September 27, 2017, 03:25:58 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492532 times)

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4400 on: March 06, 2017, 08:31:53 PM »

I understand the blowback for this, I do, but there are a tonne of tribes in Africa who still live like this. It's not false information. I'm not sure what the solution is, put everyone is a 3 piece suit?

Not giving them all gigantic pickaninny caricature lips would be a good place to start.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4401 on: March 06, 2017, 09:08:05 PM »

I understand the blowback for this, I do, but there are a tonne of tribes in Africa who still live like this. It's not false information. I'm not sure what the solution is, put everyone is a 3 piece suit?

Not giving them all gigantic pickaninny caricature lips would be a good place to start.

Ah, yeah, fair play. Didn't catch that on my cursory glance.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4402 on: March 06, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »
I don't really follow why you are opposed to "stereotyping"?

It is very useful, like categorizing, generalizing, etc. and helpful.

Obviously, it isn't always going to be accurate, but it will do the job in a pinch.

Walk into a room, glance around, easy.

What's wrong with stereotyping?
At gym, in the middle of a set, concentrating on my form and have headphones on. Guy decides to begin a conversation and practice his English. I gesture that I'm busy and he stares at me, persists and I decide to ignore him. He begins shouting at me, causing a bit of a ruckus. I continue ignoring him and eventually he goes away. One of the other chaps tells me that he thought I was being rude by not responding because all westerners are supposed to be 'friendly' and enjoy small talk.

Or how about the stories of Korean guys harassing and groping western ladies since western women are supposed to be easy?

How about hagwon owners not hiring black folks because the parents believe only blonde haired, blue eyed folks are able to speak English?

I understand your point, but young kids (not just Koreans) will think in very binary terms until you show them otherwise and if you encourage it, well... most of us can testify how that ends up. 

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4403 on: March 06, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
I remember a few great Korean stereotypes: guys with tattoos, women who smoke, children from divorced parents, etc.

Nothing kind was said about the above and they were to be avoided (not marriage material).

Again, it wasn't always accurate, but it was "wise" advice.

A US equivalent would be girls with tramp stamps...not 100% accurate, but close enough ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:58:12 PM by Pecan »

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4404 on: March 07, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »
Just got to my Tuesday school.

- Computer has been removed
- All textbooks have been removed
- Aircon control is missing
- Half the desks aren't here
- CT transferred and the HR teacher who's now in charge of relaying messages to me hasn't
  contacted me with the new schedule. I don't have the HR's teacher number either or know who
  this person is.
- Nobody else speaks English at this school

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4405 on: March 07, 2017, 10:52:24 AM »
That is the last time I grind and make the filter coffee.  'It's too dark', they complained.  Usually the colour of the coffee is a very light shade of light brown.  The teachers in my teachers' room have zero idea about coffee.  I guess I just have to live with that. 

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4406 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
Okay so this has been bugging me for a while:

Does anyone else get those "Don't you find it difficult...?" or "Don't you think it's...?" questions?  Basically, an indirect way for the other person to express their opinion?

I am admittedly woeful at picking up hints, in part because I just really value directness. But this burns my biscuit a bit because, I feel like they're trying to tell me something but instead of coming out and saying it, the onus is on me to be like OH YEAH I TOTALLY FIND THIS IMPOSSIBLE LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I never know what to do aside from tell the truth. Which usually goes against whatever it is I suspect they want me to say.  :undecided:

Offline gagevt

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Expert Waygook
  • "The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives"
« Reply #4407 on: March 07, 2017, 11:24:44 AM »
Just got to my Tuesday school.

- Computer has been removed
- All textbooks have been removed
- Aircon control is missing
- Half the desks aren't here
- CT transferred and the HR teacher who's now in charge of relaying messages to me hasn't
  contacted me with the new schedule. I don't have the HR's teacher number either or know who
  this person is.
- Nobody else speaks English at this school

Sounds to me like a day where you just wait around until someone gives you some direction. They tell you this is where you'll be teaching and then you simply ask, "with what?". then after some time scrambling around, they tell you, just rest for today as there will be no English class. We will have class starting next week ^^
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4408 on: March 07, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »
I really want to rant about stuff in my province but I feel like there might be little spies and I'll get exiled to some little village when re-sign time comes around.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:22:59 PM by Pennypie »

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4409 on: March 07, 2017, 12:23:47 PM »
Is your real name penny?

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4410 on: March 07, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
Is your real name penny?

Yes? (Throwing them off the scent  :laugh: )

Naaah but sometimes I feel like its not hard to guess who people are if you live in the same area.  I used to have my real name on here but changed it.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4411 on: March 07, 2017, 12:31:37 PM »
Okay so this has been bugging me for a while:

Does anyone else get those "Don't you find it difficult...?" or "Don't you think it's...?" questions?  Basically, an indirect way for the other person to express their opinion?

I am admittedly woeful at picking up hints, in part because I just really value directness. But this burns my biscuit a bit because, I feel like they're trying to tell me something but instead of coming out and saying it, the onus is on me to be like OH YEAH I TOTALLY FIND THIS IMPOSSIBLE LET'S DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

I never know what to do aside from tell the truth. Which usually goes against whatever it is I suspect they want me to say.  :undecided:
     I usually just gush about how awesome my activity/project/worksheet is, which tends to prevent this kind of indirect commentary. If they think my stuff needs to be changed, they need to explicitly say so.

Luckily my stuff usually *is* awesome, so the issue is kinda moot.   :laugh:

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4412 on: March 07, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »
Did you know the HiKorea immigration website doesn't work on any browser other than IE but also not the latest version of IE? Also, it's been overloaded with traffic all day.

I've been trying to do something simple since 7am... it's almost as if they don't want us to be able to file simple applications.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4413 on: March 07, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
I remember a few great Korean stereotypes: guys with tattoos, women who smoke, children from divorced parents, etc.

Nothing kind was said about the above and they were to be avoided (not marriage material).

Again, it wasn't always accurate, but it was "wise" advice.

A US equivalent would be girls with tramp stamps...not 100% accurate, but close enough ;)

Ok Pecan  :rolleyes:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4414 on: March 07, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
Did you know the HiKorea immigration website doesn't work on any browser other than IE but also not the latest version of IE? Also, it's been overloaded with traffic all day.

I've been trying to do something simple since 7am... it's almost as if they don't want us to be able to file simple applications.

... such as make a (mandatory) reservation for a visa renewal application drop-off.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #4415 on: March 07, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »

The fact that it's so habitual to refer to Koreans and 'foreigners,' which essentially is a catchall for all the literal billions of other people in the world who aren't one of 35ish million Koreans, is ridiculous.

AI is worse than I thought.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4416 on: March 07, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
I really want to rant about stuff in my province but I feel like there might be little spies and I'll get exiled to some little village when re-sign time comes around.  >:(

This is not an unreasonable fear. I once had to change my profile on here for this exact reason.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4417 on: March 07, 2017, 03:54:16 PM »
You could do what Koreans do and refer to people who aren't like you as foreigners, no matter the location.

I'm thinking of this.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. ďMan, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.Ē
-AP

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4418 on: March 07, 2017, 04:12:21 PM »

This is not an unreasonable fear. I once had to change my profile on here for this exact reason.

I wasn't always CO2 either............................
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4419 on: March 07, 2017, 04:29:47 PM »

the english version of the site is barely functional. if you're struggling to get the site to work you basically have to use the korean version.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment