September 21, 2017, 09:38:29 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 485092 times)

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3920 on: December 29, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »
Do you deny the magnificence of that mane??

i dont :-[

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3921 on: December 29, 2016, 02:43:15 PM »
Shared food stresses me out SO much.  That's the downside of regular school not being in session.  I want my own tray that no one else can touch!
Can you explain?

Why do you share food when school is not in regular session?

I take it your cafeteria is closed, but why does that equate to sharing food?

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3922 on: December 29, 2016, 03:12:38 PM »
Shared food stresses me out SO much.  That's the downside of regular school not being in session.  I want my own tray that no one else can touch!
Can you explain?

It's fairly common for the remaining teachers to order delivery and eat it communally during seasonal breaks. It's happened at all of the schools I've worked at, at least.

I tend to just bring my own food so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm soooooo far past the point of caring what my coworkers think of me as a result. Maybe sixtieshappy isn't there yet.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3923 on: December 29, 2016, 03:14:04 PM »
Can you explain?

Sometimes when school is out of session, CT and any other teachers who happen to be at school order delivery "Chinese food" and eat together... usually this involves sharing of some sort. Maybe that's what @sixtieshappy is talking about...

Of course if shared food freaks you out just bring your own lunch and politely decline anything offered to you.

edit: Mister Tim beat me to the punch  :laugh:

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3924 on: December 29, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
What the h3ll is the point of sending students to class forty minutes late?

Some students got to have a pizza party today for some reason, which is fine. The teacher throwing the party, however, ended it 5 minutes before the end of the class hour and sent the students on to their classes, which isn't fine. I had kids rocking in with five minutes left of class, yammering about the pizza they ate and passing around the bottle of coke they brought with them.

Wonderful.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3925 on: December 29, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
:laugh: I love being petty. I remember my former co-teacher at my first school used to always throw shade at me in terms of what I looked like, how I dressed, etc., etc., and it was really obvious that she was jealous (not saying I'm hot or anything; I don't know why she felt that way, but she did). I got really fed up with almost a year of this, so one day, during lunch, when a teacher commented on my new blouse saying she loves the way it flows because I have such a thin frame, I brushed it off, saying that I wasn't sure when I was buying it if it would suit me so that she would say it again and I can subtly rub it in my co-teacher's face.

It is just so satisfying when you can be petty in a way where you're not actually doing anything wrong. It's just my way of saying that I can throw rocks harder than they can.

And yeah, I don't feel that I'm hot or anything myself, but I do get a lot of shade from certain types of people here that is purely fueled out of insecurity and jealousy. The fact is that, as foreigners, we're different, and that holds a lot of appeal and can lead to a lot of attention on several fronts. xD

About the foreigner thing, that is so true. I'm Korean-American, so I don't even really seem that different from any of the teachers, but that co-teacher used to actually point out to students that they seem more enthusiastic to see me and they never say hello to her. She actually pulled the "It's because she's a foreigner and I'm not" card. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was simultaneously laughing at her (on the inside) and embarrassed for her for being so childish. This isn't a popularity contest, but if it really mattered, maybe she could just change her attitude. :rolleyes:

And yeah, whenever I got the opportunity to fish for compliments from other people, if she was around, you bet I would do it.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3926 on: December 29, 2016, 03:20:47 PM »

Some students got to have a pizza party today for some reason, which is fine. The teacher throwing the party, however, ended it 5 minutes before the end of the class hour and sent the students on to their classes, which isn't fine. I had kids rocking in with five minutes left of class, yammering about the pizza they ate and passing around the bottle of coke they brought with them.

Wonderful.

So... you got a free period and didn't have to teach?

That is wonderful.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3927 on: December 29, 2016, 03:40:15 PM »
Can you explain?

It's fairly common for the remaining teachers to order delivery and eat it communally during seasonal breaks. It's happened at all of the schools I've worked at, at least.

I tend to just bring my own food so I don't have to worry about it, but I'm soooooo far past the point of caring what my coworkers think of me as a result. Maybe sixtieshappy isn't there yet.
I understand some teachers wanting to order and eat together (I've never participated due to dietary restrictions).

I was seeking clarification, as the user made it sound like he/she didn't have an option,

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3928 on: December 29, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »

Wonderful.

So... you got a free period and didn't have to teach?

That is wonderful.

No. Most of the students were in class the entire period. It was only two students who came in late. The pizza party was for members of some club.

It wasn't wonderful.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3929 on: December 29, 2016, 04:20:04 PM »
Can you explain?

I understand some teachers wanting to order and eat together (I've never participated due to dietary restrictions).

I was seeking clarification, as the user made it sound like he/she didn't have an option,

Yeah basically I'm never kept abreast of what's going on.

Many days last year we'd all go to a restaurant by our school whose food I really liked but was also communal.  So I wouldn't want to bring my own food in case we ended up going there.  Sometimes they make me pay and order individual portions from some delivery service.  Yesterday my ct yammered something about how when I have camp in a few weeks I'm just going to be eating "bread and juice" that the students have as their snack for my lunch because she can order me extra.  Today the teachers ordered communal food that just showed up and no one asked me to pay.

It stressed me out today because I eat a LOT.  The female teachers basically pick at everything and eat what looks like 100 calories worth.  The only person who eats as much as me is the PE/disciplinarian teacher.  They got four rows of kimbap and there were four of us, so naturally I want them to split it four ways so I can have my own in front of me that no one else touches but of course they keep them all in the middle and the more appealing one was further away from me.  And then they made two individual sized bowls of instant ramen for the four of us to split ffs.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3930 on: December 29, 2016, 04:40:05 PM »
The whole communal food thing really gets to me.

Someone buys a cake for the office and we all sit around the table.  Instead of cutting a small slice for every person, only one big slice is cut and we all have to share it.

Go to a restaurant with my coworkers.  We all choose what we want (seperate dishes).  The food arrives and suddenly I'm forced to spoon half of my dish into other bowls in return for food that I don't like (if I wanted it I would've ordered it).

It's an aspect of Korean culture that I'll never understand.

Offline zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3931 on: December 29, 2016, 04:47:07 PM »
So you all dip your eating utensils into the noodle bowl? Charming.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3932 on: December 29, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
They ate little portions of the noodles out of those stupid tiny paper cups.

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3933 on: December 29, 2016, 04:54:22 PM »
Can you explain?

They got four rows of kimbap and there were four of us, so naturally I want them to split it four ways so I can have my own in front of me that no one else touches but of course they keep them all in the middle and the more appealing one was further away from me.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3934 on: December 29, 2016, 04:58:27 PM »
Can you explain?

They got four rows of kimbap and there were four of us, so naturally I want them to split it four ways so I can have my own in front of me that no one else touches but of course they keep them all in the middle and the more appealing one was further away from me.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Yup, the donkas kind.  A literal tragedy.  I assumed all the kimbaps were the same until I heard them talking about donkas.  I had been eating some with some weird unknown possible vegetable.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3935 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »

Yup, the donkas kind.  A literal tragedy.  I assumed all the kimbaps were the same until I heard them talking about donkas.  I had been eating some with some weird unknown possible vegetable.

If you haven't had the 돈까스 김밥 from the 고봉민 (Gobongmin) shops I'd suggest giving it a try. One of my faves  ;D

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3936 on: December 29, 2016, 05:06:16 PM »

If you haven't had the 돈까스 김밥 from the 고봉민 (Gobongmin) shops I'd suggest giving it a try. One of my faves  ;D

Is that a regional franchise? I've never seen one in Seoul.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3937 on: December 29, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »
Today has been a really mixed bag. On the one hand, someone brought a bunch of food and the principal just came around giving big bags of ddok to everyone for ddokguk. That was really nice.

On the other hand I had to do a ton of work on short notice and felt really sick today and wanted to go home and my computer is acting up so I can't listen to music and now I'm mad at my boyfriend so just generally in a terrible mood.

I want to be happy because of the food and the ddok but I'm just like
 >:( >:( >:( :evil: :evil: :evil: :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: :cry: :cry: :cry:

« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 05:16:55 PM by moonbrie »

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3938 on: December 29, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »

Is that a regional franchise? I've never seen one in Seoul.

I've seen them in Gyeonggi-do for sure. Not sure about Seoul proper. There's one in my neighborhood of Ulsan though so I think it's national.

Online Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3939 on: December 29, 2016, 09:58:16 PM »
OK.

This is a rant thread (I get it), and I know you aren't looking for a solution.

That said, it doesn't sound like this is much a priority to you. If it were, you would bring or order your own food, rather than continually sponge off of the good graces of your colleagues.

I mean, what breed of ingrate complains about free food that they DON'T have to eat in the first place?

This is a situation of your own design.

Most "adults" take ownership and responsibility to plan ahead and provide for themselves, do they not?

What are we missing?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment