September 25, 2017, 08:15:56 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 489469 times)

Offline Skyehawks

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5080 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
I partially ruptured the ligaments in my ankle this week during warm ups for staff volleyball. Today I am wearing a splint that is uncomfortable as heck, on pain and swelling meds.

Today's goal do my class while sitting down as the important people know I have to wear the splint.

What happens. I have to get up and go into discipline mode.

By my last class I was like please please please do not make me stand up! I am not even supposed to be walking much on this foot.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5081 on: April 07, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »
I know it's bad to rant about the ability of our students but I don't know how much more dumbing down of my classes I can do.

I'm literally down to phrases like "He is tall" and even that's too much for them.

I've mentioned it before but it blows my mind how they can happily work through a textbook with the most convoluted, long sentences and paragraphs in their classes with the KET, then come to my class and struggle with "She has short hair".

This is high school  :sad:
I have the same issue with some kids in my high school. One student couldn't even understand "Go." Just go. It can be quite baffling.

Offline vanlianjoseph@gmail.com

• Explorer
« Reply #5082 on: April 07, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »
Why is it that, if they are teaching at a secondary school Korean teachers are allowed to go to the main school when they finish but us foreign teachers are not??

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5083 on: April 07, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
Why is it that, if they are teaching at a secondary school Korean teachers are allowed to go to the main school when they finish but us foreign teachers are not??

Because you are their prized possession. They have control of you for so many days a week and they intend to get their money's worth. Like today, there was a safety and health demonstration all morning. I was trotted over to the gym to stand around so that I could appear in the background of promotional pictures for my school. Love it.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5084 on: April 07, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »

i teach at one other school, and after lunch i'm allowed to go back to my main school.

Offline vanlianjoseph@gmail.com

• Explorer
« Reply #5085 on: April 07, 2017, 04:56:55 PM »

Because you are their prized possession. They have control of you for so many days a week and they intend to get their money's worth. Like today, there was a safety and health demonstration all morning. I was trotted over to the gym to stand around so that I could appear in the background of promotional pictures for my school. Love it.

I was told I am not on that school's payroll my main school bears full financial responsibility of me. This it is a double standard oh the Korean teachers can go home or to their main school but the foreign teacher can't?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:20:18 PM by vanlianjoseph@gmail.com »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5086 on: April 07, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »

I think it depends on your school.  Some may be lenient and allow you to go back after classes.  Others will not.  Stricter schools may be concerned about insurance issues should you die en route though I don't know why there's no concern for the Korean travel teachers then. 

If your requests in NEIS for a travel school are for a full day though, then you are technically supposed to be at said travel school for the requested time period.  It is entirely possible the Korean teachers only request a certain time frame to be at the travel school.  Some teachers even work more than one school in a day. 

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5087 on: April 07, 2017, 05:08:25 PM »
Not sure If I understand the OP on this issue, but when I used to go to my travel school on Fridays (not my main school), I would finish at 1:50 in the afternoon.

Did I stick around?  No. I would bounce.

Usually, I would go back to my main school to tidy up and finish prepping for Monday, but there were other times, when I would simply go home or get a head start on my weekend.

Are they saying you need to stay at your travel school?

That is nuts.

Teach your classes and go.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #5088 on: April 07, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »
I know it's bad to rant about the ability of our students but I don't know how much more dumbing down of my classes I can do.

I'm literally down to phrases like "He is tall" and even that's too much for them.

I've mentioned it before but it blows my mind how they can happily work through a textbook with the most convoluted, long sentences and paragraphs in their classes with the KET, then come to my class and struggle with "She has short hair".

This is high school  :sad:

I remember I had a very low-level 3rd year middle school boy at my ex-hagwon who never understood (and could never remember) "How are you?" and his classmates always had to translate it for him every single class...

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5089 on: April 07, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
Not sure If I understand the OP on this issue, but when I used to go to my travel school on Fridays (not my main school), I would finish at 1:50 in the afternoon.

Usually, I would go back to my main school to tidy up and finish prepping for Monday, but there were other times, when I would simply go home or get a head start on my weekend.

That is nuts.

I can't leave my satellite schools til day's end. Today, for example, I'm here til 5:20 because clock off is 4:40, but the bus home is hourly, 20 after.

I'm provincial, though.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5090 on: April 07, 2017, 05:47:35 PM »
When did the schools in the provinces start being so ridiculously punitive towards their foreigner staff?

It sounds like things have really turned for the worse out there.

I mean, if the bus is hourly, you should be allowed to catch the earlier one, if not simply leave after your classes are done.

What is the purpose or benefit in them being so silly?

When one wants the best of others, being reasonable is a pretty good start, no?

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5091 on: April 07, 2017, 05:55:27 PM »
I know my province really cracked down on teachers staying until 4:30. EPIK teachers are suppoooooooosed to be in school for 8 hours a day. Some schools don't care/know. But its generally not something you go bragging about because not everyone's really your friend and can rat on you if they're jealous. That's why people complain about deskwarming.

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #5092 on: April 07, 2017, 05:56:09 PM »

So I was talking to my district coorodinator the other day and this topic came up.  According to him, once you finish teaching classes at your travel school you're supposed to go back to your main school.  I think that's the "official line", but it's not like anyone pays attention to the official line here. 
 It all depends on what arrangement your schools have agreed upon. For example, my travel school's VP is quite adamant that I show up 2 days a week.  Regardless of whether I have classes or not.
I also think they have us stay the whole day to avoid any confusion with NEIS or different start times etc.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5093 on: April 07, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »

That is nuts.

I can't leave my satellite schools til day's end. Today, for example, I'm here til 5:20 because clock off is 4:40, but the bus home is hourly, 20 after.

I'm provincial, though.

at least you get paid an hour of non-teaching overtime every time you are at that school then  ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:04:17 PM by kobayashi »

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5094 on: April 07, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »
Well, I understand the 8 hours a day, official line, but I think the plot has been lost along the way.

We are compensated for the stress and hassle of having to travel to rural schools, but the P and VP have the discretionary power to allow their foreigner to return to their main school or to simply leave the school at a time that will allow their foreigner to catch the hourly bus at a "reasonable" time (it costs them NOTHING).

When you have things better than others, you need to keep your mouth shut (hopefully all know that).

If my P or VP were treating me poorly, I don't know...

It would make me feel like they were NOT interested in getting the "best" out of me ;)

Considering all of the cuts that have been made and the reductions, etc. one would think they would seek to utilize these free perks to retain people that they would like to keep around.

Is this an obvious sign that they do NOT want you?

Ugh.

Enjoy your weekend all!  Sun is out and air is in the green level :)

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5095 on: April 07, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »
Who knows, but it does mean I'm that much less motivated both at the school and to get out of town immediately afterward.

Which, right now, is completely eating me alive in terms of feeling isolated.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:44:32 PM by gprinziv »

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5096 on: April 10, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
Who knows, but it does mean I'm that much less motivated both at the school and to get out of town immediately afterward.

Which, right now, is completely eating me alive in terms of feeling isolated.

Clicked on your profile and it says you are living in Sangju right? One of my friends lived there for 2 years and she said it was the best time ever, there were a few foreign teachers but mostly they hung around with the young Korean population who spoke surprisingly good English. I know at the time she said she really had to put herself out there in order to meet people but once she did she had a great time.

I know this isn't great advice but I guess you have to really really make an effort to meet people there. I hope it gets better and this gives you a little hope!

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5097 on: April 10, 2017, 11:04:34 AM »
The hallways have gone deathly quiet. I had a class due to start one minute ago... yet again it is clear that the waygookin has been left out of the loop. I want to be thrilled, however I know that this will just mean the first period, and then it will be back to grind, and one of my grade 5 classes will be a lesson ahead of the other. Three years here and still haven't come to terms with Korean surprises.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5098 on: April 10, 2017, 11:09:16 AM »
The hallways have gone deathly quiet. I had a class due to start one minute ago... yet again it is clear that the waygookin has been left out of the loop. I want to be thrilled, however I know that this will just mean the first period, and then it will be back to grind, and one of my grade 5 classes will be a lesson ahead of the other. Three years here and still haven't come to terms with Korean surprises.

I got tired of stuff like that, too, so I started reading all the messages sent on the school messenger system, and then surprises became much less frequent. Rarely a surprise staff dinner or anything again.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #5099 on: April 10, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
Can North Korea cool it? The second last thing I need is a devalued won.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment