October 19, 2017, 03:26:29 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521397 times)

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4800 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »
도 치 피 치 피  보 족

I'm so glad I don't have a TV, because these jingles always get stuck in my head, and they're brilliant but awful.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4801 on: March 29, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
I'm a teacher in China(legally obligated to state that when posting on here  ;D)

I was talking about working at the same school with one of my co-workers what she would think if I worked at the same school for a new contract and she said it would be nice since they seem to like me enough but I need to improve a lot as a teacher as well.

Which is fair enough. I don't think I ever claimed to be a good teacher and whenever a class didn't go well I would feel genuinely upset...I mean, up to a certain point. Honestly, it just kind of felt like the school stopped caring how well I did or how well my classes went based on how much help I was getting or how little people were saying. But, ya know, we live in a world where people don't like talking to each other directly, so I was honestly pretty appreciative of this kind of honest feedback.

Though, the one thing she said that made me pause for thought...no, actually, I just blatantly disagreed was the fact that "all of the students are eager to talk with you and learn English" which is just...like...huh? That kind of statement makes me think she's never worked with a student before...especially a middle school student...she pointed out one of her students as an example of someone who's eager to learn English...the good student, the one who was going to try to learn regardless.

I've dealt with high school students in the US and I'm dealing with middle school students in this country and a lot of kids really just don't give a shit at all. I remember in the middle school I went to in the US, we had a substitute teacher whose English ability was really low and he had a hard to communicating with the students. Also, it seemed like we were dealing with the fact that he was afraid of losing his job if he complained too much. Anyway, I'm basically that person here because the students are giving me the same respect that that substitute had at my middle school. Give the students no reason to care and not care they will.

I don't really want to complain too much about my students and my school because I know these are just challenges I need to overcome, but a statement like that is just so... -_-

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, I think. Based on my experience, students tend to take the NET's English class as seriously as the co-teacher you are with. Last year, I had 4 co-teachers, the elementary classes I had to teach (no book, was up to me what we would do) went the best, because the co-teacher gave a crap, and if the students showed me any less respect, than what they showed her, she got on their case real quick.
My co-teacher that spoke no English, would just nap / kakao / facebook game on her phone at the back of the class... the kids would be rowdy, loud, wouldn't calm down, she would calm them down if they disturbed her too much, but the peace would last for about 60 seconds. My other 2 co-teachers, to some degree care, so it's kind of a mixed bag about how well something goes with them.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4802 on: March 29, 2017, 02:33:23 PM »
Was told earlier in the week that I needed to complete a textbook activity with my grade 2s, which is a writing activity, and writing activities from the textbook take ****** forever to do in my classes because half of students require intense, step-by-step explanations, while the other half require constant supervision to ensure that they're actually doing the ****** work. The content normally doesn't have anything to do with what I'm supposed to go over and teach, too -- this is for the KTs.

But stuck with this activity I done got.

So... I did it. Went as well as I expected. Took forever, too, because the kids really dragged their feet today.

KT was surprised that the students didn't enjoy this ****** boring and incompatible activity.

adfjaldgjlad

At least she's relented and said that I can abandon that piece-of-shit activity and focus more on the activity I'd originally planned to go with MY lesson. But not before she had to see how worthless the textbook writing activities are for my classes as demonstrated by the worst ****** class in the entire grade.

I'm just done for today.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 02:36:02 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4803 on: March 29, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
Was told earlier in the week that I needed to complete a textbook activity with my grade 2s, which is a writing activity, and writing activities from the textbook take ****** forever to do in my classes because half of students require intense, step-by-step explanations, while the other half require constant supervision to ensure that they're actually doing the ****** work. The content normally doesn't have anything to do with what I'm supposed to go over and teach, too -- this is for the KTs.

But stuck with this activity I done got.

So... I did it. Went as well as I expected. Took forever, too, because the kids really dragged their feet today.

KT was surprised that the students didn't enjoy this ****** boring and incompatible activity.

adfjaldgjlad

At least she's relented and said that I can abandon that piece-of-shit activity and focus more on the activity I'd originally planned to go with MY lesson. But not before she had to see how worthless the textbook writing activities are for my classes as demonstrated by the worst ****** class in the entire grade.

I'm just done for today.

I feel you.

Today a woman who is not my TA (i don't have a TA for this class), came in and told me in broken english 'teacher today you should focus ONLY on speaking and listening with the students' (bear in mind I have 50 students in a class)

Fine. Whatever. 5 minutes into my class the brass band sets up outside my classroom and proceeds to practice for the entire hour and a half.

LOGIC.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4804 on: March 29, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
the carpenter that my partner's dad hired to work on the renovation of our apartment is a POS and seems to be unable to do more than 2 hours of work a week.

when I got back, everything was basically finished except some trim, putting a railing on the stairs, putting a door in front of one of the attic accesses, and getting our appliances in (that last bit wasn't his job though).

Week 1: trim is finished (? there are some windows that look like they still need it)
Week 2: appliances come in, two small miscellaneous pieces of wood are hammed in where they need to be
Week 3: door to the attic is "installed" (it is literally a sheet of plywood wit handles, doesn't even have hinges)

the apartment needs to be inspected in order for us to move in without risking any trouble for my partner's dad but THE STAIRS NEED THE RAILING to pass inspection. and this carpenter can't even seem to spare one solid 8-hour day FOR HIS EMPLOYER to get this apartment finished.

my partner's dad isn't much better, he's been telling me "within a few days" since I got here 3 weeks ago. I am so so so done with living in his house and my partner's mom is getting impatient and asking when we're going to move into the apartment and I'm here like ASK YOUR WORTHLESS HUSBAND

also I can't start my job because jerk boss can't sign a single piece of paper and scan it and my coteacher won't respond to any of my messages via kakao about getting my housing deposit back

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4805 on: March 29, 2017, 04:20:34 PM »
My one school asked for lesson plans (full lesson plans) for the 80 minute, twice a week after school program that I do. I did all this. I have a file thicker than any of the other teachers. I also have at the bottom of each lesson plan, a space for notes, which I complete noting absent students and if they gave me a reason, as well as noting any changes in the lesson plan of challenges I faced etc. Today there is a note in the file for me to fill out the daily lesson journal. I ask what they want in the journal (because it is set out pretty much the same way as my already completed lesson plans) and they tell me to write the lesson plan. I show them the full, typed, printed lesson plans in the back of the file. All 38 of them. I get told that "yes, you must write what is on these plans into the daily lesson journal". I am sure it is a miscommunication. It better be a miscommunication.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4806 on: March 29, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
Today there is a note in the file for me to fill out the daily lesson journal. I ask what they want in the journal (because it is set out pretty much the same way as my already completed lesson plans) and they tell me to write the lesson plan. I show them the full, typed, printed lesson plans in the back of the file. All 38 of them. I get told that "yes, you must write what is on these plans into the daily lesson journal". I am sure it is a miscommunication. It better be a miscommunication.
Just make copies of your LPs (after resizing them to 20%) and staple them to the pages of the journal. Job done! :smiley:

Offline Challen13

• Waygookin
« Reply #4807 on: March 29, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »
Today there is a note in the file for me to fill out the daily lesson journal. I ask what they want in the journal (because it is set out pretty much the same way as my already completed lesson plans) and they tell me to write the lesson plan. I show them the full, typed, printed lesson plans in the back of the file. All 38 of them. I get told that "yes, you must write what is on these plans into the daily lesson journal". I am sure it is a miscommunication. It better be a miscommunication.
Just make copies of your LPs (after resizing them to 20%) and staple them to the pages of the journal. Job done! :smiley:

I'd do the exact same thing.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4808 on: March 29, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »

I'd do the exact same thing.

Done! Thank you oh wise ones.
-A.A. Milne

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4809 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:47 PM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

I did hear you honking your horn.  You might have noticed my right turn signal, and the woman crossing the side street.  I don't know what she might have done to get you angry, but your horn did little to convince me that I should run her over.  She didn't appear to be in a hurry, and neither was I.

Best,

-jnm

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4810 on: March 30, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

I did hear you honking your horn.  You might have noticed my right turn signal, and the woman crossing the side street.  I don't know what she might have done to get you angry, but your horn did little to convince me that I should run her over.  She didn't appear to be in a hurry, and neither was I.

