October 20, 2017, 01:28:37 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 523399 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4140 on: January 17, 2017, 03:23:37 PM »
We being....you?

Start your own forum, Pay for the website etc.

...and the other 17 or so non-teachers non-military in Korea.

No, my profession is not "website guy". I would prefer this site start that sub-forum, as I already clearly stated.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4141 on: January 17, 2017, 03:27:08 PM »
We being....you?

No, my profession is not "website guy". I would prefer this site start that sub-forum, as I already clearly stated.

Okay okay now i get what your doing  :afro: 8) :afro:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4142 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:10 PM »
We being....you?

You could check out r/korea (https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/), seems to be a bit less teacher-orientated

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4143 on: January 17, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »
...or this site could just start a non-teacher sub-forum. It's not rocket science.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4144 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:53 PM »
...or this site could just start a non-teacher sub-forum. It's not rocket science.
     But it *is* a lot of work for, as you said, what will likely turn out to be very very few participants.

And to be fair, the front page of Waygook states that this website "is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea".

That said, I would enjoy having another sub-forum to browse through. Start a petition, get everybody to send Arsalan or one of the mods a PM and maybe you could get it to happen. And as google translate tells me* your countrymen often say: 祝你好運!!!!  :smiley:

*Do not trust electronic translations or else you will end up with this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:41:23 PM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4145 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
^lol! I never before noticed the smaller text that says, "Cheap, fast & easy"  :laugh:

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4146 on: January 17, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
Right...

"Waygook is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea"
"Dave's, for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World"

Which makes there no non-teacher discussion forum in Korea. Which is the same old problem that has existed here for years...except nobody realizes it is a problem...because they are all English teachers and assume everyone else is also. Hence my complaining on this complaint thread!

The word "Waygook" does not require one to be an English teacher. It is a well-named site, they can effortlessly expand their market by creating a forum for non-teachers to come and discuss non-teacher stuff (simply requires someone getting off their lazy butt and making a sub-forum, which takes what 10min and some coffee on a Sunday?). This would also differentiate the site from Dave's Ultra Lame ESL Cafe. Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.

We don't like posting surrounded by English teachers, it makes us feel dirty. Our own space please, thanks.  ;D

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4147 on: January 17, 2017, 04:14:25 PM »
Right...

"Waygook is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea"
"Dave's, for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World"

Which makes there no non-teacher discussion forum in Korea. Which is the same old problem that has existed here for years...except nobody realizes it is a problem...because they are all English teachers and assume everyone else is also. Hence my complaining on this complaint thread!

The word "Waygook" does not require one to be an English teacher. It is a well-named site, they can effortlessly expand their market by creating a forum for non-teachers to come and discuss non-teacher stuff (simply requires someone getting off their lazy butt and making a sub-forum, which takes what 10min and some coffee on a Sunday?). This would also differentiate the site from Dave's Ultra Lame ESL Cafe. Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.

We don't like posting surrounded by English teachers, it makes us feel dirty. Our own space please, thanks.  ;D

This website is geared up for this already.  The open forum, life in Korea forum, and all the others cover all topics relating to life in Korea.  If you want to feel special, donate to an orphange.  Creating a new forum to do what the main forum already does is ludicrous, as the number of people likely to use it would not be worth the effort. 

There is nothing in the rules that state all posts have to be relevant to teachers only.

Henry Ford: "you can have an colour you want, so long as it is black"
Ptolemy: "I want a pink one with green spots"

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4148 on: January 17, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »
Right...
Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.
Soooo...
...what's stopping you from starting a new thread to gather names of those who would be interested in this? Stop ranting in the ranting thread and start gathering interested persons in the gathering interested persons thread.

Might be that with enough PMs you'll catch the attention of the powers that be.

Be the change you want to see in the world Waygook!
Fight for your right to party convene with your peers!
Power to the (non English-teacher) people!

Anywho, as you yourself said, it's easy to knock a good thing, but I think most of us (dirty ESL teachers) think Waygook is pretty cool as is.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:48:28 PM by kyndo »

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4149 on: January 17, 2017, 07:55:47 PM »

This website is geared up for this already.  The open forum, life in Korea forum, and all the others cover all topics relating to life in Korea. 

That's kinda what I was thinking. What sort of things does someone living in Korea need to know about that wouldn't be covered in those sub-forums? Is the answer to questions like "What do I do with my recyclables" not the same for non-teachers? Is it really just an "I want to associate with people who aren't teachers" thing?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4150 on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
wow I'm glad I wasn't here for that bs

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4151 on: January 18, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Henry Ford: "you can have an colour you want, so long as it is black"
Ptolemy: "I want a pink one with green spots"

I recommend this one!
 :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4152 on: January 18, 2017, 12:15:01 PM »
Internet keeps cutting out, there's construction happening directly outside the office... time for an extended lunch break   :angel:

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4153 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »
That's kinda what I was thinking. What sort of things does someone living in Korea need to know about that wouldn't be covered in those sub-forums? Is the answer to questions like "What do I do with my recyclables" not the same for non-teachers? Is it really just an "I want to associate with people who aren't teachers" thing?

Non teachers might not want to read the endless discussions on what's the cheapest way to do everything.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4154 on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »

Non teachers might not want to read the endless discussions on what's the cheapest way to do everything.

Uh... then they don't have to. I don't, and I'm a teacher.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #4155 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »

Uh... then they don't have to. I don't, and I'm a teacher.

Never said they do, just answering the question.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4156 on: January 18, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »
After a very long year of criticisms and bitching and complaining from my CT about EVERYTHING! After a long year of detailed lesson plans required and filed two weeks in advance, but being told I don't really need to follow them, yet I "best be sure to complete the curriculum on time!"

As well as the response to me, wanting activities and worksheets organised and prepped before hand, being that I am just stupid, and I am just making work for myself. (I apparently should do activity planning just before class or just make something up on the spot and I should just do the same 3-4 activities all the time, because Simon says never gets boring *yawn*.)

17 unique individual lesson plans a week for 23 classes and having to set out my own curriculum with books that have no beautiful waygook thread to steal material from; requires some planning and pre-planning. She has never understood why this takes up so much of my time, and if I just relaxed I could also watch movies and be on facebook and my phone a lot. She has time with her whole 3 classes she teaches....... :blank: :blank: :blank:

Long story short.... I got some revenge, not particularly on purpose but I'm going to claim it.

I changed up the winter camp schedule on the spot today for tomorrow and Friday and she freaked the f*#k out. It was hilar!!! She was and is still confused.

When she asked I just said we need to be flexible, things happen and change, just go with the flow. ( I just couldn't be arsed to teach today, we did crafts, I have a cold from hell.) She insisted I give her a revised lesson plan immediately, I said I didn't have time (I have another class to get through today).  I just said we will do what we can tomorrow and Friday and if we don't finish .. oh well.

She is not happy with me.

I finally did it, I was petty and mean (I think) after a year of sheer hell from her and hearing how I suck as a teacher and I am terrible to work with, and it feels GREAT!!!!   :evil:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4157 on: January 18, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
Had a couple of boys bust each other up because one of them accidentally knocked over the other boy's tower while horse-playing. The tower wasn't hurt, but both boys ended up with bloody noses before I was basically able to Superman-fly my way in between them.

Called my coT and they were removed from class, and I don't think they'll get to finish the rest of camp, which I'm actually kind of grateful for because these two were the biggest pains. Not bad kids, but lazy and disruptive.

To be young and stupid again.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4158 on: January 19, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
Okay, I am so ******* sick of guys (or girls, for that matter) who feel like they are entitled to do with other people's bodies as they please without consequence. I was on my way back to school after my lunch break (I go home for an hour) and some random guy touched me. It wasn't any place inappropriate but it was very obviously intentional and it still pissed me off but I kept walking and turned around to look at him and all of a sudden he loses his shit and starts yelling at me and even acted like he was going to follow me. He was at least three times my size so I just kept walking hoping he'll go away, which he did, but really?

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4159 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:18 PM »
Okay, I am so ******* sick of guys (or girls, for that matter) who feel like they are entitled to do with other people's bodies as they please without consequence. I was on my way back to school after my lunch break (I go home for an hour) and some random guy touched me. It wasn't any place inappropriate but it was very obviously intentional and it still pissed me off but I kept walking and turned around to look at him and all of a sudden he loses his shit and starts yelling at me and even acted like he was going to follow me. He was at least three times my size so I just kept walking hoping he'll go away, which he did, but really?

I am so sorry this happened to you.

That guy can go get fucked over by a rusty iron rod.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:39:15 PM by Chinguetti »

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment