September 25, 2017, 06:55:45 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490401 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4740 on: March 24, 2017, 03:44:58 PM »
Lesson 2 of the Daekyo book is the most garbage chapter I've ever had to teach. Not looking forward to the next few weeks...

"What's this?", "This is my mother.", "What's your favorite subject?" or "How do you say "Hello" in Korean?"?

I'm betting on the latter. The whole grade six Daekyo book is garbage. Whose bright idea was it to make a chapter where half the vocabulary are Korean words?

My own rant for today: This morning driving to work, somebody whose time is obviously much more important than mine passed me on the inside while I was making a left turn at a T on a country road with only two lanes Nascar style. Yeehaw!

Pfffft, I'll bet you don't even know Hangwa.

Do you even Hanbok, bro?
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4741 on: March 24, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
The whole grade six Daekyo book is garbage. Whose bright idea was it to make a chapter where half the vocabulary are Korean words?

It's a national law English teaching textbooks used in the public schools must be produced in Korea. (To give jobs to Koreans? Or the fear kids may become too Westernized?)

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4742 on: March 24, 2017, 05:00:30 PM »
The whole grade six Daekyo book is garbage. Whose bright idea was it to make a chapter where half the vocabulary are Korean words?

It's a national law English teaching textbooks used in the public schools must be produced in Korea. (To give jobs to Koreans? Or the fear kids may become too Westernized?)

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the book being made in Korea but there's a chapter later on where every vocab word is Korean. It's called "Do You Know About Hanbok" and it's just Korean words romanized and my students last year just cringed at the spelling and called the words ugly.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4743 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »

Yeah there's nothing wrong with the book being made in Korea but there's a chapter later on where every vocab word is Korean. It's called "Do You Know About Hanbok" and it's just Korean words romanized and my students last year just cringed at the spelling and called the words ugly.

That said, I think having the students know how to romanise hangeul is important. That should probably be reserved for a stand alone lesson though.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4744 on: March 24, 2017, 05:08:42 PM »
Yeah there's nothing wrong with the book being made in Korea but[...]

You think teachers should be forced to choose from only a limited number of government approved textbooks made from within Korea?

Banning Western books limits competition which in turn limits the potential quality of the final product in my opinion.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4745 on: March 24, 2017, 05:40:46 PM »
Yeah there's nothing wrong with the book being made in Korea but[...]

You think teachers should be forced to choose from only a limited number of government approved textbooks made from within Korea?

Banning Western books limits competition which in turn limits the potential quality of the final product in my opinion.

I'm saying that my issue with the book in this current situation is not about how it's made in Korea. My initial issue with the book today, which prompted the discussion, is how the second lesson is a garbage lesson. Whether the garbage lesson stems from the book being made in Korea and not giving Western companies the change to write a better book or not is a completely different issue of which you may take up with others. However I will ask you to not isolate part of my comment to make it appear as if I support the choice to limit books to being made solely within Korea when it is entirely irrelevant from my initial statement.

Side note: Damn that sounds like a Pecan comment on my part.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4746 on: March 24, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
It's not irrelevant, though.

Why are the text books so Korea centric?

It's due to the books being made in Korea...and possibly not being able to be approved unless they sufficiently big up 대한민국.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4747 on: March 24, 2017, 06:17:55 PM »
Yeah there's nothing wrong with the book being made in Korea but there's a chapter later on where every vocab word is Korean. It's called "Do You Know About Hanbok" and it's just Korean words romanized

In the future, the students will use English as a vehicle to tell tourists about the cool things in Korea. 'Do you know Dokdo?', etc. Maybe that's the aim anyways.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4748 on: March 24, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
It's not irrelevant, though.

Why are the text books so Korea centric?

It's due to the books being made in Korea...and possibly not being able to be approved unless they sufficiently big up 대한민국.

It's irrelevant to how I said I hate the chapter... You're quoting me when I'm not the one who originally mentioned the whole chapter on Korean words. My whole point was how a totally different chapter is garbage. Then I went on to say that my kids also hated that other chapter were all the words were Korean words because of the romanization. I didn't like that chapter because the kids aren't learning any new words. The sentence for that chapter was fine, but like just pick 1 or 2 words that aren't Korean for keywords. On the plus side my students realized why foreigners pronounce things weird if they're reading a romanized version of a Korean word.

It's better than the dreadful French books we had growing up with the horrible French pineapple that was like the spokesperson. The kids can relate to the Korean bits. No one in Canada related to that damn pineapple :P

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4749 on: March 24, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »

That said, I think having the students know how to romanise hangeul is important.

Yes it is. Especially since nearly everything they study in their text books in about Korea. The irony is most Korean teachers don't think it's necessary to romanize Hangeul and the kids, when they are asked to write anything, are nearly always writing about something with a Korean context. Hence theit texts are half full of Hangeul, which the teachers ignore.  If they studied the language through the culture a bit more, they'd only have to learn personal details like their name and birth place etc..

Offline oglop

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4750 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:01 PM »
Lesson 2 of the Daekyo book is the most garbage chapter I've ever had to teach. Not looking forward to the next few weeks...
i've never actually seen an esl book (for elementary students, at least) published in korea that has been actually "good"

i'm hoping somebody will tell me they know of one

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4751 on: March 26, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
I need to get my supervisor's signature on a document basically saying I didn't abuse any kids while I was working at this school so I can start my new job as a substitute

I knew it would be impossible to get it signed by her once I left the country so I had her sign it before but it turns out the school district is uptight about receiving the signed document directly from the person who signed it so they sent it out to her to sign and send back

I'm 90% sure it'll never come back from her and it doesn't fully prevent me from getting the job (she has 20 days to return it signed and I was told by the district they had "other methods" to confirm my status as a non-child-molester) but it does slow the process down and it's all just very annoying.

I've also tried to contact two of my coteachers about this paperwork and getting the principal's email address because I forgot to exchange email addresses with her before I left but neither of them are responding/being helpful.

I knew this would happen as soon as I left. So predictably Korean and so obnoxious.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4752 on: March 27, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
Thursday at my travel elementary. The principal decides to stop by my grade 3 class and watch. She enjoys it a lot so she started to join in with the kids. Then we get near the end where we have the comprehension questions... The principal starts flipping out because I can't ask the comprehension questions in English.
I have to teach the book there, and am not allowed to do anything outside the book. They don't have the teachers book for any grade except grade 4 that has the translations; The principal's, and the home room teacher's, English is really low, so they can't offer me a translation that I understand enough to even make a guess at what they questions say in English; And I don't speak / read any Korean.
For the rest of the day, she starts coming into ALL my other classes, interrupting them just to say: "I think you should have asked the questions in English..."

In the big break after that class, with hopefully the help of google translate, I made it clear that: without the teachers book that has the translations, or offering me a translation that I can make guesses from, I can't ask the questions in English. They claimed to understand that unique situation, but I question if they really did. :\

She stopped interrupting my classes once I started banging my head against the blackboard lol

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4753 on: March 27, 2017, 11:24:38 AM »
I need to get my supervisor's signature on a document basically saying I didn't abuse any kids while I was working at this school so I can start my new job as a substitute

One would hope that if you had, you wouldn't have been teaching there anymore.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4754 on: March 27, 2017, 11:42:26 AM »
I just boiled water for my tea and was putting the lid back on my tumbler but I accidentally spilled it all over my hands and desk, burning my hands a bit. I jumped back and started trying to dry my hands off, and the teacher at the desk next to mine just looked over and laughed. I wasn't really expecting any help, but still.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4755 on: March 27, 2017, 11:46:21 AM »
I just boiled water for my tea and was putting the lid back on my tumbler but I accidentally spilled it all over my hands and desk, burning my hands a bit. I jumped back and started trying to dry my hands off, and the teacher at the desk next to mine just looked over and laughed. I wasn't really expecting any help, but still.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4756 on: March 27, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4757 on: March 27, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
Get ready for some text book gripes:

The use of "school playing field" and expecting the students (much less ANYONE) to guess what this elusive location might be.

A recording of whatever weird robot they use saying LIBARRY.

The use of "hot" in place of "spicy." Yes, this isn't necessarily wrong but more accurately describes a temperature so it's confusing to hear "I didn't like my soup because it was too hot."

Uhhh.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4758 on: March 27, 2017, 05:14:15 PM »
The use of "hot" in place of "spicy." Yes, this isn't necessarily wrong but more accurately describes a temperature so it's confusing to hear "I didn't like my soup because it was too hot."
Uhhh.
Man, I hate that one so much: it's a huge failing in the English language. Both of the adjectives used to describe '매운' (spicy, hot) are also used to describe completely different flavours that often accompany foods that are '매운'.
I feel that it's dumb to have to use an entire phrase (hot and spicy) to describe such a basic thing as a common flavour. >:(

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4759 on: March 27, 2017, 05:15:25 PM »
Uhhh.
Man, I hate that one so much: it's a huge failing in the English language. Both of the adjectives used to describe '매운' (spicy, hot) are also used to describe completely different flavours that often accompany foods that are '매운'.
I feel that it's dumb to have to use an entire phrase (hot and spicy) to describe such a basic thing as a common flavour. >:(

Yeah. It drives me bananas.

Also, your avatar gives me an awful headache every time I see it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment