December 11, 2017, 11:52:16 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594295 times)

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4100 on: February 22, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »
Today is my last day of work. Went to drink the coffee and eat the bread that the office admin ladies made for me since it's my last day (it's just them, the VP, and me in the office today), when the school nurse came in to talk to the VP about something.

Now they're yelling at each other and the VP almost screamed at her. No idea what they're arguing about, except that it's something where the school nurse thinks she knows better than the VP. The only phrase I understood in full was the VP going "Hey, I'm the VP you know!!!"

One office admin lady tried to push the school nurse out into the hallway to calm her down, but school nurse wasn't having it.

Ugh. Now they are literally yelling at each other from opposite ends of the office.

I'm not sure how to say this, but recently I've been thinking a lot about Koreans and dignity.  To me, dignity is one of, if not the most important thing to me.  I always think about it whenever I do something.  I'm not sure it is to some Koreans though.  Using school dinners as a loose example, teachers in their 40's and 50's getting absolutely smashed and becoming an absolute mess during the week.  Surely, as you get older you realise how to hold yourself with respect especially when it comes to drinking.  I mean who has a stupid argument across the office where someone pulls their rank out.  Dumb.

I do think they see dignity in a different way than other cultures. For me, I always wondered where their dignity was when I'd watch them lie about or fake something really obvious. It reminds me of a child lying about breaking a vase or drawing on the wall to their parents. The child knows they did it, the parents know they did it, but the child refuses to take responsibility. The child either learns to take responsibility for him or herself or becomes a better liar. I rarely see people taking responsibility for themselves and their lies are so obvious.

I also feel completely undignified when I'm forced to lie about what we do in class to parents/teachers/other staffs during open class. If I'm forced to do these open classes, I'd prefer to get real feedback and polish the real techniques I use in class. Sure, it's normal to be on your best behavior and want to show your best side when being watched, however, the open classes I've been a part of have been complete farces with supplies, desks, tables etc brought in just for the class alone. The children are given a script to memorize before the day comes. The teacher reads off of cue cards. To me, this is undignified behavior and I always feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

Offline insulimted

• Veteran
« Reply #4101 on: February 22, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Today is my last day of work. Went to drink the coffee and eat the bread that the office admin ladies made for me since it's my last day (it's just them, the VP, and me in the office today), when the school nurse came in to talk to the VP about something.

Now they're yelling at each other and the VP almost screamed at her. No idea what they're arguing about, except that it's something where the school nurse thinks she knows better than the VP. The only phrase I understood in full was the VP going "Hey, I'm the VP you know!!!"

One office admin lady tried to push the school nurse out into the hallway to calm her down, but school nurse wasn't having it.

Ugh. Now they are literally yelling at each other from opposite ends of the office.

I'm not sure how to say this, but recently I've been thinking a lot about Koreans and dignity.  To me, dignity is one of, if not the most important thing to me.  I always think about it whenever I do something.  I'm not sure it is to some Koreans though.  Using school dinners as a loose example, teachers in their 40's and 50's getting absolutely smashed and becoming an absolute mess during the week.  Surely, as you get older you realise how to hold yourself with respect especially when it comes to drinking.  I mean who has a stupid argument across the office where someone pulls their rank out.  Dumb.

I do think they see dignity in a different way than other cultures. For me, I always wondered where their dignity was when I'd watch them lie about or fake something really obvious. It reminds me of a child lying about breaking a vase or drawing on the wall to their parents. The child knows they did it, the parents know they did it, but the child refuses to take responsibility. The child either learns to take responsibility for him or herself or becomes a better liar. I rarely see people taking responsibility for themselves and their lies are so obvious.

I also feel completely undignified when I'm forced to lie about what we do in class to parents/teachers/other staffs during open class. If I'm forced to do these open classes, I'd prefer to get real feedback and polish the real techniques I use in class. Sure, it's normal to be on your best behavior and want to show your best side when being watched, however, the open classes I've been a part of have been complete farces with supplies, desks, tables etc brought in just for the class alone. The children are given a script to memorize before the day comes. The teacher reads off of cue cards. To me, this is undignified behavior and I always feel embarrassed for everyone involved.

If I fail, if I succeed at least I'll live as I believe. No matter what they take from me, they can't take away my dignity.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4102 on: February 22, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4103 on: February 22, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »

I'm somewhat sad to know that your posts on here are going to disappear. Do keep us updated on this screaming match, and how it turned out.

It just kind of petered out after they separated physically. I saw the school nurse putting on her jacket and she might've left.

And who knows, maybe I'll come on if I'm bored! lol. I might take a job as a substitute teacher for the school district so even though I won't have country in common with everyone I'd have job-related complaints in common? lol

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4104 on: February 28, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »
I think I may have to have knee surgery again and I really really don't want to.  :cry: :cry:  :cry:

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4105 on: March 03, 2017, 01:49:45 PM »
I have about a month left on my gym membership, but I'm seriously considering not renewing because of the men there. One in particular really makes me uncomfortable. At the same time, though, I'd hate to give up the machines available and convenient location just because of a few perverted assholes.

Teetering on this decision, angry that it's not as easy as it should be.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4106 on: March 03, 2017, 02:22:17 PM »
I have about a month left on my gym membership, but I'm seriously considering not renewing because of the men there. One in particular really makes me uncomfortable. At the same time, though, I'd hate to give up the machines available and convenient location just because of a few perverted assholes.

Were you the person who gets guys farting on you while you were exercising? Or was that someone else here?

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4107 on: March 03, 2017, 02:31:38 PM »

Were you the person who gets guys farting on you while you were exercising? Or was that someone else here?

LMFAO

No, but I remember reading about that and found the original thread for you to relive.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4108 on: March 03, 2017, 04:55:43 PM »
Has Korea recently passed new regulations on importing cosmetics?

I've lost count of the amount of times recently when I've tried to stock up on stuff only to see "This item does not ship to your selected country".

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #4109 on: March 03, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
Has Korea recently passed new regulations on importing cosmetics?

I've lost count of the amount of times recently when I've tried to stock up on stuff only to see "This item does not ship to your selected country".

:evil: :evil: :evil:

My zany theory is because Korean cosmetics are not doing the same business in China because of import restrictions, they need to pick up the slack domestically.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4110 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:12 AM »
Apparently my principal thinks it's perfectly logical to shift my CT from last year, one of two teachers at my school who could speak English, into homeroom teacher's position which any Korean teacher could do, and replace her with someone who doesn't speak a lick of English.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4111 on: March 06, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Apparently my principal thinks it's perfectly logical to shift my CT from last year, one of two teachers at my school who could speak English, into homeroom teacher's position which any Korean teacher could do, and replace her with someone who doesn't speak a lick of English.

This literally happens every school year for me, and also sometimes between semesters, too.

Just need to get used to it. It's annoying as heck.

My CT from last year was livid when the principal took her off English and put in the 4th grade teacher who legit didn't speak a word to me all of last year. They don't get a native teacher this year so those kids are doomed. He said "see you tomorrow" on my last day cuz he thought it was the same as saying goodbye. My elementary third graders knew more and were more confident than him...

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4112 on: March 06, 2017, 02:53:39 PM »
One thing I never look forward to when starting a new school year is the hurr hurr Americans are so fat jokes the students/coteachers make right in front of me. They always make me start with an intro about myself and my country, and whenever food comes up they scream "ahh delicious! but americans are so fat haha!"

1. It's RUDE. I'll never understand why they think they can drag other countries through the mud to our faces but just mention you don't like the smell of kimchi and it's like you've taken a shit on their ancestors' graves.
2. There are quite a few chubby kids in these classes as well. They probably don't feel great when size is brought up as the butt of a joke in class. It's totally inappropriate and irresponsible for teachers to allow/encourage this behavior. 
3. I have been skinnier than every single one of my co teachers. Countdown until they whine again about how thin my legs are "it's not fair you are American!!" Guess what! There are people from all over the world who are thinner than you, healthier than you, smarter than you, so stop trying to feel superior by repeating these obnoxious stereotypes. It's not going to make your place in the world any better.

One of the worst parts about teaching here is having to see these kids be indoctrinated into such ignorant ways of viewing the world outside of Korea. The inaccurate and stereotypical ways text books portray other cultures juxtaposed with the way every mention of Korea/Koreans is one big circle jerk (like textbooks with paragraphs in English about some Korean cultural point that ended the blurb with "Aren't Koreans so smart?") would be pathetic if it didn't actually work. The stuff that is allowed and even encouraged... I'm not surprised by how uncouth even educated, well traveled Koreans have been in even everyday conversations with me and other non Koreans. Sure, the weight thing is pretty insignificant (and yes Americans are very fat, I know it's true) but it doesn't stop there. The us v them rhetoric is encouraged by blanket statements used to portray Korea/Koreans in a positive light while demeaning others.  This is why the nationalistic egos here are so damn fragile. They are built on bullshit, and once they grow up, it seems like there is nothing to counteract everything they've already learned no matter how much they hate their lives. Hell Joseon, but Korea is still the best!

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4113 on: March 06, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Elem. coT introduced me to all the newbies today. And told them I didn't know any Korean other than "Hello."  Ironically I understood basically all she was telling them (where I'm from, that I don't speak Korean, how long I've been here, etc.).

Not a huge deal as I probably won't speak to these people much as I only ever see them in passing on occasion but I'm capable of introducing myself in Korean and similarly basic stuff.  :lipsrsealed:

Oh well.  Better to be underestimated?

It's funny because at middle school they let me introduce myself.  Guess elem is full of coddling for everyone.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4114 on: March 06, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
One thing I never look forward to when starting a new school year is the hurr hurr Americans are so fat jokes the students/coteachers make right in front of me. They always make me start with an intro about myself and my country, and whenever food comes up they scream "ahh delicious! but americans are so fat haha!"

1. It's RUDE. I'll never understand why they think they can drag other countries through the mud to our faces but just mention you don't like the smell of kimchi and it's like you've taken a shit on their ancestors' graves.
2. There are quite a few chubby kids in these classes as well. They probably don't feel great when size is brought up as the butt of a joke in class. It's totally inappropriate and irresponsible for teachers to allow/encourage this behavior. 
3. I have been skinnier than every single one of my co teachers. Countdown until they whine again about how thin my legs are "it's not fair you are American!!" Guess what! There are people from all over the world who are thinner than you, healthier than you, smarter than you, so stop trying to feel superior by repeating these obnoxious stereotypes. It's not going to make your place in the world any better.

One of the worst parts about teaching here is having to see these kids be indoctrinated into such ignorant ways of viewing the world outside of Korea. The inaccurate and stereotypical ways text books portray other cultures juxtaposed with the way every mention of Korea/Koreans is one big circle jerk (like textbooks with paragraphs in English about some Korean cultural point that ended the blurb with "Aren't Koreans so smart?") would be pathetic if it didn't actually work. The stuff that is allowed and even encouraged... I'm not surprised by how uncouth even educated, well traveled Koreans have been in even everyday conversations with me and other non Koreans. Sure, the weight thing is pretty insignificant (and yes Americans are very fat, I know it's true) but it doesn't stop there. The us v them rhetoric is encouraged by blanket statements used to portray Korea/Koreans in a positive light while demeaning others.  This is why the nationalistic egos here are so damn fragile. They are built on bullshit, and once they grow up, it seems like there is nothing to counteract everything they've already learned no matter how much they hate their lives. Hell Joseon, but Korea is still the best!

Painfully accurate.

The fact that it's so habitual to refer to Koreans and 'foreigners,' which essentially is a catchall for all the literal billions of other people in the world who aren't one of 35ish million Koreans, is ridiculous.

I can't believe that the only way they've figured out how to draw other nationalities in textbooks is take the most stereotypical costume of that country and slap it on a cartoon character. Fact: a person can be from China and not wear a qipao. A person can be from Japan without being in a kimono or yukata. Not all Americans wear cowboy hats. Africans don't live in huts. Ugh.

Like - just have a person. And say this person is from this country. Or have them standing under their flag. Don't cartoonify literally every other nationality.

Yeah it's so horrible for Korean books to stereotype countries. What they need to do is build a  4 minute childrens ride that feels like 4 hours with horrifying animatronics then build that same stereotyping trash ride in every other country they open a theme park in :D

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4115 on: March 06, 2017, 03:19:24 PM »

I can't believe that the only way they've figured out how to draw other nationalities in textbooks is take the most stereotypical costume of that country and slap it on a cartoon character. Fact: a person can be from China and not wear a qipao. A person can be from Japan without being in a kimono or yukata. Not all Americans wear cowboy hats. Africans don't live in huts. Ugh.

From a large map on the wall of the English classroom in an elementary school I worked at a couple years back:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #4116 on: March 06, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »

From a large map on the wall of the English classroom in an elementary school I worked at a couple years back:

I understand the blowback for this, I do, but there are a tonne of tribes in Africa who still live like this. It's not false information. I'm not sure what the solution is, put everyone is a 3 piece suit? 

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4117 on: March 06, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »

I understand the blowback for this, I do, but there are a tonne of tribes in Africa who still live like this. It's not false information. I'm not sure what the solution is, put everyone is a 3 piece suit?

Or everyone could just be nude.

There could be artistically placed plants.

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #4118 on: March 06, 2017, 03:35:26 PM »
I don't really follow why you are opposed to "stereotyping"?

It is very useful, like categorizing, generalizing, etc. and helpful.

Obviously, it isn't always going to be accurate, but it will do the job in a pinch.

Walk into a room, glance around, easy.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #4119 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
I don't really follow why you are opposed to "stereotyping"?

It is very useful, like categorizing, generalizing, etc. and helpful.

Obviously, it isn't always going to be accurate, but it will do the job in a pinch.

Walk into a room, glance around, easy.

Every map shows Canadians as Mounties, this is bullsh*t....................