September 27, 2017, 03:21:53 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492526 times)

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4760 on: March 27, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
I really like my new CoT.  He's energetic, entertaining, and the kids love him. But even though he tries really hard, his English level is quite low. 
We were wrapping up a lesson today and one of the lesson words was "grandpa". He taught it as "grandfa".  :lipsrsealed: :huh: :cry: He had the kids writing it out and kept 'correcting' their pronunciation. On the bright side, these students still pronounce their f's like p's, so I don't think there'll be any permanent damage.
Not to mention all the "meth" addicts running around the classroom today. (They were learning  "I like math.")
I just wish he would take advantage of my presence for modelling pronunciation.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4761 on: March 27, 2017, 05:24:09 PM »
I have a raging headache.
I don't know if it's just from smog or if I'm getting sick. My coteacher has a horrid cold, and I sure hope I didn't catch it. I need to plan classes, but I can't concentrate on anything.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4762 on: March 27, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »
Yeah. It drives me bananas.
Also, your avatar gives me an awful headache every time I see it.
I'm upset that waygook won't let me add the beeping/crashing noises that should go along with the picture. >:(

I've been looking into SMF to see if it's possible to encode sound effects in comments. So far no dice, but one day... one day...  :evil:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:33:38 PM by kyndo »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4763 on: March 27, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
I don't know if it's just from smog or if I'm getting sick. My coteacher has a horrid cold, and I sure hope I didn't catch it. I need to plan classes, but I can't concentrate on anything.

Ugh I'm noticing more and more kids coming to school with masks. Already preparing myself for  the sweet nectar of Nyquil.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4764 on: March 27, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I had my coffee with no milk and no sugar and almost enjoyed it.

Arrrg. Been here to long.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4765 on: March 27, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »

Ugh I'm noticing more and more kids coming to school with masks. Already preparing myself for  the sweet nectar of Nyquil.

We must praise.

Also, it could be because moms are scared about the high dust levels, and not because their kids are little disease monsters. But who knows.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4766 on: March 27, 2017, 05:45:55 PM »
I had my coffee with no milk and no sugar and almost enjoyed it.

Arrrg. Been here to long.

haha I rarely miss it anymore. But when I went to the States over winter vacation I practically cried when I used the little milk/cream/sugar counter in the airport Starbucks. GF thought I was nuts.

The customer service stateside though? Wow. Bad news.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4767 on: March 27, 2017, 05:50:19 PM »

We must praise.

Also, it could be because moms are scared about the high dust levels, and not because their kids are little disease monsters. But who knows.

Yes, except many of them come to my desk and say TEACHER I AM SICK and then proves it by coughing all over me.  :-[

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4768 on: March 27, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
When I walked into my 6th period class this afternoon, two thirds of the students were gone. I asked the students who were there where everyone was, and was told "They're eating lunch." That was a bit odd, because lunch is between 4th and 5th periods.

Apparently they couldn't eat at lunch time because the cafeteria didn't have enough rice prepared during lunch hour, so some students had to wait. I asked what they were doing during 5th period, and was told they all went to class. The rice wasn't ready until 6th, so they went then, and were going to be "ten or twenty minutes late."

Alright, cool. I'll just start the class I had planned for 25 students with this group of 8, and enjoy the constant stream of interruptions as the rest of the class blusters in over the first twenty minutes of class. That'll be fun and not at all counterproductive.

Seriously though, wtf @ the cafeteria. What had to go wrong that lead to there not being enough rice? That's the one thing Koreans have with every meal. They know how many students are at the school, and there were no surprise large groups at the school today, afaik. Late rice delivery? Ruined batch? Technical difficulties? Ugh.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4769 on: March 27, 2017, 05:54:23 PM »
Get ready for some text book gripes:
The use of "hot" in place of "spicy." Yes, this isn't necessarily wrong but more accurately describes a temperature so it's confusing to hear "I didn't like my soup because it was too hot."
Uhhh.
Man, I hate that one so much: it's a huge failing in the English language. Both of the adjectives used to describe '매운' (spicy, hot) are also used to describe completely different flavours that often accompany foods that are '매운'.
I feel that it's dumb to have to use an entire phrase (hot and spicy) to describe such a basic thing as a common flavour. >:(

Can't tell if serious or just Kyndo being goofy and hyperbolic...

I'm not sure I'd call a language having multiple words for the same thing a "huge failing," but different strokes, I guess.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4770 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:17 PM »

We must praise.

Yes, except many of them come to my desk and say TEACHER I AM SICK and then proves it by coughing all over me.  :-[

Ew. Gross. Get the sanitizer spray bottle.

Offline mbg121

• Waygookin
« Reply #4771 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »
The soup at lunch today smelled like dirty sea water and wet dog.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4772 on: March 27, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
Get ready for some text book gripes:
The use of "hot" in place of "spicy." Yes, this isn't necessarily wrong but more accurately describes a temperature so it's confusing to hear "I didn't like my soup because it was too hot."
Uhhh.
Man, I hate that one so much: it's a huge failing in the English language. Both of the adjectives used to describe '매운' (spicy, hot) are also used to describe completely different flavours that often accompany foods that are '매운'.
I feel that it's dumb to have to use an entire phrase (hot and spicy) to describe such a basic thing as a common flavour. >:(

I'm not sure I'd call a language having multiple words for the same thing a "huge failing," but different strokes, I guess.

Well now that I've been thinking about it, I can't imagine a situation where I'd describe something as "hot" if it is in fact spicy. The only exception would be with hot sauce or salsa because it's sort of implicit that it will be spicy on some level so you need to grade it.

But whatever. Still reeling over LIBARRY and the fact that I have to hear it a dozen more times this week.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4773 on: March 27, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »

We must praise.

Ew. Gross. Get the sanitizer spray bottle.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4774 on: March 27, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
I stepped in gum last period and now my slipper sticks to the floor when I walk.  >:(

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4775 on: March 27, 2017, 06:48:35 PM »
The soup at lunch today smelled like dirty sea water and wet dog.

I feel this. Today I thought a kindergartener pissed in the cafeteria, because the miso paste soup smelled so foul.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4776 on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:23 PM »
If in doubt, assume the latter. The only thing that *really* offends me is people calling me goofy.  >:(

It's not so much that one meaning has multiple words (which adds a lot of tasteful flavour to a language, especially when it comes to poetry and literature), but that one meaning has multiple words which are shared by related but very different meanings.
Imagine a hypothetical language where the word for 'blue' and 'green' was the same. Moreover, imagine that there were also two words for 'blue', but that the second word was shared by the meaning 'purple'.
I feel that that's just sloppy coding.

And by 'hypothetical language', I mean Japanese (for the first part, at least). :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:09:20 PM by kyndo »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4777 on: March 28, 2017, 04:12:11 AM »
It's not so much that one meaning has multiple words (which adds a lot of tasteful flavour to a language, especially when it comes to poetry and literature), but that one meaning has multiple words which are shared by related but very different meanings.
Imagine a hypothetical language where the word for 'blue' and 'green' was the same. Moreover, imagine that there were also two words for 'blue', but that the second word was shared by the meaning 'purple'.

And by 'hypothetical language', I mean Japanese (for the first part, at least). :smiley:

Haha I was gonna say...

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4778 on: March 28, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
My coteacher is still sick and she apologized for forgetting her mask, but she promised she'd be very careful to not spread germs. Not 5 minutes later she sneezed the biggest sneeze and didn't bother to cover her mouth. Why!? I suppose it could just be confirmation bias, but it seems like very few people here cover their mouth, or if they do they use their hand.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4779 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:55 AM »

Haha I was gonna say...

Korean, too, if my former CoT is to be believed. He said that until relatively recently (50 years or so ago, maybe), Korean didn't really distinguish between certain shades of green and blue, and that there are still some older Korean people who don't/can't. He specifically gave traffic lights as an example of something they might call "blue," to give an idea of what shades he meant, I guess.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment