November 19, 2017, 08:13:31 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564582 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #4080 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #4081 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Man that all blows. I've been fortunate in that my main school doesn't make major schedule shifts. The big things like school vacation and that random week in Feb. remain the same as planned the previous year. Minor things like field trips do get shuffled around.

Luckily my coT and principal understand the need to buy plane tickets in advance so camp schedules get ironed out at least a few months in advance. I would be so peeved if such things were left to the last minute.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4082 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:04 PM »
Also seems strange to me.  I know the calendar dates for semesters starting and finishing.  I know I have to do a bit of camp.  I told my handler the dates I wanted to go on holiday (within reason) and doing some camp.  VP, thumbs up, P, thumbs up, do the NEIS, book tickets.  Nobody has ever gone back on that.  I did push for it rather than waiting for my handler to do it.  I went home on the 24th December last year, I asked nicely for two weeks.  Got it and did my camp for 7 days after I got back. 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4083 on: February 03, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Apparently my school IS getting a new foreign teacher, but only for one day a week, and they're going to be living in my apartment so their main school wants to check it out

I am low-key freaking out because that means I need to get serious about cleaning tonight (I said they could come tomorrow because I knew that if I said "oh in a week" I'd just be anxious about cleaning for a whole week instead of one night) and AHHH

I tried to ask my coteacher if I could talk to the new teacher to see if they want me to leave any furniture, etc since I know I would've really appreciated if my apartment had come with more furniture than it did, but she's insistent that even if the new teacher would want me to leave things, I have to throw them away or sell them anyways (and also that the new teacher hasn't been placed yet)

ALSO I sort of broke the bed that my school provided when I was taking it apart; I'm pretty sure I can put it back together but not until I get rid of my current bed and I'm hoping if they look at it it just looks taken apart and not broken (a screw was ripped out in a way that probably requires wood glue to fix and a piece of metal bent but judging by how easily it bent I should be able to bend it back)

asdflkj

I need to do some prep for tomorrow otherwise I'd try to ask for early leave to do some more cleaning

Offline FreddyPrinceWilliam

• Veteran
« Reply #4084 on: February 03, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
Apparently my school IS getting a new foreign teacher, but only for one day a week, and they're going to be living in my apartment so their main school wants to check it out

I am low-key freaking out because that means I need to get serious about cleaning tonight (I said they could come tomorrow because I knew that if I said "oh in a week" I'd just be anxious about cleaning for a whole week instead of one night) and AHHH

I tried to ask my coteacher if I could talk to the new teacher to see if they want me to leave any furniture, etc since I know I would've really appreciated if my apartment had come with more furniture than it did, but she's insistent that even if the new teacher would want me to leave things, I have to throw them away or sell them anyways (and also that the new teacher hasn't been placed yet)

ALSO I sort of broke the bed that my school provided when I was taking it apart; I'm pretty sure I can put it back together but not until I get rid of my current bed and I'm hoping if they look at it it just looks taken apart and not broken (a screw was ripped out in a way that probably requires wood glue to fix and a piece of metal bent but judging by how easily it bent I should be able to bend it back)

asdflkj

I need to do some prep for tomorrow otherwise I'd try to ask for early leave to do some more cleaning

How exactly did you break the bed??

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4085 on: February 03, 2017, 11:46:24 AM »
You know what schools need more of? Hot running water and soap in the bathrooms.

Ain't nobody wash their hands. Why? Because they just don't, but also because there's literally no hot water in the bathrooms, or if there is it comes out at a trickle.

Instead of investing in TV upgrades every few years, and allotting excessive budget to subject teachers to waste on English story books, etc, how about investing in your educational infrastructure by bringing your buildings up to semi-modern, developed standards. Korea isn't a poor country. It prides itself on its education system. It spends an insane amount of money on that education system.

Another school I worked at turned the hot water off between spring and fall, because it wasn't needed to keep the pipes from freezing.

DANG man. Hot water isn't really something you should consider a luxury unless you're really poor. And soap. C'mon. Damn.

Man, today my school has no toilet papper so I'm currently searching for alternatives while trying not to pee myself. Consider yourself lucky.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4086 on: February 03, 2017, 11:48:01 AM »
You know what schools need more of? Hot running water and soap in the bathrooms.

Ain't nobody wash their hands. Why? Because they just don't, but also because there's literally no hot water in the bathrooms, or if there is it comes out at a trickle.

Instead of investing in TV upgrades every few years, and allotting excessive budget to subject teachers to waste on English story books, etc, how about investing in your educational infrastructure by bringing your buildings up to semi-modern, developed standards. Korea isn't a poor country. It prides itself on its education system. It spends an insane amount of money on that education system.

Another school I worked at turned the hot water off between spring and fall, because it wasn't needed to keep the pipes from freezing.

DANG man. Hot water isn't really something you should consider a luxury unless you're really poor. And soap. C'mon. Damn.

Man, today my school has no toilet papper so I'm currently searching for alternatives while trying not to pee myself. Consider yourself lucky.

Check your 교무실. There's always toilet paper there. Just ask if you can borrow some.

Not having toilet paper makes sense, because kids will just play with it and waste it. It's annoying, but like - having hot water would encourage people to practice basic hygiene.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4087 on: February 03, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »

Check your 교무실. There's always toilet paper there. Just ask if you can borrow some.

Not having toilet paper makes sense, because kids will just play with it and waste it. It's annoying, but like - having hot water would encourage people to practice basic hygiene.

I'll check when lunch is over. I hate going to the bathroom when on lunch or between cuz the kids don't understand privacy and they see me in the hall then stalk me to the bathroom and continue talking to me while i'm peeing.... I appreciate they they're eager to talk but like... don't stalk me into the bathroom please XD

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4088 on: February 03, 2017, 11:58:33 AM »

asdflkj

How exactly did you break the bed??

I was trying to put it in the storage space by myself but it's really wobbly/cheap/poorly constructed so the weight of one of the side panels made the metal piece bend when I was moving it, also causing a screw to rip through the wood which is actually just that thick particle board they use for cheap furniture

If I'd been doing it with another person they could've supported that weight but I'm a ding dong so I got like 90% done alone and then I was like crap I might need help but it was too late

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4089 on: February 03, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »

I feel embarrassed that I don't always wash my hands or do a really half-assed job at it but seriously the water is so COLD

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4090 on: February 03, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

I feel embarrassed that I don't always wash my hands or do a really half-assed job at it but seriously the water is so COLD

Exactly. And cold water doesn't rinse soap off well. On top of being miserable and uncomfortable.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #4091 on: February 03, 2017, 12:30:56 PM »

Exactly. And cold water doesn't rinse soap off well. On top of being miserable and uncomfortable.

I always keep wet wipes and hand sanitizer for this problem. Also keep the wipes for using in public bathrooms in stations because it's usually hit or miss with the loo roll and there's usually too many girls brushing their teeth or applying makeup at the sinks.

Also the no hot water and soap thing makes me hate actually getting out the of bathrooms. God only knows what's living on those door handles...  :huh:

Offline MissHannigan

• Explorer
  • looking for easy street....
« Reply #4092 on: February 03, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

100. This is exactly how I feel. Thank you for your thoughts.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4093 on: February 03, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »

Amen to this. Our principal is always worried and going on about the students' safety, yet there's no soap or hot water in the bathrooms.

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #4094 on: February 03, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
Also, hot running water is not some sort of high-tech, difficult thing. Lots of places in the world have hot water, especially in cold climates.

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #4095 on: February 06, 2017, 09:49:06 AM »
So I'm going home to the UK for vacation on Saturday and as I only have 10 days at home my plans and schedule is crazy trying to see friends and family and celebrate my birthday. I informed my mum's partner back in November when I would arrive as I plan to stay at their house for the first 2 days. We have also kept my visit a secret from my mum.
Today I open an email from him saying that they're going to be away Friday until Sunday. I mean seriously, are you kidding me?! He has known since November! And I now have to wait 8 hours until everyone in the UK wakes up and can think sensibly to help sort it all out.  >:(

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4096 on: February 06, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »

hear hear!

There is only one bathroom in my school that has hot running water all year long, it's the teacher's bathroom on the first floor. Sometimes I go there just for the luxury of washing my hands with warm water. That doesn't stop the teachers I run into in there from running out the door directly after wiping their asses. They still don't wash their hands even when warm water, soap, and paper towels are provided. WHY  :cry:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4097 on: February 06, 2017, 11:15:54 AM »

hear hear!

There is only one bathroom in my school that has hot running water all year long, it's the teacher's bathroom on the first floor. Sometimes I go there just for the luxury of washing my hands with warm water. That doesn't stop the teachers I run into in there from running out the door directly after wiping their asses. They still don't wash their hands even when warm water, soap, and paper towels are provided. WHY  :cry:

I've started to notice that whenever I visit a public restroom these days that some Koreans will actually wait and watch to see what I'm going to do, and if I start washing my hands, they will, too. Although they normally skip the soap and just make their hands a little wet.

There might be a spread of public awareness and pressure to start washing hands because I'm also finding that I'm not having to use my own personal bottle of hand soap as often because I'm finding more soap dispensers where there didn't used to be, and half the time they're actually filled!

I mean is this just me?

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #4098 on: February 06, 2017, 11:20:58 AM »

I've started to notice that whenever I visit a public restroom these days that some Koreans will actually wait and watch to see what I'm going to do, and if I start washing my hands, they will, too. Although they normally skip the soap and just make their hands a little wet.

Like when you investigate/pick something up at the grocery store and a few people nearby are suddenly interested in it too.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4099 on: February 06, 2017, 11:21:47 AM »

Like when you investigate/pick something up at the grocery store and a few people nearby are suddenly interested in it too.

YES!

Or how you can wander into an empty pop-up store or a stall with no customers, and suddenly it gets swarmed in the three seconds you're there.