September 22, 2017, 01:33:06 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 486159 times)

Offline Aristocrat

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3240 on: December 06, 2016, 02:29:56 PM »
CT told me that she really wants to go to visit China, during the holidays but she can't. Why? Her sons don't want to go. Why? They just want to stay home and play games on their phones.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3241 on: December 06, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
Do I really, really want to do this for another year? Can I do this for another f*%king year, or will I lose it and end up in jail"?

I am so up and down at the moment with this... it has gone from one week "yes, I can" and one week "dear god no", and now this is changed to at least three times a day....

I love my job, people are going to die, what a great lesson, I wish these little shi*s would shut up and pi** off, I like living in Korea, I hate this damn place.

I regret signing on for another year and found myself wanting to jump out of a tall building on several occasions, to put it mildly. It's not Korea that I hate; it's the job. In fact, I'll be staying in Korea for a few months after my contract ends, maybe until June or July, but I will absolutely not be staying another year as a GET.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3242 on: December 06, 2016, 02:53:58 PM »
CT told me that she really wants to go to visit China, during the holidays but she can't. Why? Her sons don't want to go. Why? They just want to stay home and play games on their phones.

How old are they?

Also, f people like that. Especially if the mom is paying. It's like people who go to Busan and eat at Lotteria. You can get that here. You have the rest of your life to play on your damn phone. Play on the plane! Play in the hotel in China! Just live a little.
Ignoring isnít the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3243 on: December 06, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »
I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!
I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!I F*CKING HATE ONLINE KOREAN BANKING!

Did you know I hate Korean online banking?
even if everything goes smoothly, it'll take 20 minutes minimum. any problems and you're looking at and hour at least before you rip a patch of your hair out.

It is pretty awful.You guys may have seen this already, but here's an article from Forbes called "Korea's Online Banking System is Stuck in 1996."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elaineramirez/2016/11/30/south-koreas-online-banking-system-is-stuck-in-1996/#2bbe9aa75d7e

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3244 on: December 06, 2016, 03:24:38 PM »
Do I really, really want to do this for another year? Can I do this for another f*%king year, or will I lose it and end up in jail"?

I am so up and down at the moment with this... it has gone from one week "yes, I can" and one week "dear god no", and now this is changed to at least three times a day....

I love my job, people are going to die, what a great lesson, I wish these little shi*s would shut up and pi** off, I like living in Korea, I hate this damn place.

I regret signing on for another year and found myself wanting to jump out of a tall building on several occasions, to put it mildly. It's not Korea that I hate; it's the job. In fact, I'll be staying in Korea for a few months after my contract ends, maybe until June or July, but I will absolutely not be staying another year as a GET.

Man I can relate to this. Really drives me a bit nuts wondering how a job where I'm only really on for 3 hours a day can be so incredibly draining.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3245 on: December 06, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
Me and not-girlfriend were planning to go to Hong Kong over Seollal because for some reason my dad is obsessed with the idea of me going to Hong Kong and offered to pay (for my airfare and hotel). I'd looked up some flights before and they looked a bit on the expensive side but not terrible, but I didn't have time to carefully go through and buy our tickets.

Turns out these flights that are a little bit on the expensive side are terrible in terms of the time they leave, travel time, etc etc, and the ones that aren't so terrible are 800+, which my friend can't afford. I feel a little guilty because it's probably a bit my fault for not prioritizing buying the tickets more, but it's also definitely having to do with the fact that it's Seollal so flights in general are much more expensive. All the flights left for Jeju and Fukuoka are shit now too.

SIGH

She still wants to do something for the long holiday weekend, but I don't know what

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• The Legend
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3246 on: December 06, 2016, 03:29:32 PM »
Me and not-girlfriend were planning to go to Hong Kong over Seollal because for some reason my dad is obsessed with the idea of me going to Hong Kong and offered to pay (for my airfare and hotel). I'd looked up some flights before and they looked a bit on the expensive side but not terrible, but I didn't have time to carefully go through and buy our tickets.

Turns out these flights that are a little bit on the expensive side are terrible in terms of the time they leave, travel time, etc etc, and the ones that aren't so terrible are 800+, which my friend can't afford. I feel a little guilty because it's probably a bit my fault for not prioritizing buying the tickets more, but it's also definitely having to do with the fact that it's Seollal so flights in general are much more expensive. All the flights left for Jeju and Fukuoka are shit now too.

SIGH

She still wants to do something for the long holiday weekend, but I don't know what

Hong Kong is the most miserable place I've ever been, other than Manila. So, if it makes you feel any better, you're not missing much.

Still, sicks you can't go.

Also, travelling during lunar new year is hell.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3247 on: December 06, 2016, 03:39:16 PM »
I thought HK was just aight. I happened to be there during Seollal too and my friend who lived there cautioned me that a lot of things might be closed because of the New Year (didn't have any issues but it was just a warning).

Went up on the peak tram but the air was hella polluted and I literally watched the smog encroach upon the buildings. Actually getting onto the tram is good practice battling the elderly.

Enjoyed taking the cable car to Lantau island and wandering around there though.

Overall by far not my favorite place but not a terrible time.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3248 on: December 06, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »
Hahaha thanks guys.

I suggested a "stay-cation" in Gwangan since we both live pretty far from there.

I just want to find a parade or visit a nice temple or something and eat good food.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3249 on: December 06, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
There's always sokcho and poke go :D

Offline walrus

• Veteran
« Reply #3250 on: December 06, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »

SIGH

I took the boat to Ullueng do a few seollals ago. It was great! Maybe try Osaka or Okinawa on Peach Air.

Online Kayos

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3251 on: December 06, 2016, 03:54:01 PM »

Sadly, I may have to stay on another year myself. I've been trying to make the jump over to Japan. However, while I have had some really great interviews, because my contract finishes at the end of April, I've been getting rejected a lot (Damn that 1 month delay before I was supposed to start in Korea. :( I'm hoping I can get an extension on my current contract until like the end of June - September, then either A) Go back home and apply to JET, or B) find an entry level ALT position through an ALT company.

A second year here wouldn't be the worst thing. I've gotten to a place at work where I'm not stressed out all the time now, but I'm super bored outside of work. :(

Offline welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3252 on: December 06, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
I had all grand plans to get my CELTA in Budapest - a win win as it would count, after a fashion, in my mind, as my vacation. Even though I would be studying at least I would be out of the country for four weeks.  That's now off, and I have 5 weeks vacation time and have no idea what to do.  The wife won't be able to get more than a few days off work so we can't really go anywhere.  I don't want to spend too much so I can't really go far alone anyhow - great.  I may end up with 5 weeks stuck at home.  damn it.  Or maybe Japan for a week. 

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3253 on: December 06, 2016, 04:05:37 PM »
It is pretty awful.You guys may have seen this already, but here's an article from Forbes called "Korea's Online Banking System is Stuck in 1996."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/elaineramirez/2016/11/30/south-koreas-online-banking-system-is-stuck-in-1996/#2bbe9aa75d7e

This actually makes me kind of happy. I had thought my online troubles were the product of some corporate anti-foreigner cabal, although I'm still quite certain being a foreigner throws a few more wrenches into the wreck that is online transactions.

This gif is enough to throw someone with Korean-online-banking-induced PTSD into a panic attack.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3254 on: December 06, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »

The first year I went in and the doctor took my BP and it was high. Like 50 year old man smoking 5 packs of cigs a day high,

Walk outside, check on the machine. Totally normal.

Whatever.

Go back the next year, exact same doctor. She gave me a blood pressure of 180/160 which is 'you're heart is currently exploding please proceed directly to the morgue' type blood pressure. She then tried to prescribe me meds after a single test. Not just go home for three days but a lifelong prescription.

Walk outside. Check on the machine.

Totally normal.

I've obviously never been to that clinic outside of those two times...

See, this was high on the machine, not done by hand. I asked the nurse if maybe it could be because I was wearing my sweater, she suggested it could be because I'd walked to the hospital but it was maybe a ten-minute walk. She said she'd take it again in ten minutes but I had already left the hospital.

Usually my blood pressure is a very healthy 110/60, but they measured it at 140/70. Strange that the bottom number was fine and the top number wasn't.

I've just always kept a close eye on my blood pressure because there's a history of hypertension in my family and I really don't want to end up with it. This plus my other health problems I was like... oh shit

This is my third attempt to post this so I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm in the same boat family wise. So, like you, I keep a fairly close eye on my BP.

A good general rule is that when you suddenly experience an anomaly in your health it's best to get a second opinion. Because, to put it frankly, doctors are human and humans make mistakes.

Also, wrt the internal medicine guy and the acid reflux. This about sums up my opinion;

When you have a hammer all you see is nails.
Made worse when you get treated like god and are never told you're wrong.

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3255 on: December 06, 2016, 05:25:14 PM »
Quote from a recent workshop/conference/seminar/thing for NETs in my area:

I am not here to make you better Elementary teachers, I'm here to make you better people

:undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes:

Feel like i've needed to share that for days....

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3256 on: December 06, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »

The first year I went in and the doctor took my BP and it was high. Like 50 year old man smoking 5 packs of cigs a day high,

Walk outside, check on the machine. Totally normal.

Whatever.

Go back the next year, exact same doctor. She gave me a blood pressure of 180/160 which is 'you're heart is currently exploding please proceed directly to the morgue' type blood pressure. She then tried to prescribe me meds after a single test. Not just go home for three days but a lifelong prescription.

Walk outside. Check on the machine.

Totally normal.

I've obviously never been to that clinic outside of those two times...

See, this was high on the machine, not done by hand. I asked the nurse if maybe it could be because I was wearing my sweater, she suggested it could be because I'd walked to the hospital but it was maybe a ten-minute walk. She said she'd take it again in ten minutes but I had already left the hospital.

Usually my blood pressure is a very healthy 110/60, but they measured it at 140/70. Strange that the bottom number was fine and the top number wasn't.

I've just always kept a close eye on my blood pressure because there's a history of hypertension in my family and I really don't want to end up with it. This plus my other health problems I was like... oh shit

This is my third attempt to post this so I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm in the same boat family wise. So, like you, I keep a fairly close eye on my BP.

A good general rule is that when you suddenly experience an anomaly in your health it's best to get a second opinion. Because, to put it frankly, doctors are human and humans make mistakes.

Also, wrt the internal medicine guy and the acid reflux. This about sums up my opinion;

When you have a hammer all you see is nails.
Made worse when you get treated like god and are never told you're wrong.

Yeah. I'm thinking I'll stop by the pharmacy and see if they have one of those automatic machines there and try again. I was telling my boss (who is being very compassionate now that she knows I'm having health problems - go figure) that I was planning to go back and make sure I got an MRI, but she was trying to dissuade me, saying it'd be like $400

Bleh

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3257 on: December 06, 2016, 05:32:42 PM »

I am not here to make you better Elementary teachers, I'm here to make you better people

:undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes: :undecided: :rolleyes:

:huh: I'm so glad I haven't had to go to one of those things for almost three years now...

So did she deliver on her promise?  :laugh:

Online Pennypie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3258 on: December 06, 2016, 05:34:37 PM »

:huh: I'm so glad I haven't had to go to one of those things for almost three years now...

So did she deliver on her promise?  :laugh:

He, and no. Tbf it's hard to improve on perfection  :laugh:

It was really terrible, interesting content but I've never seen someone say so little with so many words before.

Offline flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3259 on: December 06, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »
I'm having a very difficult time coordinating with my new coteacher. I wish she would show me what she's decided to do (maybe we could even discuss it together!) before she wastes a ton of paper printing a game that needs to be more difficult and that I could have easily modified. Sigh.

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment