January 24, 2018, 06:09:34 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 655625 times)

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3880 on: January 17, 2017, 01:00:05 PM »
The request was for a forum for people who live in Korea, but whose profession is not english teacher.

Not a non-English language forum.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3881 on: January 17, 2017, 01:07:07 PM »
The request was for a forum for people who live in Korea, but whose profession is not english teacher.

Oh. So you meant "non English-teachers", not "non-English teachers"? Darn. I spent entire minutes on starting a non-English teacher thread because of that hyphen!  :cry:
    Oh well. You could still try posting stuff in the relevant region under the "international" sub-forum...

And by the way, my favourite punctuation mark to misplace is the following:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:27:25 PM by kyndo »

Offline bigfishlittlefish

• Veteran
« Reply #3882 on: January 17, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
Please enjoy the thread

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3883 on: January 17, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »

A lot of the Facebook groups are not job specific. For example OINK or Every Expat in Korea. Try there.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3884 on: January 17, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
It would be best if the owner of the site would simply start a NOT ENGLISH TEACHERS sub-forum, we do not want lazy work arounds, we want what we want. Thanks.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3885 on: January 17, 2017, 01:17:49 PM »
It would be best if the owner of the site would simply start a NOT ENGLISH TEACHERS sub-forum, we do not want lazy work arounds, we want what we want. Thanks.

We being....you?

Start your own forum, Pay for the website etc.

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3886 on: January 17, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
We being....you?

...and the other 17 or so non-teachers non-military in Korea.

No, my profession is not "website guy". I would prefer this site start that sub-forum, as I already clearly stated.

Offline Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3887 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:08 PM »
We being....you?

No, my profession is not "website guy". I would prefer this site start that sub-forum, as I already clearly stated.

Okay okay now i get what your doing  :afro: 8) :afro:

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3888 on: January 17, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
We being....you?

You could check out r/korea (https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/), seems to be a bit less teacher-orientated

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3889 on: January 17, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
...or this site could just start a non-teacher sub-forum. It's not rocket science.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3890 on: January 17, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
...or this site could just start a non-teacher sub-forum. It's not rocket science.
     But it *is* a lot of work for, as you said, what will likely turn out to be very very few participants.

And to be fair, the front page of Waygook states that this website "is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea".

That said, I would enjoy having another sub-forum to browse through. Start a petition, get everybody to send Arsalan or one of the mods a PM and maybe you could get it to happen. And as google translate tells me* your countrymen often say: 祝你好運!!!!  :smiley:

*Do not trust electronic translations or else you will end up with this.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 01:41:23 PM by kyndo »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3891 on: January 17, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
^lol! I never before noticed the smaller text that says, "Cheap, fast & easy"  :laugh:

Offline Ptolemy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3892 on: January 17, 2017, 02:02:46 PM »
Right...

"Waygook is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea"
"Dave's, for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World"

Which makes there no non-teacher discussion forum in Korea. Which is the same old problem that has existed here for years...except nobody realizes it is a problem...because they are all English teachers and assume everyone else is also. Hence my complaining on this complaint thread!

The word "Waygook" does not require one to be an English teacher. It is a well-named site, they can effortlessly expand their market by creating a forum for non-teachers to come and discuss non-teacher stuff (simply requires someone getting off their lazy butt and making a sub-forum, which takes what 10min and some coffee on a Sunday?). This would also differentiate the site from Dave's Ultra Lame ESL Cafe. Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.

We don't like posting surrounded by English teachers, it makes us feel dirty. Our own space please, thanks.  ;D

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3893 on: January 17, 2017, 02:14:25 PM »
Right...

"Waygook is geared towards EFL/ESL teachers in South Korea"
"Dave's, for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World"

Which makes there no non-teacher discussion forum in Korea. Which is the same old problem that has existed here for years...except nobody realizes it is a problem...because they are all English teachers and assume everyone else is also. Hence my complaining on this complaint thread!

The word "Waygook" does not require one to be an English teacher. It is a well-named site, they can effortlessly expand their market by creating a forum for non-teachers to come and discuss non-teacher stuff (simply requires someone getting off their lazy butt and making a sub-forum, which takes what 10min and some coffee on a Sunday?). This would also differentiate the site from Dave's Ultra Lame ESL Cafe. Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.

We don't like posting surrounded by English teachers, it makes us feel dirty. Our own space please, thanks.  ;D

This website is geared up for this already.  The open forum, life in Korea forum, and all the others cover all topics relating to life in Korea.  If you want to feel special, donate to an orphange.  Creating a new forum to do what the main forum already does is ludicrous, as the number of people likely to use it would not be worth the effort. 

There is nothing in the rules that state all posts have to be relevant to teachers only.

Henry Ford: "you can have an colour you want, so long as it is black"
Ptolemy: "I want a pink one with green spots"

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3894 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
Right...
Also there are lots of contractors who pass thru on business meetings with Samsung and such, and kyopos who are basically foreigners working here in non-teacher jobs, who would like a professional non-teacher forum to post about life in Korea.
Soooo...
...what's stopping you from starting a new thread to gather names of those who would be interested in this? Stop ranting in the ranting thread and start gathering interested persons in the gathering interested persons thread.

Might be that with enough PMs you'll catch the attention of the powers that be.

Be the change you want to see in the world Waygook!
Fight for your right to party convene with your peers!
Power to the (non English-teacher) people!

Anywho, as you yourself said, it's easy to knock a good thing, but I think most of us (dirty ESL teachers) think Waygook is pretty cool as is.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:48:28 PM by kyndo »

Offline Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3895 on: January 17, 2017, 05:55:47 PM »

This website is geared up for this already.  The open forum, life in Korea forum, and all the others cover all topics relating to life in Korea. 

That's kinda what I was thinking. What sort of things does someone living in Korea need to know about that wouldn't be covered in those sub-forums? Is the answer to questions like "What do I do with my recyclables" not the same for non-teachers? Is it really just an "I want to associate with people who aren't teachers" thing?

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3896 on: January 18, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
wow I'm glad I wasn't here for that bs

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #3897 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:23 AM »
Henry Ford: "you can have an colour you want, so long as it is black"
Ptolemy: "I want a pink one with green spots"

I recommend this one!
 :laugh:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3898 on: January 18, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »
Internet keeps cutting out, there's construction happening directly outside the office... time for an extended lunch break   :angel:

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3899 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »
That's kinda what I was thinking. What sort of things does someone living in Korea need to know about that wouldn't be covered in those sub-forums? Is the answer to questions like "What do I do with my recyclables" not the same for non-teachers? Is it really just an "I want to associate with people who aren't teachers" thing?

Non teachers might not want to read the endless discussions on what's the cheapest way to do everything.