October 19, 2017, 03:34:50 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 521479 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4180 on: January 20, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
Finished writing the questions  8)

Now I can take a break from thinking about them until monday  :undecided:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4181 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:24 PM »
The heater isn't working properly today--it's blowing out cold air. :sad: Looks like I'll be visiting some of the other teachers after lunch today to use their heat.

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #4182 on: January 23, 2017, 01:22:19 PM »
Why is it that in my third year here doing this job I still feel like I have no idea what to do in the 3 weeks ish after winter camp when the textbooks are finished and no one has any motivation for anything.
I have stuff prepared for one week and a general idea of what I can do beyond but really, self, this is the third time doing the shitty February classes. I should be able to think of something that isn't going g to be boring/frustrating for me and the students.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4183 on: January 24, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »
I hate the brooms here. The strained back is a given, but does anyone else also experience hand cramps when they try to sweep with these tiny brooms? I can't hold them the way I would hold a broom that's fit for an adult and my hand starts cramping up thirty seconds into sweeping.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4184 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »
If your school doesn't have full length brooms, that blows. For home I got a swiffer sweeper because I didn't feel like crouching ajumma style to sweep with the teeny broom that was already there.

Save your back! Get a swiffer sweeper! Or if at school, make the kids sweep, hahah

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #4185 on: January 27, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
example: I walk into Burger King and ask for a Big Mac.  I am told that they can't do that, but would gladly sell me a Whopper.  If I insist on a Big Mac, I will be asked to leave.

My brother's first job was at a Wendy's in a university town. He worked the late shift during a time when a manager wasn't there for at least a couple of hours, and every night he got at least one customer insisting that he sell him or her a Big Mac.

They were usually high or drunk, though, and asking them to leave usually didn't work. xD

When he first started, the below was a very typical interaction.

Cust: I'll take a Big Mac.
Him: Sir, this is Wendy's. We don't sell Big Macs.
Cust: Don't lie to me, I ordered a Big Mac from here yesterday.
Him: I was here yesterday, and, yes, you did, and I told you we don't sell Big Macs.
Cust: But I ate it.
Him: You ate a Double. That's what we have here.
Cust: No, no, I see what you're doing here. You're just trying to get me to spend more money on something else, but I want my Big Mac.
Him: You see that building over there? *points towards the window near the doors* There's a McDonald's right over there and they'll be happy to sell you a Big Mac.
Cust: But I'm here right now and I want a Big Mac.
Him: I can sell you a Double.
Cust: I don't want a Double, I want a Big Mac.
Him: We don't sell Big Macs, this is Wendy's. You can buy a Big Mac from McDonald's.
Cust: But I see a picture of a Big Mac right up there.
Him: That's a Double, sir.
Cust: Give me a ****** Big Mac.
Him: ... okay, sir, one Big Mac. *Rings up a Double*

He eventually learned to skip most of that and just gave them whatever was closest and let them think what they wanted. It was easier.

Was the manager a weenie?  He should have told them to leave and call the cops if they kicked up a fuss over it.  Dealing with morons really makes me hate customer service.  (Though most people are nice enough, I guess.) 

If ever I go home, a trade, some specialized training in some other field.  Anything, except customer service.  Better yet, when you're dealing with obnoxious idiots, it'd be awesome to be like Trump and shout or talk over them.  (Talk louder than they do.  Ha ha.)

Offline Jeter2

• Veteran
« Reply #4186 on: January 27, 2017, 01:27:37 PM »
I got 3 weeks left at my current hagwon. THANK GOD! I've never been surrounded by so many gossipy individuals, people whispering about each other and co-Ts talking about foreign teachers in Korean.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4187 on: January 28, 2017, 09:39:26 AM »
The fascist liberal media locking threads when the masses don't think what they are supposed to think...

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,103769.0/

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #4188 on: January 28, 2017, 11:43:29 AM »
The fascist liberal media locking threads when the masses don't think what they are supposed to think...

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,103769.0/

Don't mock the moderator less you get this thread locked.  They do like to crack the whip occasionally, even mute people occasionally, but they are pretty fair.  Over on Dave's, you'd just get unilaterally kicked off with no explanation.  Such a blowhole; haven't been on that site in ages.  At least take solace that we're entering a new anti PC world. 

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4189 on: January 28, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
Over on Dave's, you'd just get unilaterally kicked off with no explanation.  Such a blowhole; haven't been on that site in ages.  At least take solace that we're entering a new anti PC world.

Yup, Dave banned me years ago.

Over on Dave's, you'd just get unilaterally kicked off with no explanation.  Such a blowhole; haven't been on that site in ages.

I'm a skeptic, Breitbart (leader of the anti-PC revolution) banned me. The fact is everyone has some narrow view of what is "correct", and bans everything else. They should really just shut the internet down, it's kind of a joke.

Offline gidget

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4190 on: January 30, 2017, 10:20:52 PM »
Somehow I added an extra day to my week: classes start up again this week and I was so happy because my schedule was changed and I had a surprising day free to lesson plan. Yup, nope. That free day? That's today. My classes start first thing tomorrow and I've just frantically finished planning.

Which province?
Yes.  Need to know.
Sorry guys, I forgot to reply. It's Incheon.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #4191 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »
Gone for three weeks. Now I'm back, alone in a cold classroom.

Put me out of my misery.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4192 on: January 31, 2017, 10:12:36 AM »
Arrrgh the cold. Got stuck on the mainland yesterday due to high winds cancelling the ferries all day. On my return to school today the bus was freezing as was the ferry-- guess it was too early for the heaters to properly kick in  :cry:

On the bright side, indulged in some pho and a movie last night. The only English movies available at the time were Lalaland and Resident Evil: Final Chapter, the former of which I'd already seen and the latter I wasn't interested in. Until I found out it was in 4D!! Action movies in 4D = excellent time!

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4193 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
Arrrgh the cold.

I know!!  Sooooo cold.  I've turned on the heater (air-con) and it's not making it warmer by any real degree.  I did borrow a kettle so at least I can have hot coffee.  The thermostat in the classroom says 10 degrees, but I don't trust it.  It looks shifty.  I think it's more like 2.  I'm wearing gloves while typing.  It's trickier than it looks.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4194 on: January 31, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
I'm back in the cold teachers' room after being gone for 3 weeks.  There are only 4 of us here.  I am wearing my coat and gloves.  The only bright spot in this day may be a hot bowl of soup when we have lunch delivered.

Offline MWeb37

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4195 on: January 31, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
20 more working days.... so close....

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #4196 on: January 31, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
New office admin lady has decided that unless I magically produce a certificate of residence from thin air before Feb 3rd, then I have to do my own taxes  >:(
I handed in my certificate the first day I arrived at my school in Aug 2015. Last year the office guy just sorted everything. I'm still in my 2 year exemption phase. Just applied for a new cert on the stupid UK goverment website and it takes 35 days to process.
 :cry:

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4197 on: January 31, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
New office admin lady has decided that unless I magically produce a certificate of residence from thin air before Feb 3rd, then I have to do my own taxes  >:(
I handed in my certificate the first day I arrived at my school in Aug 2015. Last year the office guy just sorted everything. I'm still in my 2 year exemption phase. Just applied for a new cert on the stupid UK goverment website and it takes 35 days to process.
 :cry:

Just to let you know...when i applied for a second one the government said no, i could only have one certificate to last the two years. :/ Fingers crossed for you though! You probably will get it because I know some others that did....I swear no one here or there knows what they are doing.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4198 on: January 31, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Got messages from coT telling me to stay in the office during office hours. CoT isn't even here. If she's so concerned I'm skipping out, she could just confirm with the secretary that I'm here every day when I'm supposed to be...

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4199 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
I'm so cold and bored. I brought stuff to do/ read today but can't really bring myself to do it. I'm just cuddled in my massive jacket flicking between  facebook, news sites, buzzfeed and shopping. Its killing me. Only an hour and 15 minutes to go.....

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment