September 20, 2017, 12:31:19 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481849 times)

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #440 on: July 29, 2016, 04:11:57 PM »
Heat index of 38 and a UV Index of 9 here today,  helppppp. Melting

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #441 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »
So I survived week 1 of summer camp...but then there's next week. T____T  :sad:

That's how I feel right now... except my first week isn't over yet... :cry: I still have the afternoon class for two hours. :cry: :cry: :cry:

me too  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

me four

.......... I have another week of camp and then a week of advanced camp.

WTF is advanced camp?

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #442 on: July 29, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »

That's how I feel right now... except my first week isn't over yet... :cry: I still have the afternoon class for two hours. :cry: :cry: :cry:

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

WTF is right. It's where all of the advanced (but not really, because anyone was allowed to sign up if they were willing to "work hard") 5th and 6th graders have a week of camp, basically. I don't know why it's called advanced camp. I'm supposed to lead discussions with them but they barely know how to introduce themselves.... so.... I don't know.

If I'm being honest, I think it's my school's desperate attempt at justifying deskwarming. They should still let me go home in the afternoons though. I'm teaching more than anyone I know and I also have fewer privileges. I feel like EPIK screwed me over.

Offline Athena

• Explorer
« Reply #443 on: July 29, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

WTF is right. It's where all of the advanced (but not really, because anyone was allowed to sign up if they were willing to "work hard") 5th and 6th graders have a week of camp, basically. I don't know why it's called advanced camp. I'm supposed to lead discussions with them but they barely know how to introduce themselves.... so.... I don't know.

If I'm being honest, I think it's my school's desperate attempt at justifying deskwarming. They should still let me go home in the afternoons though. I'm teaching more than anyone I know and I also have fewer privileges. I feel like EPIK screwed me over.

To be honest, it just feels like it gets worse as the years go on. Camps and desk warming were non-mandatory years back, but then made mandatory. Then they stopped paying over time for camp (except the Korean teachers still get paid over time). Then they cut out the renewal bonus recently. Funny part is that they made the application requirements stricter. Office of Education just gives 0 shits, and the fact desk warming is still mandatory despite no benefit just shows they're bitter lol

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #444 on: July 29, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

To be honest, it just feels like it gets worse as the years go on. Camps and desk warming were non-mandatory years back, but then made mandatory. Then they stopped paying over time for camp (except the Korean teachers still get paid over time). Then they cut out the renewal bonus recently. Funny part is that they made the application requirements stricter. Office of Education just gives 0 shits, and the fact desk warming is still mandatory despite no benefit just shows they're bitter lol

I actually asked my co-teacher about going home after lunch because there is literally.... nothing.... to.... do. And *horrible* construction at my school. And she told me I couldn't because the DMOE sent out a "memo" about us staying until 4:30.

• Veteran
« Reply #445 on: July 29, 2016, 06:02:29 PM »
I JUST WANNA GO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #446 on: July 29, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
Why do they even call it camp? It's not camp, no one is sleeping anywhere, and for the most part I'm sure the schools and parents don't really want the kids to have fun.

They really should just call them Summer school, or Winter school.

Apparently, once upon a time, well before I started, there were actual camps. The camping element then got cut but the name stuck in Korean because words don't have meanings.

Oh yeah, rant: Phone battery, Korean customs, grr...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:15:33 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #447 on: July 30, 2016, 01:10:04 AM »

They're riding on the coattails of their old reputation.  It'll only last so long. :rolleyes:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #448 on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:44 AM »
Kids didn't understand a simple part of my game because my coteacher that is here to supervise was in a different room the whole time.  They actually said "We need Korean teacher".  No kidding.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #449 on: August 01, 2016, 11:59:03 AM »
Well here goes, week 2 of summer camp.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #450 on: August 01, 2016, 12:35:42 PM »
Kids didn't understand a simple part of my game because my coteacher that is here to supervise was in a different room the whole time.  They actually said "We need Korean teacher".  No kidding.

There aren't even any Korean teachers currently at my school and I've been teaching 1st grade for the very first time without a coteacher. It has been such a struggle. I feel like they've taught me more Korean than I have taught them English  :laugh:

• Veteran
« Reply #451 on: August 01, 2016, 01:17:19 PM »
One of my second grader's parents is in the room right now with a toddler. I don't know what to do..... ignore them?? The kids are just coloring and watching Inside Out. I feel like I should be teaching or something. She's just hovering around her child watching her color.

Gasian

« Reply #452 on: August 01, 2016, 02:06:41 PM »
Week 2 of camp. Advanced Grade 3's and 4's done for the day. CT translated EVERY god damn thing I said and also explained everything in the longest detail in Korean. I would say a  two word sentence "cut here" (show them), then she spends what seems like an eternity explaining "cut here" in Korean. I had to tell her to stop. Just stop. It is English camp. I think they understand "cut" and "glue". That is all they had to know today. Why are you translating and explaining everything in Korean over and over.

**** sakes.

And also, common sense. There is none. None. Yes it is instant super glue, I have explained this. Why would you hold your finger to the glue. It is to be used to put two surfaces together..... *so much shock and horror at finger glued to paper, more freaking out as the glue heats up (I stifled a giggle, but it appeared as a smug wtf across my face)..... why didn't you just use the paper glue, or the craft glue, or the glue stick... my god there are 4 other types of glue in the classroom, you choose the super glue.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #453 on: August 01, 2016, 02:48:31 PM »
I tried to make slime over the weekend to see if it would work in camp, and it worked really well  for me, but the shop didn't have enough of the glue that I used, so I just got the bottles next to it figuring they would be basically the same thing. Tried it in class today and it failed miserably. Serves me right for not testing the other glue I suppose.
Also only 4 of 10 3rd graders showed up. Why did their parents sign them up if they weren't even going to come? Those spots could have gone to the students that wanted to be here.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #454 on: August 01, 2016, 06:37:41 PM »
My turn!

Camp sucks, but it's my fault for trying to take it seriously when no one else does. I feel a lot of pressure from my co-teachers to make it educational when they ask me about my plans, so then I just end up with useless PPTs and packets and rowdy students (the ones who show up anyway) whose parents don't even bother bringing them to school on time.

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #455 on: August 01, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
What do you do when a co-teacher accuses you of things that aren't true?

She'll say that I said "XYZ" when I NEVER said them...

Annoying is starting to become an understatement. I understand that I need to adopt to other's idiosyncrasies but this behavior is borderline disrespectful....

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #456 on: August 01, 2016, 11:49:37 PM »
LaChaca I think a lot of Korean coteachers have mental issues that cause them to accuse people of really odd and strange things. I'm not sure why it seems so common here.

There just seems to be a very lose grip on reality here by people who are able to convince them self that their own lies are true.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »

Annoying is starting to become an understatement. I understand that I need to adopt to other's idiosyncrasies but this behavior is borderline disrespectful....

It depends what they are saying. If its just water off a ducks back let it slide. It also depends on the individual. If they are well respected it will be worse then if everyone else knows they are cray cray.

If it ever becomes an issue bring in a third party and explain  that ths individual is misunderstanding what you said. That should be sufficiently embarrassing to make them never mention you again.

Gasian

« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

It depends what they are saying. If its just water off a ducks back let it slide. It also depends on the individual. If they are well respected it will be worse then if everyone else knows they are cray cray.

If it ever becomes an issue bring in a third party and explain  that ths individual is misunderstanding what you said. That should be sufficiently embarrassing to make them never mention you again.

I have this quite often. I put it down to the need to protect their own asses. The 'misunderstanding' excuse is often used as the reasoning, and I too have now learned to just use it too. There is just always a lot of 'misunderstanding'. I hear you though, and yes, it is just very annoying and it is not always big things, just an accumulation of a lot of small things. I never said that, you never said that, I told you xxx, You never told me xxx etc... I get it.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2016, 01:09:07 PM »
I wrote a long screed about the various issues with camp, which was actually my best ever, before settling on this key tidbit: I often suspect that my colleagues inability to communicate effectively in English is projected onto me as a personal failure for which I bear the ultimate responsibility.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment