December 17, 2017, 02:35:43 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601150 times)

Online JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4380 on: March 21, 2017, 08:13:29 PM »
I've always thought to concept of changing ones name to be kind of odd. I never liked the idea of forcing them to do it (which my one CT did).

Some of my CTs were all for it. Others were a firm no. A lot of my students who initially had English names in lower level grades switched back to Korean later on. It took some practice but I did it.

My future BIL is Korean and I actually don't know his real name. He just won't use it.

It might be embarrassing.  I met a guy named BumSuk once.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4381 on: March 21, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »
I've always thought to concept of changing ones name to be kind of odd. I never liked the idea of forcing them to do it (which my one CT did).

Some of my CTs were all for it. Others were a firm no. A lot of my students who initially had English names in lower level grades switched back to Korean later on. It took some practice but I did it.

My future BIL is Korean and I actually don't know his real name. He just won't use it.

Ha, funny story. That my cousins name. My BIL is named Eunsuk. Admittedly those are one of those unfortunate cases where it might actually be a good idea.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4382 on: March 22, 2017, 09:16:23 AM »

I was dating a guy whose name was Geum Suk, hard G sound. Since I was pretty new to Korean, it was a particularly difficult name to make sound right.

So, I ask the 4th grade teacher what happened to my printer. She tells me that the repair guy came to pick it up, last Friday, and it's being repaired. She doesn't know when I'll get a new one.

Since today was my writing lesson day, it was a giant pain in the ass that I couldn't print my worksheets before class. I had to run to each teacher's classroom and make prints just before each lesson. I ask if I may use her printer to make prints, before class... She says, no.
Confused at her bitchiness, I ask the 5th grade homeroom teacher.

On my way to the 5th grade HR teacher's class, I walk past the 4th grade teacher's empty class and realise why she didn't want me to use her printer. The damn cow had taken my printer, to replace her old one and obviously didn't want me to notice.
Steal it back.
I had a little folding legs dinner table go missing from my room over winter vacation last year. The school had brought in workers over the break to fix some things, so I thought one of them took it. I tried asking around at the admin to see if they could contact the workers, and also asked my co-teacher to ask the other teachers about it. No one knew anything.

Fast forward a year, and I'm walking in the halls after getting back from vacation and I see that one of the teachers who said she didn't know anything about my missing table had taken it. I stole it back.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4383 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30:55 AM »
Just had an enormously frustrating moment. Asked my Grade 5's if they knew the game hangman. *blank stares*, so I say ok I will show you. I draw one line on the board as the first letter of a word and the students start shouting for the KET, before I have even had a chance to draw the second line.

I hadn't even started to explain. Give me fu--ing 5 seconds man! I told my KET that I didn't need his help and half way through the review I introduced hangman following a process of how do you spell that? Can you guess this word? Tell me the alphabet letters. I draw the hangman as we go. (Which was exactly how I was going to introduce it ANYWAY! One minute tops of showing how the game works and boom, full understanding without any translation in under a goddamn minute).

I am not mad at the students or CT. I am mad at whoever taught these kids that it is okay to scream for a korean translation before even giving the GET time to show anything. I'm mad at spoon feeding.
I'm mad that this school made me do 38 80 minute full lesson plans for the entire year's after school program and had me do it in 2 days. They told me to email it by yesterday lunch, I did. Then get told to send by cool messenger this morning - so I did. Then I get a phone call to say bring it to me on your usb. My usb is in the classroom set up for a lesson in less than 2 minutes. You can just damn wait.  I'm mad at the world!

I am mad that I signed on for another year of this crap. (okay but only because of this school, my other schools are awesome).

I'm grumpy. Overreacting. Maybe I need a snickers.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4384 on: March 22, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Whenever break time rolls around students always invade my classroom and start running around and screaming and scribbling all over my boards wasting my pens. Thank god it's my last day of classes. I'll miss the little brats but not their crazy antics.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4385 on: March 22, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
Whenever break time rolls around students always invade my classroom and start running around and screaming and scribbling all over my boards wasting my pens. Thank god it's my last day of classes. I'll miss the little brats but not their crazy antics.
Thats one thing I don't understand. Why are they all allowed to deface the desks? My students do it ALL THE TIME no matter how many times I tell them not to or make them clean it off after. Sometimes they even use permanent marker. >>

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4386 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:45 AM »
This makes me angry!

WASHINGTON — President Trump is poised in the coming days to announce his plans to dismantle the centerpiece of President Barack Obama’s climate change legacy, while also gutting several smaller but significant policies aimed at curbing global warming.

The moves are intended to send an unmistakable signal to the nation and the world that Mr. Trump intends to follow through on his campaign vows to rip apart every element of what the president has called Mr. Obama’s “stupid” policies to address climate change. The timing and exact form of the announcement remain unsettled, however.

The executive actions will follow the White House’s release last week of a proposed budget that would eliminate climate change research and prevention programs across the federal government and slash the Environmental Protection Agency’s budget by 31 percent, more than any other agency. Mr. Trump also announced last week that he had ordered Scott Pruitt, the E.P.A. administrator, to revise the agency’s stringent standards on planet-warming tailpipe pollution from vehicles, another of Mr. Obama’s key climate change policies.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/21/climate/trump-climate-change.html

TL;DR: Trump iz bad 4 teh environment. ㅠ_ㅠ

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4387 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:26 AM »
Thats one thing I don't understand. Why are they all allowed to deface the desks? My students do it ALL THE TIME no matter how many times I tell them not to or make them clean it off after. Sometimes they even use permanent marker. >>

The worst part is when you ask for the pens and markers back or try to tell them no they argue. (At least the elementary age kids do.)

And don't get me started on the shrieking.

EDIT: Bonus, my classroom is also the music room, so they love to come in and smash on the pianos and drums.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #4388 on: March 22, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »

처~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4389 on: March 22, 2017, 11:56:09 AM »

The worst part is when you ask for the pens and markers back or try to tell them no they argue. (At least the elementary age kids do.)

EDIT: Bonus, my classroom is also the music room, so they love to come in and smash on the pianos and drums.
Oh yeah, the high schoolers are basically the same.

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4390 on: March 22, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Me, cruising the webs.

"Huh, a list of the top sit-coms of all time. Seinfeld better be number one."

opens link

#86 Family Ties.

"Alright, fair enough, wait..86? Jesus Christ."

Click here to see next slide

"I'm done."

closes window

Online sweetkat

• Veteran
« Reply #4391 on: March 22, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
i left korea a year and 3 months ago, my husband left Korea 9 months ago.  And all i've heard him do since he arrived in China is bitch about how great Korea was.  Sure it was.  He had a job he hadn't had a raise in four years, no vacation, no benefits, no pension.  He had a wife who chaufferred him around even though he knew how much she hated driving, and especially hated driving in Korea.  And a workplace who thinks he's God.  Now, he has a job with vacation, pension, more money, cheaper and newer apartment.  But he gripes about how great Korea is and how horrible China is.  Me, the loving wife, hated Korea 6 of the 8 years she lived there.  But I stayed there for him until my job was cut.  i hated driving, i hated buying insurance and gas (of which he contributed little). I felt like i was in prision, with korea's isolationist policies.  i come to Beijing and yes there is pollution, but i feel freer.  I have access to things that I didn't have access to in Korea. There are more interesting things to do.  I get paid more.  I feel more useful in my job. I DONT drive anywhere...I commute but I enjoy the commute.  I make more money and have more vacation.  My quality of life is better here. My husband doesn't cough like he used to in Korea, which makes me wonder how polluted our city really was because he used to cough all the time.  I am SICK of listening to my husband tell me how GREAT Korea was.  i am ready to ship him back there and leave me alone.   Just now he said he missed the old bed.  I said why? It gave me backaches.  He said 'because it was in Korea.' ARGH.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4392 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
My husband doesn't cough like he used to in Korea, which makes me wonder how polluted our city really was because he used to cough all the time.

What city were you in?

Looks like Seoul is getting worse...maybe all cities in Korea?

"A total of 85 ultrafine dust advisories have been issued across the country so far this year"

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/03/22/2017032201379.html

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4393 on: March 22, 2017, 12:33:39 PM »

Probably one reason is this:

Korean children spend on average 48 minutes a day with their parents, a mere third of the OECD average of 151 minutes.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/10/20/2015102001053.html

Korean children spend a mere six minutes with their fathers, in sharp contrast to the OECD average of 47 minutes.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4394 on: March 22, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
On the subject of pollution/dust/coughing/dying.

I have an app on my phone that is supposed to tell me the yellow dust levels. It keep giving me really low numbers despite my increased feeling of toxic death coming on.

Is there a truly decent app for this? Or should I just carry my masks, asthma pump, anti allergy around all the time (I hate carrying extra crap in my bag).
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4395 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
Me, cruising the webs.

"Huh, a list of the top sit-coms of all time. Seinfeld better be number one."

opens link

#86 Family Ties.

"Alright, fair enough, wait..86? Jesus Christ."

Click here to see next slide

"I'm done."

closes window

The Cosby Show?

It's lost its sparkle for me too. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
« Reply #4396 on: March 22, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
The Cosby Show?

It's lost its sparkle for me too.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4397 on: March 22, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »
On the subject of pollution/dust/coughing/dying.

I have an app on my phone that is supposed to tell me the yellow dust levels. It keep giving me really low numbers despite my increased feeling of toxic death coming on.

Is there a truly decent app for this? Or should I just carry my masks, asthma pump, anti allergy around all the time (I hate carrying extra crap in my bag).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.insdio.aqicn.airwidget.Asia

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #4398 on: March 22, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »

The only experience I have with Korean high schoolers are the loud and pushy ones who jam up my bus home every other day.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4399 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
The only experience I have with Korean high schoolers are the loud and pushy ones who jam up my bus home every other day.

OMG YASS THESE BETCHES

The ones I've had in class are fine while in class.

The ones who rush the bus and then refuse to give up seats to the elderly, I want to punch every single one of them.