October 17, 2017, 04:49:40 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518843 times)

Online yirj17

• The Legend
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3260 on: December 06, 2016, 05:43:07 PM »
Quote from a recent workshop/conference/seminar/thing for NETs in my area:

I am not here to make you better Elementary teachers, I'm here to make you better people

:undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes:

Feel like i've needed to share that for days....

:huh: I'm so glad I haven't had to go to one of those things for almost three years now...

So did she deliver on her promise?  :laugh:

He, and no. Tbf it's hard to improve on perfection  :laugh:

It was really terrible, interesting content but I've never seen someone say so little with so many words before.

One of the speakers at my orientation seemed more like a motivational speaker than a teacher. He was also trying to shill some sort of "personal motivation guidance" service for a modest fee.

Then there was a guy who said it was difficult to tell the students apart because they all looked kinda the same.  :undecided:

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #3261 on: December 06, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Do I really, really want to do this for another year? Can I do this for another f*%king year, or will I lose it and end up in jail"?

I am so up and down at the moment with this... it has gone from one week "yes, I can" and one week "dear god no", and now this is changed to at least three times a day....

I love my job, people are going to die, what a great lesson, I wish these little shi*s would shut up and pi** off, I like living in Korea, I hate this damn place.

I regret signing on for another year and found myself wanting to jump out of a tall building on several occasions, to put it mildly. It's not Korea that I hate; it's the job. In fact, I'll be staying in Korea for a few months after my contract ends, maybe until June or July, but I will absolutely not be staying another year as a GET.

I am in the same boat. For financial reasons i am signing on for another year. This makes it worse because i was convinced that this was my last year and saw light at the end of the tunnel. Unlike others, i have a pretty good gig here. I just feel that Korea as a whole is slowly sucking the life out of me with each passing year. Makes me wonder if it's worth it.

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3262 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:28 PM »
Quote from a recent workshop/conference/seminar/thing for NETs in my area:

I am not here to make you better Elementary teachers, I'm here to make you better people

:undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes:

Feel like i've needed to share that for days....

:huh: I'm so glad I haven't had to go to one of those things for almost three years now...

So did she deliver on her promise?  :laugh:

He, and no. Tbf it's hard to improve on perfection  :laugh:

It was really terrible, interesting content but I've never seen someone say so little with so many words before.

One of the speakers at my orientation seemed more like a motivational speaker than a teacher. He was also trying to shill some sort of "personal motivation guidance" service for a modest fee.

Then there was a guy who said it was difficult to tell the students apart because they all looked kinda the same.  :undecided:

@Pennypie ~ My bad: HE must have been insufferable

I never even had an orientation, but I did go to one of those seminars awhile back. The only thing of import that I can remember is one goody-two shoes speaker basically saying all NETS were/are lazy sacks of sh*t and that he was gonna show us how it's done.  :rolleyes:

I went with one of my Korean CTs and the best part was immediately as we sat down in the auditorium my CT looks at me, winks and says "Time to sleep!" and then drifted off...  :laugh:

Offline Chinguetti

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3263 on: December 06, 2016, 06:48:47 PM »
Mondays are awful. Today's Tuesday. Tuesdays are still awful.

Periods are categorically awful and I wish you had some choco because p-time is the only time it's not basically poison.

Pollution is wack and I feel gross too.

Can't really sympathize with the tea thing though - just think of it as sugar-free (bonus!) iced tea.
Thanks for the sympathy, and I pretty much agree with you on Tuesdays, too.

I'm actually debating about getting a second air purifier for my box of a home. More like teetering. I'm practically a click away, and the only thing holding me back is the lack of space. I'm gonna have to purchase new furniture to make it easier to organize around that and make it more pragmatically possible.

I feel like iced tea is hot tea's failure cousin. But at least it can be fun in the right situations. Today's tea didn't make it there, though. It was just a fetid, hungover mess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 08:29:59 PM by Chinguetti »

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3264 on: December 06, 2016, 10:44:24 PM »
I'm sure this is terribly selfish, but the yearly ice skating rink at City Hall has been cancelled because of the presidential protests and I'm so irritated! I always look forward to it and I was going to take my bf this year but now that plan is down the drain. I know there is the Lotte World rink, but it's far away and way more expensive.

I heard PGH wanted to go there but she was already skating on thin ice.

I'll get me coat.

GT tower @ Gangnam Station, or Seoul Art Centre are good places to skate.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3265 on: December 06, 2016, 11:02:07 PM »
They set up an outdoor rink at the Olympic Gate at Olympic Park every year as well. Even a bit farther than Lotte World for you but significantly cheaper.

Offline z80

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3266 on: December 07, 2016, 10:15:18 AM »
School blocked my Japanese VPN.

Only 103 more countries to go until they can cut me off....

Online What?What?

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3267 on: December 07, 2016, 10:31:12 AM »
Do I really, really want to do this for another year? Can I do this for another f*%king year, or will I lose it and end up in jail"?

I am so up and down at the moment with this... it has gone from one week "yes, I can" and one week "dear god no", and now this is changed to at least three times a day....

I love my job, people are going to die, what a great lesson, I wish these little shi*s would shut up and pi** off, I like living in Korea, I hate this damn place.

I regret signing on for another year and found myself wanting to jump out of a tall building on several occasions, to put it mildly. It's not Korea that I hate; it's the job. In fact, I'll be staying in Korea for a few months after my contract ends, maybe until June or July, but I will absolutely not be staying another year as a GET.

I am in the same boat. For financial reasons i am signing on for another year. This makes it worse because i was convinced that this was my last year and saw light at the end of the tunnel. Unlike others, i have a pretty good gig here. I just feel that Korea as a whole is slowly sucking the life out of me with each passing year. Makes me wonder if it's worth it.

I will be signing on for my third year, and yes, I feel like Korea is sucking the life out of me. I have had a tough year (CT wise) and am not sure if another year is going to do me any good. I am struggling with confidence regarding my teaching skills since I have been systematically chipped away at. Also, the whole biting my tongue/not having an opinion/being a doormat is entirely out of character for me, but it is what I have to do to keep the peace. I am going the EPIK route again and will be placed elsewhere, but I am terrified that I just won't be able to cut it for another year.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:58:28 AM by What?What? »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3268 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »
They set up an outdoor rink at the Olympic Gate at Olympic Park every year as well. Even a bit farther than Lotte World for you but significantly cheaper.
I'll look into those places. Has anyone been to the one at DMC? I have seen it, but never skated there.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3269 on: December 07, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
Parents are jerks. Our after school English program is getting cut and the parents found out yesterday so half the kids are weeping around the school today because their parents are pulling them from this school to go elsewhere. Somehow the kids decided its my fault that they have to move even tho I'll be at the same school one day a week next year and I would have prefered to stay teaching after school classes! GAH!

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3270 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
Headphone-less teacher is watching a bird video today. So not only do I get to listen to a loud Chinese narrator, but I also get to listen to birds honking.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3271 on: December 07, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »
cough cough cough sneeze sneeze

my head feels like lead and I'm headachey but I'm pretty sure I can't take any painkillers because of the meds the internal medicine doc gave me. I'm super drowsy and I don't know if it's due to the cold or the dramamine.

I only teach two classes today, should I tell my cot I need to use early sick leave?

The memoir I'll write about my year in Korea: Constantly Sick and Miserable

sniffle

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3272 on: December 07, 2016, 11:44:38 AM »
I just lost an arm wrestling match to a grade 6 boy.

Where is my life going?  :cry:
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3273 on: December 07, 2016, 11:47:15 AM »

Lol. One of my 4th graders wanted to arm wrestle me but they don't understand using just the arm to wrestle and use their whole bodies so I declined.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3274 on: December 07, 2016, 11:48:53 AM »

No shame in that. Some grade six kids are huge and have youth on their side.

Not that I've ever lost to a sixth grader.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3275 on: December 07, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »

I used to love arm wrestling my students because when I would inevitably win, it would establish my dominance in the classroom.

Now I work with mostly high school boys and I stay waaaay out of it.

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3276 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:40 PM »
Parents are jerks. Our after school English program is getting cut and the parents found out yesterday so half the kids are weeping around the school today because their parents are pulling them from this school to go elsewhere. Somehow the kids decided its my fault that they have to move even tho I'll be at the same school one day a week next year and I would have prefered to stay teaching after school classes! GAH!

The kids didn't decide it was your fault, the school probably threw you under the bus to save face.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3277 on: December 07, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »
My CTs gone full cookoo.

She's decided teaching the boys is too much work. She's moved all of them to the back of the room and placed all the girls directly at the front because they deserve it or some such nonsense.

As you can imagine, chaos ensued.

Then, I'm making a big pot of coffee for the afternoon after lunch. I'm putting a filter in she runs up has a lil bicker about the filter removes it and makes coffee without the filter. Spared slightly by the fact that I put a ton of water in and she for some odd reason decided one scoop of coffee beans was good. It looks like water from a ditch.

This is the first mixed coffee I've had in like 2 years.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3278 on: December 07, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »
Shut.  The.  Door.

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3279 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:01 PM »
She's decided teaching the boys is too much work. She's moved all of them to the back of the room and placed all the girls directly at the front because they deserve it or some such nonsense.

Nice. I didn't know we could do that~

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment