September 25, 2017, 05:00:31 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 490067 times)

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4500 on: March 14, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
For you, Dave Stepz.
No.

Why not, huh?

Yes, why not?  You don't have to go far to see his smug like weasal-face and to hear that he's opened something new and has his little weaselly chops plastered on a new brand item for him, adding to his total domination of everything ever in Korea.  They are not chefs anymore.  They are just faces on boxes.  However Baek Jong Won's weaselly face and his dire programs where he stuffs his weaselly chops with food takes the biscuit.  He wasn't a restaurant chef before anyway.   :evil:

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4501 on: March 14, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
"Tell me honestly, did you ACTUALLY go to church in America?"
"Yes. But it was different. We didn't go all day. We went from 10-12."
"And did your parents live together before they were married?"
"Yes."
"Oh, well good Christians don't do that."

...I'm really, really trying to work through what his possible thinking process could have been to think it was okay to say that to me. I have theories. But I'm way too talkative and this will turn into a novel no one cares about if I try to articulate. So. Just trust that I am super pissed.

Sometimes, you just need to laugh it off.

Ex CT of mine, who was a really kind person and who I'd consider a friend said "You're such a good person, it's too bad you're a Muslim". She also spent the better part of the year trying to convert me... Honestly, I found it pretty hilarious; she reminded me of those cartoons of grown men in giant mouse costumes dangling a piece of cheese near the mouse hole.

Yeah, I got the "I wish you would become a Christian so you could be saved" line a lot from a former coworker.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4502 on: March 14, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
Yesterday, I helped my CT pin up a nice large map, in our classroom. It was one of the Koreanized maps, with Korea in the center complete with  Dokdo and 'Sea of Korea' labelled in a bolder font than capital cities, but I digress.
There were a few other teachers in the class as we usually meet there, at 3, for coffee and conversation. We started playing a 'find the country' game. After giving her a few difficult and obscure ones, like Uzbekistan and Lithuania, and having her fail, I went easier:

Saudi Arabia
Sicily
Spain
Argentina
Greenland
Algeria
Iceland

... When she failed to find any of them, the other 2 teachers tried and couldn't find a single one.
I hid my shock by keeping the mood light and tried to help them save face by feigning ignorance to a few which they asked me to find (all Asian countries and ridiculously easy).
I'm no Geography whiz, but the level of Geography of fairly level-headed Koreans seems quite shocking. How can you go through life knowing so little about the outside world?

To be fair, ask your average North American where anything is, and most of them won't know, either.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4503 on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:27 PM »
Yesterday, I helped my CT pin up a nice large map, in our classroom. It was one of the Koreanized maps, with Korea in the center complete with  Dokdo and 'Sea of Korea' labelled in a bolder font than capital cities, but I digress.
There were a few other teachers in the class as we usually meet there, at 3, for coffee and conversation. We started playing a 'find the country' game. After giving her a few difficult and obscure ones, like Uzbekistan and Lithuania, and having her fail, I went easier:

Saudi Arabia
Sicily
Spain
Argentina
Greenland
Algeria
Iceland

... When she failed to find any of them, the other 2 teachers tried and couldn't find a single one.
I hid my shock by keeping the mood light and tried to help them save face by feigning ignorance to a few which they asked me to find (all Asian countries and ridiculously easy).
I'm no Geography whiz, but the level of Geography of fairly level-headed Koreans seems quite shocking. How can you go through life knowing so little about the outside world?

To be fair, ask your average North American where anything is, and most of them won't know, either.

I can find my way home, so that's something. hahaha
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4504 on: March 14, 2017, 12:04:06 PM »
"Yes."

...I'm really, really trying to work through what his possible thinking process could have been to think it was okay to say that to me. I have theories. But I'm way too talkative and this will turn into a novel no one cares about if I try to articulate. So. Just trust that I am super pissed.
Just laugh it off and reply that the Joseph and Mary -- literally God's own parents -- lived together a good long time before getting married.   :wink:

Also, you may not have noticed, but people here enjoy reading long, drawn out novels about other people's woes. Or at least I do. Write away! It's cathartic. :smiley:

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4505 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »
"Yes."

Just laugh it off and reply that the Joseph and Mary -- literally God's own parents -- lived together a good long time before getting married.   :wink:

Also, you may not have noticed, but people here enjoy reading long, drawn out novels about other people's woes. Or at least I do. Write away! It's cathartic. :smiley:

But they never had sex. Mary was ready for the second coming.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4506 on: March 14, 2017, 12:42:23 PM »
My travel school has decided to blare music of singing children over the loudspeaker system during break.... why.....  :cry: >:( :cry:

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4507 on: March 14, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
But they never had sex. Mary was ready for the second coming.
But what does sex have to do with living together? :huh: :angel:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:47:28 PM by kyndo »

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4508 on: March 14, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
What does sex have to do with living together? :huh: :angel:

You're so innocent.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4509 on: March 14, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »

You're so innocent.
Totes.
Oh, and while we're on this subject, I feel like this would be a great time for an out-of-context quote:
:P

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4510 on: March 14, 2017, 01:00:02 PM »
"Yes."

Well, Mary and Joseph tried to get a hotel room together one Christmas Eve.

:o

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4511 on: March 14, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »

Saudi Arabia
Sicily
Spain
Argentina
Greenland
Algeria
Iceland

One would hope a teacher who is tasked with educating our children would, though.
I can not imagine any of my teachers from Elementary through highschool not knowing  where those countries were on a map.
There are some real dumb dumbs in the classrooms here.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4512 on: March 14, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
"Yes."

Well, Mary and Joseph tried to get a hotel room together one Christmas Eve.

:o

Someone tell them about Manger Danger.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4513 on: March 14, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
I have to sympathise a little with your CTs not knowing where countries are on a map. 

Some people probably haven't properly looked at a map (and really taken it in) since they were at school so I don't think you can expect them to know the position of every single country.

I think those different nuggets of 'general knowledge' information we all have might not be as general to other people as they are to you.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4514 on: March 14, 2017, 01:31:35 PM »
My knowledge of geography has improved since coming to Korea, lol. It was okay before but NOW I can name, point out on a map, and correctly spell every single country in Europe and Africa. I also now know that there's a difference between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. xD

Some of the games I end up playing with the kids require me to know the answers prior.

I still haven't reached this level of mastery, though (warning: It's a vid).

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4515 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »

Saudi Arabia
Sicily
Spain
Argentina
Greenland
Algeria
Iceland

One would hope a teacher who is tasked with educating our children would, though.
I can not imagine any of my teachers from Elementary through highschool not knowing  where those countries were on a map.
There are some real dumb dumbs in the classrooms here.

The opposite side of this are foreign school elementary students.

My son and his buddies had a globe out one Sunday afternoon.

A bunch of 7-10 year olds saying " I lived there, and there, and there... and had holidays there, there, and there..."

Eastern Europe gives me some trouble because the map has changed since I was required to memorize it.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4516 on: March 14, 2017, 01:42:50 PM »
When I think of my school days, I don't remember being taught much geography.  Our classes focused mostly on North America and Europe. 

I do remember having to learn the capital cities of some European countries for a test, which I did and promptly forgot.

My 5th grade teacher, who was great,  brought school subjects together.  In our reading book, there would  be a short author bio.  She had a huge world map on a bulletin board and would call a student to find the author's home country and tell us what continent it was on. Then she'd place a stick pin on that country.  By the end of that year, there were several pins in that map.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #4517 on: March 14, 2017, 02:02:09 PM »

You're so innocent.
Totes.
Oh, and while we're on this subject, I feel like this would be a great time for an out-of-context quote:

Can you find West Areola?

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4518 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »

You're so innocent.
Totes.

Can you find West Areola?
Only if I know if she is facing north or south.  They are usually identified as left and right.

:)

Offline scpru

• Veteran
« Reply #4519 on: March 14, 2017, 04:52:43 PM »
Koreans are known for being blunt, and sometimes you do have to laugh it off, but I don't know. I think I have to draw the line at comments about my family. Usually I try to be the perfect picture of a happy-go-lucky foreigner, a "happy virus" as the Koreans call it, because I don't want to give all of us a bad name. But honestly, I also don't want to perpetuate a notion that you can say whatever you want to foreigners and get away with it. That's a separate rant in itself: how to not give people like you a bad name, while also not sacrificing your dignity/values. Have not figured that out yet.

But yeah. Went basically like this, if you wanted elaboration:

[Talking about differences in medicine culture because he's trying to tell me to go to the doctor for a simple stye... Lull in the conversation, and then]
Him: Tell me honestly, did you actually go to church in America?
Me: Yes. But it was different. We didn't go all day. We went from 10-12.
H: And did your parents live together before they were married?
M: Yes.
H: Oh, well good Christians don't do that.
M: [slipped into English because I was appalled] What?
H: Good Christians wait until after marriage to live together.
M: It doesn't say that in the Bible.
H: Huh? Bible? Ohhh-- Oh Bible... Well...
M: My parents are real Christians. Good Christians.
H: Oh...
[Awkward silence. He hits his thigh with his fist like he always does when he doesn't like the quiet.]
H: In Korea, Christians--
M: --are different. Because of the different cultures.
[More silence.]
M: Do you know Catholic?
H: Yes.
M: Do you know the Pope?
H: Pope? Pope... No, I don't know the Pope.
M: Ohhh. Okay.
[Then we had to go our separate ways anyway.]

Mind you... he had ample opportunity to tell me if I misunderstood, or if he didn't mean it in a bad way, didn't have ill intentions, etc. A simple "Wait, hold on, you're not understanding me--" would have made me write it all off as a language barrier thing. But he didn't.

Granted... I get that he's trying to "take care of" me. I really get it. But there's a line to be drawn there, too. I'm an adult. Yes, a young one, but still an adult. It'd be different if I was going out drinking to excess, ending up passed out in a bus shelter... Yeah, okay. Give me a lecture and try to change my ways, then. But plenty of people live together before getting married and are completely normal people, lead normal lives. It doesn't hurt anyone. It won't hurt me if it ever even happens. (Spoiler alert: I don't even have a boyfriend.) I'm not out here trying to change the Korean masses into co-habiting, sex-crazed fiends. (Which I've explained to him before it has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with wanting to make sure my s/o and I would be compatible living together.) It's really not his business in the first place, and disrespecting my parents in the pursuit of changing my mind makes me doubly annoyed.

Anyway. I'm probably going to act like it didn't happen, unless he decides to talk about it. (Doubt it. Saving face and all.) If he does, I'll just be honest and tell him I don't want to talk about the co-habiting topic anymore. That's reasonable enough. Avoid future issues and all, right?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:55:04 PM by scpru »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment