September 20, 2017, 12:35:05 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481852 times)

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5300 on: April 14, 2017, 05:02:07 PM »
Ugggggggghhhhhhhhh

Coming home last night from Ansan, after a great Indonesian meal, and some Ajeossi is looking at my phone. Like, piss off.

:afro: Ah, English.

>:( Yup.

:afro: Where you from?

>:( Canada.

:afro: Ah! I go to U of T for ESL.

>:( Oh, that's cool. Really good school.

:afro: What is favourite Korean food?

>:( 순대국 or 돼지갈비.

:afro: Ah, do you know kimchi? (I know this is a meme, but he actually asked me. MF, if I love sundaeguk and Dwayj ribs, you bet your ass I've 'heard of' kimchi, you nitwit)

:afro: Do you know CN Tower? 

>:( Yes. Do you know Namsan Tower?

:afro: Of course, I know. I am Korean. Why ask if I know that? (The irony is TOTALLY LOST ON THIS GUY)

>:( *sigh*

:afro: I get off at Sanbon.

>:( *sigh* Me too.

:afro: Ah, give me phone number. We go out for...... you know maekju? and Kimbab? (I told him I've been here 4 years, Christ, yes. FFS)

>:( Yeah, sounds great.

We get off at Sanbon and I tell him I have to use the washroom, in hopes that he'll say, "Oh, ok, Goodbye."

:afro: Ok, I will wait here.

MF~~~~~~~~~~

I come out later.

:afro: Urine? (pronounced like 유라인)

>:( Look, why would you ask me that? (patience is low)

:afro: Oh, sorry. Just you take long time so I think maybe not 유라인.

DON'T TAKE THE SOUTH EXIT, DON'T TAKE THE SOUTH EXIT................

:afro: *takes north exit*

>:( Ah, you're going that way? SEE YA.

You're a polite guy. In my case, the guy wouldn't have made it past the 2nd emoticon.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5301 on: April 14, 2017, 05:12:06 PM »
You're a polite guy. In my case, the guy wouldn't have made it past the 2nd emoticon.

Please understand my unique, polite Canadian situation.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5302 on: April 14, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
We eat lunch with the science teachers often, and there's one who is very nice, but I can't always understand her. Today we're walking to lunch and she says

"How are you?"
Me:  :azn: "I'm fine, thanks."
Her: "Oh really!?"
Me: "Yes...should I be unhappy?"
Her: "No but I am tired."

Okay, fine. You're tired, so does that mean I have to lie about how I feel? I dunno. Anyways lunch ended (we all ate quickly and there wasn't much conversation) and we put our trays away. Then she says

"You look sad!"
It's so hard to contain my annoyance right now. Do I have to be grinning like a bloody Cheshire cat all the time!? Walking out of the lunchroom doesn't require a big smile!
Me: "Oh, I'm not sad. I'm happy."
Her: "You do not have a positive attitude so I think you are sad."

Well now I'm not sad, but I am a little irritated. I hate it when people here tell me how I look. "You look sad/tired/sick" gets old fast, and she does it all the time.

I don't know why though I didn't have a positive attitude. I'm almost always smiling (I'm a pretty cheerful person in general), and I had literally just told her that I was fine. Since her English level is low maybe something got lost in translation.

This is probably such a minor complaint, but I am very tired of it.

Offline mkinkorea

• Explorer
« Reply #5303 on: April 14, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
This is more of a whine than a rant but...here goes. I've been feeling really burnt out lately. I had some tough classes twice this week (normally I see each class once a week), but it's more my whole work situation that is getting to me.

Some background: I'm a first-year (second semester) teacher working at a public middle school in a pretty well-off section of a metropolitan city. I have about 550 students that are currently divided into 5 levels; 1st and 2nd grade are both split into two levels, and 3rd grade is not. I also have an after-school class. So, I teach 24 hours a week and make 5-6 lessons (of which the textbook parts that I cover take about 10 minutes of each lesson) every week. I am also in charge of grading writing tests, giving and grading speaking tests, and editing the midterm and final exams for all three grades.

The workload itself would be fine, except that my co-teacher situation has changed this semester and I now have three co-teachers that make more work for me rather than less. One rarely comes to class, another comes but does almost nothing to help even in the very low-level classes, and the third tries to help but her English level is low so it takes a lot of explanation, demonstration, and trial and error to get her to understand what I need from her. Then, during my free periods, they come and ask me about grammar questions, exam questions, and a million other things that eat up my free time so I'm taking work home several times a week. And all of this while they constantly tell me about how "busy" they are and how they need to skip out on "our" classes so they can finish something "important."

I don't really know what to do, because I really like my kids (most of the time), I generally like my school, and I want to do the job well so that they get the best lessons/English department support possible. But, lately I've been frustrated and exhausted so much that it's making it hard to do that. I'm not sure if it's a me problem, a school problem, or a first-year teaching problem, but I'm losing patience, focus and enthusiasm a lot faster than I used to or want to.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5304 on: April 14, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »
This day needs to end. I just had some random people walk into my classroom and spray everything with something.. with what you cry? I DO NOT KNOW! They just sprayed it over me and the classroom and left. I really just need the day to be over. Let NK drop the bombs I am probably dying of some kind of bug poisoning now anyway!

*Edit: they said it won't affect me, but I keep coughing. It's probably psychosomatic. But I am tired and therefore dramatic. I think I'm dying. Maybe those were NK spies and they are spraying the schools in preparation.. who knows. I really need a drink and a cigarette.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:14:36 PM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #5305 on: April 14, 2017, 06:25:28 PM »
I am at a loss about what to do with my 5th grade class.  They are out of control and about half of them barely know the most basic English.  Plus, I think their homeroom teacher finds it amusing when I struggle to control them. (I realize that this is probably not the case, but I still want to vent about it). 
It's just a super frustrating situation caused by a sh*t-ton of factors and nothing I've tried so far has worked.

First of all, I'm at a small rural school. This year they decided to combine two grade 4 classes into one grade 5 class.  The problem is that one of the grade 4 classes had an amazing teacher who always did an incredible job teaching her English lesson.  Some of her students were still very low-level, but at least they were motivated.   The other grade 4 teacher never taught his weekly English lesson. Most of his students could barely answer the simplest questions.  Then their are 5 super advanced students who attend hagwon.  This year, all these students are in the same class.

If I slow things down to accomodate the low-level students (or try to give them extra attention), the more advanced ones get rowdy and create problems.  I can't give out extra/different worksheets to the advanced students because they view it as punishment or it singles them out.  Neither is a good result.  I also have 2 students in that class who refuse to do anything.  It's a good day if they open their textbook. 
I've tried packing my class full of fun games to engage them and adjusting the skill level to try and suit everyone. But that failed miserably. Either it's too easy for the advanced students or way to hard for the low-levels.  And it's always too hard for the low-level students.  Today we played a game where they had to write the English word for numbers.  They couldn't even do that.  How do you spell 5? They sure as h*ll didn't know.  Two years of English education and some could not even me what number 5 was. Did the last foreign teacher not teach them anything?  :cry:
I've swear that I have tried all the standard solutions (mixed-level groups, assigning roles, creating student-helper partners etc.,etc.,etc.).

It would be easier if I didn't have to follow the assinine textbook (the grass is always greener, amirite?).  If I could slow the lessons down and focus on what the students really need, then I think I could build up their English level.  Maybe. 

And then there's their homeroom teacher.  We will call him Mr. Statue, because all he does is sit at the back of the class, like a statue (obviously, I'm hella creative).  He doesn't do work or play on his phone.  He just sits there and watches.  Is it too much to ask that he helps me control the class from time to time?  I want to talk to him about it, but I'm worried I'll offend him.  Has anyone else had this issue with a HR teacher?  Have you talked to them about it? Did it work?

Sorry for the crazy, long rant.  I feel much better now.  ;D

On the bright side, one of my students-who-does-nothing told me that he is going to, and I quote,   "write teacher name in Death Note book, so you die." This is the most English I've gotten out of him all semester, so I think I'm making progress.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5306 on: April 14, 2017, 06:26:44 PM »
Ugggggggghhhhhhhhh

Coming home last night from Ansan, after a great Indonesian meal, and some Ajeossi is looking at my phone. Like, piss off.

:afro: Ah, English.

>:( Yup.

:afro: Where you from?

>:( Canada.

:afro: Ah! I go to U of T for ESL.

>:( Oh, that's cool. Really good school.

:afro: What is favourite Korean food?

>:( 순대국 or 돼지갈비.

:afro: Ah, do you know kimchi? (I know this is a meme, but he actually asked me. MF, if I love sundaeguk and Dwayj ribs, you bet your ass I've 'heard of' kimchi, you nitwit)

:afro: Do you know CN Tower? 

>:( Yes. Do you know Namsan Tower?

:afro: Of course, I know. I am Korean. Why ask if I know that? (The irony is TOTALLY LOST ON THIS GUY)

>:( *sigh*

:afro: I get off at Sanbon.

>:( *sigh* Me too.

:afro: Ah, give me phone number. We go out for...... you know maekju? and Kimbab? (I told him I've been here 4 years, Christ, yes. FFS)

>:( Yeah, sounds great.

We get off at Sanbon and I tell him I have to use the washroom, in hopes that he'll say, "Oh, ok, Goodbye."

:afro: Ok, I will wait here.

MF~~~~~~~~~~

I come out later.

:afro: Urine? (pronounced like 유라인)

>:( Look, why would you ask me that? (patience is low)

:afro: Oh, sorry. Just you take long time so I think maybe not 유라인.

DON'T TAKE THE SOUTH EXIT, DON'T TAKE THE SOUTH EXIT................

:afro: *takes north exit*

>:( Ah, you're going that way? SEE YA.

hahahahaha

Sorry for your suffering but this was a much needed laugh.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5307 on: April 14, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
This is more of a whine than a rant but...here goes. I've been feeling really burnt out lately. I had some tough classes twice this week (normally I see each class once a week), but it's more my whole work situation that is getting to me.

Some background: I'm a first-year (second semester) teacher working at a public middle school in a pretty well-off section of a metropolitan city. I have about 550 students that are currently divided into 5 levels; 1st and 2nd grade are both split into two levels, and 3rd grade is not. I also have an after-school class. So, I teach 24 hours a week and make 5-6 lessons (of which the textbook parts that I cover take about 10 minutes of each lesson) every week. I am also in charge of grading writing tests, giving and grading speaking tests, and editing the midterm and final exams for all three grades.

The workload itself would be fine, except that my co-teacher situation has changed this semester and I now have three co-teachers that make more work for me rather than less. One rarely comes to class, another comes but does almost nothing to help even in the very low-level classes, and the third tries to help but her English level is low so it takes a lot of explanation, demonstration, and trial and error to get her to understand what I need from her. Then, during my free periods, they come and ask me about grammar questions, exam questions, and a million other things that eat up my free time so I'm taking work home several times a week. And all of this while they constantly tell me about how "busy" they are and how they need to skip out on "our" classes so they can finish something "important."

I don't really know what to do, because I really like my kids (most of the time), I generally like my school, and I want to do the job well so that they get the best lessons/English department support possible. But, lately I've been frustrated and exhausted so much that it's making it hard to do that. I'm not sure if it's a me problem, a school problem, or a first-year teaching problem, but I'm losing patience, focus and enthusiasm a lot faster than I used to or want to.

Mk, this is entirely understandable and we can all empathise with this especially when we were first starting here and getting used to the new systems, co-teachers and school culture.  The lesson planning seems like a massive burden now but as you keep doing them you see what works and you just get better at pulling lessons out of thin air. 

Also, it is a little past the honeymoon phase with the kids.  You are not new and shiny anymore and you start to see how the kids work and their general behaviour and they see more of you too.  It comes and goes in phases, you have the good and the bad days.  The trick is to just let the bad days go and not worry about them and take energy from the good days.  This is difficult these days with the shtity weather with teh dust and the dryness, it is just energy sapping.  Keep going and things will get better, we've all done it.

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5308 on: April 17, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
they switched my first and sixth periods. They told me 3 minutes ago. Class starts now.

This was my prep time. I hate this school. I really don't want to be here.

Time to suck it up and look like shit through another terrible day...

Edit: walked into the classroom and nearly broke down. Panic attack. Awesome. I love useless coteachers
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:58:20 AM by gprinziv »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5309 on: April 17, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »
My school is doing an English storytelling competition in June and I'm trying to find stories.

"Short Stories for Low Intermediate Learners"

Sounds good, right?

Nope.

http://www.rong-chang.com/qa2/stories/story001.htm

These are not stories. They are f'in news articles.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5310 on: April 17, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
My school is doing an English storytelling competition in June and I'm trying to find stories.

"Short Stories for Low Intermediate Learners"

Sounds good, right?

Nope.

http://www.rong-chang.com/qa2/stories/story001.htm

These are not stories. They are f'in news articles.
If you are still looking, this is the one I use. Super easy.

http://www.really-learn-english.com/english-short-stories.html

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5311 on: April 17, 2017, 11:52:29 AM »
Relationship issues. Ugh. Is there something in the air?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5312 on: April 17, 2017, 12:39:54 PM »
I am NOT IN THE MOOD TODAY.

I have a CT who translates everything I say to the 6th graders. Consequently, they are some of the laziest and unmotivated students I have come across in my years here. My time with them is completely pointless. I'd rather teach another grade twice a week instead of having to waste time on lessons rendered completely useless because my CT is always giving them the answers.

Take today for example. I planned a listening activity. Very simple, I say a dialogue straight from the book and they draw a line to the correct pictures. It's not rocket science and it's all from book work they've already done... yet my CT translates everything I say into Korean and even TELLS THEM WHICH PICTURE TO DRAW A LINE TO. Why am I wasting my breath?? I want to say something to her but I feel like in my current mood I wont be able to say it nicely.

She's wasting MY time, the students' time, my energy, and precious printer ink. Why doesn't she realize this?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5313 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »
Hmm, maybe thats it. I seem to be having a few as well. Maybe it has to do with all the cherry blossoms falling...

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5314 on: April 17, 2017, 12:48:55 PM »

Mercury is retrograde.

Offline Conner42

• Adventurer
« Reply #5315 on: April 17, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
Hmm, maybe thats it. I seem to be having a few as well. Maybe it has to do with all the cherry blossoms falling...
Cherry Blossoms...isn't it that time of year where Cherry Blossom Ending gets airplay again in Korea?

I think I see what's going on. That song is just...ugh

Anyway, whatever is happening, it seems to have come all the way here in China because I've definitely had some problems lately ^^
Remember: KEU-RAY-EUN-POP

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5316 on: April 17, 2017, 02:38:12 PM »

Just dust and heavy metals  :sad:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5317 on: April 17, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »
Cherry Blossoms...isn't it that time of year where Cherry Blossom Ending gets airplay again in Korea?

I think I see what's going on. That song is just...ugh

Anyway, whatever is happening, it seems to have come all the way here in China because I've definitely had some problems lately ^^
Is that a song? I should look it up, haha.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5318 on: April 17, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
I am NOT IN THE MOOD TODAY.

I have a CT who translates everything I say to the 6th graders. Consequently, they are some of the laziest and unmotivated students I have come across in my years here. My time with them is completely pointless. I'd rather teach another grade twice a week instead of having to waste time on lessons rendered completely useless because my CT is always giving them the answers.

Take today for example. I planned a listening activity. Very simple, I say a dialogue straight from the book and they draw a line to the correct pictures. It's not rocket science and it's all from book work they've already done... yet my CT translates everything I say into Korean and even TELLS THEM WHICH PICTURE TO DRAW A LINE TO. Why am I wasting my breath?? I want to say something to her but I feel like in my current mood I wont be able to say it nicely.

She's wasting MY time, the students' time, my energy, and precious printer ink. Why doesn't she realize this?

I sympathize. That's super annoying.

But also, not worth arguing about with her. You could try politely suggesting to her that she give the students a few seconds to consider what you're saying before translating, and see how that works.

But, if that's her style and that's what she wants to do, at least enjoy the fact that you'll never have the frustration of trying to explain an activity and have students completely not comprehend it because your coteacher is absent (mentally, or physically).

It's frustrating, but it's not all bad.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5319 on: April 17, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
Is there something in the air?

Just dust and heavy metals  :sad:

Making matters worse, Seoul said there was not much that could be done about the problem, and claimed that about 80 per cent of the capital’s pollution was external in origin – mostly from China.

The South Korean government has laid the lion’s share of blame on Beijing for years, ignoring the fact that coal and liquified natural gas (LNG) consumption have both skyrocketed over the past decade, according to the South Korean Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy.

From 2005 to 2014, South Korea’s gas-fired power plants increased their output from 58,000 to 111,700 gigawatt hours, while coal-fired powered plants also increased from 134,900 to 203,800 gigawatt hours.

The government has even blamed cooking habits and automobiles for the pollution, despite the fact that coal power plants have been proven to be the country’s biggest polluters. A government report, released in May 2016, even went as far as to say the leading cause of indoor air pollution was “frying mackerel”.

South Korea now has 53 coal power plants, the Financial Times reported last month. From 2005 to 2015, capacity rose from 17 to about 26 million kilowatts, then last year it spiked to 35 million kilowatts.

“The government is sitting idly by while passing the buck to China,” the Financial Times article quoted Kim Shin-do, a professor of environmental engineering at the University of Seoul, as saying.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/2087447/china-blame-koreas-pollution-really

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment