November 19, 2017, 09:15:21 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563998 times)

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4700 on: April 01, 2017, 02:52:53 AM »
I hate the town I'm in.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong about it, it's nice enough, but I feel so isolated and lonely out here. There's not a lot to do, and there aren't many expats, and I wouldn't say I'm close with many of them. I don't speak enough Korean to just go out and find things to do, and going and partying in Daegu every weekend sounds like a wonderful recipe for burning out -- which I already am starting to feel. I also don't feel that close to the people I know from Daegu, and all my friends are 3 hours away in Busan.

I'm just so bored and lonely that there's no way for me to release from work, which makes it hard to focus on/care about that.

What the hell have I gotten myself into?

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Being isolated from others that you can regularly communicate with and not being used to it can make the culture shock that much worse.

To combat it, you really need to engage with yourself more. Take up some hobbies that keep you active, both physically and mentally, and challenge yourself more. Depending on what you choose to get into, you can even find many expat FB groups to interact with, too.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4701 on: April 03, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »
I don't understand the "You teach public school, shame on you" argument. It happened on here a week ago when I made an off-colour, sexual joke. "You teach kids, I can't believe it, OMG."

A better example would have been this weekend. As many of you know, I'm recently single, so on Friday night I had a bit too much beer. I texted this 10/10 Korean girl that I met years ago and told her that I would love to take her to a love motel and have some fun with her. NOW, if you want to criticise me for being a complete moron, go for it. It was a stupid thing to do and I apologised later to her and her BF, however, I got a message saying, "You teach elemenetary school, shame on you, you pervert."

I will never understand this. Do they think my sex drive will transfer over onto 11 year olds?
Unless they make posters of the chat and put them up all over the neighbourhood around the school, the kids and community are free from this. (They live in North rural Incheon, me I'm well south of Seoul.)

If a teacher is clubbing and dancing with a guy/girl, are they to be shamed for that? Are teachers not allowed to have sex with people?

I'm an idiot, but it doesn't bleed over into a "Where are you from?" lesson.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4702 on: April 03, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »

Yea CO2 I completely agree with you!  That leap made by some people makes no sense at all.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4703 on: April 03, 2017, 08:03:09 AM »

Yea CO2 I completely agree with you!  That leap made by some people makes no sense at all.

I think it has to do with the idea that teachers are kind of like parents, and nobody wants to think of their parents having sex.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4704 on: April 03, 2017, 08:04:58 AM »
I don't understand the "You teach public school, shame on you" argument. It happened on here a week ago when I made an off-colour, sexual joke. "You teach kids, I can't believe it, OMG."

A better example would have been this weekend. As many of you know, I'm recently single, so on Friday night I had a bit too much beer. I texted this 10/10 Korean girl that I met years ago and told her that I would love to take her to a love motel and have some fun with her. NOW, if you want to criticise me for being a complete moron, go for it. It was a stupid thing to do and I apologised later to her and her BF, however, I got a message saying, "You teach elemenetary school, shame on you, you pervert."

I will never understand this. Do they think my sex drive will transfer over onto 11 year olds?
Unless they make posters of the chat and put them up all over the neighbourhood around the school, the kids and community are free from this. (They live in North rural Incheon, me I'm well south of Seoul.)

If a teacher is clubbing and dancing with a guy/girl, are they to be shamed for that? Are teachers not allowed to have sex with people?

I'm an idiot, but it doesn't bleed over into a "Where are you from?" lesson.

It probably goes back to the old pillars of community idea. The school teacher, the priest, the councilor etc...I guess the downside was they were supposed to behave in a more restrained, respectable manner but the upside was you wouldn't have got parents coming to the school threatening to beat them up, as you do nowadays.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4705 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
CO2,

If you are not actually a licensed teacher, carry on.

However, if you are, then you would be fully aware of the standards, the professional ethics, codes of conduct, professional boundaries, etc. that we are required to maintain inside and outside of the school.

It is 24/7.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4706 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
Teachers in the US have been reprimanded or even fired/forced to resign over photos on social media of them with alcohol. 

Can you imagine if teachers in Korea were fired for getting caught drinking?  There'd be hardly any teachers left. 

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4707 on: April 03, 2017, 09:50:17 AM »
Just thinking about it a bit more...

Teachers shouldn't be shamed for doing things that every adult does (sex, drinking alcohol etc).

But on the other hand I wouldn't want people to know that I "texted this 10/10 Korean girl that I met years ago and told her that I would love to take her to a love motel and have some fun with her".  That reflects badly on you if you are a teacher I suppose.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4708 on: April 03, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »

Teachers shouldn't be shamed for doing things that every adult does (sex, drinking alcohol etc).

But on the other hand I wouldn't want people to know that I "texted this 10/10 Korean girl that I met years ago and told her that I would love to take her to a love motel and have some fun with her".  That reflects badly on you if you are a teacher I suppose.

Basically.  But this forum can be an outlet with anonymity and I think CO2 was just being detailed in ranting to make a point.  I doubt he's telling people in real life.  Most all of us have done stupid stuff in our lives that we'd rather not make public. 

EDIT:  While I would hate to be the recipient of such a message, I can also sympathize with the frustration of "you are a teacher so you must be pious and perfect" attitude. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:01:24 AM by yirj17 »

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4709 on: April 03, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »

Basically.  But this forum can be an outlet with anonymity and I think CO2 was just being detailed in ranting to make a point.  I doubt he's telling people in real life.  Most all of us have done stupid stuff in our lives that we'd rather not make public. 

EDIT:  While I would hate to be the recipient of such a message, I can also sympathize with the frustration of "you are a teacher so you must be pious and perfect" attitude.

Oh yea I agree with you, I'm sure he isn't.  CO2, are you?!  :P

I can understand that girl's reaction because it probably is a little shocking to hear that from a teacher but I completely understand the rant about us having to be nuns and monks generally in the eyes of Koreans.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4710 on: April 03, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
I completely understand the rant about us having to be nuns and monks generally in the eyes of Koreans.
Exaggerating for argument's sake?

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4711 on: April 03, 2017, 10:28:17 AM »
I completely understand the rant about us having to be nuns and monks generally in the eyes of Koreans.
Exaggerating for argument's sake?

I slipped in the word 'generally' because I know "not all Koreans think..."

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4712 on: April 03, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
EDIT:  While I would hate to be the recipient of such a message,

Even if it was from someone you wanted to have sex with?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4713 on: April 03, 2017, 11:19:01 AM »

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
- Wayne Gretzky

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4714 on: April 03, 2017, 11:21:10 AM »
Rant one for the day: I hate it when people on here are talking about things Koreans have said and they will put an accent on....if that's the right way to describe it. Like: Teacher you like the kimchi? So spicy!

I mean, i've probably done it in the past myself but I regret it if I have. It's just not very nice. We all know what Koreans speaking English sound like.

Rant two: Eggieguffer. Everytime I see your username I feel a little bit sick. It's grim  :laugh: :cry:  ;D :laugh:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4715 on: April 03, 2017, 11:27:30 AM »
Rant two: Eggieguffer. Everytime I see your username I feel a little bit sick. It's grim  :laugh: :cry:  ;D :laugh:

Oh dear, did I hurt your ickle feelings?  :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4716 on: April 03, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »

YES. A mere text message?? How crude! I require a handwritten letter imbued with perfume and delivered by courier.  Proper courtship, thanks!  :afro:

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4717 on: April 03, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »

YES. A mere text message?? How crude! I require a handwritten letter imbued with perfume and delivered by courier.  Proper courtship, thanks!  :afro:

Fair do's

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4718 on: April 03, 2017, 12:04:31 PM »
In all honesty though, a text message propositioning sex would be a major turn off. 

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4719 on: April 03, 2017, 12:10:36 PM »
So you want a handwritten letter delivered by a courier late Friday night? Do such services exist?

Friday night I had a bit too much beer. I texted this 10/10 Korean girl that I met years ago and told her that I would love to take her to a love motel and have some fun with her.
You can get everything delivered in Korea!