September 21, 2017, 09:32:03 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485070 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5120 on: April 10, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
I hate to see students running around the halls in their socks.

These schools are completely filthy. Third graders running a broom over the steps for 10 minutes after lunch does nothing and the floors have obviously not been cleaned properly in years. There is dirt, sand from outside, food, wrappers etc covering the stairs and gathering in corners, yet they are running around shoeless between coming in from outside and arriving at their classrooms. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone can see these floors are dirty. Changing into school slippers doesn't save the place from needing a good cleaning, which it never gets... Yet everyone just ignores the fact that kids are running around in their socks on dirty floors because that's just how they've always done it.

So tired of rules being applied without any thought to logic or reason. I'm not saying get rid of tradition... Just adjust it so it makes some sense and people aren't running around spreading more filth!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5121 on: April 10, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »

It also bothers me when students play soccer/sports wearing slippers if not barefoot  :undecided: Surely nobody is surprised when someone hurts a foot.  When I was in P.E. class we were required to wear closed toed shoes or we got stuck walking laps the whole time. 

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5122 on: April 10, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »

These schools are completely filthy. Third graders running a broom over the steps for 10 minutes after lunch does nothing and the floors have obviously not been cleaned properly in years. There is dirt, sand from outside, food, wrappers etc covering the stairs and gathering in corners, yet they are running around shoeless between coming in from outside and arriving at their classrooms. It doesn't make any sense. Everyone can see these floors are dirty. Changing into school slippers doesn't save the place from needing a good cleaning, which it never gets... Yet everyone just ignores the fact that kids are running around in their socks on dirty floors because that's just how they've always done it.

So tired of rules being applied without any thought to logic or reason. I'm not saying get rid of tradition... Just adjust it so it makes some sense and people aren't running around spreading more filth!

Right? At one of my schools, the students and teachers have to walk across an outdoor area that is clearly dirty/sandy/no better than walking on a street sidewalk, but they don't change to their outside shoes. They just stay in the indoor slippers. Which boggles my mind because then it's like... well then what's the point of the slippers??

Meanwhile everything would be solved if the janitor just properly mopped every now and then, but y'know.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5123 on: April 10, 2017, 03:20:31 PM »

Right? At one of my schools, the students and teachers have to walk across an outdoor area that is clearly dirty/sandy/no better than walking on a street sidewalk, but they don't change to their outside shoes. They just stay in the indoor slippers. Which boggles my mind because then it's like... well then what's the point of the slippers??

Meanwhile everything would be solved if the janitor just properly mopped every now and then, but y'know.

The first time I had to walk through an outside area like that I hesitated because it totally defeats the purpose of having slippers.

But I'm wondering if anyone else had to have "indoor shoes" for elementary school in their home country. Growing up my schools always made us change our shoes and have designated "indoor shoes". Did no one else have to deal with that? People always complain about the slippers but I'm kind of used to it because that's almost what we did back home :/

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5124 on: April 10, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »

The first time I had to walk through an outside area like that I hesitated because it totally defeats the purpose of having slippers.

But I'm wondering if anyone else had to have "indoor shoes" for elementary school in their home country. Growing up my schools always made us change our shoes and have designated "indoor shoes". Did no one else have to deal with that? People always complain about the slippers but I'm kind of used to it because that's almost what we did back home :/

No I never had indoor shoes for school except for maybe kindergarten? Oh and when we'd wear boots during rainy or snowy days.

I'm definitely not opposed to having them change shoes, it's just that there are no other measures taken to make sure the indoor floors stay clean and safe for students to walk around in their socks (even though honestly the socks in a public area thing is kind of gross to me still).

Last year when going out to lunch we'd go in our slippers. It's not like there are separate slippers for the bathrooms either. There's basically no real logical reason to have kids walking around in their socks except for tradition... They could at least try at make it a little bit cleaner by having professional cleaners come in. Then again the telepathic waves I send to my CTs to get them to wash their hands with soap after they use the bathroom never work so I'm not holding my breath that people are going to realize "hey, this really isn't clean!" anytime soon.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5125 on: April 10, 2017, 04:19:41 PM »

We didn't do that where I grew up. I'm not used to it but I don't mind it too much? Except when someone else uses my slippers. Like. I wrote my name on both of them. And they're bright pink. And everyone knows I wear the bright pink slippers. And yet, every time I go to my Wednesday school, they aren't in the cabinet where I left them. The first time it happened, I had no idea where to look, and another teacher found them and brought them to me. The second time, I went with her because she went to check the same place she found them last time, and they were there--it was like, a small sort of broom closet that has a backdoor leading outside? So like... I think it's the janitor lady, who I'm friendly with, but that doesn't mean I want her taking my shoes and leaving them wherever she pleases... Ughhhh.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5126 on: April 10, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5127 on: April 10, 2017, 05:11:06 PM »

lol it's so bad at my main school, I stopped changing into my slippers each day and nobody's even said anything, if they've noticed. Them slippers are DIRTY.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5128 on: April 10, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
I should have left when my last contract ended. I made a mistake staying.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online keldule

• Explorer
  • Mostly lurking
« Reply #5129 on: April 10, 2017, 05:41:47 PM »
Maybe it's a Southern Ontario thing. Or a 90s thing. We always had to change shoes and if we were a portable class we'd wear our inside shoes from the portable, to the gym in the main school and back. They had to have white bottoms to them too so that when we used them for gym we wouldn't get black scuff marks all over the floor. I just wore black bottomed shows anyways to get out of gym class cuz I was a jerk.

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5130 on: April 10, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »

I had to have indoor shoes in elementary, but that stopped when we went to junior high/ middle and high school.

My middle school here is filthy. Bunch of unsanitary middle school boys that have to "clean" the school for 10 minutes a day.

It's only character building if they don't half ass it, guys. Just hire a janitor already. -_-

You're just bitter that you got a talking to over wearing your usual shoes to class ;)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5131 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »

This is what I'm worried about if I decide to renew...

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5132 on: April 10, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »

This is what I'm worried about if I decide to renew...

Listen to some Lil B and you'll feel better. The Based God will guide you.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5133 on: April 10, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »

Most of my schools have hired janitors to clean the bathrooms, and they generally don't do a much better job of it than the students do with the halls and classes.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5134 on: April 10, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »
I've never been in a truly well-kept or clean school. The only thing that really varies is "bad" or "worse".

They always use dirty mops to clean the floors, too, so it always smells bad for about an hour right after.

Floors are not supposed to be dirtier after you've mopped them. xD

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5135 on: April 10, 2017, 06:26:53 PM »

Most of my schools have hired janitors to clean the bathrooms, and they generally don't do a much better job of it than the students do with the halls and classes.
Same here.

They hired some feeble old lady and she doesn't do much, as the bathrooms are always filthy.

To be fair, she doesn't have any proper cleaning supplies and she is only one person.

Anyone know why 30% of school surfaces are windows, yet nobody ever cleans them?

Is it bad luck or something ;)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5136 on: April 10, 2017, 06:28:31 PM »
I've never been in a truly well-kept or clean school. The only thing that really varies is "bad" or "worse".

They always use dirty mops to clean the floors, too, so it always smells bad for about an hour right after.

There are a lot of genuinely well-educated and intelligent people (I know those two don't always correlate, so I italicized 'and' so that people don't get it twisted) working in these schools.

How does nobody get the fact that those mops aren't lifting the dirt anywhere. They're not being dunked in buckets and having fresh water used to clean the floors. They're literally just pushing the dirt around a little bit. And a vacuum cleaner that has zero suction because it's never been cleaned because nobody knows how to open it where it says to open it and shake the filter out once every month or so doesn't have any utility or function when you're turning it on and just pushing it around on the ground because it isn't sucking up dirt oh my god.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY!??!?!?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5137 on: April 10, 2017, 06:59:39 PM »

There are a lot of genuinely well-educated and intelligent people (I know those two don't always correlate, so I italicized 'and' so that people don't get it twisted) working in these schools.

How does nobody get the fact that those mops aren't lifting the dirt anywhere. They're not being dunked in buckets and having fresh water used to clean the floors. They're literally just pushing the dirt around a little bit. And a vacuum cleaner that has zero suction because it's never been cleaned because nobody knows how to open it where it says to open it and shake the filter out once every month or so doesn't have any utility or function when you're turning it on and just pushing it around on the ground because it isn't sucking up dirt oh my god.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY!??!?!?

Like most things here, I suspect it's not about the results but rather the act of going through the motions.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5138 on: April 10, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
Ding ding ding!!!  Give the lady a prize :)

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5139 on: April 11, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
Really wanted to stay in public school. Really wanted to transfer. Got an email back saying apparently they don't do that and I'll have to reapply from scratch.

I'm seriously considering just working at a hagwon, even tho I was really skittish about the idea in the past.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment