September 27, 2017, 03:30:35 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 492549 times)

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3820 on: December 26, 2016, 04:06:03 PM »
Actually i'm looking forward to deskwarming so i can work on some personal projects and maybe do some reading. Of course more vacation time would be preferable but I'm just ready for any kind of break

Yeah, EVERYONE else is working their office jobs and you get to chill and do whatever you want and get paid. Would I RATHER be doing something else?  Of course. I'd rather be a movie star, too. Take what you can get.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape at the prospect of deskwarming. You're paid to go to work. You are contractually obligated to be there. I understand some people hate it but there are far worse things you could be doing.

Some people just have really nice set-ups at work. I'm in the same office as my VP, so deskwarming is a whole lot of awkward. I have to constantly be "on," if that makes any sense. Over summer vacation, it took me a whole ten minutes to clean up after camp and she was calling me to make sure I hadn't left. I mean... there's just no privacy.

One other teacher comes each day, and he/she always takes the desk right next to mine. I have to eat whatever they order for lunch even if I don't like it. I understand that a lot of people don't mind deskwarming, and I DO realize it's in the contract. I'm posting a vent about how annoying it is to me personally.... But I recognize that my school situation is vastly different from most other teachers.

If I had my own cozy little office (or even if I could stay in the English classroom after camp), I think I'd love deskwarming.

That's a valid complaint. As for lunch, that's incredibly rude that the VP and other teacher don't even bother asking if what they're ordering is okay for you. Unless of course they're paying for it and giving it to you. Then it's kind of nice. In a slightly misguided way.

Ooo yeah that would suck. Totally understandable. Only one of my schools even has a VP and it isn't my main school where I deskwarm.

Personally I do prefer having at least one other body in the office though. But currently nobody in the teacher's office is intolerable or cares what I'm doing so the company is nice even if we don't really talk.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3821 on: December 26, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
Urgh yes same. I especially wouldn't mind if my desk was real comfy but... it's just so weird even if you are alone but you have a big open concept type office like at my school. I just want to feel comfortable/cozy and I don't.

I might just stay up all night during my deskwarming days and then nap in the nap room for 8 hours lmao

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3822 on: December 26, 2016, 04:15:16 PM »
Actually i'm looking forward to deskwarming so i can work on some personal projects and maybe do some reading. Of course more vacation time would be preferable but I'm just ready for any kind of break

Yeah, EVERYONE else is working their office jobs and you get to chill and do whatever you want and get paid. Would I RATHER be doing something else?  Of course. I'd rather be a movie star, too. Take what you can get.

Exactly. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape at the prospect of deskwarming. You're paid to go to work. You are contractually obligated to be there. I understand some people hate it but there are far worse things you could be doing.

Some people just have really nice set-ups at work. I'm in the same office as my VP, so deskwarming is a whole lot of awkward. I have to constantly be "on," if that makes any sense. Over summer vacation, it took me a whole ten minutes to clean up after camp and she was calling me to make sure I hadn't left. I mean... there's just no privacy.

One other teacher comes each day, and he/she always takes the desk right next to mine. I have to eat whatever they order for lunch even if I don't like it. I understand that a lot of people don't mind deskwarming, and I DO realize it's in the contract. I'm posting a vent about how annoying it is to me personally.... But I recognize that my school situation is vastly different from most other teachers.

If I had my own cozy little office (or even if I could stay in the English classroom after camp), I think I'd love deskwarming.

Right, I forgot about the whole office thing. :blank: Yeah, that would make a huge difference. I always forget because I have my classroom to myself. Also, if I get bored, there's another contract teacher in my school who also deskwarms that I'm kind of close to, so that's another thing. :blank:

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3823 on: December 26, 2016, 04:17:11 PM »
I'm still kind of surprised MOE requires us to deskwarm anyways, it's kind of just pissing money away on utilities. It's not benefiting us nor them, just kind of feels like at this point they just keep it in policy out of spite considering there really isn't a good reason for it.
Why do you say that?

You do know why "deskwarming" came about, right?

If so, then you would know it was for "good" reason.

Too many short-sighted mental midgets kept comparing and complaining, while others were too boastful of their gravy-train.

My school controls the electricity for the aircon and for the heater (it's the same unit), and they don't allow its use in my office during either break.

I about froze last winter, so I just stopped coming in to "desk-warm" and no one said a word to me.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3824 on: December 26, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »

I might just stay up all night during my deskwarming days and then nap in the nap room for 8 hours lmao

;D ;D ;D ;D
That's incredibly efficient

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3825 on: December 26, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
I'm still kind of surprised MOE requires us to deskwarm anyways, it's kind of just pissing money away on utilities. It's not benefiting us nor them, just kind of feels like at this point they just keep it in policy out of spite considering there really isn't a good reason for it.
Why do you say that?

Too many short-sighted mental midgets kept comparing and complaining, while others were too boastful of their gravy-train.

My school controls the electricity for the aircon and for the heater (it's the same unit), and they don't allow its use in my office during either break.

I about froze last winter, so I just stopped coming in to "desk-warm" and no one said a word to me.

Did you literally just use the term 'short-sighted mental midgets'?

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3826 on: December 26, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
Trying to decide if it's worth complaining that the admin office opened something that was addressed to me. I mean, it's from the office of education, so are they allowed to in those cases? Maybe they didn't notice it was addressed to me? What to do, what to do...

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3827 on: December 26, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

idk if I'll actually be able to manage it, but it's a good plan in theory!

Offline Pecan

• The Legend
« Reply #3828 on: December 26, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »
Why do you say that?

Did you literally just use the term 'short-sighted mental midgets'?
My apologies if I offended.

You do know what it means, right?

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3829 on: December 26, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

idk if I'll actually be able to manage it, but it's a good plan in theory!

I have my own office and an adequate mattress. I might also try this. Maybe just European lunches.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3830 on: December 26, 2016, 04:33:06 PM »
Trying to decide if it's worth complaining that the admin office opened something that was addressed to me. I mean, it's from the office of education, so are they allowed to in those cases? Maybe they didn't notice it was addressed to me? What to do, what to do...

illegal my friend. this is according to Article 3 - (Protection of Secrets of Communications and Conversation) of the Protection of Communications Secrets Act (통신비밀보호법).

i would raise a stink about it.

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3831 on: December 26, 2016, 04:46:03 PM »

illegal my friend. this is according to Article 3 - (Protection of Secrets of Communications and Conversation) of the Protection of Communications Secrets Act (통신비밀보호법).

i would raise a stink about it.

It was carelessness, apparently. I brought it up, and it seems the staff were just in "Ignore anything not written in hangeul"-mode. My name is there in English, but everything underneath it is just the school's address in Korean, so they just assumed it was for the school in general and opened it.

I can't imagine what else they'd have thought some random English in an addressee field would be, but whatever. I've asked that they be more careful in the future.

Offline tomoconnor89

• Adventurer
« Reply #3832 on: December 26, 2016, 04:46:10 PM »
Now for a rant:

People keep moving my ****** shoes/slippers

I'd been using the same shoe cubby for over 6 months, when one day I came to school, and my shoes were gone. Whatever. They were cheapy inside slippers I had bought from a subway store for the summer. I brought my cold weather slippers back. All was peaceful... for a time

One day I go to put on my shoes at the end of the day and someone just straight up PUT THEIR SHOES ON TOP OF MINE. TF? There are plenty of cubbies. This is unecessary. When I put on my shoes I find a different cubby to put my slippers in.

One day I can't find my shoes when I go to put them on after work. I find them in a completely different shoe cubby cabinet. WHY?

My shoes were moved within the same cabinet again recently but it's been a bit since anyone's moved them. Still. Why.

I teach at a middle school with ten students, out in the sticks. I have size 12 feet, and the biggest spare pair of slippers is a size 7, but they're comfortable enough if I really kick my toes in and let my heels peek over the back.

But, there is one particularly small boy in third grade who gets in early every day I teach there and TAKES THE SIZE SEVENS EVERY TIME. All the other slippers are miniatures and, as if out of spite, odd sizes.

I see him and his tiny feet, gliding down the empty corridors in a pair of canoes, whilst I wince my way past, size 4 on my left foot, 5 on my right, toes splayed irregularly, catching door frames, heels clattering against the cold marble floor. And I am damn sure he grins every time he passes.

I suppose I could bring in my own slippers, but sometimes I just enjoy being indignant about absurd, easily resolvable situations. It's fantastic waygook fodder.

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3833 on: December 26, 2016, 05:02:44 PM »
Now for a rant:

People keep moving my ****** shoes/slippers

I'd been using the same shoe cubby for over 6 months, when one day I came to school, and my shoes were gone. Whatever. They were cheapy inside slippers I had bought from a subway store for the summer. I brought my cold weather slippers back. All was peaceful... for a time

One day I go to put on my shoes at the end of the day and someone just straight up PUT THEIR SHOES ON TOP OF MINE. TF? There are plenty of cubbies. This is unecessary. When I put on my shoes I find a different cubby to put my slippers in.

One day I can't find my shoes when I go to put them on after work. I find them in a completely different shoe cubby cabinet. WHY?

My shoes were moved within the same cabinet again recently but it's been a bit since anyone's moved them. Still. Why.

I teach at a middle school with ten students, out in the sticks. I have size 12 feet, and the biggest spare pair of slippers is a size 7, but they're comfortable enough if I really kick my toes in and let my heels peek over the back.

But, there is one particularly small boy in third grade who gets in early every day I teach there and TAKES THE SIZE SEVENS EVERY TIME. All the other slippers are miniatures and, as if out of spite, odd sizes.

I see him and his tiny feet, gliding down the empty corridors in a pair of canoes, whilst I wince my way past, size 4 on my left foot, 5 on my right, toes splayed irregularly, catching door frames, heels clattering against the cold marble floor. And I am damn sure he grins every time he passes.

I suppose I could bring in my own slippers, but sometimes I just enjoy being indignant about absurd, easily resolvable situations. It's fantastic waygook fodder.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3834 on: December 26, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
Day 1 of camp, we're making mug pizzas today, which I highly recommend.
http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/news/a37466/pizza-in-a-mug-recipe/

My CT confirmed that she had all the materials last week. Today, just as we're about to start class, she tells me she forget to get the flour and would it still be OK to make the pizza... After taking a moment to close my eyes and ask the Lord for strength, I ask her if she's heard of a pizza without flour... No. Anyways, I tell her where the supermarket is and send her ass to go buy some flour.
By 2nd period she's got the flour and we're good to go. She's a great CT and friend, but incredibly ditzy. Last camp we made mug cakes, the primary ingredient being 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, she comes to school with a tiny 50g packet of cocoa powder... For 20 students.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3835 on: December 27, 2016, 04:40:53 PM »
Not a rant, but more relevant to the recent discussion of deskwarming...

So my coT isn't gonna be here for camp this time (which is fine, these are responsible middle school kids. If it was elementary, I'd be a little stressed out) and today asked if I could keep track of attendance throughout camp. No problem.

Then she asked if I could keep attendance of... myself. Haha? Apparently some higher ups are requiring sign-in sheets for NETs. Idk if it's just my county or what. I guess they don't trust NETs to show up and deskwarm. Kind of annoying, not a huge deal, but really?  :undecided:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3836 on: December 28, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
Finding a decent place to live in Seoul is miserable. Everything that's new or remodeled has awful built-in washing machines and gas / electric ranges. Everything older is scummy and dirty.

And everything is offensively expensive.

Offline denimdaze

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3837 on: December 28, 2016, 12:30:05 PM »
Staff dinner last night.  Samgyapsal.  Now my winter coat smells like fried pork.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3838 on: December 28, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
Finding a decent place to live in Seoul is miserable. Everything that's new or remodeled has awful built-in washing machines and gas / electric ranges. Everything older is scummy and dirty.

Buying or renting? 

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3839 on: December 28, 2016, 01:09:30 PM »

why don't you like built in washing machines or cooking ranges?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment