November 22, 2017, 11:55:39 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 568517 times)

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #440 on: August 01, 2016, 10:17:19 AM »
One of my second grader's parents is in the room right now with a toddler. I don't know what to do..... ignore them?? The kids are just coloring and watching Inside Out. I feel like I should be teaching or something. She's just hovering around her child watching her color.

Gasian

« Reply #441 on: August 01, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »
Week 2 of camp. Advanced Grade 3's and 4's done for the day. CT translated EVERY god damn thing I said and also explained everything in the longest detail in Korean. I would say a  two word sentence "cut here" (show them), then she spends what seems like an eternity explaining "cut here" in Korean. I had to tell her to stop. Just stop. It is English camp. I think they understand "cut" and "glue". That is all they had to know today. Why are you translating and explaining everything in Korean over and over.

**** sakes.

And also, common sense. There is none. None. Yes it is instant super glue, I have explained this. Why would you hold your finger to the glue. It is to be used to put two surfaces together..... *so much shock and horror at finger glued to paper, more freaking out as the glue heats up (I stifled a giggle, but it appeared as a smug wtf across my face)..... why didn't you just use the paper glue, or the craft glue, or the glue stick... my god there are 4 other types of glue in the classroom, you choose the super glue.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #442 on: August 01, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
I tried to make slime over the weekend to see if it would work in camp, and it worked really well  for me, but the shop didn't have enough of the glue that I used, so I just got the bottles next to it figuring they would be basically the same thing. Tried it in class today and it failed miserably. Serves me right for not testing the other glue I suppose.
Also only 4 of 10 3rd graders showed up. Why did their parents sign them up if they weren't even going to come? Those spots could have gone to the students that wanted to be here.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #443 on: August 01, 2016, 03:37:41 PM »
My turn!

Camp sucks, but it's my fault for trying to take it seriously when no one else does. I feel a lot of pressure from my co-teachers to make it educational when they ask me about my plans, so then I just end up with useless PPTs and packets and rowdy students (the ones who show up anyway) whose parents don't even bother bringing them to school on time.

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #444 on: August 01, 2016, 04:11:30 PM »
What do you do when a co-teacher accuses you of things that aren't true?

She'll say that I said "XYZ" when I NEVER said them...

Annoying is starting to become an understatement. I understand that I need to adopt to other's idiosyncrasies but this behavior is borderline disrespectful....

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #445 on: August 01, 2016, 08:49:37 PM »
LaChaca I think a lot of Korean coteachers have mental issues that cause them to accuse people of really odd and strange things. I'm not sure why it seems so common here.

There just seems to be a very lose grip on reality here by people who are able to convince them self that their own lies are true.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #446 on: August 02, 2016, 07:40:55 AM »

Annoying is starting to become an understatement. I understand that I need to adopt to other's idiosyncrasies but this behavior is borderline disrespectful....

It depends what they are saying. If its just water off a ducks back let it slide. It also depends on the individual. If they are well respected it will be worse then if everyone else knows they are cray cray.

If it ever becomes an issue bring in a third party and explain  that ths individual is misunderstanding what you said. That should be sufficiently embarrassing to make them never mention you again.

Gasian

« Reply #447 on: August 02, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »

It depends what they are saying. If its just water off a ducks back let it slide. It also depends on the individual. If they are well respected it will be worse then if everyone else knows they are cray cray.

If it ever becomes an issue bring in a third party and explain  that ths individual is misunderstanding what you said. That should be sufficiently embarrassing to make them never mention you again.

I have this quite often. I put it down to the need to protect their own asses. The 'misunderstanding' excuse is often used as the reasoning, and I too have now learned to just use it too. There is just always a lot of 'misunderstanding'. I hear you though, and yes, it is just very annoying and it is not always big things, just an accumulation of a lot of small things. I never said that, you never said that, I told you xxx, You never told me xxx etc... I get it.

Offline robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #448 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:07 AM »
I wrote a long screed about the various issues with camp, which was actually my best ever, before settling on this key tidbit: I often suspect that my colleagues inability to communicate effectively in English is projected onto me as a personal failure for which I bear the ultimate responsibility.

Gasian

« Reply #449 on: August 02, 2016, 10:15:29 AM »
I wrote a long screed about the various issues with camp, which was actually my best ever, before settling on this key tidbit: I often suspect that my colleagues inability to communicate effectively in English is projected onto me as a personal failure for which I bear the ultimate responsibility.

yes.

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #450 on: August 02, 2016, 11:27:41 AM »

This person has an advanced level of English so she can't misinterpret my words. She'll do this about things that need to get done. For example:

Me: "xx, I'm doing the lesson plan for Class A. How many units in the reading book do they need to finish this session?"
Her: I'll do it because I need to figure it out.
A week later...
Her (opens up lesson plan and sees that there are no reading pages on lesson plan)
"You said you were going to put the pages in?"
Me: "no, I asked you how many units they needed to finish. You said, 'I'll do it bcuz I need to figure it out."

WTF...

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #451 on: August 02, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
The thread on the main page that says "Plans for the future" freaks me out so much I don't even like looking at the title, let alone the thought of reading it.  If that was something on my facebook feed I would've hidden it the second I saw it.

Gasian

« Reply #452 on: August 02, 2016, 01:57:52 PM »
The thread on the main page that says "Plans for the future" freaks me out so much I don't even like looking at the title, let alone the thought of reading it.  If that was something on my facebook feed I would've hidden it the second I saw it.

OMG I had the same reaction! I immediately went into a panic response of  "Stop stop I don't know, what's with all the pressure!!!"

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #453 on: August 02, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »

Same. I'm doomed.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #454 on: August 02, 2016, 02:20:11 PM »

This person has an advanced level of English so she can't misinterpret my words. She'll do this about things that need to get done. For example:

Me: "xx, I'm doing the lesson plan for Class A. How many units in the reading book do they need to finish this session?"
A week later...
Her (opens up lesson plan and sees that there are no reading pages on lesson plan)
Me: "no, I asked you how many units they needed to finish. You said, 'I'll do it bcuz I need to figure it out."

WTF...

If there is a miscommunication while using English it is always their fault. No one will say it but everyone and their dog knows it. Hence the third party I mentioned causing embarrassment.

A potential solution to your problem. Do all planning and discussions through messenger. That way there is a back up of what they said. I have three CTs and we sit in a square. I could turn around and tap them on the soldier to discuss lesson plans. I always use messenger. I've also never had a problem like you described. (I of course only use it for planning. Not small talk or personal stuff.)

It is considered mildly rude though. But so is defending yourself against others incompetence. Take your pick.

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #455 on: August 02, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »

A week later...

WTF...

If there is a miscommunication while using English it is always their fault. No one will say it but everyone and their dog knows it. Hence the third party I mentioned causing embarrassment.

A potential solution to your problem. Do all planning and discussions through messenger. That way there is a back up of what they said. I have three CTs and we sit in a square. I could turn around and tap them on the soldier to discuss lesson plans. I always use messenger. I've also never had a problem like you described. (I of course only use it for planning. Not small talk or personal stuff.)

It is considered mildly rude though. But so is defending yourself against others incompetence. Take your pick.

Although I'm a fan of your messenger idea, my school doesn't have it and they're not welcoming to "new ideas."

Question: can the situation (re:lesson plan) I posted above be seen as miscommunication? I would like to assume that a person has good intentions but how can a person go from "I'll do it to 'you said you were going to do it?'"

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #456 on: August 02, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
 >:(It's too hot. The fan keeps blowing my papers and hair everywhere (even when tied up). The sight of bugs is making my skin crawl BUT 1 more hour and then vacation starts!  8)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2016, 03:29:50 PM »

OMG I had the same reaction! I immediately went into a panic response of  "Stop stop I don't know, what's with all the pressure!!!"
That actually makes me feel so much better.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »

A week later...

WTF...

Although I'm a fan of your messenger idea, my school doesn't have it and they're not welcoming to "new ideas."

Question: can the situation (re:lesson plan) I posted above be seen as miscommunication? I would like to assume that a person has good intentions but how can a person go from "I'll do it to 'you said you were going to do it?'"

As a general rule I stick to;

Once is never. Twice is always.

If it happened once meh whatever. Benefit of the doubt. If it happens twice (or more) you should maintain constant vigilance with that individual.

As for the exact words she used. She could have meant she would look into it and you should get back to her later. (Ie. She meant she had no idea not that she would do it.)

Don't sweat it too much though.

Offline LaChaca

• Veteran
« Reply #459 on: August 02, 2016, 03:53:56 PM »

A week later...

WTF...

As a general rule I stick to;

Once is never. Twice is always.

If it happened once meh whatever. Benefit of the doubt. If it happens twice (or more) you should maintain constant vigilance with that individual.

As for the exact words she used. She could have meant she would look into it and you should get back to her later. (Ie. She meant she had no idea not that she would do it.)

Don't sweat it too much though.

How can "I'll do it because I need to figure it out" be taken as "I'm not going to do it"?

Better yet, how can "I'll do it" NOT be interpreted as "I'm going to do it"?

I understand where one can think that she didn't know at the time ("I have to figure it out") but since I was talking about putting reading pages on the lesson plan, "do it" clearly refers to that. Therefore, "I'll do it" means "I'll put the pages on the lesson plan." Is that not a logical interpretation of those words?

My bad for ranting but this person doesn't know how to address issues so she'll accuse me of things; she's done it 3 times and it's annoying. She makes an effort to talk to me in an impertinent way but kindly talks to the other FTs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 04:05:18 PM by LaChaca »