December 11, 2017, 08:22:02 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 593939 times)

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5340 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:12 PM »
I missed my stop on the ktx and went from dongdaegu to daejeon. I now have no way home for work tomorrow. I'm having a nice panic attack as a result

Maybe there are still buses running from the local bus terminal? Otherwise, taxi as a last resort or catch the earliest transit back in the morning. 

Also try 1330, should be the Korean tourism hotline.  They can look up that stuff for you or help you find the best way back.

Nah, the busses stop running into my town after a certain point.

I did realize that there's a midnight train out of Daegu that runs today, luckily. Last time I tried to use it on a Sunday, it wasn't in service so hooray for small miracles. Gonna be sick as all hell and piss tired for tomorrow though.

So you went FROM dongdaegu to Daejeon. so you ended up in Daejeon. and then you took a train out of .... Daegu? the place you started at?

that doesn't make any sense at all. how could you have taken a midnight train out of Daegu if you were in Daejeon?

also Dave Stepz, make sure you check which one of your sock accounts you're logged in under next time.  :wink:

everyone now knows that you and gprinziv are the same person.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5341 on: May 08, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
This weekend I took my bike down to Gunsan and planned on riding the Geumgang and Ocheon path. I wanted to knock those two off my bike passport and get the stamps for it. I'm 100kms into it when I get to the stamp booth at Sejong City and found that some tool stole the stamp! I really hate it when that happens. Not often, but from time to time.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5342 on: May 08, 2017, 01:30:38 PM »
Still annoyed that one of my schools canceled its school birthday holiday next week.  Wasn't able to use the computer at all today due to construction and being bounced from random room to random room, but at least my coT had the courtesy and foresight to warn me about that before classes today. 

Tomorrow's gonna be a nice, lazy day~

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5343 on: May 08, 2017, 01:40:54 PM »
I missed my stop on the ktx and went from dongdaegu to daejeon. I now have no way home for work tomorrow. I'm having a nice panic attack as a result

Maybe there are still buses running from the local bus terminal? Otherwise, taxi as a last resort or catch the earliest transit back in the morning. 

Also try 1330, should be the Korean tourism hotline.  They can look up that stuff for you or help you find the best way back.

Nah, the busses stop running into my town after a certain point.

I did realize that there's a midnight train out of Daegu that runs today, luckily. Last time I tried to use it on a Sunday, it wasn't in service so hooray for small miracles. Gonna be sick as all hell and piss tired for tomorrow though.

So you went FROM dongdaegu to Daejeon. so you ended up in Daejeon. and then you took a train out of .... Daegu? the place you started at?

that doesn't make any sense at all. how could you have taken a midnight train out of Daegu if you were in Daejeon?

also Dave Stepz, make sure you check which one of your sock accounts you're logged in under next time.  :wink:

everyone now knows that you and gprinziv are the same person.

I saw that about the account too, hahaha, oooops.

I think what he meant by there was another train leaving Daegu, was that that meant there would be another train that he could catch when it passes through Daejeon to Ansan...

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5344 on: May 08, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »
my work computer was barely useable and slower than a potato, so i uninstalled every korean "security" program, and now it works like a charm

what's the deal with the likes of AhnLab anyway? why is it so utterly useless, yet so prominent?

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5345 on: May 08, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
The weather may be nicer but the centipedes are back.  :cry: :cry:

One was on the wall next to my face, wiggling its feelers at me. 

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #5346 on: May 08, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
my work computer was barely useable and slower than a potato, so i uninstalled every korean "security" program, and now it works like a charm

what's the deal with the likes of AhnLab anyway? why is it so utterly useless, yet so prominent?

It's spyware. That's its purpose. I joked than when moonmoon wins, no more ahnlab.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5347 on: May 08, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

It's spyware. That's its purpose. I joked than when moonmoon wins, no more ahnlab.
every time i uninstalled it, it auto reinstalled the next time i restarted the computer. i had to force uninstall it using a particular program i found. insane.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5348 on: May 08, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »

He has my vote!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5349 on: May 10, 2017, 08:23:42 AM »
I want to watch American Gods, but all of the links have been deleted on the streaming sites I use.

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5350 on: May 10, 2017, 08:36:18 AM »
I'm thinking I may want to pack it in half way through my contract.

I can't even anymore.

Also listening to my CT teach the kids, "May I shit here?" is driving me nuts.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5351 on: May 10, 2017, 09:08:37 AM »
Returning to work after that long break was nothing short of having a thorn shoved down one way and out the other.

The struggle has never been more real.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5352 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Also listening to my CT teach the kids, "May I shit here?" is driving me nuts.

:laugh:

one of my coteachers always used to call 'sheets' (as in 'worksheets') 'shits'.

"good morning everyone! has everyone taken a shit today? please take a shit if you haven't taken one yet. Ji-hoon, why didn't you take a shit?"

welcome to the future of english education in korea when the 'useless' NETs are all phased out.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5353 on: May 10, 2017, 09:26:26 AM »
i have no classes today because it's sports day. my office is right near the gym, and because of the rain they've moved sports day from outside to inside the gym.

i'm trying to study for a korean-language test i have in 2 weeks and it is SO. DAMN. LOUD.

and i think i've heard every song by TWICE at least 394 times in the last 90 minutes since school started.

why does everything in this country have to be done at 537 decibels? even in class when we play songs or stuff off the textbook CD my co-teachers will blast the volume so loudly that it literally hurts my ears.

koreans genetically have a higher rate of myopia, do they have a higher rate of hearing problems too? or maybe they just get permanent hearing damage when they're younger from the sheer loudness of everything around them that they can't hear properly for the rest of their lives and thus it's a viscous circle of having to have everything at maximum volume all the time.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5354 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
i have no classes today because it's sports day. my office is right near the gym, and because of the rain they've moved sports day from outside to inside the gym.

i'm trying to study for a korean-language test i have in 2 weeks and it is SO. DAMN. LOUD.

and i think i've heard every song by TWICE at least 394 times in the last 90 minutes since school started.

why does everything in this country have to be done at 537 decibels? even in class when we play songs or stuff off the textbook CD my co-teachers will blast the volume so loudly that it literally hurts my ears.

koreans genetically have a higher rate of myopia, do they have a higher rate of hearing problems too? or maybe they just get permanent hearing damage when they're younger from the sheer loudness of everything around them that they can't hear properly for the rest of their lives and thus it's a viscous circle of having to have everything at maximum volume all the time.

I find that my wife has the volume up way too loud for any Korean TV channel but instantly turns it down when I watch any western TV show at a reasonable volume because it's too "loud".

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #5355 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:58 AM »

I find that my wife has the volume up way too loud for any Korean TV channel but instantly turns it down when I watch any western TV show at a reasonable volume because it's too "loud".

My wife does the same thing, but we are both Canadian.

Sci-fi or Period drama.... volume down.
Police or medical drama... volume up.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5356 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

That is exactly what happens to me! But I am like "Oh hell naw. This baby is staying at 4".

Online Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5357 on: May 10, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »

It is the same with the volume on the ringtones and message alerts.  On full power.  If it isn't full power on everything, you're not going to hear it or notice it.  Like the supermarkets that have the guy shouting into his microphone about the things on sale, on absolute full whack so much so the feedback makes it almost unintelligible.  I have sensitive hearing and there is nothing more likely to turn me off something than loud noise.  Korea is an unbelievably noisy country.

YoungMin

« Reply #5358 on: May 10, 2017, 10:48:38 AM »
I feel so emotional right now that i'm not the only one who notices/complains about the noise here. I thought it was just me being me.

When the wife watches anything Korean on her phone it is deafening.

Phones in the office/bus/train full blast KA TALK KA TALK KA TALK.

2 people having a conversation. Sounds like world war 3 is going to erupt but they're actually talking about something pleasant.

Does my head and my ears in.

Try and do a running dictation with your students. They don't understand the concept of whispering.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5359 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:04 AM »
so i'm bored and actually did some research on this.

this study found that 37.4% of koreans 12 years or older have hearing loss
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28196098

this one found that the hearing loss rate was 22.73%
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25216153

so around one-quarter to one-third of Koreans have hearing loss.

compare that to around 15% for Americans, and koreans definitely do in fact have impaired hearing compared to the US, at least
https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/statistics/quick-statistics-hearing