November 19, 2017, 09:14:14 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 563988 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4480 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:33 PM »
So, I ask the 4th grade teacher what happened to my printer. She tells me that the repair guy came to pick it up, last Friday, and it's being repaired. She doesn't know when I'll get a new one.

Since today was my writing lesson day, it was a giant pain in the ass that I couldn't print my worksheets before class. I had to run to each teacher's classroom and make prints just before each lesson. I ask if I may use her printer to make prints, before class... She says, no.
Confused at her bitchiness, I ask the 5th grade homeroom teacher.

On my way to the 5th grade HR teacher's class, I walk past the 4th grade teacher's empty class and realise why she didn't want me to use her printer. The damn cow had taken my printer, to replace her old one and obviously didn't want me to notice.

omg, so she just lied to you about it needing to be repaired? and you're just out a printer? the way some adults act...

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4481 on: March 21, 2017, 01:19:15 PM »
There is nothing wrong with their name. Their name is beautiful and it represents who they are. Korean people should not have to change their names or their naming practices to make westerners feel more comfortable. This is English class, not brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values class.

This is the most Mr. DeMartino thing ever.

Dying.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4482 on: March 21, 2017, 01:19:34 PM »
It isn't really to re-name and assimilate anybody, but to get them familiar with Anglo names.

Any Tom, Dick, or Harry should see that.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4483 on: March 21, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
I remember getting Spanish names in middle school Spanish class. It was so fun to pick them and use them for about a week, and then everyone forgot/went back to their real names. Thankfully we escaped serving our Latino masters!  :laugh:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4484 on: March 21, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »

Did you guys ever take language classes in grade school? Is my experience just that uncommon?

Nah, it's not that weird. You're not the only one. When I first started studying Korean I made a K-name for myself. It was a fun way to learn some  Korean names and maybe some of the Hanja meanings behind them. Do I go around introducing myself with my Korean name? Of course not. That's def cringey.

In my middle school classes I don't use English names because kids just used them as an excuse to come up with the most ridiculous names ever, a la "garlic" haha. So no to that. I don't think it's inherently "wrong" though as long as it's not forced. We're not working in residential schools in an effort to eradicate Korean culture here. They'll be fine if they're called Peter or Susie for 45 mins of light convo practice per week. No one should be forced to do it  though, of course.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4485 on: March 21, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
So, I ask the 4th grade teacher what happened to my printer. She tells me that the repair guy came to pick it up, last Friday, and it's being repaired. She doesn't know when I'll get a new one.

Since today was my writing lesson day, it was a giant pain in the ass that I couldn't print my worksheets before class. I had to run to each teacher's classroom and make prints just before each lesson. I ask if I may use her printer to make prints, before class... She says, no.
Confused at her bitchiness, I ask the 5th grade homeroom teacher.

On my way to the 5th grade HR teacher's class, I walk past the 4th grade teacher's empty class and realise why she didn't want me to use her printer. The damn cow had taken my printer, to replace her old one and obviously didn't want me to notice.
Steal it back.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4486 on: March 21, 2017, 01:30:46 PM »
There is nothing wrong with their name. Their name is beautiful and it represents who they are. Korean people should not have to change their names or their naming practices to make westerners feel more comfortable. This is English class, not brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values class.

This is the most Mr. DeMartino thing ever.

Dying.

Oh Mr. D. Never a dull moment.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline mbg121

• Waygookin
« Reply #4487 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »

I had a similar problem a few years back. After lunch I always felt so nauseous. Just lunch, dinner and breakfast were fine.  Turns out I was developing/had an ulcer, and that was the only symptom I presented with.  Started taking antacids and the problem went away.
Maybe try that and see how you feel. Or go to a doctor (probably better than following my anecdotal advice). Or maybe your poor waygookin body can't handle the superiority of Korean food, lol.

Thanks! That's actually a good question I should ask myself...considering my diet changed entirely AND I have been under incredible stress with moving here (as a naturally high anxiety type of person). Is there a specific antacid you take? I don't see how it would hurt me to take it sometimes just in case. I am not sure what's going on but school lunch did not always make me feel ill. So something changed.

I handle Korean food just fine outside of school though...in fact its all I eat when I go out.

Or perhaps its like what the other posters said...the food is just crap and the mystery meat in the oily sauce isn't sitting well. Today's lunch of bbq chicken, kimchi and tteok was just fine on my stomach. If I bring my food from home I'll have to ask not to be charged for school lunch monthly. That'll be a task to even accomplish :laugh: I have been asking to see the deductions from my salary every month since I started...no paperwork still..not a single statement. Might be worth it though not to feel ill after every lunch at school...

Offline shostager

• Veteran
« Reply #4488 on: March 21, 2017, 01:45:37 PM »
I remember getting Spanish names in middle school Spanish class. It was so fun to pick them and use them for about a week, and then everyone forgot/went back to their real names. Thankfully we escaped serving our Latino masters!  :laugh:

My class actually used our Spanish names pretty much consistently, even calling one student with an English nickname (her last name, since her first name was pretty common) the Spanish version of that name. I had the same "Spanish name" from 6th grade to college, where it FINALLY showed up in the textbook (Aurora is not common).

"Taco" was a forbidden name, though.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4489 on: March 21, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

Did you guys ever take language classes in grade school? Is my experience just that uncommon?

Nah, it's not that weird. You're not the only one. When I first started studying Korean I made a K-name for myself. It was a fun way to learn some  Korean names and maybe some of the Hanja meanings behind them. Do I go around introducing myself with my Korean name? Of course not. That's def cringey.

In my middle school classes I don't use English names because kids just used them as an excuse to come up with the most ridiculous names ever, a la "garlic" haha. So no to that. I don't think it's inherently "wrong" though as long as it's not forced. We're not working in residential schools in an effort to eradicate Korean culture here. They'll be fine if they're called Peter or Susie for 45 mins of light convo practice per week. No one should be forced to do it  though, of course.

In my high school, all the foreign language classes let you pick a foreign name.  It was just for fun, I never had an identity crisis or felt like I was being brainwashed.  I took Spanish for 2 years and each year there was a list of suggestions available though we could also ask to be called a name not on the list.  One year I was Ixtapa.  I rather liked that name. 

When I dabbled in Japanese in university, the professor called each of us by "Surname+san" and we would call her sensei. 

It's just an easy tactic for immersion which I think is fun.  At one middle school, the last KET had all the students (who wanted to) pick English names.  There were a few students who opted to just go by their Korean name but I also had some students declaring themselves things like "Lime" and "Ballzy."   :laugh:  I ended up learning both their Korean & English names and waffle betwixt without any student confusion. 

At the other middle school, my coT was adamantly opposed, saying that "Korean names were very important" and assumed I just wanted to give them English names because I couldn't learn the Korean ones.   :undecided:  :rolleyes:  My elementary coT never said as much but was very insistent on the importance of learning the kids' Korean names so I just didn't even bother bringing up the idea.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4490 on: March 21, 2017, 01:49:06 PM »
Korean names seem pretty modular to me.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4491 on: March 21, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »
"Hurr durr, you had to go and bring your opinions in here."

Yup, I have opinions. And I will share them. Feel free to ignore them.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4492 on: March 21, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »

My class actually used our Spanish names pretty much consistently, even calling one student with an English nickname (her last name, since her first name was pretty common) the Spanish version of that name. I had the same "Spanish name" from 6th grade to college, where it FINALLY showed up in the textbook (Aurora is not common).

I don't recall if "Taco" was forbidden at my school but one of my friends got away with "Nacho" as his Spanish name  :laugh:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4493 on: March 21, 2017, 01:58:54 PM »

I don't recall if "Taco" was forbidden at my school but one of my friends got away with "Nacho" as his Spanish name  :laugh:

It is legitimately a deminutive of Ignacio.

Offline defenderoftherealm

• Super Waygook
  • Unleash the gangster.
« Reply #4494 on: March 21, 2017, 02:05:03 PM »

When I dabbled in Japanese in university, the professor called each of us by "Surname+san" and we would call her sensei. 

I had this same experience when I studied Japanese too.  The foreign surnames sounded so strange in Japanese due to the writing system that we all had trouble trying to figure out each other's real name outside of the classroom to the point that we sometimes just kept referring to each other as we did in Japanese class.

There was this one guy referred to as Mary-san in my class.  I swore that his last name was Mary.  I found out later it was some Persion last name.  I think it was Miahrhi.  Another guy was walking around being called Curochu-san.  I just knew that his last name was Crotch.   :laugh: :laugh:  I never got around to asking him his real name.  I had a real good friend that was called fun-san.  I started calling him tanoshi-san instead.  Four months latter I found out his last name was Fung.  I have a slight American accent and I am sure the sensei found me screwing up everyone's names slightly comical and she never corrected me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:07:28 PM by defenderoftherealm »

Offline elsbethm

• Adventurer
« Reply #4495 on: March 21, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »
...Started taking antacids and the problem went away. ...

I have been keeping an eye open for Tums or Rolaids, but I haven't seen any. What are the local brands?

I can't really help you there. I stockpiled a bunch when I came over. You could try generic names; Famotidine (Pepcid) and ranitidine (Zantac) are antacid/GERD drugs and shouldn't require a prescription, calcium-carbonate chews (Tums), milk of  magnesia (Pepto). Or try to hunt down the name brands in Seoul.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4496 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
Seriously, it's completely bizarre to me that it'd be characterized as " brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values." It's just learning a new language and getting a language-appropriate name to use in that class.
It's not you. DeMartino has a few....issues.
As you said, every language class I've been in has done the "choose a name in _______ and use it in class" thing.
Obviously forcing names on kids and punishing them etc is stupid. But that is common sense. Unfortunately there are idiots working in this country who have done that, or idiots like Steelrails who are bitter about foreigners being in Korea and will accuse them of cultural imperialism and "brainwashing". The rest of the normal people dont care either way.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4497 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:49 PM »
...Started taking antacids and the problem went away. ...

I have been keeping an eye open for Tums or Rolaids, but I haven't seen any. What are the local brands?

I can't really help you there. I stockpiled a bunch when I came over. You could try generic names; Famotidine (Pepcid) and ranitidine (Zantac) are antacid/GERD drugs and shouldn't require a prescription, calcium-carbonate chews (Tums), milk of  magnesia (Pepto). Or try to hunt down the name brands in Seoul.

Thanks.

I did find Zantac here, but I am looking for something quick for when I get 3 cups of coffee before eating anything.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4498 on: March 21, 2017, 02:37:26 PM »
It is part of the official English curriculum at my school.

Grade 6 English books introduce "nicknames" to the class.

From first grade, students are given the option to use their English nicknames during English class (I was surprised by the number of students who had English nicknames, not to be confused with English names).

There is no pressure, and the upside of having a nickname in the target language is pretty well understood by most educators.

I'm with Mr. Tim on this.

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4499 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »
Seriously, it's completely bizarre to me that it'd be characterized as " brainwashing you to serve western masters and adopt their values." It's just learning a new language and getting a language-appropriate name to use in that class.
It's not you. DeMartino has a few....issues.
As you said, every language class I've been in has done the "choose a name in _______ and use it in class" thing.
Obviously forcing names on kids and punishing them etc is stupid. But that is common sense. Unfortunately there are idiots working in this country who have done that, or idiots like Steelrails who are bitter about foreigners being in Korea and will accuse them of cultural imperialism and "brainwashing". The rest of the normal people dont care either way.

While I agree that it's not such a big deal to chose an English-speaker name, I also don't see how there's any point or reason to choose a "language-appropriate" name. Most of us, when we travel, we don't just pick a name from that country and use it, we teach the people there how to say our name. Since most English-speakers' names tend to be derived from some other language anyway, I can't really understand the justification for choosing English-speaker names as a learning tool.