November 20, 2017, 05:35:04 PM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 566122 times)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »
Why must there be references to all things Korean in the textbooks? Future tense with a vacation theme. Where will you go? What will you do?/I will X.

I will go to Busan by train. I will go to the Busan Sea festival and eat sushi (hoe).

I will go to Jeonju by bus. I will see the hanok village and eat bibimbap.

Don't the kids get enough crap about their own culture in EVERY OTHER class they have? The English class is the perfect place to introduce stuff that isn't Korean.

I learned a lot about French culture in my French classes. We didn't focus on Toronto shit, we learned about the language we were learning.   

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #321 on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »
It's also a poor choice of context. Its one thing to not get into the nitty gritty of nuance with the students, but at least proof the books so they can lead by example with natural contexts!

The sixth grade book we use actually has one chapter where the videos get so deep into the Korean heritage stuff that they forgot to actually include any of the target language whatsoever.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline toddingumi

• Veteran
« Reply #322 on: July 21, 2016, 09:39:46 AM »
Me: Did you order the materials for camp?

Ct: No. The rest of the students who are not taking ur class are taking TOEIC, and they don't need any materials.

Me: ???????

One more semester.

Online kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #323 on: July 21, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »
Why must there be references to all things Korean in the textbooks? Future tense with a vacation theme. Where will you go? What will you do?/I will X.

I will go to Busan by train. I will go to the Busan Sea festival and eat sushi (hoe).
I learned a lot about French culture in my French classes. We didn't focus on Toronto shit, we learned about the language we were learning.
To be fair, the train ride to Busan is so awesome that there's a movie coming out about it that I'm definitely planning on watching!

Also, I remember that when I was young(er) my French textbooks featured a group of four music playing aliens (Zip,Zap, Zop, and Zoup) who crash landed in a French speaking city. For three entire years, we followed their crazy French speaking shenanigans as they learned about their new home.
Talk about authenticity!

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #324 on: July 21, 2016, 09:42:41 AM »

Don't the kids get enough crap about their own culture in EVERY OTHER class they have? The English class is the perfect place to introduce stuff that isn't Korean.

Are you using Daekyo? :laugh: "How do you say 'Hello' in Korean?" ... Don't you already know how to say that? "Do you know about 'hangwa'? It's a traditional korean cookie." ... :rolleyes:

Offline west coast tatterdemalion

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #325 on: July 21, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
Even during the week..you can't escape the lack of etiquette in supermarkets here. So, the aisle is busy and jammed with carts. I move my out of the way so that this beetch can go(we were facing each other). And what does she do? She decides to take one of the samples and block the aisle with her cart and making me just wait for her to finish. You are welcome, beetch.  Damn...idiots.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Sort yourself out
« Reply #326 on: July 21, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
Are you using Daekyo? :laugh: "How do you say 'Hello' in Korean?" ... Don't you already know how to say that? "Do you know about 'hangwa'? It's a traditional korean cookie." ... :rolleyes:

"We say ann yawng."

Online flyingspider

• Super Waygook
« Reply #327 on: July 21, 2016, 09:54:07 AM »

For the "Help Yourself" lesson in 5th grade my co wanted to dedicate a class to learning about traditional Korean food. Managed to steer her away from that thankfully.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:14:00 PM by chelseajk »

Offline Loki88

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #328 on: July 21, 2016, 10:35:58 AM »
I hate people who don't listen.

I gave an exact and detailed list of exactly what I needed for camp including snacks, drinks and materials for all the students. Literally down to the exact flavor.

I do have some new mini-chalkboards though. Which I never asked for. But no chalk in the school or chalkboard erasers (all whiteboards here), And some files. Which I never asked for. And I somehow have to make 25 kids drink;
240 juice boxes (10 packs of 24 - which I never asked for),
16L of OJ (8 2Ls- I asked for 16 of them) and
24L of coke (I asked for half that) in a span of 10 days.

I don't hand out candy. Never have and never will. I have three massive boxes of candy. I don't do prizes.

I was told no budget for the market day I like to do at the end. Too expensive. It takes about 100k won per camp. We spent easily that much on all the shit I didn't ask for. I am so excessively pissed with this lady I am restraining myself from smashing her head against a desk.

But in the end, we did manage to get a 1000 won bag of chopsticks. That was possible. I had to steal the rest from all the teachers hidden stores throughout the school. Same for plastic spoons.

Edit: And with the last little bit of remaining budget we bought roll cakes for the office. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 10:44:56 AM by Loki88 »

Gasian

« Reply #329 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
I have just been told that today we will have a meeting regarding feedback for my open classes. Given the state of my relationship with my main CT I am an absolute mess waiting to hear once again how useless I am and how everything I do is wrong. Irritates me considering that I know I will get negative feedback and yet there are waiting lists of students for my summer camps (so how awful a teacher could I possibly be?).

Knotted stomach of dread.

...therefore don't let it get to you.  There has to be some feedback.  Just nod and then forget about it.  A couple of years back I had a 'special' co-teacher who was hopeless at everything.  It was a case of 'the lights are on but no one is home' situation.  I just couldn't stomach conversation with her because she'd come out with things like 'wow, your English is really good'  :cry: I had to endure eight months of it, but feel stronger because of it.  I am sure your open class was great, so don't let some negative comments from someone whose opinion you don't value get to you.  Whenever I had bad times I would concentrate on my students as they always found a way to make me happy, which is essentially why we are here, to teach them.  You have full classes for summer camp, so that means a lot.

Thanks for this. Calmed me down a bit looking from this perspective.

To update, my CT was translating and showing only negative comments, (parents want more homework, less homework, more talking, less talking, a shuttle bus???) just the usual parent things. Then another English teacher started going through the positive comments. Those were great. Some great constructive criticism and really great comments all round, , and so my CT then started changing her tune. Also we have record applications for the centre and have had to add 2 classes, which my CT has to teach - wakakakakakaka wakakakakaka This made me so happy because now she has to actually do work wakakakaka.

*drops the mic "Booya"

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #330 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:14 AM »

"We say ann yawng."

Oh man. That book is so bad.

I hate it. I'm sure all the books are like this, but the conversations included in the book are also so awkward. For the grade 5 "What Time Do You Go To Bed?" lesson, they include the sentences "Wow! You're an early bird!" and "You go to bed too late. You're a night owl." ............... *cringe*

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2016, 10:46:31 AM »
Relationships are the worst.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:14 AM »
To update, my CT was translating and showing only negative comments, (parents want more homework, less homework, more talking, less talking, a shuttle bus???) just the usual parent things. Then another English teacher started going through the positive comments. Those were great. Some great constructive criticism and really great comments all round, , and so my CT then started changing her tune. Also we have record applications for the centre and have had to add 2 classes, which my CT has to teach - wakakakakakaka wakakakakaka This made me so happy because now she has to actually do work wakakakaka.

*drops the mic "Booya"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually chuckled at that. I'm glad something went your way, but that laugh. :laugh:

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

:sad: What happened?

Offline devsterl

• Super Waygook
« Reply #334 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:16 AM »

*drops the mic "Booya"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually chuckled at that. I'm glad something went your way, but that laugh. :laugh:

I instantly thought of the Waka Waka song by Shakira when  first read it  ;D

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #335 on: July 21, 2016, 12:43:01 PM »
Me: "Alright, time to watch this movie so I can decide which parts of the government-supplied worksheets to include and which to take away."
Disk drive: *doesn't work*

My coteacher's response was just "oh, it doesn't work?" and then she wandered off to do something else.

I know I could borrow the DVD, but I have several big problems. 1. my personal computer doesn't have a disk drive. 2. even if my computer had a disk drive, the sound doesn't work. So it's completely impossible for me to watch this movie.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #336 on: July 21, 2016, 12:44:21 PM »
Me: "Alright, time to watch this movie so I can decide which parts of the government-supplied worksheets to include and which to take away."
Disk drive: *doesn't work*

My coteacher's response was just "oh, it doesn't work?" and then she wandered off to do something else.

I know I could borrow the DVD, but I have several big problems. 1. my personal computer doesn't have a disk drive. 2. even if my computer had a disk drive, the sound doesn't work. So it's completely impossible for me to watch this movie.

omg nvm coteacher to the rescue. She happened to have the movie on her usb and transferred it to my computer.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #337 on: July 21, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

:sad: What happened?

I feel like none of the foreigners here are looking for anything serious.  Except me.  I guess I'm just crazy?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #338 on: July 21, 2016, 02:38:32 PM »
Also I hope the ferry bringing EPIK teachers to dokdo sinks.  Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Offline Imogen1991

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #339 on: July 21, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Also I hope the ferry bringing EPIK teachers to dokdo sinks.  Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

aren't you a delight