October 19, 2017, 04:18:15 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 522506 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5140 on: April 11, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »
Really wanted to stay in public school. Really wanted to transfer. Got an email back saying apparently they don't do that and I'll have to reapply from scratch.

I'm seriously considering just working at a hagwon, even tho I was really skittish about the idea in the past.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,105632.0.html

7 public schools in Chungnam

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #5141 on: April 11, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
Really annoyed at my co-teacher. She comes in 5 minutes before the start of class so I cannot go over my daily lesson plan with her. This normally wouldn't be an issue, but she is unable to explain my games to the grade 1 and 2 students. She didn't know simon says(explained it incorrectly) and other simple games and I am not allowed to speak in Korean to explain these games to the children. She also does nothing in regards to class room control. Again, you have kids hitting each other right in front of her, and she does nothing. I've asked her for help but by then I could fix the situation on my own. It's not a huge problem but it disrupts the flow of my class.

Aughhhhhhhhh

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #5142 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:41 PM »
Chungnam

Really polluted part of Korea though. Place with the most coal plants, and future planned construction of coal burning plants. I'd be wary of that area for that reason personally.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5143 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:49 PM »

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,105632.0.html

7 public schools in Chungnam

Yeah but the contract overlap. As much as I don't feel like this area is a good fit for me, I also don't want to be a jerk that pulls out of the contract before it's up just because I want to live somewhere I can have a semblance of a life outside of work. Feels selfish. Idk I'm in a weird mood today, even before I got the email.

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #5144 on: April 11, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Are the requirements for a public job lower in the countryside? I know I am not qualified in Seoul due to the lack of a TEFOL/TESOL cert.

Offline apple_pen

• Explorer
« Reply #5145 on: April 11, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
Not really. I have tonnes of experience and they've put me in a rural part of town. Thing is, I teach on my own in one of the schools. So i guess it really depends what the needs of the schools in the area are.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5146 on: April 11, 2017, 02:50:29 PM »
Today when I asked a class to open their books to a certain page, a student said "Mr. Tim, we already did this!"

I knew for certain that I hadn't done that unit with that class yet, so after pressing the issue a bit, I found out that he had let his friend borrow his book, and his friend did the work in that unit. After looking around the class a bit, I discovered that that was also the case with twelve other students. That means that out of a class of 26 students, 13 of them already had the page we I had planned to do filled out.

That rustled my jimmies a great deal, naturally. It's always weak af to plan a class, only to have a wrench thrown in it like that. To make things even more annoying, I had an exchange about it with my CoT:

Me: "So what do you suggest we do about this?"
CoT: "I don't know."
Me: "What can we do to prevent this from happening in the future?"
CoT: *shrugs*

Great. Thanks for the help. Ugh.

I have no real authority, and nobody in an actual position of authority is ever willing to do anything to improve anything here. I do realize that even my CoT really doesn't have all that much authority when it comes to the system or even disciplining the students, but I wish someone would try to do something.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5147 on: April 11, 2017, 02:57:21 PM »
Today when I asked a class to open their books to a certain page, a student said "Mr. Tim, we already did this!"

I knew for certain that I hadn't done that unit with that class yet, so after pressing the issue a bit, I found out that he had let his friend borrow his book, and his friend did the work in that unit. After looking around the class a bit, I discovered that that was also the case with twelve other students. That means that out of a class of 26 students, 13 of them already had the page we I had planned to do filled out.

That rustled my jimmies a great deal, naturally. It's always weak af to plan a class, only to have a wrench thrown in it like that. To make things even more annoying, I had an exchange about it with my CoT:

I have no real authority, and nobody in an actual position of authority is ever willing to do anything to improve anything here. I do realize that even my CoT really doesn't have all that much authority when it comes to the system or even disciplining the students, but I wish someone would try to do something.
   I've run across that same problem a few times too. It's irritating.
   Still, it's not a huge disaster; I just smile nicely at my coworker, give her my book, and ask her to make a few copies of that page. The kids do a quick activity while copies are being made, then close their books and work from the copies. Crisis averted! :smiley:

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5148 on: April 11, 2017, 03:02:39 PM »

Years ago, we had this problem, so the students were required to simply leave their books in a cabinet at the end of each class.

No more lost books or sharing needed.

Only drawback was that it took a minute at the start and end of each class.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5149 on: April 11, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »

Years ago, we had this problem, so the students were required to simply leave their books in a cabinet at the end of each class.

No more lost books or sharing needed.

Only drawback was that it took a minute at the start and end of each class.

I'd happily give up a little time at the beginning of class if it meant they'd all be prepared, but in practice all that ends up happening in the classrooms I have where they're allowed to leave their books is when someone shows up without his book, he just goes and grabs a random one.

I suppose I should at least be glad they're showing up with books now, even if they aren't their own. It's been an uphill battle just getting everyone to show up with a book and a writing utensil.

Sigh. I miss the days when I didn't have to teach out of the textbook and I was just allowed to create and bring all of my own materials. The lessons were more interesting than the textbook garbage, and nothing ever hinged on students coming to class prepared.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5150 on: April 11, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
I was making copies of the worksheet I will be using in class later today, when the copy lady comes up to the printer, cancels my job, and photocopies one page for a student. Why couldn't she have just waited? It was nearly done, and it's not like they students were in some rush, they were on lunch break still. Not a big deal, but still. Harumph.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5151 on: April 11, 2017, 03:31:37 PM »
I was making copies of the worksheet I will be using in class later today, when the copy lady comes up to the printer, cancels my job, and photocopies one page for a student. Why couldn't she have just waited? It was nearly done, and it's not like they students were in some rush, they were on lunch break still. Not a big deal, but still. Harumph.

Oh, that would've really annoyed me.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5152 on: April 11, 2017, 03:49:42 PM »
고!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~~~~~~~
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #5153 on: April 11, 2017, 04:23:33 PM »
Last week I told my main co-teacher that I don't plan to re-sign my contract. This week, her attitude has done a complete 180 and she is making my work life miserable.

We've had a great relationship for 8 months; however as of last Friday she has been extremely critical of my teaching, my lesson plans, my tone of voice in the classroom. She has even criticized my English (not for legitimate reasons, but for not understanding her weird Korean use of the wrong English words). 

On Friday, she told me that "If you mess up the lesson on Monday, I will be very mad at you." I almost laughed out loud because I thought she was joking, but she was completely serious.

I understand the frustration that she will have to work with a new foreign teacher, but her attitude is bringing me down and ruining the atmosphere in the classes we teach together. At first I was a bit sad about not staying for another year, but now August can't come soon enough.

Pretty unprofessional and makes things difficult but don't care so much. Show up everyday and do what you have been doing. They're not gonna  fire you with 4 months to go. Above all, look forward to telling her to f$#$ off in August.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5154 on: April 11, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
I have a main school and two travel schools. Travel school A has their birthday next Tuesday, which is the day I teach there. The principal told me to stay home. When I informed my main school they said that on my travel schools birthdays' I have to go to the main school!  :cry:

I have since checked the birthday dates of my main school - I will be at a travel school that day.

Petty I know, but I don't get a school birthday day off. *sulks*
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5155 on: April 11, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
I was so close to shouting at a student. He's always asking for candy or demanding to watch a movie when he does absolutely nothing. I typically split my classes into 2 teams and they compete for the duration of a book chapter and last week his team had lost the lesson. So he stayed behind and proceeded to physically prevent me (several times) from cleaning the board so he could add points to his team (I had already made note of the scores)

Today he lingered once more and picked up my phone from the desk and said we should swap. I politely said no and took my phone back. Whilst I was cleaning up and about to throw rubbish out he tried to grab my phone from my back pocket. I almost lost my sh*t. Luckily I just said "야" and told him to leave.

Okay.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5156 on: April 11, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
I have a main school and two travel schools. Travel school A has their birthday next Tuesday, which is the day I teach there. The principal told me to stay home. When I informed my main school they said that on my travel schools birthdays' I have to go to the main school!  :cry:

I have since checked the birthday dates of my main school - I will be at a travel school that day.

What lesson was learned?

Keep your mouth shut and enjoy your holiday.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5157 on: April 11, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »

What lesson was learned?

Heheh, basically.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5158 on: April 11, 2017, 05:38:53 PM »

What lesson was learned?

Heheh, basically.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Will I never learn?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5159 on: April 11, 2017, 06:00:45 PM »
Melodica hasn't arrived yet.  I'm sure there's probably just a mundane delay but each day it doesn't show up the slightly sadder I get  :sad:

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment