July 20, 2018, 05:33:03 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1040955 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #5000 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:20 PM »
I can't seem to work up the motivation to read through what's been posted since the last time I looked. I'm sure I'll be missing some fun as a result, but I'm just too lazy today.

My rant: I make all of my own materials with the exception of some ppt games I download from here from time to time.

But I've realized today that some of the teachers here think that I don't do anything BECAUSE of the ppt games I sometimes use. The way they see it, if I'm not the one making ALL of the materials that I use for every single goddamn class, then I'm clearly not doing much of anything.

The fact that everything but the occassional bomb game was made by me seems to escape them (seriously, about 98% of the stuff I use is original material created by me). And even if I didn't, most of the stuff that I could and would use from here still requires a lot of prep and editing.

SO OF COURSE NOW IMMA HAVE TO MAKE A FEW BOMB GAMES JUST TO SHUT THOSE GANGLY CUNTS UP (thx Penny)

I don't like making bomb games from scratch because decent ones take up so much time to slap together.

I might cheat a little and use someone else's bomb game as a template and just add slides / change out files, though. sunuvabitch
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:27:12 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #5001 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
It would have been EXACTLY THE SAME AS ALWAYS, since human genetic lifespan has not changed. Looking at life expectancy as a proxy for health is moronic, every noob suggests doing it, because it is the first thing that jumps into their brain.

Mostly because there are loads and loads of stats to draw from, while there aren't too many general health surveys out there.

As for folk from the palaeolithic era being healthier... actually I feel that that's a no brainer. Of course they were 'healthier'.

Lack of hygiene and medicine would cause most individuals to die pretty quick from minor infections and illnesses. They didn't linger, and would spend far less time in a state of unhealthiness before kicking the not-yet-invented-bucket. Not to mention that resource scarcity, predation, and intense competition would quickly weed out the less than fit.

Also, as humans tended to be fairly scattered, and there was no animal husbandry, major diseases did not have the opportunity to develop and spread (most human adapted viral endemics were originally viruses that pathogenized other species).

Still, healthy or not, I would much rather be alive now than any previous time in human history.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:23:43 PM by kyndo »

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5002 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5003 on: April 19, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
What I do is analysis.
What are you analyzing?

Evolutionary biology / anthropology.

That's because health is a more or less undefined parameter defined by the individual using it.

It is quantifiable, and the metics do not include life span. It's not "all subjective", that's just what religious cult people say.  :azn:

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5004 on: April 19, 2017, 12:32:45 PM »
Going to stick up for peeks because I feel like he might just be really awkward. It looks like just
a misunderstanding. Calm down people  :laugh:

Barring a death, sickness, huge problems at home or something else justified - we should be able to maintain a professional face and polite/pleasant attitude or as we Brits say "Stiff upper lip"

I think in this case the OP was talking about the difference between being professional/normal and having to be super happy which is a bit different.

Yeah. Waygook.org user Pecan is correct in saying you should always have at least the facade of friendly, professional and ready to work, otherwise you should've just stayed home. Nobody's really debating that, though. Waygook.org user Pecan just missed the mark by conflating that base line of professional conduct with the 'Oh my gawwwwwwwwww it's ENGLISH TIME KIDS WOOOOOOOOOOO!' that is expected from many of us to be our default classroom persona.

On those days when I'm feeling down enough to not warrant being a perfect ray of sunshine, but good enough to teach, is: I tell my co-teachers I'm feeling just a little sick. e.g. My throat is a little sore, so I can't be super loud and energetic as usual in today's lessons. My co-teachers will usually just tell the students I'm feeling sick, and they will be quiet enough for me to speak without being too loud.
I'm still professional in all other aspects of the job.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #5005 on: April 19, 2017, 12:35:02 PM »
My rant.

**** YOU THERESA MAY. You gangly C**t.

Rant break: I love that in Britain that's not the mother of all terrible, misogynist words, and is used regardless of gender.

Did you have to call her gangly though? :sad:

Rant on.

She's a spineless wanker, who is making British people choose between her horrible party of twats and Corbyn and his unpopular band of bellends.  The only thing more broken than British politics is American politics and that ultimate, huge fcukwit Trump. 

Trigger Brexit and then call an election, you cnuts!  Surely the Lib Dems and Greens will be on a Bremain ticket?

After 14 years out fo the country this is the last election......that my mum can use my proxy vote.

If May is truly spineless then you can forgive her gangliness.

Trump, in American parlance, is a yuge dick.

And till now I didn't think you could call a woman a wanker. Has it been democratized? (perhaps by way of referendum?) :cheesy:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5006 on: April 19, 2017, 12:46:08 PM »
My rant.

**** YOU THERESA MAY. You gangly C**t.

Rant break: I love that in Britain that's not the mother of all terrible, misogynist words, and is used regardless of gender.

Did you have to call her gangly though? :sad:

Rant on.

She's a spineless wanker, who is making British people choose between her horrible party of twats and Corbyn and his unpopular band of bellends.  The only thing more broken than British politics is American politics and that ultimate, huge fcukwit Trump. 

Trigger Brexit and then call an election, you cnuts!  Surely the Lib Dems and Greens will be on a Bremain ticket?

After 14 years out fo the country this is the last election......that my mum can use my proxy vote.

If May is truly spineless then you can forgive her gangliness.

Trump, in American parlance, is a yuge dick.

And till now I didn't think you could call a woman a wanker. Has it been democratized? (perhaps by way of referendum?) :cheesy:

I think gangly is gender neutral too though? -She's like a horrible daddy long legs. 

I think at least Trump is obvious, May is sneaky.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5007 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:40 PM »
Dang, you love arguing, huh?

What I do is analysis.

What you guys do is arguing from a position of not knowing what you are talking about, with someone who does.
Nah my man. What you do is assume that everyone who quotes you is against you, when they might just be trying to understand your analysis.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5008 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:07 PM »
There are also days when I'm just having the sad time feelies and can't be a SHINY HAPPY PERSON.
Huh?

Being kind, polite, professional, etc. doesn't take that much effort.

Mood swings aren't "normal" unless one has some sort of condition.

Perhaps I am not following your meaning, but I certainly don't agree that it is ever appropriate to let your "sad time feelies" get in the way of fulfilling your professional obligations.

This gig is pretty easy.

Have you ever thought about seeing someone about your condition?

There are also days when I'm just having the sad time feelies and can't be a SHINY HAPPY PERSON.

Perhaps I am not following your meaning, but I certainly don't agree that it is ever appropriate to let your "sad time feelies" get in the way of fulfilling your professional obligations.
@Pecan - Empathy- it's a thing. Changes in affect- that's a thing too.  I also think that if perhaps, just for a second you were to climb down off your pedestal, you may see the world quite differently. Perhaps you may think you are the same upbeat teacher EVERY SINGLE DAY and that you never bring "emotional baggage" or "feelies" to school, I can assure you that you probably do, I would ask others around you. Perhaps you have not been able to see that in yourself.

Sometimes it is difficult to acknowledge and empathise with others when one fails to acknowledge the same in ourselves. Or you just struggle with empathy, which you may want to work on, I have people in my life that struggle with the socially awkward situation too, they normally ask more questions before putting out rash statements, they have had to learn to do this though, you can too. Perhaps someone can help you with your condition.
See bolded.

Though I appreciate your input, it seems like you are the pot calling the kettle black.

I clearly acknowledged that I wasn't sure if "the shoe fit".

My point was simple:

If you can't come to work and be patient, kind, polite, professional and the like, DON'T bother coming to work.

If you need to take a "sick" day because of your mental health, take it.

Coming to school when you are a "basket case" or a moody *&^% isn't fair to anyone, especially your students.

Again, I may be completely out of line in your view, but it is what it is.

To me, it is part of adulthood and comes with being mature (it is not a pedestal).

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 신의 모드 아재: 후레쉬~!
« Reply #5009 on: April 19, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »
I think gangly is gender neutral too though?

Right. I was jokingly trying to suggest that c**t is less offensive than gangly.

Gangly does come off more as an ad hominem attack on her appearance, whereas you could more legitimately call someone a c**nt (or a dick, or a wanker...) to express your dissatisfaction with a person's actions.

Perhaps she's not entirely to blame, though. This is what happens when you send a woman to clean up a man's job.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5010 on: April 19, 2017, 01:19:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure I just had a complete stranger of a child call me a vampire. I can't be sure, because I was out on a quick lunchtime jaunt, but a little girl (maybe 3/4th) walked past me going up the hill as I was going down, looked at me, and said waygookin bampire! I just turned around and stared her down. Like I said, I could have heard wrong, but it sure sounded like it.

I guess I need to get out and take advantage of the sun now!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5011 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Are you kidding me? Being thousands of km away from home, away from family, and everything familiar will lead to some bouts of sadness. Especially if there was a major event such as a death in the family or not being able to see a major life event such as a siblings wedding. People get sad at times. I'm not saying you should yell at kids when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but shit does happen.
As I have said, if you are an emotional "wreck", take a "sick" day.

Why come to school and "infect" others in the workplace, your school, with your moodiness?

It isn't "fair" to your students or your coteachers.

Bottom line, I'm afraid I don't agree with your blanket excuse that "shit does happen" should equate to "being unprofessional is OK".  It is NOT.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #5012 on: April 19, 2017, 01:34:04 PM »
Are you kidding me? Being thousands of km away from home, away from family, and everything familiar will lead to some bouts of sadness. Especially if there was a major event such as a death in the family or not being able to see a major life event such as a siblings wedding. People get sad at times. I'm not saying you should yell at kids when you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but shit does happen.

Why come to school and "infect" others in the workplace, your school, with your moodiness?

Bottom line, I'm afraid I don't agree with your blanket excuse that "shit does happen" should equate to "being unprofessional is OK".  It is NOT.

I don't think the OP on this topic was talking about being an emotional wreck though, just not feeling up to being as effervescent as usual (but nowhere near unwell enough to take a sick day).  Some schools do expect a SUPER CHIPPER ATTITUDE from the FRIENDLY FOREIGNER. 

But totally, if one is on the brink of a meltdown, then def take a personal/sick day. 

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5013 on: April 19, 2017, 01:44:16 PM »
Huh?

This gig is pretty easy.

Have you ever thought about seeing someone about your condition?

@Pecan - Empathy- it's a thing. Changes in affect- that's a thing too.  I also think that if perhaps, just for a second you were to climb down off your pedestal, you may see the world quite differently. Perhaps you may think you are the same upbeat teacher EVERY SINGLE DAY and that you never bring "emotional baggage" or "feelies" to school, I can assure you that you probably do, I would ask others around you. Perhaps you have not been able to see that in yourself.

Sometimes it is difficult to acknowledge and empathise with others when one fails to acknowledge the same in ourselves. Or you just struggle with empathy, which you may want to work on, I have people in my life that struggle with the socially awkward situation too, they normally ask more questions before putting out rash statements, they have had to learn to do this though, you can too. Perhaps someone can help you with your condition.
See bolded.

Though I appreciate your input, it seems like you are the pot calling the kettle black.

I clearly acknowledged that I wasn't sure if "the shoe fit".

My point was simple:

If you can't come to work and be patient, kind, polite, professional and the like, DON'T bother coming to work.

If you need to take a "sick" day because of your mental health, take it.

Coming to school when you are a "basket case" or a moody *&^% isn't fair to anyone, especially your students.

Again, I may be completely out of line in your view, but it is what it is.

To me, it is part of adulthood and comes with being mature (it is not a pedestal).

You can have a bad day without being an emotional wreck. I too, hold it together, am polite, smile for everyone, I think the original post was about not being entirely 100% high energy 10% of the time. There are some days when you can be polite and charming and wonderful, without doing the cartwheels, however there is a certain expectation that some of us do cartwheels all the time. Being human and having feelings and life ups and owns does not equate to being an emotional wreck.  My suggestion to you was that perhaps, you are unable to relate to this. Perhaps you never do cartwheels, therefore there is no need to live up to that every day. If you do cartwheels every day. Good for you. Not everyone can.

Yes you acknowledged you may not understand the full meaning, but you also clearly stated "Have you ever thought about seeing someone about your condition?" Which I felt was uncalled for.

However, taking in account your admitted social awkwardness, my suggestion was that you too, can get help for ... (I dunno let's use the word condition) as well. 

If you can't be a more compassionate, patient, kind, polite, professional and the like to human beings, DON'T try and put down others that do.

You are on a pedestal.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5014 on: April 19, 2017, 01:50:43 PM »
Pecan your latest post is just another example of what i was talking about. how do you get 'emotional wreck' from someone saying they aren't feeling as chipper as usual?

and if that person did take a sick day you'd probably berate them for 'not being able to control their emotions', or being weak, or something like that  :rolleyes:

this is an example of one of your typical posts:

PERSON: the most incredible thing just happened. my coteacher stormed into the teachers office, started randomly hitting me. then she burst into a classroom, screamed in a student's face and tore up his textbook. after that she ran into the parking lot, got in her car and crashed it into a wall. the principal called the police and she was arrested. they took her to the hospital where she had a brain scan done and they found a brain tumor. doctors say that's the reason why she was acting so crazy. she's now undergoing emergency brain surgery.

PECAN: wow, in my 10 years here i've never had a coteacher hit me. i'm not sure if you are trolling? anyway OP, if you're not, i think you need to take a long hard look at what behaviors you have been doing recently that caused your coteacher to hit you. perhaps there was a cultural misunderstanding? not every foreigner is as in tune with korean culture as i am, and knows how to conduct themselves in the workplace like i do. is there anything about your coteaching relationship that might have caused her to act this way? perhaps you have been stressing her out recently. also, getting your coteacher arrested will not reflect well on you. you should look for another job when your contract is up because you won't get renewed.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5015 on: April 19, 2017, 01:57:00 PM »

I am really not clear on your reference points throughout life that have brought you to some of these outlandish conclusions.  Maybe you favor alexithymia and it makes it hard for you to accept that humans generally experience a range of different emotions every day or maybe you've seen Girl Interrupted a boatload of times.

Either way, it's not unprofessional to have feelings. It doesn't make you a wreck. It doesn't mean you're infecting others.  It also doesn't mean you're blaring "Everybody Hurts", snapping at kids, sobbing between choral drills, etc.

I sincerely hope that the empathy you lack for other adults is at least dispensed to your students who may be similarly "moody" based on unsafe/chaotic home lives, bullying, etc.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Tangled Up In 주
« Reply #5016 on: April 19, 2017, 01:57:13 PM »
PECAN: wow, in my 10 years here i've never had a coteacher hit me. i'm not sure if you are trolling? anyway OP, if you're not, i think you need to take a long hard look at what behaviors you have been doing recently that caused your coteacher to hit you. perhaps there was a cultural misunderstanding? not every foreigner is as in tune with korean culture as i am, and knows how to conduct themselves in the workplace like i do. is there anything about your coteaching relationship that might have caused her to act this way? perhaps you have been stressing her out recently. also, getting your coteacher arrested will not reflect well on you. you should look for another job when your contract is up because you won't get renewed.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5017 on: April 19, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
Pecan your latest post is just another example of what i was talking about. how do you get 'emotional wreck' from someone saying they aren't feeling as chipper as usual?

and if that person did take a sick day you'd probably berate them for 'not being able to control their emotions', or being weak, or something like that  :rolleyes:

this is an example of one of your typical posts:

PERSON: the most incredible thing just happened. my coteacher stormed into the teachers office, started randomly hitting me. then she burst into a classroom, screamed in a student's face and tore up his textbook. after that she ran into the parking lot, got in her car and crashed it into a wall. the principal called the police and she was arrested. they took her to the hospital where she had a brain scan done and they found a brain tumor. doctors say that's the reason why she was acting so crazy. she's now undergoing emergency brain surgery.

Thanks for the cackle.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #5018 on: April 19, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »
Thanks for that :)

That was a pretty darn good impression...

You may well have missed your calling.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5019 on: April 19, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
What I do is analysis.
What are you analyzing?

Evolutionary biology / anthropology.

That's because health is a more or less undefined parameter defined by the individual using it.

It is quantifiable, and the metics do not include life span. It's not "all subjective", that's just what religious cult people say.  :azn:
You were pointed to a source, the World Health Organization.  Go learn something.