November 19, 2017, 02:53:17 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564312 times)

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4320 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:05 PM »

Why are you leaving? You get to teach in the students' homerooms, which is better than having to teach in an English room.

Also, lots of public school teachers teach grades 3-6. That's not unusual. It's kind of annoying, but it's pretty standard.

If you feel 'sidelined and alienated,' that's probably taking things a little too personally. It sounds like you've only been here for a year or two, maybe. English doesn't revolve around the native teacher, as much as we might wish it did.

I'm sorry about your difficult situation, though.

I kindly beg to differ.  What's the fun in carrying all your stuff to the homerooms 5 times a day.  You have no where to put anything, you have no real materials to speak of, each homeroom is set up differently in terms of resources.

I wish I had an English room at both my schools.  I would just hide there all day.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4321 on: March 09, 2017, 12:51:46 PM »
If a group needs a made up Hallmark-holiday to get attention, their cause isn't worth paying attention to.

If I'm not missing work or getting free crap because of it, I don't care.

I bet you're one of those "why isn't there a white history month" folks, too.

That's a leap. And I'll bet you're one of those people who think if you're a straight, white male, anytime you open your mouth it's mansplaining, and that we ruin everything.

Open mouth, fingers to keyboard etc

Seriously hard to find a straight white guy who can see past the end of his nose. Every time you make comments like this you just prove the point. Keep going & dig yourself deeper!

Offline Dorwell

• Waygookin
« Reply #4322 on: March 09, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »
Well last year I taught in the homeroom, which was fine. The year before that the dedicated English rooms were the only two decent classrooms in the whole school.

This year I have my own classroom, which is nice. You're right that i'm not the only person having the same situation, but its a situation that I feel reduces the quality of English education generally. Completely fine with the school changing its priorities, but it's not something that I want to be a part of.

Definitely a first world problem, but it hasn't enamored me into wanting to stay longer.

Anyway, I'll plod on and see how the next few months go!

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #4323 on: March 09, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
If a group needs a made up Hallmark-holiday to get attention, their cause isn't worth paying attention to.

If I'm not missing work or getting free crap because of it, I don't care.

I bet you're one of those "why isn't there a white history month" folks, too.

That's a leap. And I'll bet you're one of those people who think if you're a straight, white male, anytime you open your mouth it's mansplaining, and that we ruin everything.

Open mouth, fingers to keyboard etc

Seriously hard to find a straight white guy who can see past the end of his nose. Every time you make comments like this you just prove the point. Keep going & dig yourself deeper!

Keep generalising. It does wonders for civility and social cohesion.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4324 on: March 09, 2017, 01:06:36 PM »
I'm surprised when I hear of someone who gets to see a class more than once in a week.  At each of my schools, I generally teach each class only once a week, so it's harder to see progress-- especially with random class cancellations due to field trips or whatever.

Add in the coT who sometimes yammers on and on for a good portion of the class and those students are lucky to get maybe half a class period's worth of time a week practicing with the NET. Ugh

Why are you leaving? You get to teach in the students' homerooms, which is better than having to teach in an English room.

Also, lots of public school teachers teach grades 3-6. That's not unusual. It's kind of annoying, but it's pretty standard.

If you feel 'sidelined and alienated,' that's probably taking things a little too personally. It sounds like you've only been here for a year or two, maybe. English doesn't revolve around the native teacher, as much as we might wish it did.

I kindly beg to differ.  What's the fun in carrying all your stuff to the homerooms 5 times a day.  You have no where to put anything, you have no real materials to speak of, each homeroom is set up differently in terms of resources.

I wish I had an English room at both my schools.  I would just hide there all day.

I have an English room at 3 of my schools and wish I had one at my fourth.  I've found it to be more convenient and it's nice to have a space designated for English.  Also then I can decorate once in a while or display student projects.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4325 on: March 09, 2017, 01:08:37 PM »
I hate how everything can change in a school, and what was once nice, is now hell.

The new principal from last year has little to no interest in English. When I first arrived we had two great classrooms dedicated to English, now they've been knocked through and turned into a vanity project for the principal.

So last year came change number one, I would lose, for the most part my co-teachers who could speak English to an almost fluent level. The second change put me in a position of teaching two grades with the homeroom teacher. In the end, both changes were okay and I valued the time to take more of lead in the lessons. The kids also benefited by having me more often in a week.

Fast forward this year, the principal in his wisdom has decided to give me all the grades, 3rd to 6th, and has moved the only teacher who can actually speak English into a homeroom teacher. This means that I now only teach one or two periods for most of the grades, and the rest of the book is done by the homeroom teachers, who cannot even speak basic English.

This particular change makes me feel sidelined and alienated, and adds even more work onto the already busy homeroom teachers schedule. I was in two minds as to whether i should stay or leave Korea, this change has made me more determined to leave. It's a shame really, I like the school itself and the students are mostly fine. My apartment is nice and for the most part I like living in Korea and the lifestyle that comes with it, but I can see that if I stayed another year I would become a different person.

I'm always amazed and how much power the principal has in schools here, some are good, and some are fine. My principal stands firmly on the wrong side of that spectrum. His decisions seems illogical, and he seems to love spending a huge amount of money on events and projects that make him look like the messiah returned.

Right.  Change can be a pain in the poopie, but give it a few weeks and you could get used to it.

I taught in the same middle school for seven years.  For five of them, until I finished, I had a great co-teacher who I had great affection for.  The students were low-level countryside, but were good.  We worked well together and got on great.  Then she left, and a new male teacher who was less bothered about the students came in, and there were other teachers I was not really enamored with and I felt left out after all this time.  So I kind of hung out in the English room more.  The one thing I loved was the students, they made things easy for me.  After those seven years, I got moved to an elementary school as all provincial middle school jobs were phased out, and then I really found out what hell was like for eight months.
Pointless, 'special' co-teacher with no idea about anything in a school where the children threw stuff at her. 

I agree about the principal thing.  Some have these big unrealistic ideas.  Some are miserable sheets.  I would say that in the majority of schools I worked in if you don't like the principal then the teachers probably don't either.  Some just sit and watch golf in their office until they retire or die, whichever comes first.   

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4326 on: March 09, 2017, 01:12:56 PM »
We had a hweshik and there's mostly women at our school. We got another male teacher, and the behavior of most of the women was embarrassing. It was verging on sexual harassment.

Oh god, what happened?

We had a big group of new teachers, and people cheered for all of them, but it was verging on cat-calls with the new male teacher. I kept thinking, if this was a group of men with a new female teacher, people would think this is terrible, right?

Wouldn't think it was particularly terrible for either gender, but no doubt someone would get offended.

Offline Dorwell

• Waygookin
« Reply #4327 on: March 09, 2017, 01:19:51 PM »
Yeah, I know that a lot of teachers hate the principal too, some of them don't say outright, but they all have the same look on their face that Melania Trump must have every time she wakes up to Trump.

Especially my co-teacher, who lived and worked in the states for 10 years, is now just a homeroom teacher. She's not happy, while counting down the days till she changes schools. I'm all for change, but I feel they like a change just for the sake of a change. There never seems to be any logical changes, which i know is a problem everywhere!

Now I look back I miss my first principal, she was a proper battleaxe, but at least she valued English and made sensible decisions.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4328 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31:57 PM »

I agree about the principal thing.  Some have these big unrealistic ideas.  Some are miserable sheets.  I would say that in the majority of schools I worked in if you don't like the principal then the teachers probably don't either.  Some just sit and watch golf in their office until they retire or die, whichever comes first.   

I find this kind of principal to be pretty acceptable. The school is usually more chill as a result. 

This is my principal theory...  8) 8) 8)

Young up and coming principals are usually ok but have grand ideas so teachers might not like them because of this. They feel like a winner because they finally got where they wanted. They buy a Hyundai Grandeur. They may love volleyball and be all about membership training.

Middle aged (I mean in principal terms...not actually middle aged) and are the WORST because they realize they haven't done anything exciting career wise for years and there isn't really anywhere to go. This is it. All that competitiveness just builds up inside them and they take it out on younger teachers. They can change the mood of a school daily.

Older Principals are the best imho, they leave shit alone and like a like a laugh because they know they can get away with it. They have accepted that it's a lonely job so mostly withdraw to their office and plants.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4329 on: March 09, 2017, 01:52:32 PM »

I find this kind of principal to be pretty acceptable. The school is usually more chill as a result. 

This is my principal theory...  8) 8) 8)

Young up and coming principals are usually ok but have grand ideas so teachers might not like them because of this. They feel like a winner because they finally got where they wanted. They buy a Hyundai Grandeur. They may love volleyball and be all about membership training.

Middle aged (I mean in principal terms...not actually middle aged) and are the WORST because they realize they haven't done anything exciting career wise for years and there isn't really anywhere to go. This is it. All that competitiveness just builds up inside them and they take it out on younger teachers. They can change the mood of a school daily.

Older Principals are the best imho, they leave shit alone and like a like a laugh because they know they can get away with it. They have accepted that it's a lonely job so mostly withdraw to their office and plants.

I had one principal who had this ridiculous vision of our middle school, always talking about our 'brand' and how to promote it.  He spent most of his time outside cleaning the dust off his Equus with one of feather dusters.   :laugh: My dad was principal of a massive college in England and he worked like hell, so when I see principals outside doing stuff like that, I just shake my head.  Use your massive 'experience' to help teachers and give direction.  A principal's job in Korea is effing simple. 

The older ones who are a year away from retirement are fine, they're just planning their Hana tours. 

My principal now is ace.  He was supervisor when I first came.  He's also best mates with my father-in-law.....   :wink: They holiday together sometimes, and not in a gay way.....I think.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4330 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
a lot of people complain about the korean language but i don't usually mind it unless it's the whiny sounding thing... but i really hate and cannot bring myself to use the phrase that basically equates to "please take good care of me" or whatever. it sounds so infantile and pleading...i guess it just doesn't translate well but i cut it out of my new school introduction my very first year. i dont even react well when other people say it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4331 on: March 09, 2017, 02:34:13 PM »
a lot of people complain about the korean language but i don't usually mind it unless it's the whiny sounding thing... but i really hate and cannot bring myself to use the phrase that basically equates to "please take good care of me" or whatever. it sounds so infantile and pleading...i guess it just doesn't translate well but i cut it out of my new school introduction my very first year. i dont even react well when other people say it.

Out of curiosity, what is it? I don't have such a phrase in my introduction but it's entirely possible others have said it and I've just never known

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4332 on: March 09, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »

잘 부탁 드립니다?

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4333 on: March 09, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is it? I don't have such a phrase in my introduction but it's entirely possible others have said it and I've just never known

"잘 보탁드립니다"

We learned it at orientation when I got here and that was the meaning they told us. I think it's probably oversimplified and phrases often have different connotations than what the exact words mean, but I just don't like it as it gets translated  :lipsrsealed:

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4334 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
I've been teaching middle school for the past year and a half, but I taught elementary school for three and a half years before that. I've been in the same province the entire time, so I have a few students now who I also taught when they were elementary schoolers.

One of my students who started 3rd grade this year is one of them, and he has a younger sister who started middle school this year. When I taught at their elementary school, she was one of my favorite students, so when her brother told me she was going to be attending my middle school, I was pretty stoked.

However, a week of classes came and went without seeing her a single time. I mentioned that to my coteacher (who I had already told about my excitement  :laugh:), and he said "Oh, she transferred to another school. Her brother told me today."

Offline JahMoo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4335 on: March 09, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »

"잘 보탁드립니다"

We learned it at orientation when I got here and that was the meaning they told us. I think it's probably oversimplified and phrases often have different connotations than what the exact words mean, but I just don't like it as it gets translated  :lipsrsealed:

If you translate the word "부탁하다" by itself, it's more like "to request" or to "ask (for a favor)", so for me, I've alway thought that "잘 부탁드립니다", is more like saying "I will rely on you"/ "I will request help from you". Anyway if you start a new job somewhere, or start at a new school, you have no choice but to ask people for a lot of favors, or how to do things properly. It's like saying, "I'm going to try to fit in here, please help me out".

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4336 on: March 09, 2017, 03:20:53 PM »

"잘 보탁드립니다"

If you translate the word "부탁하다" by itself, it's more like "to request" or to "ask (for a favor)", so for me, I've alway thought that "잘 부탁드립니다", is more like saying "I will rely on you"/ "I will request help from you". Anyway if you start a new job somewhere, or start at a new school, you have no choice but to ask people for a lot of favors, or how to do things properly. It's like saying, "I'm going to try to fit in here, please help me out".

"Please take care of me" is how I've seen it translated in Korean language books/dramas etc.  "부탁하다" can also be translated as "beg" or so says my Kor-Eng dictionary.

I mean, your interpretation of it is probably more right, that's why I said it's an awkward translation. I don't know why they insist on translating it as "please take good care of me" to people who are brand new Korean speakers. it just sounds awful to me!

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4337 on: March 09, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
That reminds me of some Japanese films and anime where there's a new character at a school or wherever who says "Please take care of me." I'm fairly certain there's a Ghibli film with that line in it somewhere

Online Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4338 on: March 09, 2017, 04:45:10 PM »
That reminds me of some Japanese films and anime where there's a new character at a school or wherever who says "Please take care of me." I'm fairly certain there's a Ghibli film with that line in it somewhere

That's one way to translate the phrase "Yoroshiku onegaishimasu," particularly in this context. That's the first thing I thought of when sevenpm first brought it up, haha.

Offline Embarr

• Veteran
« Reply #4339 on: March 09, 2017, 05:37:11 PM »
We had a hweshik and there's mostly women at our school. We got another male teacher, and the behavior of most of the women was embarrassing. It was verging on sexual harassment.

Oh god, what happened?

We had a big group of new teachers, and people cheered for all of them, but it was verging on cat-calls with the new male teacher. I kept thinking, if this was a group of men with a new female teacher, people would think this is terrible, right?

Wouldn't think it was particularly terrible for either gender, but no doubt someone would get offended.

Did I mention that they also forced him to sing even though there wasn't a karaoke machine at the restaurant, like they expected? You had to be there to soak in the weirdness of it.

I found today that the male teacher was embarrassed by it all and felt a little harassed, so my observations were pretty accurate.