October 17, 2017, 05:00:56 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 518896 times)

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3200 on: December 05, 2016, 05:57:08 PM »
this place is full of white guys who just can't accept that they lack experience in certain areas to make worthwhile opinions on certain topics. they think everything has to relate back to something they've experienced. stop making false equivalencies. despite what your upbringing has told you, you don't know everything and you don't get a say in everything.

why the hell does a white american/canadian/whatever, think his or her opinion on what the Asian diaspora experience matters whatsoever?  why do they think they can relate?

you can't relate. your hubris is at insane levels to think your opinion needs to be expressed. your life doesn't have the same layers. just accept it and move the **** on.

Who says relate? I'm happy when people ask me my background. Quarter Ukrainian, eighth Italian, Quarter Native Canadian and the rest is a smattering of the British Isles.

I imagine it's annoying to be asked where you are "really from," but talking about ourselves and people being interested in you is a good thing.

Europe is much more organized in terms of countries and ethnicity(?). Would it be wrong to answer the question as .25 Han, .125 Sioux, .125 Kubu, .0625 Bantu, .125 Metis, and .3125 Tupi? I imagine there would be a follow-up question.

If I person's response was something along the lines of, "oh, so basically white." Would that be rude?

For the record I consider Italian, white. Not universal I'm sure, seeing as many look through a European lens.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3201 on: December 05, 2016, 06:07:49 PM »
Here's a basic reiteration of a recent foreigner I met:

Dude: "Where are you from?"
Me: "America. You?"
Dude: "Oh, where?"
Me: "[state]."
Dude: "Oh, I don't know where that is."
Me: "That's cool, a lot of people don't. So where are you from?"
Dude: "Canada. [insert phrase in a foreign language I can't recognize]"
Me: "What?"
Dude: "[repeats phrase in foreign language]"
Me: "Sorry... what?"
Dude: "I thought you were [Asian ethnicity]."
Me: "Oh, I don't speak [Asian language]..." (I honestly could not tell what language he was speaking at first, his accent was pretty heavy)
Dude: "But you look [Asian]."
Me: "...no. I don't speak [Asian language]."
Dude: "[starts speaking in foreign language again]--"
Friend of dude: "Dude! Leave her alone! She said she was American!"

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3202 on: December 05, 2016, 06:14:51 PM »

Me: "Oh, I don't speak [Asian language]..." (I honestly could not tell what language he was speaking at first, his accent was pretty heavy)

Is this why you don't pop into McClutchie's anymore? :sad:

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3203 on: December 05, 2016, 06:18:44 PM »

That guy sounds like a total dunce.

I have never once heard anyone from America, when asked that question, automatically assume that the person must have meant heritage and immediately answer Germany, France, or where ever. That just seems silly. I can understand how it would be annoying to have someone question where you are "really" from.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3204 on: December 05, 2016, 06:20:54 PM »
Funny, I had almost exactly the same conversation with a drunk old guy in a pub in Ireland when he found out I lived in Korea. He kept trying to speak Korean (I think) and insisting I should know what he was talking about since I lived there.

Still I guess according to 7pm as a white guy I don't have a right to talk about my experience, or it isn't as significant, or something.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3205 on: December 05, 2016, 06:38:07 PM »
Funny, I had almost exactly the same conversation with a drunk old guy in a pub in Ireland when he found out I lived in Korea. He kept trying to speak Korean (I think) and insisting I should know what he was talking about since I lived there.

Still I guess according to 7pm as a white guy I don't have a right to talk about my experience, or it isn't as significant, or something.

Then I think you can understand some. (I actually think the dude I met was trying to speak Korean too... I think? Honestly difficult to discern) Now imagine that happening more frequently and from people who just look at you and assume as such without ever broaching the topic of you having lived there. Often before you even open your mouth. From completely sober people. It gets annoying and tiresome.

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3206 on: December 05, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »

Then I think you can understand some. (I actually think the dude I met was trying to speak Korean too... I think? Honestly difficult to discern) Now imagine that happening more frequently and from people who just look at you and assume as such without ever broaching the topic of you having lived there. Often before you even open your mouth. From completely sober people. It gets annoying and tiresome.

Yep, anything that makes you stand out from the crowd can potentially be annoying and tiresome when people try to start conversations. Your job, your name, your accent, your nationality, your stature, where you live etc.. etc.. if you you don't give bog standard replies, people often want to find out more and are usually pretty ignorant.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 06:52:02 PM by eggieguffer »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3207 on: December 05, 2016, 06:48:16 PM »

People are shite. Grown ass adults are shite. Foreigners pestering me "where are you from?" after I've already spoken enough to show an American midwestern accent and said I'M FROM THE USA. "Oh, but you look [insert Asian ethnicity here]." "Oh but where are you really from?" Cause apparently the default American is just a white person.

Things like this make me more than content to remain on my island. Honestly, the last two weekends I have dealt with this rubbish.  >:(

I often get asked, "Are you [European ethnicity]?"  and have no hurt feelings whatsoever.

This. People looking for fights take normal social interactions and turn them into some race relations microcosm. Instead of you know, just answering the question in the same way everyone else does.

There was this white guy on my football team back in high school. Going around we asked it and everyone answered normally. He responded Canadian and refused to state his ancestry because he identified as Canadian.

He was as much of a jackass as anyone of any other race that does the same thing.

Just normal social interaction for North Americans. Not answering this question is akin to telling someone how horrible your day is when they ask how you're doing. No one actually cares.

When I say I'm from America, I am answering "in the same way as everyone else does." When people press further, asking "where were you born?" I answer honestly and tell the city/state where I was born and raised. When someone presses further with "No, where are your parents from?" then it clicks that they're really asking "What's your ethnicity?"

If they "don't care" then why don't they just drop it? Or make their initial question clearer? "What's your ancestry/ethnicity/background?" or "What are your roots?"

There most certainly are people who are just genuinely interested in ancestry. I have no problem with that. But there are other people who seem to want to imply that I'm "not really American" even though we're supposed to be a "melting pot." Or better yet, the people who want to have "won" at guessing my ethnicity.  :rolleyes:

I think you are mistaken. I'm a white guy from a town where most of the people are white. We ask each other where we are from all the time. People answered based on their ancestry. Obviously since most of us were of European decent we answered with those. Ofc, we had our Indian tailback who was a beast and answered with that. Same for my best bud who was born in Iraq.

Saying you're from America is the equivalent of the guy I mentioned above saying he was Canadian.

My thought process: No shit Sherlock. Now, where are you from?

Being angry at the way the question is phrased is like being pissed about someone saying 'What's up?' That's just the way it's asked.

As to you're point on not caring. I ask people how they're doing all the time. This is a secret but I genuinely don't care. The same is true of the above question. It's just normal social banter among peers. Getting angry at it is like getting angry when someone greets you.

Also, wrt to the video. It was shot to draw attention to the 'issue.' But, when I see it I can't help but think of it as a caricature on someone with zero social skill refusing to answer a normal question.

I think we're both mistaken. Our towns and upbringing are different.

Where I grew up, everyone "white" got a pass and just called themselves American and nobody questioned it but when it came to me, it was nah, where you really from? I feel like in Canada/where you're from, people actually realize that everyone's lineage hails from somewhere, whereas in my upbringing people just liked pointing out that I was different. Whenever I returned the question, I just got, "Oh, I'm American." Even though most of them most likely had some European ancestry.

The only phrasing I really take issue with is "What are you?" and generally only because it's typically accompanied with a tone of voice that doesn't imply a friendly question.

Connotation is everything.

Yes, this is true. I've never personally answered the question 'Where are you from?' with Canada. Maybe my hometown but most of the time I stated France despite having been separated from it by centuries. (The answer being dependent upon the context of the question.)

The only person I've ever encountered who actually answered Canada (of any race) was that one dip shit who as I said was a jackass.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3208 on: December 05, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
this place is full of white guys who just can't accept that they lack experience in certain areas to make worthwhile opinions on certain topics. they think everything has to relate back to something they've experienced. stop making false equivalencies. despite what your upbringing has told you, you don't know everything and you don't get a say in everything.

why the hell does a white american/canadian/whatever, think his or her opinion on what the Asian diaspora experience matters whatsoever?  why do they think they can relate?

you can't relate. your hubris is at insane levels to think your opinion needs to be expressed. your life doesn't have the same layers. just accept it and move the **** on.

Who says relate? I'm happy when people ask me my background. Quarter Ukrainian, eighth Italian, Quarter Native Canadian and the rest is a smattering of the British Isles.

I imagine it's annoying to be asked where you are "really from," but talking about ourselves and people being interested in you is a good thing.

This is actually what I was referring to when mention talking about 'Where are you from?' It's not surprising as CO2 and I grew up in the same place-ish and I'm guessing around the same time.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3209 on: December 05, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »

Yep, anything that makes you stand out from the crowd can potentially be annoying and tiresome when people try to start conversations. Your job, your name, your accent, your nationality, your stature, where you live etc.. etc.. if you you don't give bog standard replies, people often want to find out more and are usually pretty ignorant.

Yeah, and I grew up in a town that was pretty vanilla so unfortunately I stood out just because of my Asian appearance. And my college town was kinda... redneck at its core, despite the college population. Honestly, one of the reasons I enjoy living here in Korea is that I "blend in" and strangers generally don't go out of their way to bother me since I no longer look "different." I'm a pretty introverted person as it is so people coming up to me and asking a bunch of questions just gets awkward.

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3210 on: December 05, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »

Yeah, and I grew up in a town that was pretty vanilla so unfortunately I stood out just because of my Asian appearance. And my college town was kinda... redneck at its core, despite the college population. Honestly, one of the reasons I enjoy living here in Korea is that I "blend in" and strangers generally don't go out of their way to bother me since I no longer look "different." I'm a pretty introverted person as it is so people coming up to me and asking a bunch of questions just gets awkward.

Interesting. So did I actually. The non-white population in my town included like 5 black families, couple mixed (one of them being my cousin who is now in pro football), one Indian and one Iraqi. People were generally pretty chill about it.

The only time things got bad was after 9-11. People were pricks to my buddy mentioned previously.

Otoh, my town was definitely not redneck. People were more or less all educated and decently well off.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3211 on: December 05, 2016, 07:06:16 PM »

I'm a white man from England, i have lost count of how many times i get called an American from Koreans of all ages: 미국 사람!.  They don't ask my nationality, they simply announce their guesses to me. 

Surely that is relating to the topic at hand. 

As for the issue of accents (brought up a few pages back)  i cannot tell a yank from a Canuck, or an Oz from a Kiwi.  Most people of the colonies can tell the accents of the various home nations apart, so don't give me the: "I spoke with a midwest accent" because most people outside Yankeeland can tell one accent from another.

So, if you have had a hard day, park up your high horse and step down.

That has happened to me many a times. Let's play the ole guessing game of where ye hail from!

I just mentioned midwest accent because the person interrogating me was Canadian--and of the Canadians I've met, our accents are pretty similar and I've often even been mistaken for a Canadian. At any rate, I definitely don't have any kind of "Asian accent" but still get disbelief from some people when I say I'm American.

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3212 on: December 05, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »

Interesting. So did I actually. The non-white population in my town included like 5 black families, couple mixed (one of them being my cousin who is now in pro football), one Indian and one Iraqi. People were generally pretty chill about it.

The only time things got bad was after 9-11. People were pricks to my buddy mentioned previously.

Otoh, my town was definitely not redneck. People were more or less all educated and decently well off.

Ha-- when I was growing up, kids generally always assumed I was either Chinese or Japanese. None of them knew Korea existed. Then in middle school North Korea did something newsworthy and everyone was asking me if I was north korean. That's like... akin to asking someone if he's east German or west German??  :undecided:

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3213 on: December 05, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
IMO, I would give kids and maybe even adults a pass on the nk/sk thing. I'd 100 per cent give everyone a pass on the Japanese, Chinese, Korean guessing ability.

As a Canadian my grasp of Midwest is not strong.

You were in the right with my countryman. Not always living up to our reputation, unfortunately.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Online yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3214 on: December 05, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
IMO, I would give kids and maybe even adults a pass on the nk/sk thing. I'd 100 per cent give everyone a pass on the Japanese, Chinese, Korean guessing ability.

As a Canadian my grasp of Midwest is not strong.

You were in the right with my countryman. Not always living up to our reputation, unfortunately.

Oh, I don't expect anyone to guess the right country. Though with adults it'd be nice if they don't start randomly guessing like it's some kind of conversation opener.

It was just annoying that they all suddenly decided I might be NK when they previously believed I was from two different countries already. If some other Asian country had gotten into mainstream western news they would've been asking me if I was from that country.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:50:14 PM by yirj17 »

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3215 on: December 06, 2016, 10:11:59 AM »
My trip to the doctor yesterday wasn't terribly successful. It was also rather alarming because my blood pressure was MUCH higher than usual when it was measured. I keep a very close eye on my blood pressure because my dad has hypertension.

Anyways, I went to a proper hospital and they had me seen by an internal medicine doctor. I explained my symptoms, and after crossing possible causes like pregnancy and traumatic head injury off the list, he decided to treat me for... acid reflux. I explained that I know what acid reflux feels like, and this is definitely not it, and that my nausea is head nausea not stomach nausea, but he was not moved. He simply said "I'm an internal medicine doctor, so I'm going to treat you for acid reflux. If you don't feel better in three days I'll refer you to a neurologist for an MRI"

*sigh*

When I looked up the meds he gave me though, one of them was dramamine, so hopefully that at least is moderately helpful. He also gave me acid reflux medication and.... some kind of herbal mugwort pill?? Whatever.

Offline chupacaubrey

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3216 on: December 06, 2016, 10:25:57 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

So I prepared an activity for my 3rd graders (that they're actually into in this post-exam apocalypse!). I get a message this morning about a ppt I "can" use for them because my activity is too hard. The ppt is some garbage where like, you write how down how many puppies you think there are in heaven or whatever and then gasp! there's a reveal slide at the end that tells you what your number means. I'm not doing that.

The way I see it, I have an activity the kids enjoy. I have no help in the classroom anyway so I don't even trust I can hold their attention through 30 slides of utter tripe. Tripe I don't even believe in. So I say, "I prefer ACTIVITY X and have already prepared the materials but thanks for the suggestion!" and I'm leaving it at that.

Am I being a big fat lame?

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3217 on: December 06, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »
Sanity check, y'all.

So I prepared an activity for my 3rd graders (that they're actually into in this post-exam apocalypse!). I get a message this morning about a ppt I "can" use for them because my activity is too hard. The ppt is some garbage where like, you write how down how many puppies you think there are in heaven or whatever and then gasp! there's a reveal slide at the end that tells you what your number means. I'm not doing that.

The way I see it, I have an activity the kids enjoy. I have no help in the classroom anyway so I don't even trust I can hold their attention through 30 slides of utter tripe. Tripe I don't even believe in. So I say, "I prefer ACTIVITY X and have already prepared the materials but thanks for the suggestion!" and I'm leaving it at that.

Am I being a big fat lame?
Dead puppies are never an appropriate classroom activity topic.

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3218 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
I'm sure this is terribly selfish, but the yearly ice skating rink at City Hall has been cancelled because of the presidential protests and I'm so irritated! I always look forward to it and I was going to take my bf this year but now that plan is down the drain. I know there is the Lotte World rink, but it's far away and way more expensive.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3219 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:37 AM »
My trip to the doctor yesterday wasn't terribly successful. It was also rather alarming because my blood pressure was MUCH higher than usual when it was measured. I keep a very close eye on my blood pressure because my dad has hypertension.

Anyways, I went to a proper hospital and they had me seen by an internal medicine doctor. I explained my symptoms, and after crossing possible causes like pregnancy and traumatic head injury off the list, he decided to treat me for... acid reflux. I explained that I know what acid reflux feels like, and this is definitely not it, and that my nausea is head nausea not stomach nausea, but he was not moved. He simply said "I'm an internal medicine doctor, so I'm going to treat you for acid reflux. If you don't feel better in three days I'll refer you to a neurologist for an MRI"

*sigh*

When I looked up the meds he gave me though, one of them was dramamine, so hopefully that at least is moderately helpful. He also gave me acid reflux medication and.... some kind of herbal mugwort pill?? Whatever.
I have had massive frustration with the Korean medical system. In some ways it is excellent, in others awful.
So many doctors here have this way of fixating on one symptom or one diagnosis, when it clearly isn't that thing. You really have to push for the tests that you want, otherwise you'll get stuck in the "come back in 3 days" cycle forever.
Have you had full blood tests/urine test?

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment