November 19, 2017, 09:15:54 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 564002 times)

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3300 on: December 12, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
I understand why Korean people are so sensitive about Japan, but what I don't understand is when they try to claim something small and insignificant doesn't come from Japan. Teaching the Konglish class when we got to "arbeit" meaning part-time job and I mentioned that this is the word that Japan uses, which is why it came to Korea and they all vehemently deny that suck a thing could happen ...  :blank:

The funny thing is, my students, and (most) of my co-teachers love Japan. I have students that try to be funny by saying things to me in Japanese. When I reply in Japanese they start freaking out a bit haha. When we done a project on other countries a couple months ago, my students were fighting over which group got to study Japan haha.

My co-teacher at my main school (who is the music teacher and speaks no English) has a bunch of pillows on her desk chair that all have Hiragana / Katakana on them. The English teacher at my main school has been to Japan a few times, and enjoys going there. One of the Korean teachers (who retired at the end of the last semester), actually asked the English teacher, to ask me, to help him learn Japanese once they found out I know a bit. :P

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3301 on: December 12, 2016, 03:32:42 PM »
I understand why Korean people are so sensitive about Japan, but what I don't understand is when they try to claim something small and insignificant doesn't come from Japan. Teaching the Konglish class when we got to "arbeit" meaning part-time job and I mentioned that this is the word that Japan uses, which is why it came to Korea and they all vehemently deny that suck a thing could happen ...  :blank:

The funny thing is, my students, and (most) of my co-teachers love Japan. I have students that try to be funny by saying things to me in Japanese. When I reply in Japanese they start freaking out a bit haha. When we done a project on other countries a couple months ago, my students were fighting over which group got to study Japan haha.

My co-teacher at my main school (who is the music teacher and speaks no English) has a bunch of pillows on her desk chair that all have Hiragana / Katakana on them. The English teacher at my main school has been to Japan a few times, and enjoys going there. One of the Korean teachers (who retired at the end of the last semester), actually asked the English teacher, to ask me, to help him learn Japanese once they found out I know a bit. :P

A goodly number of my students are interested in Japan as well, some even saying random words-- I like to throw some basic phrases/questions at them and they get so surprised  :laugh: And in my main school, nobody seems to find Japan offensive (several teachers have gone there for vacation or are planning to) except for admin. creep but he generally acts as though there's a stick up his rear.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3302 on: December 12, 2016, 03:42:50 PM »
That's a paddlin'.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3303 on: December 12, 2016, 03:50:41 PM »

A goodly number of my students are interested in Japan as well, some even saying random words-- I like to throw some basic phrases/questions at them and they get so surprised  :laugh: And in my main school, nobody seems to find Japan offensive (several teachers have gone there for vacation or are planning to) except for admin. creep but he generally acts as though there's a stick up his rear.

My take on it is this: It's ok to like Japanese things individually but it's not ok to like Japan as a whole, if that makes any sense.

Say you like manga, sushi and studying Japanese? Cool! No problem!

Say you like Japan? Bad, Scary, Devil.

My kids are always saying they like this or that Japanese thing, and a bunch of them list Japan as the number 1 place outside of Korea that they want to visit, but the idea of Japan? That's a no-no.

Of course any historical/Dokdo/comfort women topics provoke the nationalistic fervour, as well. Not entirely unjustified, I might add...

Anyway, my CT said this when I asked her thoughts on Japan/the Japanese:

"We really, really hate them. But I think we also respect them."  :undecided:

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3304 on: December 12, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
There are two entrances to the teachers' office. Admin creep enters through one to talk to a teacher. Not unusual. He then exits through the same door, then returns through the other door-- to talk to the same teacher. He leaves through the second door, then goes back to the first door and opens it, but only sticks his head in to talk to someone else.

This all seems entirely inefficient.  :undecided:

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3305 on: December 12, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
Dear Microsoft,

STOP ****** AROUND WITH SKYPE!!

No I don't want you to install some shitty hybrid tablet oriented version of skype on my DESKTOP!

NO, I don't want SKYPE PREVIEW, it sucks SHIT, and has cause me to miss two EPIK interviews... Somehow they were receiving my text etc... but I WAS GETTING NOTHING in return... So Here I am online the whole time, with people trying to contact me, but nothing.. Finally reinstall NORMAL ****** SKYPE! Works like charm, but too late.

Now I look like and ass who can't make interviews, and have been rescheduled and have to wait another week.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #3306 on: December 13, 2016, 06:52:03 AM »
Dear Microsoft,

STOP ****** AROUND WITH SKYPE!!

No I don't want you to install some shitty hybrid tablet oriented version of skype on my DESKTOP!

NO, I don't want SKYPE PREVIEW, it sucks SHIT, and has cause me to miss two EPIK interviews... Somehow they were receiving my text etc... but I WAS GETTING NOTHING in return... So Here I am online the whole time, with people trying to contact me, but nothing.. Finally reinstall NORMAL ****** SKYPE! Works like charm, but too late.

Now I look like and ass who can't make interviews, and have been rescheduled and have to wait another week.

Yeah, I got some weird Windows 10 popup the other day that I got a message from someone on Skype, even though I didn't have it running. I opened up the main app... nothing there.

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3307 on: December 13, 2016, 07:23:24 AM »

My take on it is this: It's ok to like Japanese things individually but it's not ok to like Japan as a whole, if that makes any sense.

My kids are always saying they like this or that Japanese thing, and a bunch of them list Japan as the number 1 place outside of Korea that they want to visit, but the idea of Japan? That's a no-no.

Of course any historical/Dokdo/comfort women topics provoke the nationalistic fervour, as well. Not entirely unjustified, I might add...

Yeh, that's similar to my impression. My wife hates Japan with a passion, or so I thought, but has travelled there 3 times before I met, we have gone twice together, she loves japanese food, ghibli etc etc.  So I asked her directly how that works in her mind.  Her response was something along the lines of 'yeh, I don't like Japan, but I can go and use their stuff because I like their stuff.'  After further discussion, I discover it's not Japan she doesn't like, she doesn't like the Japanese government, what they have done in the past, the war, the occupation, what their attitude still is with comfort women etc.  Japanese people and japanese stuff generally is fine.  Makes sense when I think about it.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3308 on: December 13, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »

Yeh, that's similar to my impression. My wife hates Japan with a passion, or so I thought, but has travelled there 3 times before I met, we have gone twice together, she loves japanese food, ghibli etc etc.  So I asked her directly how that works in her mind.  Her response was something along the lines of 'yeh, I don't like Japan, but I can go and use their stuff because I like their stuff.'  After further discussion, I discover it's not Japan she doesn't like, she doesn't like the Japanese government, what they have done in the past, the war, the occupation, what their attitude still is with comfort women etc.  Japanese people and japanese stuff generally is fine.  Makes sense when I think about it.

Koreans don't much like thier own government, so that's fair... I guess.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3309 on: December 13, 2016, 07:40:37 AM »
Did my medical check for my contract renewal and was a bit annoyed to find out the price has more than doubled since last year (same hospital).  It was 70,000 compared to 30,000.

Apparently the Busan MOE have changed the requirements this year and have asked for extra drug testing   :lipsrsealed:

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3310 on: December 13, 2016, 07:42:30 AM »
I'm thankful I don't have to do a health checkup, but I'm starting to get really anxious about applying for my pension refund...

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3311 on: December 13, 2016, 07:50:57 AM »
Did my medical check for my contract renewal and was a bit annoyed to find out the price has more than doubled since last year (same hospital).  It was 70,000 compared to 30,000.

Apparently the Busan MOE have changed the requirements this year and have asked for extra drug testing   :lipsrsealed:

Would it be easier if they renamed it for Brits?  What if they asked for extra 'afternoon tea and scone' testing?

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3312 on: December 13, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »

Damn! That hurts... Just did my medical check here in Ulsan and there were no upfront costs (maybe something will come out of my pay, though). I asked if I needed to pay after the exam and they assured me that it was all good.

Also, no anal probing as happened to some other waygook users early this year  8)

Offline Athena

• Waygookin
« Reply #3313 on: December 13, 2016, 07:58:29 AM »
maybe it's because the US is slowly legalizing marijuana? lol

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3314 on: December 13, 2016, 08:15:10 AM »

What extra drugs did they make you test for? Mine was 120,000 in Daegu :(

Even though I don't use drugs, I didn't ask because I didn't want to seem nervous about it  :laugh:

Sorry to hear how expensive yours was :' (

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #3315 on: December 13, 2016, 08:19:15 AM »
Not really a rant or rave, but I got dismissed from class today because 'the kids don't want to study.'

Damn, I wish it were that easy when I was in middle school...

Offline Mister Tim

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3316 on: December 13, 2016, 09:23:27 AM »

I know what you mean. As much as I complain about how students here don't really have to try because they know they'll move on to the next grade no matter what, I can't really fault the students for it. I know for a fact that if I could have gotten away with doing absolutely nothing through the entirety of my education, that's exactly what I would have done.  :laugh: :laugh:

I often have to remind myself how bad a student I was when I find myself frustrated with my students, haha.

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #3317 on: December 13, 2016, 09:34:53 AM »

I know what you mean. As much as I complain about how students here don't really have to try because they know they'll move on to the next grade no matter what, I can't really fault the students for it. I know for a fact that if I could have gotten away with doing absolutely nothing through the entirety of my education, that's exactly what I would have done.  :laugh: :laugh:

I often have to remind myself how bad a student I was when I find myself frustrated with my students, haha.

It looks like my next two classes are canceled so the 3rd grade middle school students can practice K-pop dances. Not complaining, really, but I wish I would know these things in advance so I could just plop down and get comfortable reading or studying something without worrying about being interrupted by class.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3318 on: December 13, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »

It looks like my next two classes are canceled so the 3rd grade middle school students can practice K-pop dances. Not complaining, really, but I wish I would know these things in advance so I could just plop down and get comfortable reading or studying something without worrying about being interrupted by class.
That happens so often at my school. Oftentimes, half of the class will be missing because they have to practice for a dance that is two months away. Or sometimes the homeroom teacher will have them stay behind and skip my class so they can clean the classroom.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3319 on: December 13, 2016, 09:45:35 AM »
I was told children were not allowed to clean the classroom because the parents said so. This is just before children come to clean my English room. I walk down the hall and see many classrooms being cleaned by children.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP