of health.  It's not perfect, and there are ways of computing "quality of life" into measuring "health", but however you do it, it is simply a fact that human health has vastly improved since the introduction of white flour.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5411 on: April 19, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
Sorry, but wouldn't looking at the actual causes of increased lifespans be more telling?

Clean drinking water, for example?

Life expectancy has increased in India, Africa, etc., for different reasons, but not one of them is due to white flour and sugar.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5412 on: April 19, 2017, 09:51:34 AM »
Sorry, but wouldn't looking at the actual causes of increased lifespans be more telling?

Clean drinking water, for example?

Life expectancy has increased in India, Africa, etc., for different reasons, but not one of them is due to white flour and sugar.
Certainly, but I didn't say white flour has either contributed to or caused a decline in human health.

I was responding to this statement: "health declined when sugar and white flour were introduced."

And it's just not so.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5413 on: April 19, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
White flour and sugar are literally poison

I live on the edge *eats donut for breakfast*
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5414 on: April 19, 2017, 10:41:56 AM »
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5415 on: April 19, 2017, 10:45:14 AM »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Brilliant graph! Checkmate, sheeple.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5416 on: April 19, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »

Are you not also one of these "Internet people"?

Life span is absolutely a proxy for health. Who is more likely to die, a healthy person or an unhealthy person? Use some common sense.

Sugar and flour are easily produced, stored and are a decent source of energy.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 11:01:40 AM by Lurch »

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5417 on: April 19, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »

you really need to lay down the law here. what's going to happen if your son dies because of your MIL?

kick her out, make some alternative arrangements for child care. literally scream at her if she doesn't get it.

this is not the time to be nice.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5418 on: April 19, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
Not really a rant, but it kind of grinds my gears how native teachers are expected to always have an organized, educational, and fun class for every single class, but for Korean teachers, sometimes it's okay for them to just let students study for a few minutes and then play. Or give them the entire class to practice a roleplay. Basically all these things that are super low-demand on the teacher's energy.

Not like every time. Even the hardest working Korean teachers do that sometimes. Like, that's a normal thing that teachers do everywhere. Even in western countries. Sometimes students and teachers just need a nice, low-maintenance relaxing class period without a lot of structure.

But if a native teacher does that? Clearly not diligent and just wants to avoid making material.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5419 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »
^Ugh, I hear ya. 

For my elem. classes I'm not allowed to even use the book/cd so literally every class is GAMES AND FUN ACTIVITIES. 

Occasionally I do throw in some word searches and coloring sheets though.  As long as I make it relevant to the lesson at hand, my coT doesn't seem terribly affronted.  Then I can just go around and ask students questions one-on-one all chill like. 

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment