September 25, 2017, 08:03:22 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 489445 times)

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4120 on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:01 AM »
I used to hate language teachers who would say "don't be creative, just use words and patterns we already know" because I've always been creative in language courses, but now I sort of get where they're coming from. Some of this stuff is so hard to parse and incomprehensible and a pain in the ASS to correct. I'm on to essay number 5 now and just finished editing an essay on LoL and tbh it's my favorite because it only required light edits since the kid was writing about something they know about and didn't try to say anything too complicated.

Thanks for keeping me company in this ranting thread today yirj lol

Offline jomi

• Veteran
« Reply #4121 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
You know the problem with KTs not looking at all at your plans for camp that you had to make not knowing which kids are going to be attending and had to go off really vague instructions reguarding levelling is? That the KT, who knows how many students and which students will be in each group for camp when you do not, doesn't then tell you that you are maybe relying a little to much on them retaining anything at all from the school year. This last week of camp is gonna be shite. At least for the last 2 weeks I KNEW the kids had next-to-nothing (it was pm phonics camp for two weeks) but this week was told to me as "level three" kids, which I thought was lower end of average kids not kids that also barely know the alphabet and won't talk at all.

Also side note, each week for three weeks ALL the KT had to do was prepare a video for 4th period and not a single one of them did. I was not told I had to prepare videos for 4th period too. These are the KTs that told me "oh you need to use these grammar books" then didn't give me the grammar books until a week before winter vacation so I couldn't finish my plans until the last week of school.  :rolleyes: like okay I'll get 30-45 lesson plans finished in like 2 weeks because you couldn't get it together to give me what I needed in time but sure, don't bother doing the only thing I expected you to do.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4122 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »
40 hours of camp with the same students is too.  ******.  much.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4123 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
"Green tea snack is devid likes and dislikes follow own bent. "

What. Why. W h a t

:cry:

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4124 on: January 16, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »

What. Why. W h a t

That is the result of a translation engine - NAVER.

Reverse translate and you get: 녹차 스낵은 싫은 것입니다.

Translate that into English using the same translator and you get:  Green tea snacks are unpleasant.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4125 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »

What. Why. W h a t

That is the result of a translation engine - NAVER.

Reverse translate and you get: 녹차 스낵은 싫은 것입니다.

Translate that into English using the same translator and you get:  Green tea snacks are unpleasant.

This is what I managed to finagle out of it:

Green tea snack is devid likes and dislikes follow own bent. But People who don`t like green tea also suggest eat it. Because snack`s sweet taste is neutralize bitter taste. 

People like green tea according to their own preferences, but even people who donít like green tea on its own may like green tea snacks, because the bitterness of green tea is neutralized by the snackís sweetness.

But after your help I guess maybe

Many people dislike green tea, but still I suggest they try eating green tea snacks. They may find they like it because the bitterness of green tea is neutralized by the snackís sweetness.

EDIT: Put the whole segment through Naver translate, came up with "녹차를 좋아하고 싫어하는 것은 자신만의 취향을 따르는 것이다. 하지만 녹차를 좋아하지 않는 사람들도 먹지 않는다. 달콤한 맛이 달콤한 맛을 중화시키기 때문이다." , put that through Google translate because Naver wasn't cooperating and got "What I like and dislike about green tea is to follow your own taste. However, people who do not like green tea do not eat. This is because the sweet taste neutralizes the sweet taste."

SO gonna go with my first interpretation of how to translate it lol
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:38:11 PM by moonbrie »

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4126 on: January 16, 2017, 01:48:04 PM »
Came down to my office at 12:06 to grab something.  Teachers were still here.  They know my camp ends at 12:30, but when I get back they've all gone to a restaurant for lunch.  Why can't they wait for me.  They better bring me takeout again, but it's looking grim since the only person who seems to care that I don't starve is the VP and she's not here today.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4127 on: January 16, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
*sigh*

One more week of camp.

I'm going to make sure next camp is something fun for me, too, not just for the kids. Because **** this.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #4128 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
I know a Korean who constantly uses the word "embarrassed" to the point where

[off topic]

OMG

I watched that movie with my 8yo son this past weekend.

So many great lines!

[/off topic]

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4129 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
I just rewatched it recently! So good. Also probably one of the rare instances where I think I like the movie better than the book (still a great read though).

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4130 on: January 16, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »
Yep. It's so frustrating in school too, because I'm like... despite how it feels a lot of the time, I wasn't hired by the government just for decoration. I was hired because I'm a native speaker and I know things about words that you don't. SO Y U INSIST ON USING WRONG WORDS

The kids are cleaning the school today and the door is constantly open so my hands are freezing.

In my first year one of my CTs had the students write in a journal. She gave me half of them to look through. Specifically the high level ones.

I have never been so loved or admired or handsome or wonderful as I was in that year.

We did this every week. There are two hundred students per grade....
Luckily she only taught one grade.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4131 on: January 17, 2017, 11:10:54 AM »
Two topics for the complaining thread...

Why are there all these small-market incredibly specific sub-forums, YET there is not a non-English teacher forum. Shocking as it may sound, not all of us are teachers or military. There is not a proper "expat" forum for Korea, as there are not many of us, okay I understand. But this site could start a sub-forum for us, you just paste some HTML junk, and bam there it is. How about getting on that?

Also, is there some reason why this website looks like 1995 technology? Pretty sure there is stock software these days you can use for a good looking forum. The font is too small, the emoticons look like pixilated garbage, really the whole design of the site is horrible. Owners should probably get on that. Thanks.

Offline sligo

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4132 on: January 17, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »

Why are there all these small-market incredibly specific sub-forums, YET there is not a non-English teacher forum. Shocking as it may sound, not all of us are teachers or military. There is not a proper "expat" forum for Korea, as there are not many of us, okay I understand. But this site could start a sub-forum for us, you just paste some HTML junk, and bam there it is. How about getting on that?

Also, is there some reason why this website looks like 1995 technology? Pretty sure there is stock software these days you can use for a good looking forum. The font is too small, the emoticons look like pixilated garbage, really the whole design of the site is horrible. Owners should probably get on that. Thanks.

Compared to Dave's ESL, this site is positively futuristic!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4133 on: January 17, 2017, 02:47:59 PM »

Or, you know, you could start a thread for those of us who speak other languages.
Heck, I could do that.
Heck, I just did do that.
Gripe away!  :smiley:

Anyway, if that seems lame ( :cry: ), there are already region-specific sub-forums under the "International" sub-forum. While they deal mostly with travelling etc, there's no reason why they can't be used differently.  :undecided:

Not an unreasonable complaint, but it is one that's pretty easy to address: just use your scroll wheel to zoom in. Boom! Bigger font.
And the emoticons were much much much much worse a few years back. Good Lord, you wouldn't believe the amount of moaning and whinging there was about a few ugly emoticons...  :rolleyes:

In my opinion, the amount of effort and the lengthy delays required to update Waygook's interface doesn't really seem worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:00:45 PM by kyndo »

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4134 on: January 17, 2017, 03:00:05 PM »
The request was for a forum for people who live in Korea, but whose profession is not english teacher.

Not a non-English language forum.

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #4135 on: January 17, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
The request was for a forum for people who live in Korea, but whose profession is not english teacher.

Oh. So you meant "non English-teachers", not "non-English teachers"? Darn. I spent entire minutes on starting a non-English teacher thread because of that hyphen!  :cry:
    Oh well. You could still try posting stuff in the relevant region under the "international" sub-forum...

And by the way, my favourite punctuation mark to misplace is the following:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:27:25 PM by kyndo »

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Adventurer
« Reply #4136 on: January 17, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »
Please enjoy the thread

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4137 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

A lot of the Facebook groups are not job specific. For example OINK or Every Expat in Korea. Try there.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4138 on: January 17, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
It would be best if the owner of the site would simply start a NOT ENGLISH TEACHERS sub-forum, we do not want lazy work arounds, we want what we want. Thanks.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4139 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
It would be best if the owner of the site would simply start a NOT ENGLISH TEACHERS sub-forum, we do not want lazy work arounds, we want what we want. Thanks.

We being....you?

Start your own forum, Pay for the website etc.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment