November 19, 2017, 08:20:57 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564597 times)

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #540 on: August 24, 2016, 10:40:13 AM »
So I go to my classroom today for the first class this morning. This class has 38 students, and I have 40 desks. But when I get to class, I find out that some other teacher or worker has stolen half of my desks! I had to spend a portion of the period hunting down enough chairs at least and figured I'd worry about the desks later since today their main assignment was speaking bingo so they would need to be walking around anyways. But still, who just takes the desks out of a specified classroom!

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #541 on: August 24, 2016, 11:42:46 AM »
I realize you are simply venting, but have you ever considered actually being more prepared.

Both of the issues you have mentioned thus far this semester could have been easily prevented had you prepared.

How about checking the room prior to class?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:05:52 PM by Pecan »

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #542 on: August 24, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
This happens occasionally with me as well.

While it's a fantastic idea in theory, Pecan's solution is too much effort to be really feasible.
 I just make everybody sit in a big circle on the floor. This comes in really handy later in those lessons where we all have to hold hands and sing "kumbaya".

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #543 on: August 24, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Looks like today's attempt to run the newest dumb security scan is gonna be deemed a failure too. It's been "scanning" for two hours and still isn't finished. And I'm not gonna stay late again. Guess I'll just be accessing NEIS from coworkers' computers until this gets fixed. Annoying

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #544 on: August 25, 2016, 09:21:29 AM »
My hair is too dry. I think it's the water, this wasn't a problem before I came to S. Korea. I need to buy a filter for my shower. ;c

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #545 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:05 AM »
My hair is too dry. I think it's the water, this wasn't a problem before I came to S. Korea. I need to buy a filter for my shower. ;c

It's definitely the water. Get that filter asap because the water here isn't just drying, it leaves a film on your hair that stops moisture from getting in. At least, that is my experience.

Gasian

« Reply #546 on: August 25, 2016, 10:08:54 AM »

It is the water. When I got here my first year, my hair started splitting and breaking, when I moved I got a shower head with a filter.... MUCH better, and when you see the shit in the filter...  :shocked:

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #547 on: August 25, 2016, 10:30:45 AM »
Arrive back in Korea, get to my stop on the airport bus, try for 30+ minutes to get a taxi home, but no taxi will take me..I have 4 bags.  Whatever.

I walk two bags ahead 30 meters, then walk back, get the other two bags and walk them ahead 60 meters, rinse and repeat (this has happened before, so I'm not blowing a fuse).

I have a nice sweat going within a minute due to the humidity and heat.

After 10 minutes of this baggage relay, this lovely young Korean girl, nicknamed "Kimberly" approached me to offer to help me.  I explain about the taxi situation, so she offers to help wheel my bags home.  I politely refuse her offer, as she is wearing a dress and high heels, it is extremely hot and humid, and my bags are maxed out at 32 kilos/70 pounds.

I continue, but after a couple of minutes, this "Kimberly" returns and insists on helping me, so I accept.

I do my best to make small talk while we muscle the bags toward my house.

She seems "normal", so my initial fears subside.

Once home, I asked her to wait, so I could quickly run inside (I wanted to give her a small  token of my appreciation in the form of a bottle of wine). She thought it too much, but accepted.

Thank you "Kimberly"!

On another note, electric bill from July: 683 kWh= 282,940! Not looking forward to August, as it is already over 600 kWh  :(

I have the AC on all the time and my monthly bills are 18-20 bucks. How on earth are yours so high? Are you in a 4 bedroom?

For the first time this year, I left my ac on 24/7 during my vacation. Was expecting a huge bill, but I thought...meh...it's hot as hell. Was surprised to see that my bill was only about 110 000 won for the month  ;D

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #548 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:03 AM »

It is the water. When I got here my first year, my hair started splitting and breaking, when I moved I got a shower head with a filter.... MUCH better, and when you see the shit in the filter...  :shocked:

Nice, even more motivation to go out to look for one after work.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #549 on: August 25, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
3rd grade classes with 30 kids. :cry:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #550 on: August 25, 2016, 12:31:54 PM »
Amen!

The tap water here is NASTY!

In another thread, someone asked about where to catch and eat fish here...

The sane responded,"NOT IN KOREA!"

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #551 on: August 25, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
I realize you are simply venting, but have you ever considered actually being more prepared.

Both of the issues you have mentioned thus far this semester could have been easily prevented had you prepared.

How about checking the room prior to class?

Oh get out of here with your, "Well I would never make that mistake" condescension.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #552 on: August 25, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Oh get out of here with your, "Well I would never make that mistake" condescension.

Yeah, I would never check my class to make sure all of the desks were there.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #553 on: August 25, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »

Dude are you for real? Life isn't always Point A to Point B and repeat. Things, as you know, happen. Plus, I'm pretty sure no one in a venting thread has time for brilliant solutions from Monday morning quarterbacks.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #554 on: August 25, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »

I'm also not in charge of furniture.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #555 on: August 25, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »
There was a student in my last class today that was using his phone, so I took it. He was upset, but whatever. I keep going. Its common practice to take phones. He gets up and tries to take it back, and when I say no, he started getting angry, then eventually progresses to him cussing me out in Korean. I tried making him do his work, but after that, I went to go kick him out, when he loses his mind and started yelling and screaming and kicked my desk hard enough to shake it and knock some stuff over, then kicks another big enpty teacher desk and broke the wood on the front. As he is leaving, still yelling, he kicks the door (which I'm surprised he didn't break also). This kid has issues, as he has broken a chair in class last year and gotten in fights before too. I know that a lot of kids have problems at home and need to be loved and just treated kindly, but actions like that make it hard. He actually scared me and I was shaking after.

Edit: This is high school. I might be scared even more if this was an elementary schooler...

Since in my two years at this same school my desks have never gone missing before. Heck, at any school!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:23:03 PM by HaLo3 »

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #556 on: August 25, 2016, 03:27:54 PM »
There was a student in my last class today that was using his phone, so I took it. He was upset, but whatever. I keep going. Its common practice to take phones. He gets up and tries to take it back, and when I say no, he started getting angry, then eventually progresses to him cussing me out in Korean. I tried making him do his work, but after that, I went to go kick him out, when he loses his mind and started yelling and screaming and kicked my desk hard enough to shake it and knock some stuff over, then kicks another big enpty teacher desk and broke the wood on the front. As he is leaving, still yelling, he kicks the door (which I'm surprised he didn't break also). This kid has issues, as he has broken a chair in class last year and gotten in fights before too. I know that a lot of kids have problems at home and need to be loved and just treated kindly, but actions like that make it hard. He actually scared me and I was shaking after.

Edit: This is high school. I might be scared even more if this was an elementary schooler...

From the POV of an elementary teacher, I wouldn't be that worried about this from any of my students because they're not all old enough to know better yet, and they're mostly not big enough to do any serious damage. But from a high schooler, I find it pretty freaking terrifying to be honest. If that was me I'm not sure how it would have turned out because most high school boys are probably bigger than me.  :lipsrsealed:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #557 on: August 25, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
There was a student in my last class today that was using his phone, so I took it. He was upset, but whatever. I keep going. Its common practice to take phones. He gets up and tries to take it back, and when I say no, he started getting angry, then eventually progresses to him cussing me out in Korean. I tried making him do his work, but after that, I went to go kick him out, when he loses his mind and started yelling and screaming and kicked my desk hard enough to shake it and knock some stuff over, then kicks another big empty teacher desk and broke the wood on the front. As he is leaving, still yelling, he kicks the door (which I'm surprised he didn't break also). This kid has issues, as he has broken a chair in class last year and gotten in fights before too. I know that a lot of kids have problems at home and need to be loved and just treated kindly, but actions like that make it hard. He actually scared me and I was shaking after.

From the POV of an elementary teacher, I wouldn't be that worried about this from any of my students because they're not all old enough to know better yet, and they're mostly not big enough to do any serious damage. But from a high schooler, I find it pretty freaking terrifying to be honest. If that was me I'm not sure how it would have turned out because most high school boys are probably bigger than me.  :lipsrsealed:
Haha, well I meant more that if an elementary grader had been able to do that sort of damage, they would have had to be pretty big.

But yeah, I have asked discipline to remove him from my class, because he is a huge distraction and disruptance ALL the time. And yeah, I'm not that little and this still scared me.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #558 on: August 25, 2016, 03:36:11 PM »

Dude are you for real? Life isn't always Point A to Point B and repeat. Things, as you know, happen. Plus, I'm pretty sure no one in a venting thread has time for brilliant solutions from Monday morning quarterbacks.

????? I'm agreeing with you.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #559 on: August 25, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »

????? I'm agreeing with you.

Apologies! I was reading a  :rolleyes: that wasn't there. OOPS @ ME.