November 20, 2017, 05:34:41 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 566120 times)

Offline JNM

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »
I had one kid turn up for camp. We just played minecraft all day, and ate frozen Canadian chips from costco.

Second day the kids father brought us all sorts of snacks and stuff. It was great.

Minecraft is great!

How else can you teach kids word combinations like "Oak Wood Planks" and "Cooked Mutton".

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »
I had one kid turn up for camp. We just played minecraft all day, and ate frozen Canadian chips from costco.

Second day the kids father brought us all sorts of snacks and stuff. It was great.

Cavendish?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »

Minecraft is great!

How else can you teach kids word combinations like "Oak Wood Planks" and "Cooked Mutton".

There wasn't any teaching going on that week for sure hahaha. Kid needed a break anyway between her 4 hagwons, and "piano" and a bunch of other controlled activities.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
So I survived week 1 of summer camp...but then there's next week. T____T  :sad:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #424 on: July 29, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

That's how I feel right now... except my first week isn't over yet... :cry: I still have the afternoon class for two hours. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gasian

« Reply #425 on: July 29, 2016, 11:30:13 AM »

That's how I feel right now... except my first week isn't over yet... :cry: I still have the afternoon class for two hours. :cry: :cry: :cry:

me too  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #426 on: July 29, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »
Why do they even call it camp? It's not camp, no one is sleeping anywhere, and for the most part I'm sure the schools and parents don't really want the kids to have fun.

They really should just call them Summer school, or Winter school.

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #427 on: July 29, 2016, 11:45:42 AM »

me four

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #428 on: July 29, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »

me four

.......... I have another week of camp and then a week of advanced camp.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #429 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »
Heat index of 38 and a UV Index of 9 here today,  helppppp. Melting

• Veteran
« Reply #430 on: July 29, 2016, 01:19:42 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2016, 01:24:22 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

WTF is right. It's where all of the advanced (but not really, because anyone was allowed to sign up if they were willing to "work hard") 5th and 6th graders have a week of camp, basically. I don't know why it's called advanced camp. I'm supposed to lead discussions with them but they barely know how to introduce themselves.... so.... I don't know.

If I'm being honest, I think it's my school's desperate attempt at justifying deskwarming. They should still let me go home in the afternoons though. I'm teaching more than anyone I know and I also have fewer privileges. I feel like EPIK screwed me over.

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #432 on: July 29, 2016, 01:44:57 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

WTF is right. It's where all of the advanced (but not really, because anyone was allowed to sign up if they were willing to "work hard") 5th and 6th graders have a week of camp, basically. I don't know why it's called advanced camp. I'm supposed to lead discussions with them but they barely know how to introduce themselves.... so.... I don't know.

If I'm being honest, I think it's my school's desperate attempt at justifying deskwarming. They should still let me go home in the afternoons though. I'm teaching more than anyone I know and I also have fewer privileges. I feel like EPIK screwed me over.

To be honest, it just feels like it gets worse as the years go on. Camps and desk warming were non-mandatory years back, but then made mandatory. Then they stopped paying over time for camp (except the Korean teachers still get paid over time). Then they cut out the renewal bonus recently. Funny part is that they made the application requirements stricter. Office of Education just gives 0 shits, and the fact desk warming is still mandatory despite no benefit just shows they're bitter lol

Offline ashleynp2010

• Adventurer
« Reply #433 on: July 29, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

me four

WTF is advanced camp?

To be honest, it just feels like it gets worse as the years go on. Camps and desk warming were non-mandatory years back, but then made mandatory. Then they stopped paying over time for camp (except the Korean teachers still get paid over time). Then they cut out the renewal bonus recently. Funny part is that they made the application requirements stricter. Office of Education just gives 0 shits, and the fact desk warming is still mandatory despite no benefit just shows they're bitter lol

I actually asked my co-teacher about going home after lunch because there is literally.... nothing.... to.... do. And *horrible* construction at my school. And she told me I couldn't because the DMOE sent out a "memo" about us staying until 4:30.

• Veteran
« Reply #434 on: July 29, 2016, 03:02:29 PM »
I JUST WANNA GO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #435 on: July 29, 2016, 03:13:07 PM »
Why do they even call it camp? It's not camp, no one is sleeping anywhere, and for the most part I'm sure the schools and parents don't really want the kids to have fun.

They really should just call them Summer school, or Winter school.

Apparently, once upon a time, well before I started, there were actual camps. The camping element then got cut but the name stuck in Korean because words don't have meanings.

Oh yeah, rant: Phone battery, Korean customs, grr...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:15:33 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline nomadicmadda

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • I'm fine thank you, and you?
« Reply #436 on: July 29, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »

They're riding on the coattails of their old reputation.  It'll only last so long. :rolleyes:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #437 on: August 01, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »
Kids didn't understand a simple part of my game because my coteacher that is here to supervise was in a different room the whole time.  They actually said "We need Korean teacher".  No kidding.

Offline antmar

• Veteran
« Reply #438 on: August 01, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »
Well here goes, week 2 of summer camp.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #439 on: August 01, 2016, 09:35:42 AM »
Kids didn't understand a simple part of my game because my coteacher that is here to supervise was in a different room the whole time.  They actually said "We need Korean teacher".  No kidding.

There aren't even any Korean teachers currently at my school and I've been teaching 1st grade for the very first time without a coteacher. It has been such a struggle. I feel like they've taught me more Korean than I have taught them English  :laugh: