October 19, 2017, 04:12:58 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 522495 times)

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4660 on: March 21, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
If they like it its cool, but are you letting them pick or telling them to make one? If someone they didn't want to would you push it? Thats what i have a problem with. If they want it then thats their choice, I had a girl who wanted to be called garlic last year  :laugh:
Agreed. If people want an English name (or any other name for their language course) then great, that's why we're here.

Making them take one and then potentially reprimanding them over failure to use it? Absolutely not.

There is nothing wrong with their name. Their name is beautiful and it represents who they are. Korean people should not have to change their names or their naming practices to make westerners feel more comfortable. This is English class, not brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values class.

Yikes.

Did you guys ever take language classes in grade school? Is my experience just that uncommon? I assumed it was commonplace to get a name in a language class, since I did in different classes at different schools, but was that just a string of oddities?

Seriously, it's completely bizarre to me that it'd be characterized as " brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values." It's just learning a new language and getting a language-appropriate name to use in that class.

When I took Russian I learned how to "Russianize" my name, that was easy enough. But none of the teachers were ever insistent and threatened us with punishment if we failed to use it.

The reason I mention this is that you get these teachers (not you I'd say, because you seem to enjoy getting into the role and would probably run with it and have a blast) who insist on English names, but you get them in a Korean class and the Korean teacher giving them a Korean name? They would throw a fit.

Like I said, do it if they want or just do it for fun as a "take it or leave it" kind of thing. No problem. Great way to spend a class period or two and have some fun or break the ice.

It's not you. DeMartino has a few....issues.
As you said, every language class I've been in has done the "choose a name in _______ and use it in class" thing.
Obviously forcing names on kids and punishing them etc is stupid. But that is common sense.

I put those things in strong terms so maybe people would wake up and examine whether they did that or were hypocrites about it, like in Korean class.

There's a scene in the Korean movie "Please teach me English" which sees things from the other perspective. The lead character specifically mentions the name change thing and the rather insulting nature and inequality of it.

I've also had multiple Korean people who lived overseas express their displeasure with this and they seriously had questions why it was up to them to have to change their name to make things easier for westerners (not just overseas but in Korea too) yet it wasn't the responsibility of westerners to properly learn how to pronounce their name. Again, there was a fundamental inequality to that whole concept. And as I said, you see this reflected in the attitudes of some teachers who will insist on English names in their classroom and refuse a Korean one in the Korean classroom.

It was after watching that movie, hearing the opinions of Koreans who had lived overseas, and witnessing the behavior of other English teachers that I resolved to address each person by their Korean name unless they wanted an English name. However, for 5th and 6th graders I would continue to address them as Mr. and Ms. (Last Name) simply out of formality (and convenience, let's be real 'Lee' or 'Kim' is easier to remember, also I believe that children above the age of 12 are adults when it comes to responsibility and moral conduct [not other stuff you sickos]).

Anyways, I'd strongly recommend teachers out there to use their Korean name unless they explicitly request otherwise or have an obvious inclination to a nickname or something. It's part of the fundamental respect you show them as human beings.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:25:24 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4661 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:46 PM »
I think you are overestimating the phenomenon. I agree Koreans shouldn't have to change their names.
I taught at an international school and Koreans and to a lesser extent Chinese, were the ONLY ones who took English names. Japanese never did. SE Asians never did. Euros never did obviously. Middle Eastern students never did.
No one was forcing anyone to do anything. But Koreans took it upon themselves, for whatever reason, to choose to have an English name. Why were the only ones? I still dont know.

Also Koreans mangle my name. I dont give a toss.

My point is that you are making out this to be a pervasive thing forced upon them by some kid from Manitoba , when in reality its usually some harebrained hogwon owners scheme to impress parents. Or as Pecan alluded to, a activity in one of the text books. Very very few teachers here would be forcing english names on students.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4662 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:39 PM »
Back in uni, a lot of Koreans exchange students I met would insist on only telling me their English names.  I was actually kind of disappointed because I wanted to learn their real names.  Some just liked the novelty of having an English name whereas others were overly concerned that their Korean names were too difficult for westerners to pronounce (or maybe they were simply tired of their names being butchered). 

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4663 on: March 21, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
I think choosing an English name for English class is completely different from being expected to use an English name after moving to an English country.The latter is obviously absurd, and I'd call out anyone I saw try to pull that sh!t on an immigrant. Immigrating is hard enough without people springing nonsense like that on you.

In class, though, it's just using a new name for 45 minutes, two or three times a week. Outside of class, you're still you. You aren't doing it to make things easier on a group of people too lazy or pig-headed to learn a name they aren't used to, you're doing it so everyone can practice using the names that are common in that language while they're in class studying it.

Somewhat related, but sometimes immigrants to a new country go by names more common in their new countries because they're sick of hearing people butcher their names  :laugh:. Even when dealing with people who are willing to try to pronounce it, they might just not want to hear their name being mangled anymore, haha.  I remember one of my math professors at Uni trying earnestly and repeatedly to pronounce the name of a Chinese exchange student, and the student eventually just said "You can call me Emily."  :cheesy:
(EDIT: Ninja'd by yirj17, haha)

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4664 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:52 PM »
Back in uni, a lot of Koreans exchange students I met would insist on only telling me their English names. I was actually kind of disappointed because I wanted to learn their real names.  Some just liked the novelty of having an English name whereas others were overly concerned that their Korean names were too difficult for westerners to pronounce (or maybe they were simply tired of their names being butchered).

I've even come across that here in Korea several times. One even explicitly said "My Korean name is too difficult, just call me Blablabla."

I know my pronunciation isn't perfect, but c'mon, man. Give a guy a chance.

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4665 on: March 21, 2017, 08:14:23 PM »
I feel like I am filtering the entire atmosphere of Incheon with my lungs, and they are definitely not up to the task. My face just exploded with symptoms. We need a downpour or a stiff breeze or something; I've never reacted this badly before. Maybe it's the new 3rd graders; they are veritable Petri dishes of disease.

Has anyone else been hit hard by the dust season this time round? I usually have zero problems related to my lungs or breathing, even when suffering from a nasty cold.

You're not alone. I'm in what is considered a "clean" part of the country and I have been really ill for the past few days. I woke up to swollen and burning eyes today. So I think it's a combination of walking petri dishes and the dust.

Yeah. I'm generally not sensitive to environmental changes or anything, but I've been feeling *rough*.

Seoul Had the Second-Worst Air Quality in the World This Morning
http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/society/2017/03/21/0706000000AKR20170321050000017.HTML?template=2087

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4666 on: March 21, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
I have a bigger problem with the names that people give the kids than whether or not they give them names at all. One of my classes has 2 Milks, 1 Bread, an Onion, and 3 Dottys. I had to arbitrate when the Milks had an argument about which one was the real Milk.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4667 on: March 21, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
I have a bigger problem with the names that people give the kids than whether or not they give them names at all. One of my classes has 2 Milks, 1 Bread, an Onion, and 3 Dottys. I had to arbitrate when the Milks had an argument about which one was the real Milk.

Two years ago I had three boys want to be called Van Persie. All in different classes.

Last year they all got moved into the same class and by some magic of student numbers at the same table. (They did get moved around and then back together.)

It became a running gag with my CT to shout Persie at the table just to see all three if their heads pop up. So much fun that even other students started trying it.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4668 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:57 PM »
I've always thought to concept of changing ones name to be kind of odd. I never liked the idea of forcing them to do it (which my one CT did).

Some of my CTs were all for it. Others were a firm no. A lot of my students who initially had English names in lower level grades switched back to Korean later on. It took some practice but I did it.

My future BIL is Korean and I actually don't know his real name. He just won't use it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4669 on: March 21, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »
I've always thought to concept of changing ones name to be kind of odd. I never liked the idea of forcing them to do it (which my one CT did).

Some of my CTs were all for it. Others were a firm no. A lot of my students who initially had English names in lower level grades switched back to Korean later on. It took some practice but I did it.

My future BIL is Korean and I actually don't know his real name. He just won't use it.

It might be embarrassing.  I met a guy named BumSuk once.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4670 on: March 22, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »

Ha, funny story. That my cousins name. My BIL is named Eunsuk. Admittedly those are one of those unfortunate cases where it might actually be a good idea.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4671 on: March 22, 2017, 12:16:23 PM »

I was dating a guy whose name was Geum Suk, hard G sound. Since I was pretty new to Korean, it was a particularly difficult name to make sound right.

So, I ask the 4th grade teacher what happened to my printer. She tells me that the repair guy came to pick it up, last Friday, and it's being repaired. She doesn't know when I'll get a new one.

Since today was my writing lesson day, it was a giant pain in the ass that I couldn't print my worksheets before class. I had to run to each teacher's classroom and make prints just before each lesson. I ask if I may use her printer to make prints, before class... She says, no.
Confused at her bitchiness, I ask the 5th grade homeroom teacher.

On my way to the 5th grade HR teacher's class, I walk past the 4th grade teacher's empty class and realise why she didn't want me to use her printer. The damn cow had taken my printer, to replace her old one and obviously didn't want me to notice.
Steal it back.
I had a little folding legs dinner table go missing from my room over winter vacation last year. The school had brought in workers over the break to fix some things, so I thought one of them took it. I tried asking around at the admin to see if they could contact the workers, and also asked my co-teacher to ask the other teachers about it. No one knew anything.

Fast forward a year, and I'm walking in the halls after getting back from vacation and I see that one of the teachers who said she didn't know anything about my missing table had taken it. I stole it back.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4672 on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:55 PM »
Just had an enormously frustrating moment. Asked my Grade 5's if they knew the game hangman. *blank stares*, so I say ok I will show you. I draw one line on the board as the first letter of a word and the students start shouting for the KET, before I have even had a chance to draw the second line.

I hadn't even started to explain. Give me fu--ing 5 seconds man! I told my KET that I didn't need his help and half way through the review I introduced hangman following a process of how do you spell that? Can you guess this word? Tell me the alphabet letters. I draw the hangman as we go. (Which was exactly how I was going to introduce it ANYWAY! One minute tops of showing how the game works and boom, full understanding without any translation in under a goddamn minute).

I am not mad at the students or CT. I am mad at whoever taught these kids that it is okay to scream for a korean translation before even giving the GET time to show anything. I'm mad at spoon feeding.
I'm mad that this school made me do 38 80 minute full lesson plans for the entire year's after school program and had me do it in 2 days. They told me to email it by yesterday lunch, I did. Then get told to send by cool messenger this morning - so I did. Then I get a phone call to say bring it to me on your usb. My usb is in the classroom set up for a lesson in less than 2 minutes. You can just damn wait.  I'm mad at the world!

I am mad that I signed on for another year of this crap. (okay but only because of this school, my other schools are awesome).

I'm grumpy. Overreacting. Maybe I need a snickers.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4673 on: March 22, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »
Whenever break time rolls around students always invade my classroom and start running around and screaming and scribbling all over my boards wasting my pens. Thank god it's my last day of classes. I'll miss the little brats but not their crazy antics.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4674 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:51 PM »
Whenever break time rolls around students always invade my classroom and start running around and screaming and scribbling all over my boards wasting my pens. Thank god it's my last day of classes. I'll miss the little brats but not their crazy antics.
Thats one thing I don't understand. Why are they all allowed to deface the desks? My students do it ALL THE TIME no matter how many times I tell them not to or make them clean it off after. Sometimes they even use permanent marker. >>

Offline Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4675 on: March 22, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
This makes me angry!

WASHINGTON — President Trump is poised in the coming days to announce his plans to dismantle the centerpiece of President Barack Obama’s climate change legacy, while also gutting several smaller but significant policies aimed at curbing global warming.

The moves are intended to send an unmistakable signal to the nation and the world that Mr. Trump intends to follow through on his campaign vows to rip apart every element of what the president has called Mr. Obama’s “stupid” policies to address climate change. The timing and exact form of the announcement remain unsettled, however.

The executive actions will follow the White House’s release last week of a proposed budget that would eliminate climate change research and prevention programs across the federal government and slash the Environmental Protection Agency’s budget by 31 percent, more than any other agency. Mr. Trump also announced last week that he had ordered Scott Pruitt, the E.P.A. administrator, to revise the agency’s stringent standards on planet-warming tailpipe pollution from vehicles, another of Mr. Obama’s key climate change policies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/climate/trump-climate-change.html

TL;DR: Trump iz bad 4 teh environment. ㅠ_ㅠ

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4676 on: March 22, 2017, 02:46:26 PM »
Thats one thing I don't understand. Why are they all allowed to deface the desks? My students do it ALL THE TIME no matter how many times I tell them not to or make them clean it off after. Sometimes they even use permanent marker. >>

The worst part is when you ask for the pens and markers back or try to tell them no they argue. (At least the elementary age kids do.)

And don't get me started on the shrieking.

EDIT: Bonus, my classroom is also the music room, so they love to come in and smash on the pianos and drums.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4677 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:26 PM »

처~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4678 on: March 22, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »

The worst part is when you ask for the pens and markers back or try to tell them no they argue. (At least the elementary age kids do.)

EDIT: Bonus, my classroom is also the music room, so they love to come in and smash on the pianos and drums.
Oh yeah, the high schoolers are basically the same.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4679 on: March 22, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »
Me, cruising the webs.

"Huh, a list of the top sit-coms of all time. Seinfeld better be number one."

opens link

#86 Family Ties.

"Alright, fair enough, wait..86? Jesus Christ."

Click here to see next slide

"I'm done."

closes window
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment