September 20, 2017, 12:39:46 AM

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 481868 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3140 on: December 05, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
Due to Korea’s abandonment of the 2020 GHG goal, along with steep increases in greenhouse gas emissions and financial support for coal-fired power plant exports, the Institute for Climate Change Action (ICCA) announced on November 6, 2016, that South Korea was now in the basket of the four biggest “climate villains"

South Korea leads list of 2016 climate villains
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2016/11/04/south_korea_climate_villains/

When it comes to domestic climate policy Korea was the only country to shift radically into reverse in 2016.

:sad: Burning so much coal is really bad for the environment. It makes the air so dirty. Why would Korea want to increasingly use coal as an energy source? To save money?

The air is dirty because of China. It's not Korea's fault.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2015/03/116_174608.html

Bullshit.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3141 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
Elem. coT is reaheaallly coddling the students today.And the day has just begun. Like please stop. They don't need translations of "1 pt, 2 pts, 3 pts, etc." They don't need a translation of this game, we've played it before. They don't need you to make their score keeping card for them, they're in 5th grade and have made their own numerous times before. Stop telling them the wrong thing. Stop giving free time out like you're Oprah.  >:( >:( >:( This is why I hate elem. Just stop interfering--how is it that you always translate the completely unnecessary minutiae but when the students actually could use some help you sit there smiling glibly??!

And she constantly tells me this class is "very smart" yet today feels the need to micromanage the whole time. 

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3142 on: December 05, 2016, 10:44:55 AM »
Why would Korea want to increasingly use coal as an energy source? To save money?

That's part of the reason. Coal power is cheaper and easier than most renewables. KEPCO has also invested quite a bit of money into coal. From Wikipedia:

In order to raise its fuel self-sufficiency rate to 60% by 2020,[25] in 2010, KEPCO acquired the Bylong Coal Mine in Australia from Anglo American PLC.[26] Also in 2010, KEPCO bought a 20% stake in Bayan Resources in Indonesia, thus allowing the company to raise its coal self-sufficiency rate by 7 million tons annually from 2015.[27] In 2009, KEPCO bought a 1.5% stake in Indonesia's Adaro Energy, thus securing 3 million tons of coal annually.[28]

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3143 on: December 05, 2016, 10:46:26 AM »
Cognitive dissonance incoming.
Ignore. Ignore. Forget.
Cognitive dissonance resolved.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3144 on: December 05, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
Are you being sarcastic or do you geniuinely believe that most of the pollution here comes from China?

and your username reminded me of what's going to be my rant for the day - stole an Ediya coffee stick from the 4th grade teachers' office at my school because i've run out of my personal stash of coffee. turned out to be decaf. instant karma i guess  :laugh:

Instant coffee karma :P

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3145 on: December 05, 2016, 10:57:43 AM »

Completely 100% unrelated: I genuinely wish I could quit smoking, but I just don't have the will to do it because I enjoy it so much. I generally spend the last 50% of my day looking forward to the cigarette I'll have when I get home. Sucks that it's so bad for you and such a gross smell on your clothes / breath / hair / everything.

OMG me too!!!! I look forward to that 5pm cigarette like a kid at Christmas!!!

Feel your pain. I smoked a packet a day at my peak, 5 years clean.

1 - Gym, with Death Metal/Gangster Rap in your ears.
2 - You've learned to associate stress with smoking, retrain your brain.
3 - Stay away from people and situations where you smoke the most
4 - Gym some more
5 - Did I mention gym?

This is really good advice that I have heard a number of times, but I am an addict and therefore my brain in this regard malfunctions, and I will rationalise and justify my ways through a completely broken cognitive process, I will then try and correct this cognitive malfunction with my own broken cognitive processes. Vicious circle. I actually did stop for a while and changed to an e-cig, was doing really well, but then my CT happened and well things have been down hill from there.

I have been promising myself that I need to join the gym for winter..... procrastinating like a mother f*%ker on that one. *screaming at myself* JUST DO IT ALREADY
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3146 on: December 05, 2016, 11:14:27 AM »

Completely 100% unrelated: I genuinely wish I could quit smoking, but I just don't have the will to do it because I enjoy it so much. I generally spend the last 50% of my day looking forward to the cigarette I'll have when I get home. Sucks that it's so bad for you and such a gross smell on your clothes / breath / hair / everything.

4 - Gym some more
5 - Did I mention gym?

This is really good advice that I have heard a number of times, but I am an addict and therefore my brain in this regard malfunctions, and I will rationalise and justify my ways through a completely broken cognitive process, I will then try and correct this cognitive malfunction with my own broken cognitive processes. Vicious circle. I actually did stop for a while and changed to an e-cig, was doing really well, but then my CT happened and well things have been down hill from there.

I have been promising myself that I need to join the gym for winter..... procrastinating like a mother f*%ker on that one. *screaming at myself* JUST DO IT ALREADY

I decided to force myself to take walks out in the cold to prevent my recent problem drinking :) Since I've proven to myself that I lack the confidence to join a gym

Offline eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #3147 on: December 05, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »

4 - Gym some more
5 - Did I mention gym?

I agree with 2 but not the others. if you're a social person stopping going out drinking with mates is just going to make your life more miserable, when it'll already be tough. As for all the gym references IMO that's like telling someone to quit smoking by taking cold showers or drinking their own urine.

I'd say give yourself lots of treats, count the days and tell yourself it'll get much easier after the first week.

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3148 on: December 05, 2016, 11:36:58 AM »

4 - Gym some more
5 - Did I mention gym?

I decided to force myself to take walks out in the cold to prevent my recent problem drinking :) Since I've proven to myself that I lack the confidence to join a gym

JUST DO IT

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3149 on: December 05, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »

4 - Gym some more
5 - Did I mention gym?

JUST DO IT
A wise man once said

Offline HaLo3

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3150 on: December 05, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »
I hate when the students let out these long drawn out groans when I tell them to open their notebooks. I mean come on, it's school. Of course you are going to have to do some work for crying out loud.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down.
« Reply #3151 on: December 05, 2016, 12:40:53 PM »
I hate when the students let out these long drawn out groans when I tell them to open their notebooks. I mean come on, it's school. Of course you are going to have to do some work for crying out loud.

Kids are shit.
Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3152 on: December 05, 2016, 12:54:48 PM »

Kids are shit.

People are shite. Grown ass adults are shite. Foreigners pestering me "where are you from?" after I've already spoken enough to show an American midwestern accent and said I'M FROM THE USA. "Oh, but you look [insert Asian ethnicity here]." "Oh but where are you really from?" Cause apparently the default American is just a white person.

Things like this make me more than content to remain on my island. Honestly, the last two weekends I have dealt with this rubbish.  >:(

Offline sevenpm

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3153 on: December 05, 2016, 12:58:49 PM »
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but when I first got to Korea and learned about all the ways they recycle I thought this sort of awareness would extend to other parts of the society too. People told me how much Koreans care about recycling/the environment/not wasting energy etc etc so I had some weird expectations. Like, I thought Korean-made products would have less extra pointless packaging. Somehow, there seems to be MORE??

Offline yirgacheffe

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3154 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:30 PM »
I'm not sure what I was thinking, but when I first got to Korea and learned about all the ways they recycle I thought this sort of awareness would extend to other parts of the society too. People told me how much Koreans care about recycling/the environment/not wasting energy etc etc so I had some weird expectations. Like, I thought Korean-made products would have less extra pointless packaging. Somehow, there seems to be MORE??

That's logical. It's so that you have more things to recycle. The more things you recycle, the better and fuzzier you feel inside.

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3155 on: December 05, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »

People are shite. Grown ass adults are shite. Foreigners pestering me "where are you from?" after I've already spoken enough to show an American midwestern accent and said I'M FROM THE USA. "Oh, but you look [insert Asian ethnicity here]." "Oh but where are you really from?" Cause apparently the default American is just a white person.

Things like this make me more than content to remain on my island. Honestly, the last two weekends I have dealt with this rubbish.  >:(

I often get asked, "Are you [European ethnicity]?"  and have no hurt feelings whatsoever.

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3156 on: December 05, 2016, 01:34:38 PM »

I often get asked, "Are you [European ethnicity]?"  and have no hurt feelings whatsoever.

There's a bit of a difference tho if people don't accept your answer of being american cuz they're trying to place what kind of asian you are. I get that. I'm mixed so people try to guess where I'm from. Good luck to them guessing cuz I'm also adopted and have no clue what my background is. I usually say "I uno, something white and something black" and people back off XD

Offline donovan

• The Legend
  • 후레쉬
« Reply #3157 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

Are you then told
"Oh, but you look [insert other ethnicity here]." "Oh but where are you really from?"
?

Offline What?What?

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3158 on: December 05, 2016, 01:47:13 PM »
"Are you Russian?"  :blank: :rolleyes: >:( :blank:

"Are you really from Africa? Why are you white? Do you speak African?" :cry: :cry:

"You look Irish though, are you sure you are from Africa?"  :blank: :blank: :blank:

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
-A.A. Milne

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3159 on: December 05, 2016, 01:51:03 PM »

There's a bit of a difference tho if people don't accept your answer of being american cuz they're trying to place what kind of asian you are. I get that. I'm mixed so people try to guess where I'm from. Good luck to them guessing cuz I'm also adopted and have no clue what my background is. I usually say "I uno, something white and something black" and people back off XD

I showed my swing friends a picture of my girlfriend (Chinese-Filipino-American) and they ask "oh, is she Chinese??" "No, American" "But she is Asian!" "There are many Asian people who live in America." "But she looks Chinese" "Yes. Her mom is ethnically Chinese. But they were both born in America"

Then they proceed to give me a loooooong inquisitive look

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment