October 19, 2017, 03:36:39 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521483 times)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5040 on: April 06, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
The Illness that's had kids dropping like flies has finally gotten to me, despite my best efforts. No one is at school today because of a field trip so I thought: this means I can sneak out and go back to my jammie jams.

And, as if to suggest we're telepathically linked, my principal comes in right at the moment I'm debating how many of my things to leave behind as to give the impression that I'm still there and invites me out to lunch with him and his wife. Super wonderful guy. But...my jammie jams.  :cry:

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5041 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
I got told I have to do an afterschool class for my last 2 - 3 weeks :(
However, it got me out of the illegal kindergarten class my travel school was trying to get me to do, but they are still trying to get me to do the class >.<

Me: My main school wants me to go back to doing afterschool classes, so I need my non-class time to prepare for it.
Co-T: I don't believe you *calls my main school*
Co-T: Okay.. you have afterschool classes, but I still think you should do the kindergarten class... it's not fair on the kindergarten teacher if you don't go...
Me: So you're saying, that I should do an illegal kindergarten class instead of preparing for one of my contracted classes???
Co-T: Yes.
Me: Sorry, I'm not going to do that. If there is a replacement teacher, they won't be able to do that either.
Co-T: .... *walks away*
Co-T: *comes an interupts my next class* "I still think you should go to kindergarten tomorrow...*

(The co-teachers English was lower than I wrote, but I said what he meant).

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5042 on: April 06, 2017, 01:17:52 PM »
it's not fair on the kindergarten teacher if you don't go...

translation: the kindergarten teacher wants an extra free period, and the dancing english monkey must provide!  ;D

i would strongly encourage you to contact your MOE/POE about this. they are just gonna try pull the same shit with your replacement unless the MOE/POE puts them in their place.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5043 on: April 06, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »

translation: the kindergarten teacher wants an extra free period, and the dancing english monkey must provide!  ;D

i would strongly encourage you to contact your MOE/POE about this. they are just gonna try pull the same shit with your replacement unless the MOE/POE puts them in their place.

I don't know the difference between the MOE / POE, however, the only guy who speaks English at mine stopped taking / blocked my calls and emails once I started asking about renewing / getting transferred. :\

However, the new teacher - if there is one (I still don't know if my job got cut or not, every week I get given a new reason why I wasn't able to renew / get transferred) shouldn't have time to do it anyway. They'll need that spare time to prepare for the afterschool class. It usually takes me Monday - Wednesday to prepare for my normal classes (I get a lot of free time on Wednesday's, on Thursday, I get about 2.5 hours of free time, however, the school only has 3 computers to use between all the staff members, so I can only use an hour of that time for prep. Friday, which is when they want the kindergarten class, has lunchtime - until end of the day available to prep).

I'll probably leave it in my note to tell the MOE / POE if they get asked, if there is a replacement. A lot of schools in my area lost students this year, so I'm not sure if they are cutting a NET, just want a fresh new body that doesn't know how the Korean school system works - to try get more out of them, or if I generally didn't do a good enough job - however, I worked hard and wasn't told anything if I wasn't doing well enough. :\
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 03:18:23 PM by Kayos »

Offline HiddenPerson

• Adventurer
« Reply #5044 on: April 06, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »
I am at my the of my rope. I have been working in the ESL field for 5 years and I've never experienced this type of work stress in my life. I am working at an after school company and I have ****** monsters as children. Whenever I try to do any sort of discipline, the co-teacher that works with me instantly tries to stop it by saying they are only children and they don't know better. Of course they know better. Children in grade 3 and 4 shouldn't be making animal noises. Children in grade 1 know they shouldn't hit each other. I can't even argue with my co-worker in class since she doesn't speak English and I am not allowed to speak Korean in the classroom. Every time I bring this up with her out of class, she insists that they really don't know better. It's been a long time since I was in elementary school in America, but I don't remember anyone acting like this.

It's just so god damn frustrating. Additionally, the classes are supposed to be fun, but I was told to not give homework while simultaneously being told that the book we are studying should be finished to completion. So they want a fun class where a difficult textbook must be finished to completion within 3 months while not being allowed to give any homework.

I know I repeated myself here a bit, but I am just stressed as hell.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5045 on: April 06, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »
I have no classes today. So here I am in my office (which is attached to my English classroom) nice and cosy with my fever and chills but grateful for the break.

Apparently they need my classroom for something. Which I don't mind at all ... except...

The teacher walks in opens all the windows, opens my office door and the wind is blowing straight into my office. I get up to go to the loo. Closing my office door behind me. i get back and it is open. I enter my office and close the door behind me, and a few minutes later the teacher opens it again and smiles at me. I have just closed it again and I swear that if this teacher opens it again, I will lose my shit!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #5046 on: April 06, 2017, 03:15:59 PM »
I will get an official warning if I whistle in class again.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #5047 on: April 06, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
Japchae sauce stains on my shirt. I'm so upset at myself for not being more careful.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5048 on: April 06, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »

I don't know the difference between the MOE / POE, however, the only guy who speaks English at mine stopped taking / blocked my calls and emails once I started asking about renewing / getting transferred. :\

However, the new teacher - if there is one (I still don't know if my job got cut or not, every week I get given a new reason why I wasn't able to renew / get transferred) shouldn't have time to do it anyway. They'll need that spare time to prepare for the afterschool class. It usually takes me Monday - Wednesday to prepare for my normal classes (I get a lot of free time on Wednesday's, on Thursday, I get about 2.5 hours of free time, however, the school only has 3 computers to use between all the staff members, so I can only use an hour of that time for prep. Friday, which is when they want the kindergarten class, has lunchtime - until end of the day available to prep).

I'll probably leave it in my note to tell the MOE / POE if they get asked, if there is a replacement. A lot of schools in my area lost students this year, so I'm not sure if they are cutting a NET, just want a fresh new body that doesn't know how the Korean school system works - to try get more out of them, or if I generally didn't do a good enough job - however, I worked hard and wasn't anything if I wasn't doing well enough. :\

MOE = Metropolitan Office of Education - these are what the offices of education are called in the major metropolitan cities (Daegu, Busan, Daejeon, etc.)

POE = Provincial Office of Education. Same as above except for the provinces.

they are the same thing, the name is just different depending on whether you live in a major metropolitan city or province.

It was wholly unprofessional for that guy to stop taking your calls. I would actually contact EPIK about it.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5049 on: April 06, 2017, 03:19:09 PM »

One of my principals once asked my CoT to tell me to stop whistling in the halls, because it's "inappropriate in school." My CoT assured me that Koreans think whistling is very rude. None of the other Koreans I've talked to about it since then knew wtf they were talking about, but oh well. I stopped doing it at that school.

I'm a whistler, though, so I do it and have done it at all my other schools  :laugh: :laugh:. I'm reasonably good at it, too, so some of my students think it's neat.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5050 on: April 06, 2017, 03:29:00 PM »

One of my principals once asked my CoT to tell me to stop whistling in the halls, because it's "inappropriate in school." My CoT assured me that Koreans think whistling is very rude. None of the other Koreans I've talked to about it since then knew wtf they were talking about, but oh well. I stopped doing it at that school.

I'm a whistler, though, so I do it and have done it at all my other schools  :laugh: :laugh:. I'm reasonably good at it, too, so some of my students think it's neat.

I don't even realise I'm doing it. My grandma just.................... does it. My Co-T thought I was slighting her, because she's asked me to stop a couple of times. I have no idea I'm doing it. I'm trying to be more conscious of it now.

The best part is, she was kind of laying into me yesterday about it and how the VP knows now, and she said, QUOTE.

"You've been dating (EX-GF NAME HERE) a long time and I thought she would have told you about Korean culture and what to do and not to do..........."

Cue the waterworks...............  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

"We broke up last week. (EXPLAIN VAGUE DETAILS HERE)"

Oh...................  :huh:

She was much nicer to me for the rest of her rant about my whistling and clothing choices.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5051 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »

I don't even realise I'm doing it. My grandma just.................... does it. My Co-T thought I was slighting her, because she's asked me to stop a couple of times. I have no idea I'm doing it. I'm trying to be more conscious of it now.

The best part is, she was kind of laying into me yesterday about it and how the VP knows now, and she said, QUOTE.

"You've been dating (EX-GF NAME HERE) a long time and I thought she would have told you about Korean culture and what to do and not to do..........."

She was much nicer to me for the rest of her rant about my whistling and clothing choices.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH

This is really weird. I've been here for a reasonably long time and have never had anyone say anything about my whistling. No coworker or dating partner has ever mentioned it. I mean, I can see how it can come across as unprofessional, I guess? But. Yeah. Nobody's ever told me to stop. And I whistle all the time.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5052 on: April 06, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
I don't quite follow...

How/why are you whistling?

Are you whistling a harmless tune or are you whistling to get the attention of other teachers/students?

I whistle softly on my way to and from school sometimes, but I never whistle to get someone's attention or while walking the halls, especially if classes are being held (no sound proofing).

Are you saying that you whistle during your class?

I don't quite follow that, but surely you can see how/why that is completely inappropriate and a distraction to your students, not to mention modeling "harmful" behavior.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5053 on: April 06, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
I don't quite follow...

Are you whistling a harmless tune or are you whistling to get the attention of other teachers/students?

I whistle softly on my way to and from school sometimes, but I never whistle to get someone's attention or while walking the halls, especially if classes are being held (no sound proofing).

I don't quite follow that, but surely you can see how/why that is completely inappropriate and a distraction to your students, not to mention modeling "harmful" behavior.

In class I'll whistle along to the song at the beginning of class. Sometimes after class I'll just whistle a tune under my breath.

I never whistle at the students, no way. And no wolf whistles. ahaha

Your harmful is in quotations because you think it's BS? haha

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5054 on: April 06, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
I don't quite follow...

Waygook.org user Pecan, I can't speak for Waygook.org user CO2, but I know when I whistle it's either random tuneless whistling when I'm walking between classes (not a distraction to people studying because the hallways are already crowded and noisy), or whistling along to the tune of whatever song or chant is in the current lesson.

I can't imagine someone whistling to get someone's attention. That's not polite.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #5055 on: April 06, 2017, 04:12:44 PM »
Does anyone remember people saying, "Please understand, this is our culture" over minor things back where they came from?

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5056 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:04 PM »

I'll probably leave it in my note to tell the MOE / POE if they get asked, if there is a replacement. A lot of schools in my area lost students this year, so I'm not sure if they are cutting a NET, just want a fresh new body that doesn't know how the Korean school system works - to try get more out of them, or if I generally didn't do a good enough job - however, I worked hard and wasn't anything if I wasn't doing well enough. :\

MOE = Metropolitan Office of Education - these are what the offices of education are called in the major metropolitan cities (Daegu, Busan, Daejeon, etc.)

POE = Provincial Office of Education. Same as above except for the provinces.

they are the same thing, the name is just different depending on whether you live in a major metropolitan city or province.

It was wholly unprofessional for that guy to stop taking your calls. I would actually contact EPIK about it.

Ahh, so for me, it would be POE - there are no more english speakers left in my MOE (They got rid of the last Korean worker that had even a little English ability just before the end of the school year). (I'm not in a big city like Daegu, Busan, Seoul, Etc. - but my town does have an office of education, and I'm considering it as an MOE, though I'm not sure if it would come under that).

The guy who stopped taking my calls / emails, is actually the guy I would need to report that too. Unless I go higher than him, but then I'd need one of my co-teachers, as people above him don't speak English :( I think he is higher up than my MOE. He's at the POE and does the hiring among other jobs.

I'm not sure how I would go about doing that too. It's not something I could really do after work, and I think they are closed on the weekends. :\
I think talking to my co-teacher at my main school about it, is about the most I could do, but I'm not sure if he would do anything.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:26:59 PM by Kayos »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5057 on: April 06, 2017, 04:14:49 PM »
I definitely don't whistle to get people's attention, or over the teacher when she's talking. I just do it in the halls when I'm walking around.  Not random whistling, either. I like to whistle actual songs. I can't even help myself, haha.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5058 on: April 06, 2017, 04:18:19 PM »
I used to drive my coworkers nuts with humming. Apparently I hum the stock Samsung-phone alarm tune over and over and over when I'm cranking out powerpoint lessons in the office.

Luckily I now work at several different schools so I'm not around anybody long enough to really irritate them.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:20:03 PM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5059 on: April 06, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH

I thought you were joking about getting a warning for whistling.  Wtf?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment