September 26, 2018, 10:23:12 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0  (Read 1098785 times)

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
Re: RANTING/VENTING MEGATHREAD 3.0
« Reply #3080 on: December 09, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »
First rant here.

Okay, so I'm at the school where kids are pretty unmotivated. I've successfully combated that by spending as little time in the book as possible, then playing a game where they'll get plenty of repetition of the target phrase.

So, today I'm teaching the 3rd grade middle school students, and they had a lot of fun with the game for the first phrase, and I just finished explaining the second phrase we would learn this week. I have only 10 minutes left, but that's fine, we should get through a couple of rounds of the game today and play it a couple of times.

But apparently one of the boys is acting up so much (admittedly, this student is usually half asleep, but I prefer that to disruptive), so my CoT proceeds to yell at him. In front of everyone. For the last ten minutes of class.

So now, the entire class is behind on the phrase, so I either have to cut it or cut off part of the next chapter to get some practice in.

That happens to me every single class with one of my CTs.  She gets really emotional and yells at the students over the smallest things.  When a student is a few seconds late she'll play a song on youtube and make them noraebang it for the first 5 minutes... and it takes about 5 minutes to get them to actually do it.  Then when I'm going through my ppt she'll pull students in the hallway and yell at them for 5/10 minutes rather than assisting me in explaining the grammatical point.  So by punishing one student, she's punishing everyone.

Offline WheresMyCoffee

• Adventurer
« Reply #3081 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:24 AM »
First rant here.

Okay, so I'm at the school where kids are pretty unmotivated. I've successfully combated that by spending as little time in the book as possible, then playing a game where they'll get plenty of repetition of the target phrase.

So, today I'm teaching the 3rd grade middle school students, and they had a lot of fun with the game for the first phrase, and I just finished explaining the second phrase we would learn this week. I have only 10 minutes left, but that's fine, we should get through a couple of rounds of the game today and play it a couple of times.

But apparently one of the boys is acting up so much (admittedly, this student is usually half asleep, but I prefer that to disruptive), so my CoT proceeds to yell at him. In front of everyone. For the last ten minutes of class.

So now, the entire class is behind on the phrase, so I either have to cut it or cut off part of the next chapter to get some practice in.

That happens to me every single class with one of my CTs.  She gets really emotional and yells at the students over the smallest things.  When a student is a few seconds late she'll play a song on youtube and make them noraebang it for the first 5 minutes... and it takes about 5 minutes to get them to actually do it.  Then when I'm going through my ppt she'll pull students in the hallway and yell at them for 5/10 minutes rather than assisting me in explaining the grammatical point.  So by punishing one student, she's punishing everyone.

Yeah there is literally no consistency in public school in regards to how you can run your class. That's why, when I see people spouting off about how they are good teachers, and better than everyone else, because their classes are this and that, and they do this and that... it's like  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah come try that at my school so I can watch it drastically fail.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3082 on: December 09, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
Koreans in general seem to think we get paid a lot more than we do. At a meetup with Americans and Koreans, one of the Americans offered to pay for the whole meal because it was one of the Koreans' birthday. The other was surprised, and birthday Korean said to her friend "oh, well, it's because foreign English teachers make a lot of money. 3mil won a month"

I wish!!!
even if you only make 2.5m a month, you still get a free apartment. if you took the housing allowance, you'd be on 3m

2.5m is now the top of the payscale in most places in korea (public school). so you'd have to be here around 3 years or more to get that. the housing allowance is also pretty much a pittance these days, and hasn't increased for ages, while rent has continued to rise. and we might get housing but we don't get the huge chuseok and seollal bonuses the korean teachers do. and if you put those bonuses together, for even the junior korean teachers they will exceed what our housing allowance is every year.

not only that but korean teachers also get 300,000 Won per year of 'well-being' money. they can use that for pretty much anything that helps with their 'well-being'. massages, bus/train tickets to visit their relatives, etc.

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3083 on: December 09, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Edit: I found this great reaction image but then waygook user "I don't remember his name because he only had 34 posts" deleted his post

sad

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 12:10:31 PM by moonbrie »

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3084 on: December 09, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
- They throw half of it away
- This is probably the largest meal they'll eat of the day... sometimes the only one
- They diet/starve themselves
- You'll notice that whilst being thin, muscle is almost non-existent, their bodies keep breaking
  down muscle tissue since glycogen stores are perpetually low.
- Some will do regular cardio

The fast and slow metabolism excuse is... well... BS.
'Natural' metabolic speeds are only really 5% faster than normal, for people with fast metabolisms and 5% slower than normal for folks with slower metabolisms.
The thing that really slows down or kicks up your metabolic speeds is the amount of muscle your body carries. More muscle = faster metabolism and vice versa.

Korean woman, in particular, are starving themselves to look thinner.

i would agree with this. from speaking to the female teachers at my school, the vast majority of them don't eat breakfast. and when i ask them what they have for dinner they'll most often say something like "ramyeon" or "rice and seaweed soup" or something like that.

our school lunches are around 450-600 calories, and those types of dinners aren't more than 500 calories. i would say a lot of the female teachers at my school are only eating 1,000-1,500 calories per day. ANYONE will be skinny eating so few calories.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3085 on: December 09, 2016, 12:30:26 PM »
- This is probably the largest meal they'll eat of the day... sometimes the only one
- You'll notice that whilst being thin, muscle is almost non-existent, their bodies keep breaking

'Natural' metabolic speeds are only really 5% faster than normal, for people with fast metabolisms and 5% slower than normal for folks with slower metabolisms.
The thing that really slows down or kicks up your metabolic speeds is the amount of muscle your body carries. More muscle = faster metabolism and vice versa.

i would agree with this. from speaking to the female teachers at my school, the vast majority of them don't eat breakfast. and when i ask them what they have for dinner they'll most often say something like "ramyeon" or "rice and seaweed soup" or something like that.

our school lunches are around 450-600 calories, and those types of dinners aren't more than 500 calories. i would say a lot of the female teachers at my school are only eating 1,000-1,500 calories per day. ANYONE will be skinny eating so few calories.

To be fair, it's pretty healthy to make lunch your largest meal in the day and just have some vegetables and maybe a little brown rice for dinner. Maybe some meat or something if it's a special occasion.

a) it's easier than cooking a big elaborate meal.
b) it's healthier.
c) it's cheaper.
d) you don't go to bed with a bunch of calories just waiting to be converted to fat tissue while you sleep

1500 calories is a perfectly reasonable and healthy amount of calories to have in a day.

Personally I'd rather have a bigger lunch and then a smaller supper. Caloric intake needs depend on your lifestyle. If one expends a lot of energy then one should probably intake more than the average person. If one doesn't really exercise much, one could do with less.

1500 calories has been my average intake before but I never starved myself. I just ate really simply-- like eggs and veggies.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3086 on: December 09, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »

...Caloric intake needs depend on your lifestyle. If one expends a lot of energy then one should probably intake more than the average person. If one doesn't really exercise much, one could do with less.

1500 calories has been my average intake before but I never starved myself. I just ate really simply-- like eggs and veggies.

This is why former-athletes are often fat.

Look at most NFL or CFL football coaches.

That's my excuse anyway - I have never been a an athlete but my activity level is much less than it was in younger years.  My eating, however is about the same.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3087 on: December 09, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »

...Caloric intake needs depend on your lifestyle. If one expends a lot of energy then one should probably intake more than the average person. If one doesn't really exercise much, one could do with less.

That's my excuse anyway - I have never been a an athlete but my activity level is much less than it was in younger years.  My eating, however is about the same.

Yup. Post-college I definitely gained more squish around my middle because the job I got after graduating was very sedentary. As I'm not prone to exercising, I try to balance it out with watching my portion consumption and so far I haven't gained a terrible amount of weight. I could definitely do with losing a few pounds and building some muscle though.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3088 on: December 09, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

‘A common complaint is that older people have to work twice as hard with their diets and exercise to get half of the results of younger people,’ said Dr Gerald Weissmann, Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal which published the study.

‘Now we have a much better idea why this is the case - our brown fat stops working as we age.

‘Unfortunately, until a way to turn it back on is developed, we'll have to be prepared to eat more salads and lean proteins, while logging more miles on the treadmill than our younger counterparts.’

donovan

« Reply #3089 on: December 09, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
As I'm not prone to exercising...

Try exercising prone.

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3090 on: December 09, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
Koreans in general seem to think we get paid a lot more than we do. At a meetup with Americans and Koreans, one of the Americans offered to pay for the whole meal because it was one of the Koreans' birthday. The other was surprised, and birthday Korean said to her friend "oh, well, it's because foreign English teachers make a lot of money. 3mil won a month"

I wish!!!
even if you only make 2.5m a month, you still get a free apartment. if you took the housing allowance, you'd be on 3m

2.5m is now the top of the payscale in most places in korea (public school). so you'd have to be here around 3 years or more to get that. the housing allowance is also pretty much a pittance these days, and hasn't increased for ages, while rent has continued to rise. and we might get housing but we don't get the huge chuseok and seollal bonuses the korean teachers do. and if you put those bonuses together, for even the junior korean teachers they will exceed what our housing allowance is every year.

not only that but korean teachers also get 300,000 Won per year of 'well-being' money. they can use that for pretty much anything that helps with their 'well-being'. massages, bus/train tickets to visit their relatives, etc.

Do you know how much their bonuses are?

Offline sixtieshappy

• Super Waygook
« Reply #3091 on: December 09, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

To be fair, it's pretty healthy to make lunch your largest meal in the day and just have some vegetables and maybe a little brown rice for dinner. Maybe some meat or something if it's a special occasion.

b) it's healthier.
c) it's cheaper.
d) you don't go to bed with a bunch of calories just waiting to be converted to fat tissue while you sleep

1500 calories is a perfectly reasonable and healthy amount of calories to have in a day.

That's not how that works

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #3092 on: December 09, 2016, 01:51:47 PM »
As I'm not prone to exercising...

Try exercising prone.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Prone, pronto!

Offline moonbrie

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3093 on: December 09, 2016, 03:13:31 PM »
Pandora, I know I started a big band station, but that doesn't mean I want to hear "In the Mood" and "A String of Pearls" and "Stompin' at the Savoy" in an interminable loop, each time played by a different band

Unfortunately jazz and classical are the only two genres that have this kind of problem, so I doubt they'd add some kind of fix for it  :blank:

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3094 on: December 09, 2016, 03:15:09 PM »

I wish!!!
I went on a date with a guy last year that told me that English teachers made 4 million a month. I was shocked that that seems to be what people think.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3095 on: December 09, 2016, 03:18:11 PM »

Yup. Post-college I definitely gained more squish around my middle because the job I got after graduating was very sedentary. As I'm not prone to exercising, I try to balance it out with watching my portion consumption and so far I haven't gained a terrible amount of weight. I could definitely do with losing a few pounds and building some muscle though.
Same. I played college soccer and then after I stopped, I definitely gained weight because I wasn't exercising everyday all day anymore and I ate more than I should have.

Offline grey

• Hero of Waygookistan
  • Cya West Japan aka Baby China
« Reply #3096 on: December 09, 2016, 03:23:23 PM »

b) it's healthier.
c) it's cheaper.

That's not how that works

Amen.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3097 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »

b) it's healthier.
c) it's cheaper.

1,500 calories would not be their average intake. that's what they would eat on a good (bad?) day, and that would be at the extreme upper end for them.

the school lunches are around 450-600 calories (this is what our nutrition info sheet says) if you eat the whole thing. if you eat half of it and chuck the other half away, you're looking at what, maybe around 300 calories that some of them are eating for lunch.

if you actually calculate the calories in some of the dishes i mentioned earlier: seaweed soup is around 80-100 calories, 1 cup of rice is about 200-300. so that combined with lunch is actually prob around 6-700 calories per day that some of these women are averaging. if they 'indulge' in ramyeon, that's about 4-500 calories depending on the brand.

and there is no ways anyone can say that being underweight is healthy. it can lead to a host of health problems like anemia, osteoporosis, missed periods (in women), hair loss, irregular hormone regulation, reduced fertility, chronic tiredness, compromised immune system, and dying earlier. there are even some studies that suggest that being underweight is more dangerous to your health than being overweight.

maintenance calories for a 25 year old female who does no exercise, weighs 45kg (i just rounded this up to 100lbs), and is the average height of a south korean female of 5 feet 3 inches, is 1,408 calories per day according to the Mifflin-St Jeor Equation. so.... unless they are eating at least 1,400 calories per day, it's not enough to remain healthy.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3098 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »
Do you know how much their bonuses are?

not really sure but i *think* it may be calculated as a percentage of their salary. so teachers who earn less get less, but it's still fairly large.

don't quote me on that though....

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3099 on: December 10, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Went for my haircut today and though the hairdresser can cut ok (slightly better than the other ones in my city), she styles my hair like sh*t.

This is the style I go for and I always remind her with the pic. I'm perfectly capable of styling my hair like that, in the mornings. Shower, 4min with a hairdryer, a little pomade and we're good to go.

I emphasise NOT to make it puffy or in any way resembling a K-pop star. She claims to understand then after cutting it, proceeds to puff it up, with the hairdryer, blowing over my natural part for extra puffiness and I end up with this... only messier.

At the end, she asks me "What do you think?" and I told her I didn't like it at all. Again, I showed her the picture for comparison. She then tries to placate me by saying how handsome I look. My hair was already loaded with product, so restyling would've taken too long and probably been another exercise in futility.
I usually grit my teeth and bear with the shame for the few minutes it takes me to get home and wash it out, but FFS, it's really not an outlandish style to get right.