November 19, 2017, 08:24:09 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564607 times)

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5100 on: April 14, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
I think it has to do with class hours.  Students have to be in school for a certain amount of time to graduate, even if they do naff all in their tests.  I had one student who started my middle school years back, then his stupid dad decided that he should home school him.  Because he missed so many days he couldn't continue in the grade he should be in, so ended up being joining the year below.

Interesting -- I suppose the certain amount of time a student spends in school during the school year thing makes sense (I remember my elementary/middle/high schools back in my home country had a similar policy, and someone in my grade got left back as a result of missing too many days of school).

And interesting about the home schooling thing...I guess the time he spent being home schooled didn't count when he re-joined public school, then.
I remember a student back home (U.S.) whose parents took her out to homeschool her.  Unfortunately, they did not follow the proper procedures as far as withdrawing her, informing the school district, etc.  All her missed days were counted as unexcused, and when her parents (for whatever reason) put her back in public school she had to repeat a grade. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5101 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »
I swear to bird that my allergies are 100x worse this year than they were in previous years combined. The skin around my eyes hurt to the touch, and allergy meds don't really suppress the symptoms very much these days.

I've never done this before, but I'm seriously considering getting an allergy shot.

****** pine trees and pollution.

I feel ya! My head feels like it is going to explode and my eyes pretty much water non-stop. today the airvisual reading here is 134.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Online StillInKorea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5102 on: April 14, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
Guy who gives me rides: Makes me wait for 5-20 minutes on a regular basis in the afternoons
Has made me wait 15-20 minutes in the cold/rain several times
His reason is "I have to shut all the doors/windows before I leave" (meanwhile I'm thinking: so... start at 4:50...?)
Never there in the morning right when he says he'll be (7:40)
Arrived at 7:45 yesterday

Me: Has unexpectedly dark circles, puts on full face in an attempt to look human, is 4 minutes late getting out to his car, it's the first time ever running a little late

Guy: "Tomorrow, please come out at 7:40. I waited a lot for you."

...Yeah ok.

inb4 "How dare you complain when he's giving you rides"... pls.

I don't think anyone will say you shouldn't complain about his crappy attitude.

People with travel schools really should look at buying a car though. Korean cars are pretty reliable and a 2 or 3 million won vehicle should run just fine without needing constant repairs.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5103 on: April 14, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »
I think it has to do with class hours.  Students have to be in school for a certain amount of time to graduate, even if they do naff all in their tests.  I had one student who started my middle school years back, then his stupid dad decided that he should home school him.  Because he missed so many days he couldn't continue in the grade he should be in, so ended up being joining the year below.

Interesting -- I suppose the certain amount of time a student spends in school during the school year thing makes sense (I remember my elementary/middle/high schools back in my home country had a similar policy, and someone in my grade got left back as a result of missing too many days of school).

And interesting about the home schooling thing...I guess the time he spent being home schooled didn't count when he re-joined public school, then.

I think it fits in perfectly with the Korean idea that the longer you spend at doing something, should probably mean that you actually did something meaningful.  When in actuality we know that isn't the case.  Don't bother with the actual thing of checking scores and holding students back for that reason, but hold them back for not actually showing their face in school. 

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5104 on: April 14, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »
I swear to bird that my allergies are 100x worse this year than they were in previous years combined. The skin around my eyes hurt to the touch, and allergy meds don't really suppress the symptoms very much these days.

I've never done this before, but I'm seriously considering getting an allergy shot.

Same here.

This is the worst I have had it in 20+ years

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5105 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:02 AM »
Isn't it SOP to always arrive before your ride, so he/she doesn't have to wait?

How much are you paying for gas, etc.?

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #5106 on: April 14, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »

Same here.

Started kickin my ass yesterday. Time to go to the doctor where they can give you a 5 day prescription for seasonal allergies.  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5107 on: April 14, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »

Same here.

I don't really get allergies, but this is the first year I've really noticed the siht atmosphere from day to day.  There was always the issue with the spring yellow dust from the Gobi, but that has been declining for years.  But the general micro dust is just stupid, awful rubbish this year.  It is just so limiting.

Online Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5108 on: April 14, 2017, 08:23:49 AM »

Same here.

I don't really get allergies, but this is the first year I've really noticed the siht atmosphere from day to day.  There was always the issue with the spring yellow dust from the Gobi, but that has been declining for years.  But the general micro dust is just stupid, awful rubbish this year.  It is just so limiting.

I'm just curious, no offense intended.
Would you gents happen to be on the portlier side?
It seems that a fair amount of us suffering from allergies, asthma and related conditions during the fine dust season tend to be carrying a few extra kilos.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5109 on: April 14, 2017, 08:25:59 AM »

Same here.

It seems that a fair amount of us suffering from allergies, asthma and related conditions during the fine dust season tend to be carrying a few extra kilos.
Oh, does it really?I have a few extra kilos, but I have never really suffered from allergies or the dust.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5110 on: April 14, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »

Same here.

Nope, I'm about 85 kilos and about 184cms, and generally in very good condition.  Normally, I'd go hiking about 4 times a week, but with the stupid dust, it's been twice in the last three weeks.   :cry:  My apartment complex has a gym but I much prefer hiking.  I don't really get sick either, maybe a cold every two years.   :azn: My co-teacher is already on her fourth of the year.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5111 on: April 14, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »
Guy who gives me rides: Makes me wait for 5-20 minutes on a regular basis in the afternoons
His reason is "I have to shut all the doors/windows before I leave" (meanwhile I'm thinking: so... start at 4:50...?)

Me: Has unexpectedly dark circles, puts on full face in an attempt to look human, is 4 minutes late getting out to his car, it's the first time ever running a little late

...Yeah ok.

People with travel schools really should look at buying a car though. Korean cars are pretty reliable and a 2 or 3 million won vehicle should run just fine without needing constant repairs.

Not complaining....it sucks to wait. I also have to do it at my travel schools.

but why not help him close all the windows? Then you'll both be out faster.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5112 on: April 14, 2017, 08:43:49 AM »
I'm getting sick. I'm not sick yet, but it's coming. I can feeeeeeeeeeeel it.
You know, that feeling where your body's like "Are you ready for this? I don't think you're ready for this."

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5113 on: April 14, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »

...Yeah ok.

Not complaining....it sucks to wait. I also have to do it at my travel schools.

but why not help him close all the windows? Then you'll both be out faster.

I used to get a ride years ago to my countryside middle school with the maths teacher in her purple matiz.  One time, I was waiting for her and a purple matiz pulled up next to me and I opened the door and jumped in.  The driver screamed and I jumped out apologetically.  Not the maths teacher.  She came about 10 seconds later.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5114 on: April 14, 2017, 08:45:35 AM »
I'm getting sick. I'm not sick yet, but it's coming. I can feeeeeeeeeeeel it.
You know, that feeling where your body's like "Are you ready for this? I don't think you're ready for this."

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The worst. Literally buy some ginger and chew it. Unironically. And drink so much tea.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5115 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56:16 AM »
I used to get a ride years ago to my countryside middle school with the maths teacher in her purple matiz.  One time, I was waiting for her and a purple matiz pulled up next to me and I opened the door and jumped in.  The driver screamed and I jumped out apologetically.  Not the maths teacher.  She came about 10 seconds later.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5116 on: April 14, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »

No, I'm fit and at a healthy weight.

Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system to a (normally) foreign substance in the body. This is why you can take a person who normally doesn't suffer from allergies, give them a bone marrow transplant (like in the case with blood cancer patients), and they'll suddenly be allergic to, say, bananas if the marrow donation came from a person with that allergy. As such, you can inherit allergies from your parents.

I'm allergic to cats and certain types of pollen. So is my mom (although her reactions are more severe than mine), who is probably a little underweight, but not to a point that she's unhealthy.

Any correlation to excess weight being a cause of allergies or allergies being a direct cause of weight-gain is just a coincidence, although it can be argued that people with asthma or allergies that are severe enough may not be as physically active as they should be during certain seasons (thereby accounting for weight-gain in some). In other words, it's not excess weight that causes allergies or allergies directly causing weight-gain, but habits when dealing with allergies may contribute to weight-gain in some.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:00:16 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5117 on: April 14, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »
All my classes are cancelled today.

And I'm being super unproductive. I'm the worst.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5118 on: April 14, 2017, 09:19:43 AM »
All my classes are cancelled today.

And I'm being super unproductive. I'm the worst.

You're not alone.  8)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5119 on: April 14, 2017, 09:48:14 AM »
Two of my classes were canceled today, which leaves me with the entire morning to do whatever.

I made a poster. That was enough to secure my sense of accomplishment for today.