Best,

-jnm
People honking at me when I'm stopped at a red light or waiting for a pedestrian to finish crossing the road makes me want to install a smoke screen function la "Spy Hunter".  >:(

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4811 on: March 30, 2017, 11:06:14 AM »
According to my schedule for the day, I'm supposed to dig a trench and hope that I don't end up needing to carry my entrails back home with me by the time it's all over.

Bring it.

Dear Taxi Driver,

Best,

-jnm

I was in this exact scenario yesterday, but I was the woman crossing the street.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4812 on: March 30, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

Best,

-jnm
People honking at me when I'm stopped at a red light or waiting for a pedestrian to finish crossing the road makes me want to install a smoke screen function la "Spy Hunter".  >:(

I was thinking more like...

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4813 on: March 30, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

Best,

-jnm

I was in this exact scenario yesterday, but I was the woman crossing the street.

That was you?! :)

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4814 on: March 30, 2017, 11:40:44 AM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

Best,

-jnm

This is the worst type of person.

YES HOW RUDE OF ME NOT TO CLOBBER THE PEDESTRIAN IN FRONT OF ME SO THAT YOU MAY SHAVE THREE SECONDS OFF OF YOUR JOURNEY.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4815 on: March 30, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
Dear Taxi Driver,

Best,

-jnm

This is the worst type of person.

YES HOW RUDE OF ME NOT TO CLOBBER THE PEDESTRIAN IN FRONT OF ME SO THAT YOU MAY SHAVE THREE SECONDS OFF OF YOUR JOURNEY.
That happened to me the other night. I was in the middle of the crosswalk when some guy ran the red light and honked at me and I was so shocked and annoyed I stopped and stared him down. He drove past me and waved and said sorry then sped off again into the night.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4816 on: March 30, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »
I am having an annoyed day. I think I am ill. I don't feel sick, I just have a raging fever and the chills and am super exhausted. So all the small things seem huge. Little spawn of satan in grade 3 didn't even get a chance to give me shit, on the level he normally does, today. He looked at me funny and I made him sit at the back of the class. Alone. Lunch was awesome for a change, so the lunch ladies decided to give me grade 2 size portions for some unknown reason and I am salty about that. AND if one more person leaves the goddamn door open I am going to burst into flames of anger.

I know this is all me. Truly no one is really doing anything that would normally annoy me. it's me. Today it's everything. Like why is my CT breathing. Stop with the breathing!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

-A.A. Milne

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4817 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56:51 PM »
Also, I just grabbed one of those coffee stick things, that I never use, but I saw that the package said it had honey and not sugar, so hey let's try it. DON'T, Just walk away man. Walk.Away.

Tastes like dirt. Quite literally.
-A.A. Milne

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4818 on: March 30, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
Also, I just grabbed one of those coffee stick things, that I never use, but I saw that the package said it had honey and not sugar, so hey let's try it. DON'T, Just walk away man. Walk.Away.

Tastes like dirt. Quite literally.

I understand that that sucked for you.............

But that's hilarious.
Ignoring isnt the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4819 on: March 30, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
Realized today that it's past the deadline for the school to send me my housing deposit back, and both messaged my coteacher (who hasn't responded to a single message I've sent her on kakao since I left) as well as the MOE as I was fully anticipating her nonresponse

MOE got back to me saying they'd talked to the school and it was on its way, and very soon afterwards got a message on kakao from my coteacher who berated me for messaging her so early in the morning and confirming what the MOE person said. I just kind of brushed it off by saying I don't usually stay up late enough to message her in her afternoon but she wouldn't let it go and in her next message said "it's rude to message people at dawn in Korea"

I managed to keep myself from going off at her but like seriously? I had tried messaging her in the morning and in the afternoon/evening before but even when she read my messages she didn't respond to any of my messages and it took TWENTY DAYS from my first message for her to respond to any message at all, and only because the MOE was involved. PLUS I am not in Korea and she shouldn't expect me to adhere to Korean time. I understand if she responds to my message in the middle of the night my time, it's not like I expect an immediate response, but I am not going to remember to message her right before I go to bed at night or whatever

Just typical Korean bs and I am so glad to hopefully nearly be done with it forever

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment