December 17, 2017, 02:32:04 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 601145 times)

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3280 on: December 14, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
Same for all of the schools I've worked at so far. If they have any evaluations, I'm not hearing about any of it.

Last year the kids returned the evaluations to the ct, I asked her about it, and she told me I was not allowed to see them.  This year, different co-teacher, she told me the general response I was given (thankfully positive).  So I wouldn't be surprised if all schools do it, you are just not told about it.  And if you can't read Korean, there's even the chance you've looked at it and not known it was about you.

A lot of CT's will "hide" NEIS from you, or make it seem like "you're not allowed" to see it or use it. When actually, you could argue you are legally obligated to be able to access and use it.

It's the system, like above said, where you evals, sick days, etc... are all input. A lot of CT's like to keep you from using it, becuase it gives them power over you, some sense of control. You have to go through THEM when you want sick days etc...

My CT this year was pretty chill so I didn't bother with it. However, the one before, when I asked to for password to my account, gave me the BS about I am not allowed etc... **** that.

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3281 on: December 14, 2016, 12:13:42 PM »
Same for all of the schools I've worked at so far. If they have any evaluations, I'm not hearing about any of it.

Last year the kids returned the evaluations to the ct, I asked her about it, and she told me I was not allowed to see them.  This year, different co-teacher, she told me the general response I was given (thankfully positive).  So I wouldn't be surprised if all schools do it, you are just not told about it.  And if you can't read Korean, there's even the chance you've looked at it and not known it was about you.

I'm through EPIK so I'm pretty sure I'm getting evaluated, but I never hear about it. I'm also not set up to access NEIS (I've asked for help on this several times, and a couple of CTs have actually tried to assist, but there were problems accessing it on my school computer and the "tech" couldn't figure out, either, so they just kind of threw up their hands and told me it wasn't important anyway), and, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't read them anyway, especially since they're apparently based on too much criteria that the NET is not in control of.

As far as I'm concerned, if they don't need to bring them up with me, then I don't need to worry about them.

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #3282 on: December 14, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
I was originally supposed to do 2 days of camp at my 2nd school and 2 weeks of 0 budget "vacation class" at my main school.  That's a lot, but alright. Now my 0 budget class got changed to 12 days because, "oh, you only have 2 days of camp one week? WORK MORE"

How do people even get deskwarming days? What am I supposed to do for 12 days with no budget? I feel sorry for students....

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3283 on: December 14, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »
I was originally supposed to do 2 days of camp at my 2nd school and 2 weeks of 0 budget "vacation class" at my main school.  That's a lot, but alright. Now my 0 budget class got changed to 12 days because, "oh, you only have 2 days of camp one week? WORK MORE"

How do people even get deskwarming days? What am I supposed to do for 12 days with no budget? I feel sorry for students....

Movies, dodgeball, youtube videos of wii dance, and sing along songs, duck duck goose.

Offline Soggysocks

• Veteran
« Reply #3284 on: December 14, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »

My students just evaluated me yesterday. Each class brought their evals to my coteacher. She was out of the office when a student brought his class's in. You bet your ass I ran those bad boys through a translator. The main questions were:

Is your native teacher fun?

Does she teach in a variety of different ways?

Does she help develop your speaking and listening skills?

Is it easy to understand your teacher when she speaks?

If you don't understand something, does your teacher help you in a kind manner?

They mark you on a 1-5 scale. Luckily, I got mostly 5s, with the exception a few giving me 4s and 3s on the "is it easy to understand your teacher" question.

I wasn't supposed to see those, but I'm happy to know my kids think I'm fun and kind. But honestly, I don't think they're that big of a deal. 

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #3285 on: December 14, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »

Movies, dodgeball, youtube videos of wii dance, and sing along songs, duck duck goose.

Yeah, those are some good ideas, my CT added that I must "teach" some things though...it'll take a while to plan 12 days  :cry:

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3286 on: December 14, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »

I know this might sound like an unpopular thing to do for most teachers here, but I usually buy things with my own money, if I want to do something.  I know I could try and go through the channels to get the budget, but I find it easier just to get the stuff myself.  Last summer camp, for a two-hour class, we made balloon cars.  Straws, polystyrene card, tape (from school), skewers, some polystyrene wheels, together about 15 000 won.  If I have a cooking class doing pancake art, I buy pancake mix, eggs and milk, syrup (I already have the burners, pans and squeezy bottles) together about 20 000 won.  I am the opposite of tight when it comes to spending money, but making classes interesting with minimal costs from my pockets makes me happy that I can give something back to my students. 

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3287 on: December 14, 2016, 12:35:26 PM »

My students just evaluated me yesterday. Each class brought their evals to my coteacher. She was out of the office when a student brought his class's in. You bet your ass I ran those bad boys through a translator. The main questions were:

Is your native teacher fun?

Does she teach in a variety of different ways?

Does she help develop your speaking and listening skills?

Is it easy to understand your teacher when she speaks?

If you don't understand something, does your teacher help you in a kind manner?

They mark you on a 1-5 scale. Luckily, I got mostly 5s, with the exception a few giving me 4s and 3s on the "is it easy to understand your teacher" question.

I wasn't supposed to see those, but I'm happy to know my kids think I'm fun and kind. But honestly, I don't think they're that big of a deal.

Got to love adults being rated by 9/10 year olds.... because they know what they are doing, and have really mature thought process, and fully understand what it is they are even doing... Also great for the CT's to be able to hand evals, that are way more in depth (they give you a rating out of 100) regarding your English teaching ability, when they can't even speak English in any type natural situation, oh and half the time I can't believe are hired as teachers in the first place.

I mean, whatever, they want feedback. Why can't I give my counter parts feedback? Why can't I rate my CT's ability as an English teacher (or teacher in general)? Why can't I rate the school on how they treated the NET, and student behavior towards a foreign teacher? Nope, just more of the, you aren't a human being, mentality.

"We don't like him, he yells!" Umm, yeah, when you throw stuff at me, while giving me the finger, and half the class is yelling shibal musunsoria when ever I speak... and I can't even hear myself.

"The teacher is boring!" Dig out all this old audio equipment, hook it all up to the computer and tv, setup up the mixer, and mics, find batteries for them.. Norebang time instead of just sitting and singing because its boring! KIDS COMPLAIN! They said I was taking away their dignity or something like that? WTF. Didn't even force them to do it.

"Doesn't teach with variety..." Every single plan and materials I come up with are shut down, only for the CT to use them later....

And the one about introducing foreign culture... What the actual ****. 99% of the people at my school avoid having any type of convo with me or sitting with me at lunch... kids yell at me in Korean, this is Korea! Speak Korean!

Anyway, so glad I left that school...

New school, so far is nice. CT is actually young, maybe 28, female... so not some adjumma who just sighs and sleeps at her desk.

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3288 on: December 14, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

I know this might sound like an unpopular thing to do for most teachers here, but I usually buy things with my own money, if I want to do something.  I know I could try and go through the channels to get the budget, but I find it easier just to get the stuff myself.  Last summer camp, for a two-hour class, we made balloon cars.  Straws, polystyrene card, tape (from school), skewers, some polystyrene wheels, together about 15 000 won.  If I have a cooking class doing pancake art, I buy pancake mix, eggs and milk, syrup (I already have the burners, pans and squeezy bottles) together about 20 000 won.  I am the opposite of tight when it comes to spending money, but making classes interesting with minimal costs from my pockets makes me happy that I can give something back to my students.

I don't think people dislike the idea, because they are penny pinchers...

It's the idea that, because they say NO BUDGET, they just expect the NET to shell out the budget, now the next teacher will have no budget, and have some expectation put on them...

Also, just another way for schools to walk all over us.. yay! Thanks Man!

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3289 on: December 14, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »

Does 0 budget mean you can't use the school's paper and printers because there is a lot that  you can do with just printing and ppt games.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3290 on: December 14, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »

I'm in the same boat with my main school. 0 budget, 15 days of camp (at my main school) have to do more at my travel schools as well. Barely managed to fit my vacation in there. :\ Has to be entirely contests.

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #3291 on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:28 PM »

Does 0 budget mean you can't use the school's paper and printers because there is a lot that  you can do with just printing and ppt games.

I'm sure there's ideas, I'll probably focus on some culture classes and let kids do some drawing/creative activities. I just wanted to vent and clear my head first.

Offline What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3292 on: December 14, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
CT hasn't taught Grade 1 and 2 with me this week, she has been "busy" (I love teaching alone, so I was happy). I taught alone absolutely no problem, and I have done it before pleanty times. She comes in today, translating and completely giving the wrong instructions for a game that the kids already know how to play. Kids are confused. I just cancelled that game and did another. Because f*ck, if you don't want to hear me telling you over and over that this is not a group game, then you need to just get out of my classroom, because the kids understood.... *ripping hair out*

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3293 on: December 14, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »

It's the idea that, because they say NO BUDGET, they just expect the NET to shell out the budget, now the next teacher will have no budget, and have some expectation put on them...

Judging by your posting, you have a very strange idea about these 'us and them' battles that means it is a constant fight of getting the upper hand in schools here and this getting 'walked on' shit.  I couldn't give a poopie what budget is available or not.  Like I said if I wanted to go through the channels, I can.  The students are my focus and the reason I'm here, if I want to make a fun class using a bit of my own money then I'll do it. 

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3294 on: December 14, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »

I'm sure there's ideas, I'll probably focus on some culture classes and let kids do some drawing/creative activities. I just wanted to vent and clear my head first.

See, these types of post I don't understand. You came in here to rant about "having" to spend your own money" You chose to spend you own money.

Jesus, I need to stop for today, the whole rating system etc post have literally sent me into a rage.

Online grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3295 on: December 14, 2016, 12:57:12 PM »

Judging by your posting, you have a very strange idea about these 'us and them' battles that means it is a constant fight of getting the upper hand in schools here and this getting 'walked on' shit.  I couldn't give a poopie what budget is available or not.  Like I said if I wanted to go through the channels, I can.  The students are my focus and the reason I'm here, if I want to make a fun class using a bit of my own money then I'll do it.

Oh, you guys are co-workers?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline itsalliecat

• Waygookin
« Reply #3296 on: December 14, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »

See, these types of post I don't understand. You came in here to rant about "having" to spend your own money" You chose to spend you own money.

Jesus, I need to stop for today, the whole rating system etc post have literally sent me into a rage.

I never said anything about "having" to spend my own money.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3297 on: December 14, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »
@Chingetti thanks for the help-- turns out English language options were just totally absent though, otherwise it would have worked.

Secretary made some calls and now the computer is in English but now there's no Korean keyboard option... Lol. On my previous computer it was only somewhat in English but enough for me to do whatever I wanted to do, now it's entirely in English and I'm gonna have to find Korean again before the next time I need to use NEIS. Ha. Ha. Ha.

And I'm not hooked up to the color printer anymore. But that's not a pressing concern so that can wait. All this reminds me of the old lady who ate a fly and the subsequent solutions that caused more problems haha

*Edit: Can't even find NEIS now. And the microsoft word & ppt programs are still all in Korean. And here I dared hope that if everything else was in English...

*Edit: Actually, maybe this is just fine. Since my old computer got moved to the English lab I can just do my NEIS business in there when I have to and leave this computer alone for now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:26:04 PM by yirj17 »

Offline DiamondCobra

• Waygookin
« Reply #3298 on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
When I started working at my main school this year, every Korean teacher I talked to from my other schools said something along the lines of "Oh, you're lucky. That school does an amazing ski camp every year."

It rolls around to the time of this fabled ski camp. The school has ordered in a set of gloves and goggles for every student. There are stacks of hand warmers and snacks in the teachers room in preparation. I walk in on Friday last week to this sight and comment on it. Ski camp is mentioned. It's on a day I'm meant to be at my travel school but it's also been confirmed that all my classes at said travel schools are cancelled that day. My coteacher knows this and when I make a comment about how I'd love to go skiing (at this point not expecting to attend but hoping), says "Oh, you didn't think you could go, did you?"

I know I shouldn't have hoped to be allowed to go. I've never been invited to any other event at my school. Not even the sports day. I'm just left to desk warm instead. I've never even been invited to a hweshik. Also I was meant to be at another school that day so if they haven't arranged for me to go it might be a little troublesome...
But I dunno, I would have hoped my coteacher would show a little care for my feelings as I don't think I was super subtle about wanting to attend. Oh well, she's proved multiple times over the past year that she has no concept of other people having feelings or troubles, so this shouldn't be anything new or unexpected.

Oh well. Guess I have a wonderful day of deskwarming ahead of me as my kids and every single other staff member at the school gets to go skiing.

Offline Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3299 on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Not really ranting, but we don't have a thread for bemoaning our existence... yet.

There's something seriously wrong with my emotions right now.

My school sent out a survey to our 4th and 5th graders and their parents asking how they felt about the English program and about me in particular. I got very... mixed reviews.

I'm a teacher. Kids aren't all supposed to like me and obviously some parents are against NETs in the classroom. So I shouldn't be so shocked and hurt.

I'm not normally the "cries-in-a-bathroom" type, but I have seriously gave my all this year. I create good lessons, I'm never late or absent, and I always say yes when asked to do something.

I don't know. I just feel discouraged right now. I was finally starting to feel good about staying for another year, I'm so excited about my Christmas lessons, and now I'm just... sad.

This is what happened to me 2 years ago.. That's when I decided, like the NET'S before me said, you are putting in waaay to much effort.

I teach what I am suppose to at a bare minimum, and actually my teaching stress has gone WAAAAY down, and some how the staff like me more etc... Kids attitudes didn't change at all.

People don't appreciate hard word and dedication/passion in Korea. They appreciate the illusion of it. It's not about doing work, its about being more stressed than your counter parts, alluding to your special situation why you don't do things.

Seriously, I used to care, now I am just another, laughing all the way to the bank NET. It's sad, but I am waaay better off from it, and the attitude towards my teaching, and input from students hasn't change AT ALL.

Pretty much me now, though, I still try work hard. When I got here, I started to try make lessons that were enjoyable and beneficial to the students, because there was a small amount of having to do things, the students and co-T's didn't like them. I was thrown into the deep end, my TESOL certs were all online (so no practical experience). I came hoping to learn more about teaching, get practical experience and improve from it, hoping to teach the students, and all that other stuff.

After 5 - 5.5 months of trying to make proper lessons that were enjoyable, and beneficial, the schools told me "We want you to do nothing but play games with the students."
I still work hard at making the games enjoyable, as well as trying to teach them something new. I struggle with the "learning something new part." but usually there is something (even if it is really small), that the students don't know and learn.

My work stress has gone down a lot (except for camp time), my rapport with the students and teachers has gone up, and I'm enjoying it a lot more.