December 11, 2017, 11:45:57 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594278 times)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3980 on: February 06, 2017, 01:11:42 PM »

I've started to notice that whenever I visit a public restroom these days that some Koreans will actually wait and watch to see what I'm going to do, and if I start washing my hands, they will, too. Although they normally skip the soap and just make their hands a little wet.

There might be a spread of public awareness and pressure to start washing hands because I'm also finding that I'm not having to use my own personal bottle of hand soap as often because I'm finding more soap dispensers where there didn't used to be, and half the time they're actually filled!

I mean is this just me?

I do a lot of highway driving, so I use the rest stops on a regular basis.  I see more hand-washing at the ones which have recently been renovated.

They have liquid soap, hot water, and hand driers that work (for now).

I do agree that I still see some "ceremonial" hand-washing.

Is it really such a bad idea to forego the handwashing considering the choices?
I'd rather not wash my hands if the choice was between taking a wizz and leaving, or taking a wizz and touching a faucet where 100's or 1000's of people have sneezed, coughed and hocked loogies over/on and rubbing hand soap which at least a few guys used after returning from a suspiciously long visit to the cubicle.

Carry a hand sanitiser, which doesn't need water. I wouldn't touch those faucets at all.

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3981 on: February 06, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »

I've started to notice that whenever I visit a public restroom these days that some Koreans will actually wait and watch to see what I'm going to do, and if I start washing my hands, they will, too. Although they normally skip the soap and just make their hands a little wet.

There might be a spread of public awareness and pressure to start washing hands because I'm also finding that I'm not having to use my own personal bottle of hand soap as often because I'm finding more soap dispensers where there didn't used to be, and half the time they're actually filled!

I mean is this just me?

I do a lot of highway driving, so I use the rest stops on a regular basis.  I see more hand-washing at the ones which have recently been renovated.

They have liquid soap, hot water, and hand driers that work (for now).

I do agree that I still see some "ceremonial" hand-washing.

Is it really such a bad idea to forego the handwashing considering the choices?
I'd rather not wash my hands if the choice was between taking a wizz and leaving, or taking a wizz and touching a faucet where 100's or 1000's of people have sneezed, coughed and hocked loogies over/on and rubbing hand soap which at least a few guys used after returning from a suspiciously long visit to the cubicle.

Carry a hand sanitiser, which doesn't need water. I wouldn't touch those faucets at all.

I thought that's why there has been such a push towards automatic everything? I'm not that old but by the time I graduated high school, we had automatic faucets in every bathroom.

I know a lot of women who don't touch faucets but instead use the side of their arm or elbow to turn them on/off, or use a paper towel, or use the soap/water they are using to wash the faucets before they turn them off. There are definitely ways to avoid gross faucets and still wash your hands. I guess the worst offenders are those who just run their hands under cold water for 3 three seconds and consider themselves clean. Not only did they just wipe and not effectively wash their hands, they've touched dirty faucets for no reason!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3982 on: February 06, 2017, 02:14:41 PM »

I knew someone who ended up with terrible fungal problems on her hands due to her use of hand sanitizer.

Good old-fashioned soap and water doesn't do that, and it's not that hard to bypass a dirty faucet. I'll use hand sanitizer if it's the only thing available, but I try not to make a habit out of it.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3983 on: February 06, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
I'm not going to get much sympathy, I know, but I'm losing my office and will be downgraded to a cubicle. Adding yet another empty room, or something.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3984 on: February 06, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
I'm not going to get much sympathy, I know, but I'm losing my office and will be downgraded to a cubicle. Adding yet another empty room, or something.

I know your pain. It's one thing to never know the pleasures, but when you do and you have it ripped away from you, it's like losing a piece of your sanity.

On the plus side, smaller spaces are easier to decorate and personalize.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 02:24:33 PM by Chinguetti »

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3985 on: February 06, 2017, 02:39:20 PM »

I worked at a place in Canada that kept large areas of floor space vacant, yet crammed staff into high-density cubicles.

When I (as a middle manager) asked about more space for my team, I was told that the accountants "write off" the unused space, so occupying space in a building that the company owned would actually cost us money.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3986 on: February 06, 2017, 02:53:21 PM »

I worked at a place in Canada that kept large areas of floor space vacant, yet crammed staff into high-density cubicles.

When I (as a middle manager) asked about more space for my team, I was told that the accountants "write off" the unused space, so occupying space in a building that the company owned would actually cost us money.

I would love for that to be the reason. More likely I didn't lick the correct arseholes.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3987 on: February 06, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »

This is incredibly interesting, but it also seems incredibly counter-productive. I wonder how much they were saving with the write off.

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3988 on: February 07, 2017, 08:31:50 AM »
So done with deskwarming.  I'm looking forward to the other teachers and students coming back later this week.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3989 on: February 07, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
So done with deskwarming.  I'm looking forward to the other teachers and students coming back later this week.

I always think that too and then they all come back and I'm just like....  :huh:

Found out one of my new schools for next semester is like a two hour bus ride away  :cry: Will probably be able to get a ride but its so frustrating!

Online denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3990 on: February 07, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »

I always think that too and then they all come back and I'm just like....  :huh:

Found out one of my new schools for next semester is like a two hour bus ride away  :cry: Will probably be able to get a ride but its so frustrating!
Do you mean an hour each way, or two hours one way?  That's still a really long commute.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3991 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:11 AM »
I don't know what's worse, desk warming, or being in school while classes are happening but being told your morning classes dont exist for the rest of the semester (but you still need to be here in the morning) and you're supposed to take it easy and show movies in the afternoon. There's something about waiting around for 4 hours to go press play that's driving me crazy o.o

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3992 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Basically my cycle through deskwarming: Wooo! --> Booo --> Cool --> Where did it go?

This week I only have classes on Thurs. cause none of my travel schools need me but depending on if there's any schedule changes I might not get that either, hah

It's nice to see everyone again but it's also weird that the school is suddenly full of life once more.

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3993 on: February 07, 2017, 09:12:45 AM »

Do you mean an hour each way, or two hours one way?  That's still a really long commute.

Yeah, aren't they supposed to set it up so that your farthest school is no more than an hour-long commute?

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3994 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
Actually on the Epik/JLP applications, there's a checkbox indicating acceptance that commutes may be upwards of 60 minutes.

Nearly 2 hours one way sounds ridiculous though, if that's the case.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3995 on: February 07, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »

Yeah, aren't they supposed to set it up so that your farthest school is no more than an hour-long commute?

I mean two hours each way...and thats by bus. To be fair its like probably 40 minutes in a car but I don't have one.

It would involve two buses, one to the other end of the city that takes such a roundabout way that it takes almost an hour.
Then a second country bus that would be almost another hour. I think the fastest route on naver by bus was 1 hour 40 but I have to walk to stops.

I live as far away as is possible, there are other teachers who live closer....in fact that school already has a foreign teacher, that likes it, and they want to keep her but they are changing everyone around so she is moving and I will take her place. It's ridiculous.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:20:01 AM by Pennypie »

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3996 on: February 07, 2017, 09:20:24 AM »
I mean two hours each way...and thats by bus. To be fair its like probably 40 minutes in a car but I don't have one.

I live as far away as is possible, there are other teachers who live closer....in fact that school already has a foreign teacher, that likes it, and they want to keep her but they are changing everyone around so she is moving and I will take her place. It's ridiculous.

That sucks, I'm sorry. I hope you'll be able to carpool with someone.

I've been thinking about buying a scooter myself just to save time on commuting to work, but I've been hesitant about it because of the craziness I see on the roads here.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3997 on: February 07, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
Sorry so to be clear, that commute is four hours a day then?  That would be an instant 'nope' from me.

Also I didn't realise that teachers can get moved and then replaced by someone new. 

Madness and, dare I say, a kick in the teeth for that teacher who wants to stay at their school!

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3998 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:49 AM »
Nope, unfortunately not.  :sad:
This upcoming year I will have 4 schools (I'm already missing my old school and I haven't even left yet!) 2 of which are about two and a half hours apart (by public transit). I'm now frantically scrambling to buy a car and find my own housing as close to the midway point as possible......  >:(

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3999 on: February 07, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »

It would involve two buses, one to the other end of the city that takes such a roundabout way that it takes almost an hour.
Then a second country bus that would be almost another hour. I think the fastest route on naver by bus was 1 hour 40 but I have to walk to stops.

I may have to deal with this as well. I found out that I am teaching schools in an area that will take two buses to get to, one bus to the main town is an hour, then whatever time it then takes to get to the rural schools. Hoping to find out this week if I can just move to this smaller town rather than have to travel.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne