November 19, 2017, 11:54:27 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564879 times)

Offline chrisinkorea2011

• Veteran
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3760 on: December 29, 2016, 09:47:32 AM »
I just found out that there's been some talk about the way I dress.

I actually don't really dress any differently than any of the other teachers here, but my clothes look different on me because I have a very, very different build. All the same, I'm not showing any skin that would be inappropriate in the Korean workplace, and nothing is tight.

While most of the staff and faculty don't see a problem with my clothes, there's a small group who feel like I should "cover up" more, which basically means that they want me to start wearing clothing two sizes too big for me or to wear a jacket constantly throughout the day.

Are they ****** kidding me?

One of my friends had a "talking to" when she first got here because of a dress she was wearing. It wasn't revealing (even had sleeves) but the issue was that she had an average bum size which apparently equates to large here. Supposedly [elementary] school boys were complaining that it was distracting, or so sayeth her coT.

I got a talking to about dresses I wore a few times. One had a sufficiently high neckline, but was fairly form-fitting around the bust, and I was told "you'd better zip up your jacket because the boys are very curious about the woman's body"

Uh ok

Another time I got in trouble for a dress which has a slit on the side although I was wearing opaque leggings because they could "see my leg" even though I've worn my courdoroy leggings as pants without incident... sigh

The ol' double standard. I have a co-teacher who basically spent half of summer wearing hot pants (at least 80% of her thigh above the knee was visible). Another teacher wears exceptionally tight miniskirts. To be fair, they were both able to pull it off ^^

What school do you work at? Of course my curiosity is entirely due to scientific purposes

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3761 on: December 29, 2016, 09:55:06 AM »
I just found out that there's been some talk about the way I dress.

I actually don't really dress any differently than any of the other teachers here, but my clothes look different on me because I have a very, very different build. All the same, I'm not showing any skin that would be inappropriate in the Korean workplace, and nothing is tight.

While most of the staff and faculty don't see a problem with my clothes, there's a small group who feel like I should "cover up" more, which basically means that they want me to start wearing clothing two sizes too big for me or to wear a jacket constantly throughout the day.

Are they ****** kidding me?

One of my friends had a "talking to" when she first got here because of a dress she was wearing. It wasn't revealing (even had sleeves) but the issue was that she had an average bum size which apparently equates to large here. Supposedly [elementary] school boys were complaining that it was distracting, or so sayeth her coT.

I got a talking to about dresses I wore a few times. One had a sufficiently high neckline, but was fairly form-fitting around the bust, and I was told "you'd better zip up your jacket because the boys are very curious about the woman's body"

Uh ok

Another time I got in trouble for a dress which has a slit on the side although I was wearing opaque leggings because they could "see my leg" even though I've worn my courdoroy leggings as pants without incident... sigh

The ol' double standard. I have a co-teacher who basically spent half of summer wearing hot pants (at least 80% of her thigh above the knee was visible). Another teacher wears exceptionally tight miniskirts. To be fair, they were both able to pull it off ^^
Yeah, at my first elementary school, there was a teacher who would wear skirts so short if she even bent at a 75 degree angle you could see her underwear.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3762 on: December 29, 2016, 09:56:14 AM »
I mean, my place is nice, and I only have a 10 million deposit with 500 a month rent. But it's a one room, and I'm tired of having my kitchen in my bedroom. And it's too small to share with a significant other.

If you're only looking at one rooms, it's super possible to find modern, clean, and reasonably sized ones for a fairly affordable price.

I'm also looking for somewhere with space for a significant other, our stuff and a car. I'm trying to keep costs low though as he actually owns a place (his mother is there and I'm refusing to move in with her ha) and who wants to pay rent when you have somewhere you can live for free? He'll contribute, but I'd rather pay the bulk of it.

I hear you on the bedroom/kitchen front. It'd sure be nice to be able to eat dinner somewhere other than sitting on my bed or hear my fridge start up just as I'm drifting off to sleep. I often find as well the pictures of rooms all look okay, newly renovated, then the bathroom or kitchen looks like someone died in it in the 70s and it hasn't been done up since. Wishing us both luck.

Yeah. I'm super fussy about not wanting a built-in washer and gas range, too. So that doesn't help. Also, I can't help but imagine a lot of the fancy bling bling remodeled places are just covering up terrible unrepaired stuff behind the walls.

I'm curious what it is in particular that you have against built-in washers? I preferred having one built in as it took up less space and was a more energy-efficient front loader. My current place has a washing machine included but was just thrown up on bricks in a corner of the bathroom as there's no other real place for it.

I feel your complaints about living in a one-room. I tried to convince my wife to move in to a larger place once we were married, but she insisted on staying at my current place to save money until we have our child. It was small enough - but livable - living there myself. Incredibly 답답해 with two.  We're making it work for the time being, but only one of us can be on our feet at a time :rolleyes: Now that she's pregnant it's even harder. She can't stand most smells so cooking is out (though I'm not at all opposed to going out for ours meals), and I can't even open the fridge with her in the room without her having a very visceral reaction. Two people living there has also increased the moisture content of our room significantly enough that we began having mold problems in some corners. I caught it early enough that it never got too bad and have taken steps to ensure it won't recur, but it's left unsightly stains on the walls. TIME TO MOVE!

Online Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3763 on: December 29, 2016, 10:04:08 AM »
I also had a talk about how my pants and shirt were too fitted, and my jacket looked too old.

Unless they could see the outline of your junk through your clothes, I don't see why it should matter to them.

One time a male teacher tried to advise me not to wear the color orange anymore. He wouldn't give a reason why but I later learned it was because he didn't think the color was professional enough. Meanwhile, he shows up to school wearing green slacks and a neon-purple shirt. I ended up purchasing three more orange shirts and blouses to wear just at this particular school.

Some of these busybodies really need to learn a thing or two about etiquette and not confusing personal tastes for appropriate clothing.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3764 on: December 29, 2016, 10:12:36 AM »
I also had a talk about how my pants and shirt were too fitted, and my jacket looked too old.

Unless they could see the outline of your junk through your clothes, I don't see why it should matter to them.

One time a male teacher tried to advise me not to wear the color orange anymore. He wouldn't give a reason why but I later learned it was because he didn't think the color was professional enough. Meanwhile, he shows up to school wearing green slacks and a neon-purple shirt. I ended up purchasing three more orange shirts and blouses to wear just at this particular school.

Some of these busybodies really need to learn a thing or two about etiquette and not confusing personal tastes for appropriate clothing.
And even then I don't think it matters sometimes because I have seen a lot of Koreans with what seemed to be painted on pants.

Also, good going on the orange. That is absurd.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3765 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:27 AM »
I was just told that because today is the last day before vacation, all teachers are going out for lunch for fish soup and I MUST attend. I really don't like fish. Even though I explained this to my coteachers, they assured me it's okay because "it's not spicy!"

No, spicy isn't the problem, it's the fish. Why can't I choose anything else?  :sad:

Just say, "Sorry, I don't really dig on fish. Is it possible to order something small that I can eat?" Your coworkers aren't monsters.

Yeah I asked that too, but the answer was no. Apparently I'm not allowed to go out and get something on my own either. So soup it is for me then....I hope the sides are decent.

"I'm allergic to fish/seafood, so it is impossible for me to eat it."

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3766 on: December 29, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
If there's one thing people love to do, it's nitpick and micromanage. I hate slippers. It's just a thing. I don't like people seeing my socks. Gross. That's personal.

So, I bought a pair of nice Sperry slip-ons to use as my school shoes. They never go outside, they're indoor only, etc etc. And I had multiple people comment about how 'in Korea we don't wear shoes inside.' Then I explained to them, and they stopped. But yeah. The side-eye is strong here. Or if you're male, heaven forbid you show up to work after skipping a day of shaving.

I had a talking to from a teacher that I spoke too slowly to students when I was teaching. And another teacher a few days later complained that I spoke too quickly, even though I've never changed my 'public speaking / teaching' voice speed or cadence. Peeps love to complain.

I only shave once a week and have had no problems/issues. :o

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3767 on: December 29, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »

:laugh: I love being petty. I remember my former co-teacher at my first school used to always throw shade at me in terms of what I looked like, how I dressed, etc., etc., and it was really obvious that she was jealous (not saying I'm hot or anything; I don't know why she felt that way, but she did). I got really fed up with almost a year of this, so one day, during lunch, when a teacher commented on my new blouse saying she loves the way it flows because I have such a thin frame, I brushed it off, saying that I wasn't sure when I was buying it if it would suit me so that she would say it again and I can subtly rub it in my co-teacher's face.

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #3768 on: December 29, 2016, 10:20:51 AM »
If I don't shave for more than a day or two, my students say "teacher! dirty!" But I think I can get away with more then a gyopo could. There's no way a Korean guy could go to work in a public school with a 6'oclock shadow.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3769 on: December 29, 2016, 10:22:21 AM »
It is the last week of the year, and the workload in the office is doubled, as it does every year this time, as suppliers try to make their year-end targets.

My boss gave the other 2 guys who do the same thing as me Christmas leave so they could go home.

They are both Muslim.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3770 on: December 29, 2016, 10:25:18 AM »
If I don't shave for more than a day or two, my students say "teacher! dirty!" But I think I can get away with more then a gyopo could. There's no way a Korean guy could go to work in a public school with a 6'oclock shadow.

My script:

You say beards are dirty?
Is this guy dirty? (pulls out 1000 won note)
What about this guy? (5000)
And this guy? (10 000)
You know, in my country, we have a word for somebody without a beard.
(50 000)
'Oman

Offline KirbyFan112

• Veteran
« Reply #3771 on: December 29, 2016, 10:29:48 AM »

My script:

You say beards are dirty?
Is this guy dirty? (pulls out 1000 won note)
What about this guy? (5000)
And this guy? (10 000)
You know, in my country, we have a word for somebody without a beard.
(50 000)
'Oman

Pulling out money in my school would not end well :P Plus I donated all my money to the Dokdo cause

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3772 on: December 29, 2016, 10:30:23 AM »
I was looking forward to deskwarming so I can get some peace and quiet away from my new noisy neighbours.

The teacher in the adjoining office is blasting some weird chant music at a deafening level.

I genuinely think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown at some point in the next few days.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3773 on: December 29, 2016, 10:48:16 AM »

I'm taking advantage of this time being the only person in the office by jogging to work unwashed and unshaven and looking generally like a bum.  Just have to be careful who sees me when I'm out for lunch...

I was looking forward to deskwarming so I can get some peace and quiet away from my new noisy neighbours.

The teacher in the adjoining office is blasting some weird chant music at a deafening level.

I genuinely think I'm going to have a nervous breakdown at some point in the next few days.

I'm desk-warming to the beat of jack-hammers on concrete and regular hammers on tile as the school renovates (?) its bathrooms over winter break. Last winter it was a makeover of the library, which is right below the English room where we were teaching camp.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:59:07 AM by donovan »

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3774 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »

I'm taking advantage of this time being the only person in the office by jogging to work unwashed and unshaven and looking generally like a bum.  Just have to be careful who sees me when I'm out for lunch...

Behold the solution:

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3775 on: December 29, 2016, 11:02:13 AM »

Behold the solution:

ㅋㅋ that's supposed to make me not look like a bum? Or simply make me proud that I could (falsely) link it to a long heritage with Nordic roots? :cheesy:

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #3776 on: December 29, 2016, 11:09:41 AM »
Why do you think they started camps? Pressure from the parents? Teachers complaining we have too much time off?

I've read it was because a bunch of NETs kept complaining about the amount of deskwarming they had to do, especially when comparing their own setups to other NETs who were permitted to stay home or take longer vacations at the discretion of their schools.

Desk warming started because foreigners were mass complaining about other people who had better vacations themselves. So the MOE just gave everyone a standard shitty amount of days.

I heard camp started because government employees were browsing around on here and Dave's and read about foreigners bragging how they were just out drinking all night and just came in in the morning to sleep it off. Or they were bragging about other things like playing video games and etc. So the MOE decided to give us busy work instead

To be honest, both are a complete waste of money and not necessary... considering that the office of education is piss poor broke. My school had to change their lunch menu last week of school because they're out of money. But the government can pay the utilities to keep me here inside an empty school. Makes 0 sense. They just do it out spite at this point lmao
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:21:28 AM by Athena »

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3777 on: December 29, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »
Why do you think they started camps? Pressure from the parents? Teachers complaining we have too much time off?

I've read it was because a bunch of NETs kept complaining about the amount of deskwarming they had to do, especially when comparing their own setups to other NETs who were permitted to stay home or take longer vacations at the discretion of their schools.

I heard it started because government employees were browsing around on here and Dave's and read about foreigners bragging how they were just out drinking all night and just came in in the morning to sleep it off. Or they were bragging about other things like playing videos and etc. So the MOE decided to give us busy work instead

Right. A sting operation spearheaded by lead efl-online-forum investigator Ko for the Time-Management Accountability Board at the Department of Foreigners are Lazy.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3778 on: December 29, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »

I heard it started because government employees were browsing around on here and Dave's and read about foreigners bragging how they were just out drinking all night and just came in in the morning to sleep it off. Or they were bragging about other things like playing videos and etc. So the MOE decided to give us busy work instead

Right. A sting operation spearheaded by lead efl-online-forum investigator Ko for the Time-Management Accountability Board at the Department of Foreigners are Lazy.

I wonder if that department has any grant money available?

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3779 on: December 29, 2016, 11:40:31 AM »
here's the kicker about deskwarming: there's actually a category on NEIS for 'working from home' that they could put you down as to let you get out of deskwarming.

all you'd have to do is submit a work plan, and then the fruits of your labor during that period (ppts, lesson plans, whatever).

this is what a lot of korean teachers and especially the contract korean teachers are allowed to do.

how do i know? used to date a korean teacher (not one of my co-teachers in case anyone is wondering) and she filled me in on all this stuff.

BUT it's up to the school - usually head teacher or VP - if the contract teachers are allowed to do this. so if your school makes you do deskwarming - especially if there's nothing specifically in your contract about it - then they either don't know that you can use that category, or they really are making you stay out of spite (like my VP is).