December 11, 2017, 11:56:53 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 594312 times)

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3160 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
To be fair, it's pretty healthy to make lunch your largest meal in the day and just have some vegetables and maybe a little brown rice for dinner. Maybe some meat or something if it's a special occasion.

a) it's easier than cooking a big elaborate meal.
b) it's healthier.
c) it's cheaper.
d) you don't go to bed with a bunch of calories just waiting to be converted to fat tissue while you sleep

1500 calories is a perfectly reasonable and healthy amount of calories to have in a day.

1,500 calories would not be their average intake. that's what they would eat on a good (bad?) day, and that would be at the extreme upper end for them.

the school lunches are around 450-600 calories (this is what our nutrition info sheet says) if you eat the whole thing. if you eat half of it and chuck the other half away, you're looking at what, maybe around 300 calories that some of them are eating for lunch.

if you actually calculate the calories in some of the dishes i mentioned earlier: seaweed soup is around 80-100 calories, 1 cup of rice is about 200-300. so that combined with lunch is actually prob around 6-700 calories per day that some of these women are averaging. if they 'indulge' in ramyeon, that's about 4-500 calories depending on the brand.

and there is no ways anyone can say that being underweight is healthy. it can lead to a host of health problems like anemia, osteoporosis, missed periods (in women), hair loss, irregular hormone regulation, reduced fertility, chronic tiredness, compromised immune system, and dying earlier. there are even some studies that suggest that being underweight is more dangerous to your health than being overweight.

maintenance calories for a 25 year old female who does no exercise, weighs 45kg (i just rounded this up to 100lbs), and is the average height of a south korean female of 5 feet 3 inches, is 1,408 calories per day according to the Mifflin-St Jeor Equation. so.... unless they are eating at least 1,400 calories per day, it's not enough to remain healthy.

Online kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3161 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
Do you know how much their bonuses are?

not really sure but i *think* it may be calculated as a percentage of their salary. so teachers who earn less get less, but it's still fairly large.

don't quote me on that though....

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3162 on: December 10, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Went for my haircut today and though the hairdresser can cut ok (slightly better than the other ones in my city), she styles my hair like sh*t.

This is the style I go for and I always remind her with the pic. I'm perfectly capable of styling my hair like that, in the mornings. Shower, 4min with a hairdryer, a little pomade and we're good to go.

I emphasise NOT to make it puffy or in any way resembling a K-pop star. She claims to understand then after cutting it, proceeds to puff it up, with the hairdryer, blowing over my natural part for extra puffiness and I end up with this... only messier.

At the end, she asks me "What do you think?" and I told her I didn't like it at all. Again, I showed her the picture for comparison. She then tries to placate me by saying how handsome I look. My hair was already loaded with product, so restyling would've taken too long and probably been another exercise in futility.
I usually grit my teeth and bear with the shame for the few minutes it takes me to get home and wash it out, but FFS, it's really not an outlandish style to get right.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3163 on: December 10, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »
I feel your pain!  There's always an irresistible urge for stylists to "Koreanize" your cut even if you don't ask for it and have specifically told them what you want (plus a picture).

I've found that the list of things I have to tell them not to do is more important than what I'm actually asking for  ;D

Online sligo

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3164 on: December 10, 2016, 07:58:49 PM »
I was drivig today and was stuck in a traffic jam.  The car infront, in the lane to my left decided to change lane, as i wanted to change lane myself, i waited for the traffic to start moving, and let him go.  I then idicated and attempted to move into the space he had vacated.  The was a space about 3 cars lengths long and i indicated and started to move over.  Suddenly i heard an engine rev and then this car flew into my front left wing.  The guy decided it would be a good idea to try and drive a 3 car length space before i could get into his lane.  It seemed that one spot ahead in a traffic jam was imprtant.  My video clearly showed him consciously driving into me. 

I called the police and they came and marked the scene.  The insurance guys showed up and had a look, and told me that as my back wheel was just about on a zebra crossing (maybe 2 foot before it ended) it was my fault, they acknowledged that the other guy caused the accident.  So it will go down at best 50/50, even though he caused the accident.  To add insult to injury, he said he wouldn't go to hospital or hire a replacement car (both cars were only cosmetically damaged) if i shouldered the higher burden.

And to make matters worse, the egg tart i baked this evening wasn't that good.  The recipe called for too little sugar.  My wife called it a "Gehran Jjim tart".

Offline gaelynwrites

• Veteran
« Reply #3165 on: December 12, 2016, 07:17:03 AM »
Don't you hate it when you make tea and want to drink it right away but it's too hot and it burns your tongue? Yeah. Oh, and the only reason I made tea is because I'm sick and it's settled in my throat. Teaching's going to be a real joy this week. (At least it's finals week.)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3166 on: December 12, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »
8:20 and I'm already annoyed.

Someone (my CT I suspect) has cleaned the whiteboard in my classroom with something and now it's ruined. 

Yay.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3167 on: December 12, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »
I was drivig today and was stuck in a traffic jam.  The car infront, in the lane to my left decided to change lane, as i wanted to change lane myself, i waited for the traffic to start moving, and let him go.  I then idicated and attempted to move into the space he had vacated.  The was a space about 3 cars lengths long and i indicated and started to move over.  Suddenly i heard an engine rev and then this car flew into my front left wing.  The guy decided it would be a good idea to try and drive a 3 car length space before i could get into his lane.  It seemed that one spot ahead in a traffic jam was imprtant.  My video clearly showed him consciously driving into me. 

I called the police and they came and marked the scene.  The insurance guys showed up and had a look, and told me that as my back wheel was just about on a zebra crossing (maybe 2 foot before it ended) it was my fault, they acknowledged that the other guy caused the accident.  So it will go down at best 50/50, even though he caused the accident.  To add insult to injury, he said he wouldn't go to hospital or hire a replacement car (both cars were only cosmetically damaged) if i shouldered the higher burden.

This is something I'll still never understand about Korea, the ridiculous car insurance percentages.  Having driven for four years in Korea and up until now never any accidents (touch wood) I just can't fathom how you can separate blame like this.  In England, if someone rearends you at a roundabout it is 100% their fault, they weren't paying attention and probably didn't leave enough thinking and braking time.  The same accident here would leave some blame with you.  Why?  Also he wouldn't go to hospital?  For what?  Prick!

Offline strugglebunny

• Veteran
« Reply #3168 on: December 12, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
Went for my haircut today and though the hairdresser can cut ok (slightly better than the other ones in my city), she styles my hair like sh*t.

At least that style looks decent. You could have received the window-licker bowl-cut that seems to be all the rage with the boys in my area.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3169 on: December 12, 2016, 07:59:55 AM »

Someone (my CT I suspect) has cleaned the whiteboard in my classroom with something and now it's ruined. 

Yay.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I hate it when that happens. It ALWAYS happened to me before. And then the whiteboard won't erase and you get a smudgy, greasy mess.

Yep  :sad:

No doubt I'll get blamed for it too  :rolleyes:

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3170 on: December 12, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »

Yay.

Oh. My. Goodness.

I hate it when that happens. It ALWAYS happened to me before. And then the whiteboard won't erase and you get a smudgy, greasy mess.

Yep  :sad:

No doubt I'll get blamed for it too  :rolleyes:

Most likley their combination cleaning method of magic eraser and 3M spray sticky solvent remover crap.

Offline Dave Stepz

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3171 on: December 12, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »

At least that style looks decent. You could have received the window-licker bowl-cut that seems to be all the rage with the boys in my area.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3172 on: December 12, 2016, 08:07:49 AM »

I went to a wedding on the weekend.  The groom, who was 36 years old, was sporting the "Window-licker", as it shall henceforth be known.

If the purpose was to make the bride look better, he succeeded.

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3173 on: December 12, 2016, 08:09:06 AM »

Yay.

Oh. My. Goodness.

My school bought a bunch of cheap "white board cleaner" and it smells like pure rubbing alcohol. Sure enough, after a few uses my boards are now almost impossible to erase. A good white board is supposed to have a thin coating of wax or oil so they are easy to erase. Alcohol completely strips it of that. I read somewhere that a light misting of WD-40 sprayed and then rubbed on the board might restore it a bit. I have a small can at home, I might try it on a corner of the board and see if it works, then tell the school to do it themselves because I'm not going to pay for all that, and then wait for months while they try and find $20 petty cash to get it done.

I miss chalk.

At least none of my current schools use liquid chalk. That stuff is garbage.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Aku romantis tanpa harapam
« Reply #3174 on: December 12, 2016, 08:12:58 AM »
Why can't I paste text into HWP? I copy an excerpt from a webpage, ctrl v in HWP and NOTHING.

Online welcomebackkotter

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3175 on: December 12, 2016, 08:19:30 AM »
I have to wait until the 28th to see Rogue One!!! C'mon, that's like 2 weeks after the premiere in Slovakia and Cambodia and everywhere else in the bloody world. FFS This does not make me happy.  I was going to see it for my birthday, which was the original world release date. Now I'm sad.

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3176 on: December 12, 2016, 08:40:29 AM »

Yay.

Oh. My. Goodness.

My school bought a bunch of cheap "white board cleaner" and it smells like pure rubbing alcohol. Sure enough, after a few uses my boards are now almost impossible to erase. A good white board is supposed to have a thin coating of wax or oil so they are easy to erase. Alcohol completely strips it of that. I read somewhere that a light misting of WD-40 sprayed and then rubbed on the board might restore it a bit. I have a small can at home, I might try it on a corner of the board and see if it works, then tell the school to do it themselves because I'm not going to pay for all that, and then wait for months while they try and find $20 petty cash to get it done.

I miss chalk.

At least none of my current schools use liquid chalk. That stuff is garbage.

One of the schools I taught at, the classroom was a chalkboard. LOVED IT!!! So many colors, erases well, etc... I don't understand the move to Dry erase. Step backwards in my opinion. BUT CHALK DUST! Umm, just get a eraser vacuum. PLus I think modern chalk is less dustier?

Offline emmas28

• Veteran
« Reply #3177 on: December 12, 2016, 08:43:20 AM »
Apparently something MAJOR exciting happened over the weekend because the two office staff I sit opposite will not shut up! I don't understand why they need to talk so loudly when they're sat next to each other. I even have headphones in and music on and I can STILL HEAR THEM. It's Monday morning, quiet please!

Online HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3178 on: December 12, 2016, 08:52:14 AM »
Apparently something MAJOR exciting happened over the weekend because the two office staff I sit opposite will not shut up! I don't understand why they need to talk so loudly when they're sat next to each other. I even have headphones in and music on and I can STILL HEAR THEM. It's Monday morning, quiet please!
Maybe they are talking about the impeachment. That's a pretty major deal.

Online zola

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3179 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:01 AM »
I have to wait until the 28th to see Rogue One!!! C'mon, that's like 2 weeks after the premiere in Slovakia and Cambodia and everywhere else in the bloody world. FFS This does not make me happy.  I was going to see it for my birthday, which was the original world release date. Now I'm sad.

This is the first I've heard of this. I just looked and you are right.
What. The. FUUCK. I had assumed it was this Thursday/Friday like the rest of the developed world... I had planned out my whole day Friday around this :cry: i didn't even check, becuase why would I?

Force Awakens came out the same time here as everywhere else. Why the hell are they pushing this one back two weeks?! Why are they doing this to me?